Page 32 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    technically any off-piste skiing should be considered touring. my only concern/hangup is my general lack of snowpack and terrain familiarity. I will be prepared for short bursts of self-sustained movement through the mountains, but the majority will be lift-assisted.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Are there any mags that are planning on doing more touring which would mind having me along? I totally get how a trip to the Alps is not anyone's first pick for skiing with a new partner, but I try to be easy going, safe, and conservative. I've got an AVY2 and plenty of mags can vouch for me
    First, you must pull me out of the Hans Im Glugg exit (ask Carvehard about the skate). Thereafter, we may consider touring.

Then again, vendul is always up for some hellish slog up remote peaks.

But, no, really, after we've done the GIraffe variants, the Guspis, the Hans Im Glugg, the Val Gronda variants, the Val Strem variants, not to mention all the weird little paths through the Felsenthal, each of which require at most a 10 minute boot or skin and potential shoulder scorching pole and skate out, we can consider a genuine tour out to some lederhosen festooned hutte like the Vermigelhütte.

I'm not saying that there's going to be a ton of snow, but if there is, I'm a chickenshit about exposure and will be poncing along the edges of the pistes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CKHM9577.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	487331  

That was a good day! Closed up Venduls turns.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Are there any mags that are planning on doing more touring which would mind having me along? I totally get how a trip to the Alps is not anyone's first pick for skiing with a new partner, but I try to be easy going, safe, and conservative. I've got an AVY2 and plenty of mags can vouch for me

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    I think once you get there and see all the terrain available, that’s hardly skied, with just a short bootpack or traverse you won’t be so hasty to walk. Remember, everything you see off the lift/tram is in play, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    That was a good day! Closed up Venduls turns.
    I'll tilt a whisky in your honor, sir. You'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'll tilt a whisky in your honor, sir. You'll be missed.
    Thanks B. I miss you and all the other usuals over there. Give M and S and big hug for me!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    I'm planning 4-5 days on lifts and 1 or 2 touring (Piz Maler & ??).

I'm sure a few others will be up for something as well.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Dumb shoe question. Having never skied down to a village where you then can walk to a train, what kind of lightweight yet snow proof shoe are you guys lugging around in your packs? Or just hoofing it around in boots?

I just bought some really light--though probably not snow-proof--Skechers slip-ons at Famous Footwear. They'll double as lodge slippers. Very lightweight and should be easy to cram in a ski pack if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Dumb shoe question. Having never skied down to a village where you then can walk to a train, what kind of lightweight yet snow proof shoe are you guys lugging around in your packs? Or just hoofing it around in boots?
    I'll have a trail running shoe, but I hoofed it in boots for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I'll have a trail running shoe, but I hoofed it in boots for the most part.
    I have trail runners but they are basically a fabric type construction so the opposite of weatherproof

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Keens

From previous page:

Is that a slipper? Looks perfect for the airplane too

They feel like a slipper, but actually have pretty good traction on snow and ice and are reasonably weather proof. Wear them around town and on the bus to the hill here in Banff all the time, and quite often have them in the pack when in Europe. Highly recommend.

Here:

https://www.keenfootwear.com/collections/mens-slip-ons

Targhees, Howsers, Hoodcamp, I don't know which ones I have, but the elastic/neoprene around the ankle keeps snow out and they have grippy soles.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    I forgot my follow-up question. You've mentioned it was an easy, "flat" tour. The link shows 701m asscent. In my noob brain, 701m isn't exactly flat. Or is it relative to other tours?

I

I forgot my follow-up question. You've mentioned it was an easy, "flat" tour. The link shows 701m asscent. In my noob brain, 701m isn't exactly flat. Or is it relative to other tours?

I
    T bar drops you off at 2800m

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

I
    The 701m ascent is incorrect. Even if you summit the Oberalpstock peak at 3328, which is not required (unless you fall behind and don't speak Italian), the pass to get to the downhill part is at about 3100m and the top of the Disentis t-bar from which we leave is about 2800m .

Here's a better map:
    https://map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=schn...7935.24&zoom=6

Note the top of the Disentis t-bar is 2839m.

The flat climb to the via ferrata is about 100m. See the 2 people on the right side of this pic in the distance:

then it's a scramble across some scree to get to snow and alittle ski down:

then a traverse and then a little gentle climb up to 3164 at the col. Looking back to the scree and traverse from the where we put skins back on:

I'll dig up a pic of the last part, it's flat.

Or you can assume I have no idea what I'm talking about and I've conned you into a hellish slog!!!!

Last edited by Buster Highmen; 02-20-2024 at 01:18 PM.

Is anyone bringing radios? I have a bca radio...wondering if it makes sense to bring them? I know Yurp cell coverage in back county areas is much better than North America but radios may be a better option?
    Im hoping to do a few tours...
    with my new setup...Nordica Enforcer 104 Free Unlimited, Dynafit Radical rotation, Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, Pomoca Green....OhYeah. For tour planning if anyone is looking to pull together a posse please let me know.
    Cant wait conditions are looking to be very nice!!
    FYI I fly into Zurich 2/28 10:30a, Delta from JFK then heading to Hotel Wynegg in Klosters/Davos. Im renting a 4x4 vehicle and so far just me so if anyone needs a ride let me know. Staying in Yurp till 3/21

No radio here.

Look for the old fucker pictured above at the Wynegg.
    If we turned you onto the Wynegg, please let Uli and Hitch know.

Thx BH!

I assumed the 701m didn't include the Tbar's verts

I did 2.1 miles with 1650' in an 1:50...is that slow AF, average?

100m I may be able to do without supplemental O2, but I'll probably get some in Andermatt

Thx BH!

I assumed the 701m didn't include the Tbar's verts

I did 2.1 miles with 1650' in an 1:50...is that slow AF, average?

100m I may be able to do without supplemental O2, but I'll probably get some in Andermatt
    We won't allow worriers on the tour.

And no one will challenge my slow ass for the Tour Slackers Crown.

Understood?

Consider me jealous. Went a few years back and the trip still holds the crown for best ski trip I’ve been on. Buster is a gracious organizer. Vendul is an awesome host. The location is sublime. Don’t sweat the small stuff - all works out in the end.
    I’ll be back very soon and hopefully with many of you all.
    Cheers to a safe and exciting trip!

Quote Originally Posted by snowhunda View Post
    Is anyone bringing radios? I have a bca radio...wondering if it makes sense to bring them? I know Yurp cell coverage in back county areas is much better than North America but radios may be a better option?
    Im hoping to do a few tours...
    with my new setup...Nordica Enforcer 104 Free Unlimited, Dynafit Radical rotation, Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, Pomoca Green....OhYeah. For tour planning if anyone is looking to pull together a posse please let me know.
    Cant wait conditions are looking to be very nice!!
    FYI I fly into Zurich 2/28 10:30a, Delta from JFK then heading to Hotel Wynegg in Klosters/Davos. Im renting a 4x4 vehicle and so far just me so if anyone needs a ride let me know. Staying in Yurp till 3/21
    In Klosters with a car, you could do a morning in the Fluela to tour. I should be around to either join or point you in right direction.

Driving in Switz, you won’t generally have cops to stop you speeding, but there are speed cameras that are easy to miss, so be careful. On way to Klosters specifically, there’s one around Grusch to watch out for.