Cloudbreak this morning

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	589.2 KB 
ID:	468570I’m not a surfer, but my wife & I got to watch for about an hour this morning. Super-cool wave. Apparently this wasn’t very big.

We’re in Fiji to kitesurf, but the wind isn’t really cooperating. Tomorrow we’re gonna start learning to tow foil

Great shot. Thanks for posting.

Nice! I was there many years ago, and got to check out Cloudbreak, but we surfed the smaller "Hotels" and "Restaurant" breaks iirc... We got wrecked, and I got a nice coral gash on my foot to take to NZ and shove in a snowboard boot. We stayed at a little backpacker spot on the main island but very close to the break. I wonder if they are still there.

Nice. Are you staying on Tavi?

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Nice. Are you staying on Tavi?
    Namotu. First time here. Absolutely loving it.

It’s too bad the wind isn’t cooperating, because I was really hoping to work up to kiting at Lefts, but so it goes. Day one we kited for a couple of hours playing around on the inside of swimming pools. Day two I got out to pools proper and got onto a wave, but the wind died pretty much died just as I caught it. Kite fell out of the sky and I couldn’t relaunch, so I had to get rescued.

Hopefully we can make some progress learning to foil, then keep it up when we get back to Maui.

If kite no go can you surf? That photo of Cloudbreak was perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    If kite no go can you surf? That photo of Cloudbreak was perfect.
    We figure prone surfing is beyond us, but we just had tow-foil lesson #2. Trying to become a waterman at age 60!

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    We figure prone surfing is beyond us, but we just had tow-foil lesson #2. Trying to become a waterman at age 60!
    Yeah man! That will be great

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Yeah man! That will be great
    Carnage today! My wife fell on the rail of the foilboard and bruised a rib. Got her all situated then I went for another go. Board popped up and hit me in the mouth. Chipped a tooth.

Once we get it though, we’re on for kite foiling, wing foiling, and towing into waves on a foil. When the winter swell comes up in Maui we can kite into some decent surf, and I still get a kick out of boosting 15 feet on a twintip.

That's solid 4-5 foot. Probably pushing Doh in the big sets. One of my dream waves, but probably out of my League. Also financially
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Apparently this wasn’t very big.

Hella lip.

We figure prone surfing is beyond us
    Welp, I went out and paddled/got pushed into some waves this morning. Stood up on the first try! So maybe that’s in my future too.

But holy shit paddling a surfboard is no joke.

Just back from a week at Tavi. Such an epic family vacation. According to the founder of Tavi, Dave, my dad is the oldest guest they have had surf. He turned 80 this summer and did 2 sessions a day on most days. Waves were mostly shoulder to OH during much of the week. OH to DOH was on offer if you wanted it.

Surfed Cloudbreak for a couple of days. I didn't kill it, but it didn't kill me is how I would put my efforts. Namotu Lefts at HH to well OH was much more my pace. My girls caught a ton of waves with the help of the super friendly amazing Fijian boat guy and Tavi surf guides. They were beyond stoked. They were catching shoulder high Swimming Pools and riding for a long way.

Suit, your right about paddling, no joke.

The place is amazing! Even if it costs a dang fortune.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Just back from a week at Tavi. Such an epic family vacation. According to the founder of Tavi, Dave, my dad is the oldest guest they have had surf. He turned 80 this summer and did 2 sessions a day on most days. Waves were mostly shoulder to OH during much of the week. OH to DOH was on offer if you wanted it.

Surfed Cloudbreak for a couple of days. I didn't kill it, but it didn't kill me is how I would put my efforts. Namotu Lefts at HH to well OH was much more my pace. My girls caught a ton of waves with the help of the super friendly amazing Fijian boat guy and Tavi surf guides. They were beyond stoked. They were catching shoulder high Swimming Pools and riding for a long way.

Suit, your right about paddling, no joke.

The place is amazing! Even if it costs a dang fortune.
    Outstanding! Your dad is an inspiration.

So cool that you could surf Cloudbreak. One of the Namotu coaches got barreled wing foiling Cloudbreak, but the wing didn’t quite fit. Maybe I will kitesurf it some day. Lefts and Pools for sure.

I’ve noticed that a lot of the older surfers are on SUP boards. I originally thought that was because it was easier, but most of them SUP because their shoulders can’t handle prone paddling anymore. No wind in Maui this past week, so I’ve been trying to learn to SUP. Just staying upright is a challenge, so I haven’t even tried to paddle into any waves.

My wife & I just went e-foiling this morning. The tow foilers were having a lot of fun when we were at Namotu so I feel like I need to learn that, too.

So much new stuff to do! Getting old isn’t so bad.

It’s quite an achievement for your dad to be the oldest surfer there, especially at 80 and still managing two sessions a day – that’s truly inspiring! The waves at Cloudbreak and Namotu Lefts seem to have offered a great range of challenges, and it’s fantastic to hear that your girls had such a successful time in the water. Paddling out there is definitely no easy feat, but it seems like the experience was worth every bit of effort. And yes, while such destinations can be pricey, the memories and experiences are often priceless.