Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Euro Bobby Baker Invitational 2024 - It's Your Turn...

And the invitation is extended to you!

March 3-10 2024

Well, mags and magettes, we're gonna throw a ski party in Switzerland next spring and would sure like to ski ya.

I was one of the fortunate four who received the 'Skilarship' 2 winters ago and feel it's my duty to give that back to you now.
    It was an epic trip for this lifelong skier.

For the uninitiated, I'd argue that this could be the single greatest way to ski in the Alps for your first trip.

The ease of access (flights and trains) , the lodging deal, the big group of mags and the unique camaraderie that comes with meeting new folks and seeing/skiing with friends, the Mt. Lodge and it's Mag owners... so much to make it awesome.

The Lodge is essentially ours for those days. It has a private full bar about 25 paces from the Main dining area. It's all set...

And for cheap.
    I bought a RT from JH to Zurich yesterday for just under a grand with a coupla seat upgrades.

Room costs at The Mt. Lodge will be as such, my latest info:

Single Occupancy in a Double bedroom - 160 chf per night
    Double " " - 100 chf PP pn
    Triple Room - 90 chf PP pn
    Family Room 2 adj. rms., double/2sgl. - 80 chf PP pn
    Includes: Room, Breakfast, Dinner, and a shuttle transfer to a day trip.

That info is second hand but from a mag who spoke with Michele, the Awesome mag Owner/Host of the Mt. Lodge.
    He and his wife Serena run the place and it's an incredible deal.
    I reserve the right to be wrong on some of that but mostly, I think it's correct.

Other mags will be skiing elsewhere on the continent then, reach out if you're gonna be anywhere near and maybe we can cross tracks some. Unless it's pow, then don't be janking my eights, biotch.

There's so much to say but as an intro I'm going to attach Buster's info filled Front page from the last attempt at a shindig.

All but 3 or 4 mags bailed last year due to low tide.
    Kudos to GFT, TU and CH for keeping the fire alive through the tough times.

Like 3 Cro Mag warriors in 'Quest for Fire', They maintained the Flame of the Invitational.
    Solid.

More info will be forthcoming, but this is your Portal to the Scene, C'mon in and Dig it.
    Ramp up yer stoke and join us...

Buster's post from last year; I added new dates for title only.

EUROBBI2024 MARCH 3-10 2024HTTPS://WWW.MT-LODGE.COM/ RUERAS, CH

Next spring, consider joining a chronic disorder proposed to be precipitated (mmm...) by a combination of genetic, biological/pharmacological and social factors at a nexus of freeriding and powder skiing in the Alps, the Andermatt-Disentis SkiArena.

https://vcdn.bergfex.at/images/resiz...5a9f6b6@2x.jpg

https://www.bergfex.com/andermatt-oberalp-sedrun/

Our very own @vendul will be hosting as usual with deals and steals for the august consortium of miscreants, ne'er do wells and misfits who lust to ski big, steep lines across a complex of lift assisted offpiste routes unparalleled in North America. Enjoy Swiss precision with Italian warmth, food and charm athttps://www.mt-lodge.com/ . Our host usually organizes some killer side trips to other gigantic ski complexes within an easy days drive or train trip. There is a reservation link via https://www.mt-lodge.com/ .

The skiing is massive with 4900 vertical feet (1500 m) of unbounded skiing at Andermatt on the West end to almost 5600 vertical feet (1700m)of unbounded skiing at Disentis on the East end with sidecountry routes of over 8000 vertical feet. Between those bookends is 20 miles (32 km) of lift served skiing spanning 4 valleys. Quality includes everything from vertigo inducing couloirs to smooth groomers ending with historic hotel bars from 1722 or beautiful wood huttes along the pistes.

Access is simple and unlike anything in North America: land in either Geneva or Zurich and after customs, just walk downstairs to the train station, grab a ticket and be at your destination in 3+ hours on trains that have skiracks.

