Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 23-24

yikes

This should be discussed in the slide zone. Apex irresponsible content IMHO. Dude posting this as a lesson in calculated risk is fucking insane.

Sent from my CPH2417 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post
    This should be discussed in the slide zone. Apex irresponsible content IMHO. Dude posting this as a lesson in calculated risk is fucking insane.

The dude is insane. Check out the comments on his instagram post, telling off people who are pointing out that he's very lucky. Basic attitude is 'i knew exactly what i was doing'

Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post

It gets even better in the comments... someone asked if he would ski the same run again knowing what he knows now, and he responds with 'yes'. Are you kidding me.

This is all IMO and having skied that line numerous times

I'm glad he posted it.

We can agree or disagree about his plan. We can agree or disagree about the risk tolerance. But he had a plan and executed it.

As for the two cents.

- that safe zone is pretty far below him (perhaps 15m+).
    - that's a large terrain trap
    - that was a lot of wind the day before.
    - there's quite a few other choices on Disease not as exposed

On that basis my plan would have been to not ski that line but that's my personal call based on my personal risk tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    This is all IMO and having skied that line numerous times

I'm glad he posted it.

We can agree or disagree about his plan. We can agree or disagree about the risk tolerance. But he had a plan and executed it.

As for the two cents.

- that safe zone is pretty far below him (perhaps 15m+).
    - that's a large terrain trap
    - that was a lot of wind the day before.
    - there's quite a few other choices on Disease not as exposed

On that basis my plan would have been to not ski that line but that's my personal call based on my personal risk tolerance.
    I am also glad he posted it. Also agree that he had 'plan' and executed it.

Where I disagree is his attitude that even with his valuable ex-post knowledge (i.e. slope gave way with 5-ft crown, propagated for hundred feet), he would've done it again. IMO, that shows extreme hubris.. overconfidence in one's abilities/judgment/skill/'plan' and lack of respect for the mountain & conditions.

Everyone makes mistakes, nothing against him on that. Failure to recognize (much less learn) from your mistake, which could take your life next time? That is insane.

I think, from watching the video several times, that asshat didn't suspect in advance it was going to slide. His buddy that was filming alerted him to the slide and told him where to go.

He knew afterwards he had incredible footage and needed to concoct a story so he could share it without looking like a total idiot.

Instead, he just looks like an arrogant stupid ass.

7th just opened

Quote Originally Posted by kmkmkmk View Post
    I think, from watching the video several times, that asshat didn't suspect in advance it was going to slide. His buddy that was filming alerted him to the slide and told him where to go.

He knew afterwards he had incredible footage and needed to concoct a story so he could share it without looking like a total idiot.

Instead, he just looks like an arrogant stupid ass.
    ^^^^Kmk.....You nailed it. Buddy should have admitted that he was very, very, very lucky and this is a dangerous unpredictable spot that people should take extreme caution around, instead of making it look like anyone can do this. In other words he would benefit more by discouraging others and getting them to not ski his line in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Disease Ridge snowboarder triggered
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1VyO...BkaXQzMmF6MTQy
    3 laps on Disease today couple down the ridge proper, one down the face, wasn’t moving-let those doing a course sort out the cornice first. Another 3 in the Chuting gallery, first face shots of the season!!
    Got 7th open today, great snow down to treeline, patrol not letting anyone down the N side/Sudan cause of the open glacier.

Whistler alpine open too

Looks like schmoo tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Lineup for creek side gondola all the way out to the highway for a new record
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I seriously doubt it was a "new record" also it was because the lifts opened late on Tuesday due to snow and ice removal. Creekside opened at 9:55 according to whistlerpeak.com (supposed to be 8:30). I'm sure the increased capacity helped move the line pretty nicely once the lift finally cracked.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    ^^^^Kmk.....You nailed it. Buddy should have admitted that he was very, very, very lucky and this is a dangerous unpredictable spot that people should take extreme caution around, instead of making it look like anyone can do this. In other words he would benefit more by discouraging others and getting them to not ski his line in the future.
    Hey, he knew what he was doing, he told us afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I seriously doubt it was a "new record" also it was because the lifts opened late on Tuesday due to snow and ice removal. Creekside opened at 9:55 according to whistlerpeak.com (supposed to be 8:30). I'm sure the increased capacity helped move the line pretty nicely once the lift finally cracked.
    Yeah exactly this - I got there at around 7:45 and was one of the first people in the singles line, it wasn't a particularly busy day. In retrospect should have called it at 9:00 and driven to the village but hindsight 20/20 etc.

one of the local bc news outlets said it was a new record, but can we agree it was a really really long line ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Uploaded 11 am today, big queue at red (pocket beer check). On way up saw that Harmony had cracked but also big line formed at Peak. Fought my instinct to be a Peak Chair gremlin and took the guaranteed option on Harmony. Another 25 min queue. Ski'd H6 which was quite nice, started setting up a bit halfway down Harmony and was a bit mash for the bottom lift line. Fun snow, tough light, and big lines. Only got two before work. Wanted to give Exci a poke but the light looked horrendous. Onwards and upwards.

Edit: Oh and Peak cracked around 1:30 I think. Heard from a few people that got stitched up in the line but no one that actually got turns so no beta there.

Hmmmm, during Covid (yeh I know, singles, spacing etc) line could go thru the market, down the stairs by the liquor store, loop back under the pedestrian bridge, then under the highway over by the Tim Hortons and out of sight down towards the valley trail. The sight of that would send me back home.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    one of the local bc news outlets said it was a new record, but can we agree it was a really really long line ?
    We can. I'm just getting a bit sick of all the blather about how terrible the skiing and lineups are.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedthesailor View Post
    Uploaded 11 am today, big queue at red (pocket beer check). On way up saw that Harmony had cracked but also big line formed at Peak. Fought my instinct to be a Peak Chair gremlin and took the guaranteed option on Harmony. Another 25 min queue. Ski'd H6 which was quite nice, started setting up a bit halfway down Harmony and was a bit mash for the bottom lift line. Fun snow, tough light, and big lines. Only got two before work. Wanted to give Exci a poke but the light looked horrendous. Onwards and upwards.

Edit: Oh and Peak cracked around 1:30 I think. Heard from a few people that got stitched up in the line but no one that actually got turns so no beta there.
    Pocket beer check? Like staff checking people for booze at Red? Never seen or heard of that outside closing day on village upload.

Whistler 23-24

In laws decided to take a last minute whistler trip - the first time in many years we didn’t buy edge cards.
    Are there any ways to get discounted tickets these days or should i prepare to accept my beating?
    TIA…

When? A bit of a discount buying them on line, not much probably not even enough to get a burger and fries with the savings.

Next week (first week of Jan)

Theres buddy passes and ski with a friend, but that person has to be there with you when you buy the tickets. Other than that, you are pretty hooped.

Yep, bend over and take it. But, yes, make sure you purchase them online now rather than wait until you get to Whistler. The walk-up rate is insane.

Finally the precipitation fell in the correct physical state for rhe season. -6 at East Col, -4 at Circle Lake. Winds nil. Skies clear.

200cms HS at Circle Lake (data from someone else). 30cms at the lake itself proper so don't go booting around too aggressively on the lake snow if you don't want wet feet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240101_124935.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	481337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240101_135745_447.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	481339Name:  20240101_120557.jpeg
Views: 557
Size:  50.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20240101_105417.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	481341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240101_135745_492.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	481342