Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Whistler 23-24

I'd certainly support Vail throwing some capital infrastructure $$$ at solutions to get alpine open faster on pow days rather than just faster lifts. the clustering of everyone at base, then at alpine lifts waiting for opening is to me a big driver of how everyone ends up in the same places at the same time and really contributes to a degraded experience. when things open closer together it certainly allows people to better filter throughout the mountain rather than everyone all at once. Fully understand that it will never be immediate and that staff are at the mercies of corporate operational constraints and certainly are doing a great job regardless. And definitely prefer caution over not, knowing how unforgiving the mountains can be even with control efforts.

Here's an idea: pay patrollers more and hire more of them!

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I'd certainly support Vail throwing some capital infrastructure $$$ at solutions to get alpine open faster on pow days rather than just faster lifts. the clustering of everyone at base, then at alpine lifts waiting for opening is to me a big driver of how everyone ends up in the same places at the same time and really contributes to a degraded experience. when things open closer together it certainly allows people to better filter throughout the mountain rather than everyone all at once. Fully understand that it will never be immediate and that staff are at the mercies of corporate operational constraints and certainly are doing a great job regardless. And definitely prefer caution over not, knowing how unforgiving the mountains can be even with control efforts.
    Gazex on all major start zones? Are there any drones that can fly in 80-100kmh winds that could be used to drop charges and inspect results (doubt it). Or they could increase the manpower budget if it’s possible to safely get bigger teams out there.

They could fund budget increases through https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/ex...n-patrol.aspx?

Wonder how that works in practice since on pow days they are limited by openings the same as everyone else. Guess it’s just lift line cutting. I do expect some kind of surge pricing or premium (alpine) lift pricing to happen at some point. Wish they would make WB an add-on to Epic and just raise prices in general 30-50% (with a subsidized family pass for lower income sea to sky families). Milk the tourists and citiots (me), keep margins the same with fewer customers and a better experience.

Wyssen, Gasex, O'bellx, seems there's some different options out there. Looks like Alta/Snowbord use the Wyssen and BC MOTI use those on Three Valley Gap too

Quote Originally Posted by raypruit View Post
    I feel like everything gets tracked faster than even 5 years ago
    I think there are a couple of factors at play.

Equipment has made skiing fresh snow and steep stuff so much easier. It has been a gradual change over 20 years or so.

Epic pass (and equivalents) mean a lot of people are skiing many more days than they used to. Like any skill, the more you do it the better you get, fitter and progress to more advanced stuff.

So 20 years ago on any given day there were probably only 10% of people on the mountain with the ability to ski the blacks, and even less the double blacks. Now that number is probably close to 50%. 20 years ago most of those people were sticking to the groomers, now they are bootpacking up spankys on pow days.

Another factor is a big improvement in weather forecasting tech, and availability of forecasts etc. People generally now know exactly which day is going to be the best 4-5days in advance, and can plan better to be there

Can't wind the clock back

Quote Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
    I think there are a couple of factors at play.

Equipment has made skiing fresh snow and steep stuff so much easier. It has been a gradual change over 20 years or so.

Epic pass (and equivalents) mean a lot of people are skiing many more days than they used to. Like any skill, the more you do it the better you get, fitter and progress to more advanced stuff.

So 20 years ago on any given day there were probably only 10% of people on the mountain with the ability to ski the blacks, and even less the double blacks. Now that number is probably close to 50%. 20 years ago most of those people were sticking to the groomers, now they are bootpacking up spankys on pow days.

Another factor is a big improvement in weather forecasting tech, and availability of forecasts etc. People generally now know exactly which day is going to be the best 4-5days in advance, and can plan better to be there

Can't wind the clock back
    Idea: Skinny skis should get on lifts 30 min before anyone else.

and now that they don't do breakfast, send freshtracks to Blackcomb for a few years!

The best plan for those with a flexible schedule is to show up after Spring School Break is over in late March to early April: the crowds are gone, almost everything is on end of season sale, and it is the best chance to see the sun. By mid April into early May one mountain gets shut down for lack of skiers and it is bike season in the valley and the sales are over.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    and now that they don't do breakfast, send freshtracks to Blackcomb for a few years!
    Good idea. The other advantage Blackcomb has is there are two lifts (Catskinner and Jersey) that aren't upload chairs, whereas Whistler only has Emerald.

Gasex seems like a great idea to me but I’m guessing you’d still need patrol to go and inspect everything anyways so maybe not a huge time saver?

