Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeCrudSkier View Post
    Just ask your hotel when you arrive for recommendations for food and onsens; many hotels have a small discount at a local onsen if they don't have one on the premise. Also ask if it's busy and you'll need a reservation for restaurants; they can streamline that process for you. If you're feeling lazy don't knock the restaurant at the onsen, it's often quite good.
    Thanks, good info. I would still like to figure out if there is a kick-ass amazing onsen with a view or something else unique compared to most local onsens.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Stay in ryokan. No need to look for onsen or meals. You will eat better than the local noodle place. Only reason to go to Asahidake is to ski the peak. Lift served terrain is underwhelming.
    Good to know about Asahidake, we were thinking of hitting it on a rare sunny day, if one happens. Still might do it if there is no good pow to ski at Furano.

As for food, the best noodles in Japan are not at a Ryokan - is a safe somewhat snobby broad blanket statement. Certainly not ramen - which IMO is a huge undertaking at the best places in Japan. The worst meals I've had in Japan were at a Ryokan, but it was still acceptable IMO. I'll still eat and stay at one, and I'm sure some Roykans have top shelf options, but not at my price point and it's a gamble guessing what is what. A few nights out of 10 nights I'd like to make an effort and get some mind blowing food. Seems like miso is the local ramen must get, soup curry seems like a local tradition, and if King Crabs are in season that sounds like a special meal to get, along with other types of local seafood. I need to google a bit more. Also cool to mingle with locals downtown somewhere compared to a ryokan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BestMichelinHokkaido-Katsutani-1600x1152.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	474411

A friend is visiting from the US and intent on skiing Hokkaido, after 5 seasons here it's time to finally push northward and explore that area during the winter. Looking at late February for about 8-9 ski days to hopefully still be in the midst of winter and avoid the crowds of January and Chinese New Year.

Thinking of renting a car and doing about 4 days based in Furano to hit Furano if it's dumping, heading over to Asahidake if it's not.

Then moving west to do 4-5 days in Niseko; flexing to Rusutsu if the crowds are too much.

Anything I'm missing here that we should be incorporating? For context my ideal Japan ski day is a blizzard in the birch forests in Hakuba; hoping to find something similar in Furano, Rusutsu, or Niseko. If there are some smaller resorts that fit the bill better then I'm interested in recommendations.
    Your plan looks good. A few things to consider: You may already know this, but the snowpack is much different in Hokkaido compared to Honshu- Honshu is a maritime snowpack, and Hoky Pow is like the best intermountain snowpack pow you will ever ski. January is often deep cold ( low as -20F) in Hokkaido, but then can start raining in early March.

Driving: I take it you are used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road?? Many accidents happen with gaijin (from US, etc) as our auto reaction is to move to the right.. I have chosen to just use the extensive public transpo and/or guide services that do the shuttles for my 7 JaPow trips so far.

If you are in Furano, and have a car put Kamui in your list. Around Niseko, it is easy to get to Rusutsu by car (and I was told last year they will re-implement the busses as well - they did not have time to get them all set up last year due to the late notice that JaPow was to open to gaijin again...).

Niseko - allow for wind event days that can shut the entire top of the mountain down and even if you take the free shuttle bus to another base of Niseko United, the top can be total whiteout for several days.

Rusutsu - has the best inbounds tree skiing, and typically not crowded, but all of that is changing for all of JaPow as these places have been in every ski movie and pow mag....

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Thanks, good info. I would still like to figure out if there is a kick-ass amazing onsen with a view or something else unique compared to most local onsens.
    Ryounkaku

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Ryounkaku

Great food in this one too

re: onsens. cannot recommend rusutsu resort hotel onsen enough if youre in the area and onsens are your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks, both onsens look great! I am looking forward to spending a relaxing time soaking while feeling the bounties of nature after enjoying sports.

Finally figuring out a solid plan thanks to this thread, google, and also last years Japan thread - skipping Niseko now.

Quote Originally Posted by Recreationpro View Post
    Your plan looks good. A few things to consider: You may already know this, but the snowpack is much different in Hokkaido compared to Honshu- Honshu is a maritime snowpack, and Hoky Pow is like the best intermountain snowpack pow you will ever ski. January is often deep cold ( low as -20F) in Hokkaido, but then can start raining in early March.

Driving: I take it you are used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road?? Many accidents happen with gaijin (from US, etc) as our auto reaction is to move to the right.. I have chosen to just use the extensive public transpo and/or guide services that do the shuttles for my 7 JaPow trips so far.

