Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Make sure the bulb is dimmable, and update your dimmers.

Old LED bulbs were step dimmable, which always annoyed me.

They have come a long way, but you need to update the entire system. It is almost always the dimmer causing strobing effect.
    I've been down this road. I've swapped all dimmers in my house to LED compatible dimmers. I've replaced and rewired fixtures. Some "dimmable" LED bulbs still have issues.

Shirley someone's making custom LED lights???

https://youtu.be/KM2K7sV-K74" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="https://youtu.be/KM2...M2K7sV-K74</a>
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Snapped this a few months back figuring it had some reverence. Incandescent bulb in the discount cart with expired brown meat tuna and stinky vag coverup, febreze might cover up smelly shit other than vajaja

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230609_172424.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	994.1 KB 
ID:	466643
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

My sister has Lupus and can't spend much time under fluorescent lights. Hopefully LEDs aren't problematic. Sorry, no photos of her handy... but her 6'6" 300 pound husband digs her looks.

https://www.makegreatlight.com/about...lights-at-work
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

This house was completed in 2016. There's not an incandescent bulb in the place and we have dimmers everywhere that work perfect. LED tech is solid now and the light is excellent. Incandescent often looks kinda yellow to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Oddly enough, you can. I've got a handful of LEDs that are in glass envelopes.
    All mine are glass. They look like traditional bulbs except the base also has a heatsink. Touching one and not burning the fingers gives away its LED nature.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Listen, you were named Arbiter of Good Taste by Architectural Digest back in 2013. The times have passed you by old man.
    And this is what we have to deal with now.

Name:	562007218646322456.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	896.3 KB 
ID:	466654

Name:	5771812817854911526.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	466655

Name:	569233580478175403.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	466656

Wow. Incandescent bulbs suck on every level except producing heat.
    LED bulds are dabomb

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Why, back in my day...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    LED bulbs are great, technology has improved, get with the program ya dinosaurs.

Other good things include unleaded gas, flat screen tvs, releasable bindings, credit cards and full suspension mountain bikes if you wanna give any of those a try.

The dimmer or the lamp (bulb) can be the issue. Many good lamps state compatible dimmers.

LEDs do not dim as well as Edison lamps, but if you buy say a Philips Warm Dim lamp it will dim way better than an LED that states it's dimmable. The reason is dimable LEDs just get less bright but maintain the same Kelvin temperature. An Edison lamp decreases it's Kelvin temp as it dims to create a warm atmosphere. For an LED to try and mimic that it takes, in simple terms, more $$ to produce that effect. So a Warm Dim LED will drop the Kelvin as it dims, but you will pay for that. Imo it's worth it, but still not an Edison.

Yeah, forgot to mention Kelvin rating. That, for me, is the most important. I will not go over 2750. That is basically "warm". I see so many 3,000+, even 5,000 at the DIY stores. They have done a better job lately of having displays that show the difference, but most people seem to not pay proper attention to that. For reference, 5,000 K is basically office lighting. Drives me nuts when I walk into a house with lighting like that.
    As jackstraw mentions, warm bulbs dim much better, as the light is already at a temp that you kind of associate with "dim" to begin with.

jackstraw is going to be much more of an expert here, but I listen to a lot of the industry spiel on this and have picked up a bit over the years.
    Reality is, there are only a handful of companies making LED diodes. May even be only 1 or 2. I know that Cree supplies most of them. The only real difference is the housings and fixtures. I believe Phillips makes their own. I have preferred Phillips since I started converting to LED. They have been solid.

This may (or may not) surprise jackstraw, but I recommend Lutron Caseta dimmers. Their stuff just works. Also, their remote Pico's are awesome. You can get ones with multi scene programming. I have 1 in the bedroom and one outside. The scenes turn all lights on, or only certain sections of the house. They make some excellent stuff for high end resi. For reference, I have a main hallway that has 5 switches. So originally, it had 2 3 way switches and 3 4 ways. I replaced with Caseta- found the one that was hooked up to the main hot and installed the hardwired single pole dimmer there. Every other location got a Pico wired remote after I wire nutted the wires the correct way. So simple.

All the leds we get fry out within a year
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^^^
    Make sure you’re buying LEDs that are rated to be used in an enclosed space

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Fuck that. I've seen enough bad lighting and decoration decisions to last me 10 lifetimes.
    Everyone is worried about crime, corrupt politicians, war and global warming. HGTV and similar BS will be the cause of TEOTWAKI.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Teotwawki, still I agree ranchhouse chic should die.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Teotwawki, still I agree ranchhouse chic should die.
    Hahahaha. The whole shabby chic ranch thing cracks me up. They'll take perfectly painted cabinets and rough them up to make them look "rustic," which is pretty much the same thing as buying fashionable new jeans that are pre-ripped to hell. That one always baffled me.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    You paid for that?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

We have trouble with LEDs with some occupancy and motion sensors--they don't turn off completely. I usually take out the sensors after we get finaled. If the bulb is that efficient who cares if I forget to turn it off, right?

There’s easy solutions for all the complaints in this thread.

- Buy brand name dimmable bulbs and dimmers spec’ed for LEDs. They work.

- Buy 4000K bulbs for spaces where clear light and clean vision is desired; bathrooms, offices, workshops, etc…

- Buy 3000K bulbs for spaces where “ambiance” is desired.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    There’s easy solutions for all the complaints in this thread.

- Buy brand name dimmable bulbs and dimmers spec’ed for LEDs. They work.

- Buy 4000K bulbs for spaces where clear light and clean vision is desired; bathrooms, offices, workshops, etc…

- Buy 3000K bulbs for spaces where “ambiance” is desired.

Still waiting for weaponizing and freebase tips for LEDs....

You paid for that?

LOL that wheel line trash ceiling fixture I posted was probably $8,000

You paid for that?

Made it pretty cheaply. Not quite as cheap as your mom, but still.

I also have a stock of incandescents. I've been been burned by 'LED dimming is better now' many times over many years.

The big issue for me is when I dim my bulbs I want the color temperature to get warmer.

My wife likes lights. Lots of lights. In our living room dining room kitchen there are 18 lights--by which I mean 21 fixtures or combinations of fixtures on a single switch. 45 bulbs in all. If I want to dim the light I just turn off a fixture or two or 10.