It's relatively inexpensive with flights from major North American hubs for about $750US and daily lift tickets less than $60US. Daily expenses can be kept to about $200 a day including, lodging, lifts and food. It's great to have cell access.

Disentis sidecountry :

Day trip to St. Moritz:

Tagged the Gemsstock tram:

A view of the 4900 vertical foot North face of the Gemsstock tram in Andermatt showing less than half of the tram served access.

Previous years threads with boatloads of applicable information and stoke:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-March-21-2019
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...mtlodge-sedrun
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...UN-SWITZERLAND
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-com-Rueras-CH

How:

0) Pack light: pack the basics in a 40L backpack including an outer layer of goretex, shell and pants or bibs, 5 sets undies, 5 sets socks, 2 sets long underwear, 2 goggles, 3 sets gloves, transceiver, shovel and probe. Carry on your boots as well as this 40L backpack. For skis and extras, a rollerbag is key in Switzerland, makes the trains a lot easier. Do not overpack. I bring 1 pair of middle to fat skis with touring bindings and go minimal. Be prepared to have the airlines lose your checked bag so you can ski during the few days they may take to get your stuff to you. Skis are easy to rent there. Take 1 pair of light packable shoes to wear, they're nice to pack along and wear at the end of the day riding the train or taxi back to mtn_lodge. Bring water bottles and the usual bc/sidecountry equipment.
    Bring an electrical outlet adapter to support your cell phone charger, outlets are different in Europe. A cell phone is absolutely indispensible

1) Buy a rt airfare on a euro carrier, much better experience. Avoid air canada, iceland air, united or super deals at 20% less than other fares. Air France, British Air or Lufthansa are all worth the extra $50-100. Be sure to include 1 checked bag, your roller ski bag, in your ticket. Carry on your boots and 40L.

2) Unless you know what driving entails, buy a train ticket here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/f...fahrplan.xhtml. Driving is much more expensive in Yurp and may be worth the flexibility if you absolutely have to have that. Plus, a train is less environmentally damaging. Swiss trains are fantastic. Consider a half price card which will get you half price on train and lift tickets: https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...ravelcard.html .

On landing, pass through customs, collect your skis and head down to the trains below the station in ZRH and GVA. Buy a ticket, it's just so ridiculously easy, like nothing in N. America.

3) mtn_lodge is in Rueras, Switzerland, a small stop "by request" village on the East side of the Oberalp Pass. Just walk about 500 feet down the path and streets from the tiny station to the main street. mtn_lodge is easy to spot. Virtually everything for bed, food and drink is taken care of there as well as endless information and a wonderful vibe.

4) Lift tickets are either by half price as above or prepurchase at https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...edrun-disentis You will want to include the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn on your ticket. You will be shocked at how cheap they are.
    Cell service is important to be able to find others, let them find you or hail a taxi from some sidecountry line.

5) On returning home, you can ski your last day and take a train to your return airport. At ZRH, Moevenpick is about $120/night and has an airport shuttle. It's also worth to take a day in Luzern which is about an hour+ to ZRH, so one could stay there instead of ZRH area.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>> Contact @alias_rice for further details.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Atages

Well

Last edited by Danno; 09-05-2023 at 02:01 PM.

RADNESS!

Euro Bobby Baker Invitational 2024 - It's Your Turn...

Ugh my acl (Marcia Brady voice). …curses. It’s does sound epic

I'm 99% in. Just need to get a ticket.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The online reservation system for mt-lodge.com is blocked out for March 1-9. mt-lodge is reserved for just us in that interval.

To get the maggot deal, email info@mt-lodge.com with your TGR handle and desired dates and accommodation request.

100chf/night for double occupancy room, breakfast and dinner within walking distance of the train which takes you directly to the lifts in 2 minutes is an incredible deal. You can ski back to within 3 blocks of the hotel.

Included in that price is a shuttle to day ski another megacomplex, one of St.Moritz, Laax, Arosa/Lenzerheide, Toggenburg, Bivio or Pizol,

All Swiss train info here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/f...fahrplan.xhtml .