I’m surprised vail doesn’t charge more for passes. I feel like the market can definitely bear it. I honestly think if they made a kick in the nuts mandatory to get a pass most of the pass holders I know would still do it. I would. I mean are you really going to not ride whistler? Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Good idea. The other advantage Blackcomb has is there are two lifts (Catskinner and Jersey) that aren't upload chairs, whereas Whistler only has Emerald.
    Thats enough out of you guys, you leave Blackcomb outta this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    The best plan for those with a flexible schedule is to show up after Spring School Break is over in late March to early April: the crowds are gone, almost everything is on end of season sale, and it is the best chance to see the sun. By mid April into early May one mountain gets shut down for lack of skiers and it is bike season in the valley and the sales are over.
    And you still have a better chance of skiing deep pow at WB in April than you do all year at Sun Peaks!

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    And you still have a better chance of skiing deep pow at WB in April than you do all year at Sun Peaks!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    This is not to say that things suck. They are still most certainly awesome and the skiing at W/B is often unrivalled. Just saying it's different - even for a touron like me.
    It's still good - just not as good as it used to be. And you have to deal with way more BS to get the goods.

^^^This is true as Sun Peaks is not for powder hounds, it is for speed freaks: Look down a run, no one else is on it, go as fast as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    Sun Peaks is not for powder hounds, it is for speed freaks: Look down a run, no one else is on it, go as fast as you want.
    SP is cold fast snow and bluebird skies. 2 decades ago, Austrian alpine team created a dedicated run for race training in November when the World Cup season starts in North America. SP also has a speed skiing track (max 180 kmph).

Getting this back to Whistler discussion, I want to hear how Harmony and Glacier were today? I came home to Seattle last night after 3 days. Thursday was awesome groomers in the sun. Friday was dumping all day with great snow and full alpine. Saturday was the biggest shit show I've ever seen at Blackcomb base
    Gondi running slow and lines going further than the eye could see. I waited 2.5 hours in the pouring rain to get on the gondola. Luckily the snow on the upper mountain made it worth it. Surprisingly light lines up on the mountain for how many people were heading up. Did a few deep laps in Jersey before it got shut down again and then lapped Catskinner until even it got shut down. Last lap up Excelerator at 4:10 was still great. Today must have been all time. Thanks Clownshoe and team for keeping us skiing with the crazy weather and I'm glad some of the alpine opened for folks today.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I can only speak for blackcomb, but think that its changed significantly in what gets skied first. Changing of the upload setup i think. For instance i think a lot of the stuff that goes back to old solar coaster station gets skied slower, but excel trees take even more of a hit. No Horstman means spankys gets hit by all the people who may have hit the tbar and gone to pakalolo and swiss cheese. Still often find good snow in Bushrat late in the day. Even this last storm the amount of goobers just hanging out at the top of the ladder taking photos was insane. I guess without showcase thats where they end up
    i haven't been to w/b in a long time.. there's no more horstman t-bar AND no showcase??

Horstman has been removed. Showcase is still in place, but hasn't operated this season at all. The snowpack has got to be twice what it was a month ago so now I'm curious if they'll try to run it for the last month of the season. At this point I sort of doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Horstman has been removed. Showcase is still in place, but hasn't operated this season at all. The snowpack has got to be twice what it was a month ago so now I'm curious if they'll try to run it for the last month of the season. At this point I sort of doubt it.
    I could swear I saw it running for a bit Friday morning, but if it was (I swear I wasn't going crazy), it must have just been patrol going up. Lots of people hiking/skinning up.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I could swear I saw it running for a bit Friday morning, but if it was (I swear I wasn't going crazy), it must have just been patrol going up. Lots of people hiking/skinning up.
    If patrol can ride it then not sure why it can't be opened assuming avy control has been completed on any given day. I suppose there could be some kind of capacity issues. That's about the only explanation I can think of.

They have pushing snow up to make the track for it, not sure how close it is now after this last storm. If they can get it for spring break crowds I assume they will, but no point after that because don’t they close it during the late season lift schedule?

They have pushing snow up to make the track for it, not sure how close it is now after this last storm. If they can get it for spring break crowds I assume they will, but no point after that because don’t they close it during the late season lift schedule?
    Blackcomb closes in April this year.

That was the most pow i've ridden over a two day period in a long long while. Road bell to bell on saturday and bell to 3 yesterday. Being ahead of the upload clusterfuck makes things so much easier. Was wild to see the lines completely die at 11 on Saturday, its 75% of the people said fuck this im going home leaving for everyone else. Was going to head to harmony once it cracked, but opted for another red lap. Lower trees really taking shape.

Oh and for the tbar, with the glacier recession the towers are too tall / ropes too short so punters are even more likely to get bounced is what im hearing.

Somewhere on blackcomb at 1:05pm on saturday...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2098.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	490074

Oh and one last thing, if any one of you dentists or friends of dentists have a spare house/suite/condo that you would like to rent out to a lovely couple who will keep it immaculate for you please reach out. Housing is getting very desperate up here and i'm just too far out on the WHA list for it to happen.