Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Stoke Dreams 2024: Euro BBI Ski Skolarships

Background
    BBI Euro began in 2019 when Mt Lodge made the fateful offer to host a bunch of mostly-US ski fiends of various levels of dirtbaggery. It is now a yearly celebration of the goodness of community, huge mountains, and skiing set in a truly special spot in the Swiss Alps. Over the past few years, mags have organized to send other mags to share in the abundance of vertical, food, camaraderie, and stoke that makes the gathering. This is the latest iteration of Stoke Dreams fundraising for BBIEuro 2024.

The main BBIEuro 2024 thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...59#post6919659

Fundraising
    GoFundMe link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/stoke-dreams-2024

No minimum amount to donate. Get creative. Sell some old gear taking up space in your closet and donate all or a percent of profits to Stoke Dreams.

The goal is to fund 2 mags at a level that makes experiencing the primo ski experience of Switzerland while staying at Mt Lodge accessible to more folks. We recognize that this level varies a lot depending on where a mag lives, their life situation, and all kinds of other shit. The target for this year is $1600 per ski skolar. Hopefully, this covers a flight (<$1k), and 5 nights of double occupancy, and breakfast/lunch at Mt Lodge. Ideally with a few sheckles to spare.

If any additional multiples of $1600 are raised, additional ski skolars will be added. Any funds between increments will be split amongst the skolars and a general stoke fund entrusted to long-established BBIEuro mags for use in increasing stoke (guide fees, gifts for hosts, bar tabs, espressos, etc).

Nominations, Selection, etc
    Nominations should be posted in this thread (not main BBI Euro or PMs). +1 and add context to any nominations you particularly want to support.

We'll give skolars the opportunity to accept or decline. Do so either in the thread or via PM. Make sure you can work out the logistics of getting to Euro land. Get on the flight. Tell Vendul you're coming. Take some ski clothes. Everything else can work out.

The will of the collective directs the decision-making. We're not doing a poll or votes or any of that chicanery.

Skolars are responsible for the use of the funds. Pics, TRs and general stoke appreciated but not required.

Timeline
    Getting this done early helps people make efficient plans. With that in mind.

All nominations in by Nov 3.

Potential ski skolars have til Nov 10 to confirm if they are in or out.

Initial disbursement to Ski Skolars mid-November (so they can buy flights.)

Fundraiser wraps Dec 20th. Final disbursement after that.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 09-20-2023 at 08:09 PM.

In
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Nominations that have reached me via other means. Consider yourselves nominationed.

ill advised strategy

telefreewastach

tgapp

I'm in for $100.

This trip and ski skolarship were a lifechanger for me. Thank you everyone.

I am stoked to vote for Tgapp. When he won a river trip permit, he gave me a slot in the crew, even tho it didn't happen due to some dangerously high water.
    Never met, never conversed.

So let's maybe get him over.

A couple of other solid candidates would be Telefreewasatch and Ill advised Strategy.

Because they both bring a lot to the forum, imho.

And both are ripping skiers.

In

Thanks for starting this. I will be contributing. One of the cool things that happens around here.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Thanks for starting this. I will be contributing. One of the cool things that happens around here.
    Agreed… donated $37 for the effort in addition to total consciousness. Gunga-Ga-Loonga.

I'll be contributing as soon as I can. Would love to see people get stoked out on what looks like an amazing experience.

I'm in, I lurve BBI Yurp and vendul is the mang - sad I can't attend this year, but I'll be on the same continent at least.

Haven't met tgapp, but he gets my vote for general good vibes on the forum. Have met and skied with IAS (and even got into a flamewar online, years before we met) and he gets my other vote for his overall radness if funding for another skilership comes through.

If we do awesome and actually get to 4800 TFW is definitely deserving.

Another vote for tgapp. I was just telling another mag (Criscam) on a bike ride tonight that he is genuinely one of the best people I’ve ever met. Mentors a kid through big brothers, donated organs to total strangers (just….because), picks up litter when walking to the crag, etc.

Not to mention the guy has an amount of emotional intelligence that blows me away. Even though he’s much younger than me I wouldn’t hesitate to ask for his advice. He’d have a blast on this trip and those already going would dig hanging out with him.

And I would also 2nd the nomination for Ill Advised Strategy, if anyone knows where he is….

In - have a great trip!

In.
    Not for me, myself, I, or my wife.
    Dollars aren't a problem round here.
    For now.
    My dollars are gonna be spent on the two we select here.
    Gotta love this shit, eh Dbd?
    And thanks for the knowhow to make it happen so sudden...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

mags - you folks are so sweet. i've been really going through it lately; not to complain too much since plenty of others have it way worse, but work (and, well, life in general) has been so deeply demoralizing and depressing that it's hard for me to, well, do just about anything that brings me joy. just reading the nice things that many of you have to say here is really touching, and i'm humbled to be part of such an amazing community. is someone cutting onions here?

----

on the nomination: honestly guys, i'm really touched. and there's absolutely zero chance i could realistically make this trip work on my own, not without selling a lot of shit (which i realistically need to do anyway), *but* - if i'm gonna get any sort of hand out from the community, then let it be an iKon pass for the i grom mentor from the group buy. anyone who has skied with him knows that he is a fucking gem; kind to everyone, SUPER stoked, embodies what skiing is all about, chats with everyone on the chair. heart of fucking gold, and it seriously hurts me that i can't help him with a pass this year (i did last year, but, well, fuck divorce). his life is far, far, better because he found skiing. holy shit.

so -- that's probably a funny way of declining; or rather, saying that if there's a mag more worthy of Yurp, send them in my place knowing that i'll get there, eventually - i just want my grom to ski (and meet) more of you all. the kid fucking rocks, seriously.