Map of Rueras. The little blue square near the top of the image is the train station. Mountain Lodge is indicated near the bottom center of the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rueras.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	469092  
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Reading through the other threads, seems like its a mix of everyone and all abilities?

Only beginners. No one has made it past straightline death wedge yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I bought a RT yesterday for just under a grand with a coupla seat upgrades.
    Ditto, except closer to $1,200 because Helena. I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Ditto, except closer to $1,200 because Helena. I'm in.
    w000t!
    Michele has offered to queue up a guided day for the crazy. There's a ton of scary, big routes in the area. If that's what you're into.

And yeah. lots of ability variability. Normally, amorphous clots of like minded induhviduals form over the course of the week, shifting, exchanging as the days pass. It's loose and there's undoubtedly a fit for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Reading through the other threads, seems like its a mix of everyone and all abilities?
    If I can find people to ski with anything can! One of the best parts of this shindig is seeing mags ski shit that they’d never normally attempt, complete with shit eating grins.

Makes sense. Just wondering because knowing groups like this I will definitely ditch the wife to ski with some legit dudes.

Stoked to have you Yeahman!

The walk from the train station down the little zigzag road is about 1/4 mile tops, Maybe an 1/8th.

It's a grunt up for some lowlanders but still only takes 5 minutes and 3500 calories.
    Some mags walked up fully dressed for cold and were sweating in about 100 paces.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm 99% in. Just need to get a ticket.
    Ticket purchased. Arriving 3/3, departing 3/10. While I did book on United, took the advice above and it's actually a Lufthansa code share.

Possible low post mag joining, but if he doesn't, I'd be down for sharing a room with someone to cut down on expenses.

So. Stoked.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

One question that relates to lodging, I fly out on 3/10 at 9:25am, that's probably too early to spend the night of March 9 in Rueras? So I should be looking at a night at the Moevenpick place Buster mentioned?

One question that relates to lodging, I fly out on 3/10 at 9:25am, that's probably too early to spend the night of March 9 in Rueras? So I should be looking at a night at the Moevenpick place Buster mentioned?
    Moevenpick has since raised their rates a ton, more like $180/night, including free shuttle.
    I googled and I think it was the Radisson that had a rate more like $140/night with a free shuttle.

I grabbed a room at the Holiday Inn Express, cost $132 plus $9 for a shuttle. Fully cancelable if I change my mind.

Excellent, you'll be stoked having your business dialed in early.

You're in CO, correct?

Let's get some more Representation going here.

So far I know of committed mags from WY, MT, WA, UT, CO and TN.

And one from France and a couple in Switzerland/CH.

We need some East coasters and Mid westers.

I'll expect a few CA and OR and ID at some point. AZ and NM shout out...Seano?

Would love to have some southern mags too, Warthog and Fat kid from FL., Who else?

I’m going to need to do this some day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yep, Colorado. Working on another Colorado mag currently living in Spain.

Frick. I already have a ski trip planned this season and can’t make both work financially and logistically. So bummed as I would have been down for this as it’s been way to long since my last trip there. Have fun d00ds. First timers be prepared to have your mind blown and opened to what real resort skiing should be.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm going to try to make it work this year, at least for a couple days now that my kid's a little older and sleeping through the night. I'll be heading down from Amsterdam.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Following Buster's suggestion to use a 40L pack as a carry on: I don't currently own one, anyone have any suggestions for something decent/affordable?

I'm gonna be a total jong this trip. I mean, even more than usual.

I think you can actually go up to 45L in a travel backpack and still be within carry-on limits in the U.S. and Europe (not some other countries though). There's a good site called Pack Hacker with a lot of useful info and reviews, including which packs conform to which airlines/countries.

Thanks, I will check that out. I'm assuming the pack has to double as my skiing day pack, right?

Thanks, I will check that out. I'm assuming the pack has to double as my skiing day pack, right?
    Not necessarily as long as you pack correctly. I have made it work with my Patagonia duffel and my skiing pack as carryons while checking my ski bag.