Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Minimalism

Minimalism

This vid popped up in my feed. A bit ironic as we're in the middle of a purge and wondering how we acquired all this stuff. Aside from tools and current frequently used toys (skis, bikes, etc.) it's kind of freaky how much stuff we have in a relatively small house. I can only imagine what's in the McMansions.

This doc was ok, stating the obvious I guess, but the most interesting part was Jimmy Carter's speech clip at the 1:10 mark.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=J8DGjUv-Vjc&feature=share7

Jimmy tried to warn us.

I try to avoid buying anything I don't absolutely need and still end up with a ton of stuff I seldom use.

^lol

I don't think anyone reading this is really a minimalist

I say i am but I have a doz pair of skis and 5 bikes

we had this guy Chris a trueminimalist who would show up late spring ever year to hang out at folk fest, buddy was a code monkey who had retired at 42 cuz he didnt spend money, he was a nice guy well spoken, no obvious character flaws, good to work with.

He had a spare change of clothse, one plate one cup one spoon kind of thing, he would buy an old bike to get around, hang out till summer was over get rid of everything but the clothes and head somewhere tropical, havent seen him in awhile

there is nothing like a divorce to purge stuff IME
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't think anyone reading this is really a minimalist

I say i am but I have a doz pair of skis and 5 bikes

there is nothing like a divorce to purge stuff IME
    Yup

Uhuh. Need more bikes

I've often thought that if... I'd only have what fits in or on my car and would still be looking to get rid of more.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Yup

Uhuh. Need more bikes

I've often thought that if... I'd only have what fits in or on my car and would still be looking to get rid of more.
    I just got rid of 4 bikes and then bought another one...but I needed this new one . Got rid of several pair of skis and 5 or so snowboards, then bought a new pair of Bents. Because I needed those! One surfboard and one SUP are on their way out. Gaining. Two steps forward, one back.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I try to avoid buying anything I don't absolutely need and still end up with a ton of stuff I seldom use.
    Lol. I feel your pain.

Minimalism is a state of mind

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Turns out I have been a minimalist most of my life. That documentary was a bit weird but interesting.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I used to be a minimalist but I gave it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Turns out I have been a minimalist most of my life. That documentary was a bit weird but interesting.
    Going on a few couple week long backpacking trips in my early 20s kinda changed how i look at "things". The best part about those trips was about 4 days in when the initial aches and pains subsided, you had your routine dialed, and you were completely at peace knowing that everything you needed to be comfortable fit on your back. I try to carry that mindset with me everyday knowing that i really dont need much to be totally comfortable... its the trying to live up to expectations (from family, peers, society etc) that leads to gathering more things so you can appear prepared for every type of event that comes your way when really its just gathering more shit that you will use once per year and just for show. Its kinda funny that my wife does environmental work for a living and yet i am the one in our household constantly reminding her and pushing that "reduce" is the most important part of "reduce, reuse, recycle".

I got minimalism dialed. One van that is also a house, one 5x10 storage unit that 30% full. That's basically it.

Building a 16x20 dry cabin in a few years in the middle of nowhere to spend the rest of my days.

Life is simple, unencumbered, and quiet.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

But no, really my in laws are minimalists in a sense that they're not consumers and the family motto is "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". So the FIL still wears WW2 army wool in the winter and MIL wears jeans so old and ripped that one can't tell the make. They're 95 and 93 respectively.

But they live on a fam that's been in the family for over 120 years.

So despite being non consumers, there's so much shit stashed away, broken lots of it with a faintly remembered intent to fix. Debris from a grand uncle who was a mule skinner up in Naches Pass, including old mining tools, horseshoes, saws, scythes and a complete set of deerskin jacket and chaps, not to mention unrecognizable boots, shoes and moccasins.

Minimalism gets to be maximalism/hoarding if let run on for a while.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

The struggle is real. Cool topic.

Just started the documentary - so far, I agree with the premise: over consumption is a compensation mechanism. It is pervasive and exploited by advertising, consumerism and policy.

The last few years I've been going though purposed downsizing. It's been great but still have a journey ahead. Somewhat inspired by Swedish Death Cleaning.... without getting too far ahead of myself - ha.

My personal stumbling blocks:

Desire not to be wasteful. "Take what you want, but eat what you take" ethos. Sell, use, re-use, up-cycle, give away, etc objects - only binning them as a last resort. A bunch of hard to avoid single use stuff falls in this category - eg: reusing plastic bags and packaging.

Gear refinement. I'm particular and, ultimately, I find that gear works for me - or it doesn't. Always chipping away to make better. This means I have to be deliberate about turning over used gear or it will pile. That's work and a burden.

I don't have sophisticated tastes. I don't chase fashion. Don't like to be pampered. I have zero interest in what other have - so not much fomo.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    But no, really my in laws are minimalists in a sense that they're not consumers and the family motto is "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without". So the FIL still wears WW2 army wool in the winter and MIL wears jeans so old and ripped that one can't tell the make. They're 95 and 93 respectively.

But they live on a fam that's been in the family for over 120 years.

So despite being non consumers, there's so much shit stashed away, broken lots of it with a faintly remembered intent to fix. Debris from a grand uncle who was a mule skinner up in Naches Pass, including old mining tools, horseshoes, saws, scythes and a complete set of deerskin jacket and chaps, not to mention unrecognizable boots, shoes and moccasins.

Minimalism gets to be maximalism/hoarding if let run on for a while.
    So much of the storing of crap is a response to the thought that you might need it someday, and it would be wasteful to throw it out and then have to buy something new. This is compounded if you don't have much cash or have a history of remembering a time when you didn't have much cash.

byates aside, it's a helluva lot easier for a rich person to be a minimalist, because if it turns out you actually need all the leftover crap you tossed you have the money to go buy more. It's why depression era people are horders.

^ Lot of truth in hoarding being a poor person's disease.

Even a minimalist-ish person accumulates , so after 10 yrs in my old house I had things and stuff, so when I sold my house if I moved the stuff I would need to spend 1000$ to rent a moving Van and then I wasn't buying a house on the other end so i had no idea what I was doing with stuff I would have to move again or SFT

So i did 2 loads in the GF's astro van and I figured with the $$$$ I saved by not moving stuff I could buy another widget on the other end so whatever didnt fit in the astro went to the transfer station, good will or into the green bins, it was garbage day and all the half full bins were out at the curb so I just wheeled about 5 of the neighbors bins up to the front door and thru shit away

I got the place empty with 1 hr to spare and turned over the keys, sometimes I would wonder where that thing was i used to have and buy another but I figure I am still $$$ ahead by not renting the moving truck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I used to be able to fit my life in a pickup truck, but then I got married. Now I'd need several tractor trailers.

I saw (singer/songwriter) Todd Snider a while back and he said he lives so that he can pack up and be out the door for a week or forever in 15 minutes.

For a long time I had a bag packed with a couple changes of clothes, some socks and underwear, my birth certificate, passport and a checkbook. Figured I could just grab it and go, but she never pushed me quite far enough that I had to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I saw (singer/songwriter) Todd Snider a while back and he said he lives so that he can pack up and be out the door for a week or forever in 15 minutes.

For a long time I had a bag packed with a couple changes of clothes, some socks and underwear, my birth certificate, passport and a checkbook. Figured I could just grab it and go, but she never pushed me quite far enough that I had to use it.
    Ouch. Cold as ice, but willing to sacrifice.