Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice On A Floor Jack?

Won't be used much, likely just spring and fall. Any reason not to get one on Amazon?
    Any particular models to look at/avoid?
    Harbor Freight 'good enough'?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Harbor Freight should be more than good enough. I do use mine frequently and made the mistake of not getting a better, lighter one (I may end up with two jacks as a result), but I see no reason Amazon wouldn't work (as long as you're cool with helping fund the tech overlords who will one day enslave us all).
    [quote][//quote]

I've only helped my uncle Jack off his horse. Ha.

I wish I could help but I'm going to be very interested in seeing what suggested. Good question.

Harbor Freight has had a jack stand recall if that’s good enough

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Won't be used much, likely just spring and fall. Any reason not to get one on Amazon?
    Any particular models to look at/avoid?
    Harbor Freight 'good enough'?
    Question. Is it for a truck, suv or car. Had a super light weight jack bc not high enough for my Outback.

Silverado 1500. But I have used RV blocks to get more height, I guess.

Meh, that recall was a few years ago. Everyone has recalls on all sortsa shit. I have a few years of good use on my HF jack and would recommend one, they're tough to beat for the price.

You might find a good 5 ton bottle jack with 18" lift height at the right price on Amazon. That's what I'd be looking at for a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Silverado 1500. But I have used RV blocks to get more height, I guess.
    You think bottle jack or floor jack?
    The bottle jack is a space saver but IME you need a stable flat surface to use it.
    The floor jack is a lot easier to deal with said surface is not idea.

True

No, big ol' floor jack.

I have this one from Costco but I thought I paid a lot less for it
    https://www.costco.com/3-ton-profess...100222458.html

If you're gonna use it to swap rims get the BIG one. Most of the regular ones don't go high enough to jack up a SUV side with the suspension hanging free.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

IME harbor freight more than good enough. But, I’d also check craigslist. A lot of floor jacks there are beat but it’s worth the price of looking.

all the above warnings about height are good; I got the hf 1-1/2 ton racing one for like 70 bucks but it doesn’t go high enough for my vans and I end up fucking around w blocks of wood, which should go in the things that annoy thread

I've got a harbor freight floor jack (or maybe autozone - regardless, pretty cheap) that's probably 12ish years old. Works great. Has spent plenty of time holding up full size diesel pickups.

And yeah, floor jack is way nicer for garage work than some little bottle jack.

It’s just a hydraulic jack. It’s not like there’s been some fucking light year Leap in hydraulic jack technology in the last few years. It’s a basic fucking tool. And harbor freight excels at basic fucking tools. And the nice thing about harbor fucking freight is it even if their fucking shitty ass tools do fail at their assigned, basic fucking function, they will replace it for free with another one right off the shelf.

what more do you want?

fact.

Advice On A Floor Jack?

My HF 5 ton is pushing 10 years old. Same endorsement as toast, lots of time under big heavy trucks, campers, vans with no issues. A bottle jack is nice to keep in a full size truck, since most stock scissor jacks suck, but its not the right tool for use in the garage IME.

Rideit - I'm in the market too and am looking at the HF 3 ton Low profile w/ rapid pump. It's on sale now for $150. In red.

It's the second tallest at 19 7/8" lift, but only needs 3 1/8" to get under my Vdub.
    I think it's the money shot so long as it gets your wheels offa the ground.

Next tallest is the 4 ton at 3/8" gain and needing another 1 1/8" to get under. For $240.
    No brainer.

If you're interested, I'd split it with ya.

I'm ready to switch some winter wheels here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    It’s just a hydraulic jack. It’s not like there’s been some fucking light year Leap in hydraulic jack technology in the last few years. It’s a basic fucking tool. And harbor freight excels at basic fucking tools. And the nice thing about harbor fucking freight is it even if their fucking shitty ass tools do fail at their assigned, basic fucking function, they will replace it for free with another one right off the shelf.

what more do you want?

fact.
    Yep.

I have a HF "racing" one and another one that is basically the exact same thing but labeled "Husky". Having 2 is super nice for wheel rotation.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

If ya get the red one your tire rotations will go faster
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I have a Harbor Freight floor jack - a low profile long reach/ high lift one. Fits under cars but had enough height for 4WD trucks. No complaints at all.

It's my second one from HF. First one lasted around 15 years before hydraulic leak started. Only have 5 years or so on the new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I bought my son one of these, liked it enough to get one myself
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...ray-70482.html

+1 on the HF low profile long reach floor jack.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have a Harbor Freight floor jack - a low profile long reach/ high lift one. Fits under cars but had enough height for 4WD trucks. No complaints at all.

It's my second one from HF. First one lasted around 15 years before hydraulic leak started. Only have 5 years or so on the new one.

I got the rapid lift from HF but brought it back because it was too hard for me to pump.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.