If you are in Furano, and have a car put Kamui in your list. Around Niseko, it is easy to get to Rusutsu by car (and I was told last year they will re-implement the busses as well - they did not have time to get them all set up last year due to the late notice that JaPow was to open to gaijin again...).

Niseko - allow for wind event days that can shut the entire top of the mountain down and even if you take the free shuttle bus to another base of Niseko United, the top can be total whiteout for several days.

Rusutsu - has the best inbounds tree skiing, and typically not crowded, but all of that is changing for all of JaPow as these places have been in every ski movie and pow mag....
    Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into Kamui. No issues driving on the left side of the road, it was a challenge for the first week or so but is natural now. I once drove across an entire air base in Okinawa on the right side of the road on an early morning surf check; the shock of encountering headlights in my lane was the last time I found myself making that mistake.

I'm assuming that we'll spend more time in Rusutsu than Niseko; it seems more my style. Still, I'm hoping that being there at the end of February means that the crowd factor won't be an issue and we can just gamble on the weather cooperating.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Any Mags in Hokkaido Jan 17 - Feb 6 and interested in an experienced partner (my 8th trip....) for exploring, send me a PM. My JaPow itinerary for the HokyPow goods: Jan 17-25: Base Niseko. Maybe do Yotei if a Mag has wheels. Jan27-30: Tomamu Feb 1-6: Tokachi . Travelling by bus/train, but with my bondage and an AT rig. Met up with a Mag last year and was great to have a partner for the goods we went into... Again, best to send a PM unless you have a Q for all Mags.

I would meet up but we will be in different places when our trips overlap. Good to see someone has been there 8 times is also going to Tomamu like us! Are you just doing BC out of the skiers lodge there in town or is the ski resort sidecountry worthy too?

Also many thanks to Bolton Outlaw - going through your old JPN threads has been a huge help planning my first ski trip over there.

I would meet up but we will be in different places when our trips overlap. Good to see someone has been there 8 times is also going to Tomamu like us! Are you just doing BC out of the skiers lodge there in town or is the ski resort sidecountry worthy too?

Also many thanks to Bolton Outlaw - going through your old JPN threads has been a huge help planning my first ski trip over there.
    I am staying at Gracey and using lifts to get the sidecountry pow up higher.

Any Mags in Hokkaido Jan 17 - Feb 6 and interested in an experienced partner (my 8th trip....) for exploring, send me a PM. My JaPow itinerary for the HokyPow goods: Jan 17-25: Base Niseko. Maybe do Yotei if a Mag has wheels. Jan27-30: Tomamu Feb 1-6: Tokachi . Travelling by bus/train, but with my bondage and an AT rig. Met up with a Mag last year and was great to have a partner for the goods we went into... Again, best to send a PM unless you have a Q for all Mags.
    Yes. Planning on getting to Hokkaido on 17th from work trip to Tokyo and have loose plan to rent vehicle and chase the snow with touring rig. Probably accom in valleys as last minute. But open to other options. Hoping to have company but not confirmed. Was in Tanigawadake last year and Hakuba / Myoko before covid but not been to Hokkaido since 2014 Niseko/Furano/Asahidake/Kurodake 10 day trip

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Yes. Planning on getting to Hokkaido on 17th from work trip to Tokyo and have loose plan to rent vehicle and chase the snow with touring rig. Probably accom in valleys as last minute. But open to other options. Hoping to have company but not confirmed. Was in Tanigawadake last year and Hakuba / Myoko before covid but not been to Hokkaido since 2014 Niseko/Furano/Asahidake/Kurodake 10 day trip
    Great Bobinch - Lets stay in touch and come January check in on your final itinerary. Next year I plan on going back to Honshu for some more exploring ( Shiga Kogen and wherever.....) so beta on your Honshu explorations would be appreciated.

Great Bobinch - Lets stay in touch and come January check in on your final itinerary. Next year I plan on going back to Honshu for some more exploring ( Shiga Kogen and wherever.....) so beta on your Honshu explorations would be appreciated.
    Just my opinion but for the Nagano / Niigata region I'd rank it as Hakuba, Madarao/Tangram, Myoko, Nozawa Onsen, Shiga Kogen for the major areas there, with a huge drop between Nozawa and Shiga. Shiga is fun for some spring skiing but I've never found the terrain or areas that interesting. It's huge but the layout doesn't connect most of the areas and it's definitely a region that hasn't progressed much in terms of opening up terrain. Due to the sheer number of ski areas there are undoubtedly some hidden stashes but the other areas I've listed have much more lenient policies towards both inbound and side/back country access. On the other hand, if you want to feel like you've time traveled back to skiing Japan before it became known to outsiders then Shiga is a good choice. Part of that experience is accepting that most of the good stuff is roped off and you're likely to find some unforgiving patrollers happy to pull your ticket if you decide to duck into the trees.