----

on the fundraiser: i'll do the same thing i did last year, which is, if you donate, PM me your address and i'll mail you a bag of coffee. not because i want the nomination - because this community absolutely rocks and i am so inspired by all the good will here. lord knows i'm the absolute worst at sending things out in a timely manner, but i do mail the day after roasting, and i've got a list (doebedoe is surprisingly kind to me esp knowing how much coffee i owe him after he picked up my bar tab in Boulder last month)

oh and - i was a dick last time and i made fun of Buttah and i'm sorry for being cunty. Buttah, I owe you coffee and i hope you'll forgive me and let me send you a bag to make amends

thanks all, i'm deeply touched. and i mean it about coffee. donate, pm me your address, i'll roast a fuckton.

This trip will not be in the cards for us this year with the new little dude in the house. I’d put my money in tgapps pocket any day but, selfishly, I’d rather do it when I can be there to ride and imbibe with him myself.

I’ll get some funds together for a donation no doubt.

Tgapp, why not both? Get the kid the pass and you to Europe is what I say.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hear, Hear

I just donated a small amount I could afford because I have had so many amazing experiences with people from this here TGR.
    I PM ed tgapp about coffee but I will pay you for it. Beans aren't free!

So chin up tgapp and anyone else going through stuff. There are tons of cool people out there who want to help other people.

tgapp i bet if you had a 'get me to BBI sale' it would all turn out great. Not just funding it but getting positive energy when you need it from others who have a little to spare right now.

When the ikon pass thing comes up, I will try to remember to nominate the kid.

Happy trails

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    mags - you folks are so sweet. i've been really going through it lately; not to complain too much since plenty of others have it way worse, but work (and, well, life in general) has been so deeply demoralizing and depressing that it's hard for me to, well, do just about anything that brings me joy. just reading the nice things that many of you have to say here is really touching, and i'm humbled to be part of such an amazing community. is someone cutting onions here?

----

on the nomination: honestly guys, i'm really touched. and there's absolutely zero chance i could realistically make this trip work on my own, not without selling a lot of shit (which i realistically need to do anyway), *but* - if i'm gonna get any sort of hand out from the community, then let it be an iKon pass for the i grom mentor from the group buy. anyone who has skied with him knows that he is a fucking gem; kind to everyone, SUPER stoked, embodies what skiing is all about, chats with everyone on the chair. heart of fucking gold, and it seriously hurts me that i can't help him with a pass this year (i did last year, but, well, fuck divorce). his life is far, far, better because he found skiing. holy shit.

so -- that's probably a funny way of declining; or rather, saying that if there's a mag more worthy of Yurp, send them in my place knowing that i'll get there, eventually - i just want my grom to ski (and meet) more of you all. the kid fucking rocks, seriously.

----

on the fundraiser: i'll do the same thing i did last year, which is, if you donate, PM me your address and i'll mail you a bag of coffee. not because i want the nomination - because this community absolutely rocks and i am so inspired by all the good will here. lord knows i'm the absolute worst at sending things out in a timely manner, but i do mail the day after roasting, and i've got a list (doebedoe is surprisingly kind to me esp knowing how much coffee i owe him after he picked up my bar tab in Boulder last month)

oh and - i was a dick last time and i made fun of Buttah and i'm sorry for being cunty. Buttah, I owe you coffee and i hope you'll forgive me and let me send you a bag to make amends

thanks all, i'm deeply touched. and i mean it about coffee. donate, pm me your address, i'll roast a fuckton.
    Last edited by jhyatt; 09-21-2023 at 08:56 PM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Thanks for the contributions to the stoke fund ya'll. $2, $20, $200 -- it all adds up fast. Knowing that so many people want to share the abundance and experience is what makes this special.

tgapp -- As the organizer I'm not the decider of how Stoke Dreams occur. I think in the spirit of priors sending at least one mag to Mt Lodge is the foremost priority. But I'm confident in the collective. And am open to facilitating other stoke. You do so much to take care of others. Don't forget to take care of yourself. A trip to Euroland can be some of that special sauce that keeps ya going.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    In.
    Not for me, myself, I, or my wife.
    Dollars aren't a problem round here.
    For now.
    My dollars are gonna be spent on the two we select here.
    Gotta love this shit, eh Dbd?
    And thanks for the knowhow to make it happen so sudden...
    I'll take that as a decline for now.

I do appreciate the unusual community of this place. Ive gotten to meet and ski with a bunch of really good folks. I haven't been able to get to Euroland since the Inaugural, but it was damn influential. And it'll happen some day again. But like jackattack I'm welcoming a lil one in a couple month. Combined with 2 weeks away in May with the old man for a bucket list trip -- can't ask the wife for this one. So this is my little way of participating.

Currently got on my BBIEuro tshirt. About to ride over to coffee shop to buy some darker roast beans for pulling some 'spro.

Tgapp: no shame in accepting a ski scholarship. I know you will pay it back to the community. Bro-model for this is Djongo, last year he accepted the scholarship and it changed his life. This year he is donating generously. What goes around comes around.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Would love to do this one of these years.

Happy to donate to tgapp and others and live vicariously through them for now though

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

In for a hundo...I hope it changes someone's life. Once again, life gets in the way and I won't be able to go this year but one of these days...

Donated. Would make me feel good to help sponsor tgapp and or ill advised. Two of my favorite people I've never met.

Pretty cool waking up on a cool fall morning, and seeing us past the 1/2 way point of getting one mag over there -- thanks Fleaches, Mr West and ISBD.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/stoke-dreams-2024

It's a testament to his overall impact here that he's still been nominated, but ill-advised strategy has not logged on here in 5 months and has only posted once in the last year. I miss the guy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think he's been named in every scholarship.
    If he's healed up, ASmileyFace would be my nomination. He always brings some A+ San Juan stoke to the forum.