Just my opinion but for the Nagano / Niigata region I'd rank it as Hakuba, Madarao/Tangram, Myoko, Nozawa Onsen, Shiga Kogen for the major areas there, with a huge drop between Nozawa and Shiga. Shiga is fun for some spring skiing but I've never found the terrain or areas that interesting. It's huge but the layout doesn't connect most of the areas and it's definitely a region that hasn't progressed much in terms of opening up terrain. Due to the sheer number of ski areas there are undoubtedly some hidden stashes but the other areas I've listed have much more lenient policies towards both inbound and side/back country access. On the other hand, if you want to feel like you've time traveled back to skiing Japan before it became known to outsiders then Shiga is a good choice. Part of that experience is accepting that most of the good stuff is roped off and you're likely to find some unforgiving patrollers happy to pull your ticket if you decide to duck into the trees.
    Not in that area but Tanigawadake has some cracking terrain and is also circa 3hrs from Tokyo by train. I put some pics / vid in last years thread half way down this page

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...147&highlight=

Good beta for all to read. I have been to Hakuba, Madarao/Tangram, Myoko and Nozawa Onsen, so next trip to explore Shiga and other places on Honshu. And also thx to Bobinch for the Tanigawadake pics/vid.

Too many Gaijin ?????

Lift prices going way up...... From snowjapan.com :

Today, let's take a look at ski lift ticket prices, which are more expensive across the board this year. And in some cases, eye-wateringly so!
    Let's check them out. Below are the charges for a 1-day ski lift ticket, bought from the ticket office, on the day. Most expensive first:

Rusutsu: 11,500 yen (over 30% increase; last year 8,800 yen)
    Niseko United: 9,500 yen (about 12% increase; last year 8,500 yen)
    Niseko Moiwa: 8,800 yen (60% increase; last year 5,500 yen)
    Niseko Tokyu Hirafu: 7,800 yen (about 18% increase; 6,600 yen last year)
    Kiroro: 7,400 yen (about 14% increase; last year 6,500 yen)

Yikes! Ski lift tickets are increasing across Japan this year, but some of these really stand out.

(It's worth noting that cheaper tickets are usually available online, so if you are keen to save a few yens, that is probably a good idea).

It perhaps just goes to show how much these big Hokkaido resorts are aiming for the 'inbound' market. I know some visitors may feel that Japanese ski areas have traditionally been relatively cheap compared with other countries. Still, some locals have a somewhat different perspective on the rapidly rising costs of skiing in their country. One example: I have a Japanese friend in Tokyo who has decided to concentrate on Nagano and Niigata this season and forfeit his annual trip to Niseko. (Due to costs).

Perhaps they will invest some of that money into infrastructure? It’s certainly the weak link in my opinion

glad i went last year then.

IMO the best value ticket this winter in the region is the 25 hour + 5 hour top up ticket at Rusutsu. It is available until 8 December (7 December in NA) and the price is 30,000 JPY.

EDIT: This winter the Niseko United All Mountain Season Pass is 140,000.

You guys can’t have looked at US lift pass prices recently 😳😳😳

No doubt, while those are some massive increases based on last year's prices they are still quite cheap by N American standards. They'll certainly sting to residents but tourists won't care.

The most expensive on that list above, which is crazy high for Japan, is about $76 right now. The lowest there is still under $50.

First snow at village altitude at Niseko (11/11 JST)

Woke up to this and it ran all day. Glad I mounted snow tires yesterday...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231112_170402.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	475898

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Well played

Going to be messy over the next week or two

Freezing level up and down the register if the forecast is correct

Loads of snow, followed by loads of rain

And repeat

Won't make much difference to the season start time (early December), but it may mean that the sasa grass (bamboo) won't get buried and the off-piste terrain may take longer to fill in

...Also many thanks to Bolton Outlaw - going through your old JPN threads has been a huge help planning my first ski trip over there.
    Doitashimashite