Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    It is probably worth adding that the second pressing of the 192 and 180 FR110s are already sold out, and there are only 2 pair of 186 FR110 from the third pressing still unclaimed... so better get on ordering if you are reading this and interested, lol

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I am mounted at -7. This seems to fit well with my desire for a more directional feel to my skis. Compared to my old Devs (which my buddy was skiing on today) the mount on these is quite a bit back from those.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Ok, I'm in. Just grabbed a pair of the 3rd press 186's.

Sickle is my all time favorite ski. I loved the 184 Dev but they never gave me the versatility that I got from the Sickle. I now feel that I have a quiver of niche skis that try to fill the Sickle void. I'm hoping that the FR110 get me back to that point where I say, "Fuck the conditions, this ski rips!"

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    @scumpup - just to agree and add a couple things to Arild's comments.

(1) based on quickly sketching the BO118 based on its dim's, the center of the sidecut is about one cm forward of the FR110's. So if you skied the BO118 at, let's say -4cm, then a similar location on the FR110 is -5cm.

(2) The FR110 has a more round flex pattern compared to the BO118, which is quite soft at the ends of the skis and relatively stiff under foot.

(3) The FR110 has more taper tip and tail, where the BO118 has more stubby ends.

(4) the construction of both skis are very smooth and do an awesome job muting trail chatter compared to almost any other skis this progressively shaped.

I think you will find the soft tips and tails and sidecut runnning further up the ski (ie wider shovel/tail) on the BO118 to be a bit more surfy in untracked snow as compared to the FR110. But in tracked, variable, dust-on-crust, wind/sun effect, and especially manky snow, I think you will find the FR110 to be more predictable and smooth. I also think you will find the FR110's round flex and fully rockered setup to be much more maneuverable in the woods and in tighter lines as compared to the stiff underfoot and cambered BO118. Lastly, I think you will find the FR110 to have a higher top end in most normal inbounds conditions.

Hope this helps!
    Wow even more inbounds power? Definitely on my list then. The Blackops already are super smooth and fun inbounds so the FR110 might just be my ideal endgame snow tool period.

Thanks for all the detailed posts Marshal and Ariid

One question though, If the center of the sidecut is +1 relative to the fr110 why would the recommended mount point for the bo118 be around -2.4 cm from center and have a +3 progressive line while you recommend at -6? I know people had a bunch of different mount points they liked on the Sickle, why would an engineer say that it could be mounted way forward of the side cut center?

I like my skis to be mounted forwards simply because I like having the long heavy ski but I still need it to be easy to throw sideways and Im not physically strong, so being able to calculate this ideal point for my body important to me. I'll probably throw demo bindings on them to test when I get around to them.

How does the back country version compare? I know it's much lighter so it's less stable on the downhill but still easy to maneuver with?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by scumpup View Post
    Wow even more inbounds power? Definitely on my list then. The Blackops already are super smooth and fun inbounds so the FR110 might just be my ideal endgame snow tool period.

Thanks for all the detailed posts Marshal and Ariid

One question though, If the center of the sidecut is +1 relative to the fr110 why would the recommended mount point for the bo118 be around -2.4 cm from center and have a +3 progressive line while you recommend at -6? I know people had a bunch of different mount points they liked on the Sickle, why would an engineer say that it could be mounted way forward of the side cut center?

I like my skis to be mounted forwards simply because I like having the long heavy ski but I still need it to be easy to throw sideways and Im not physically strong, so being able to calculate this ideal point for my body important to me. I'll probably throw demo bindings on them to test when I get around to them.

How does the back country version compare? I know it's much lighter so it's less stable on the downhill but still easy to maneuver with?

Thanks again!
    Well, great question and I’d say mount preference comes down to personal preference and physiology. That said, I highly doubt an engineer recommended the mount of the BO118, and even blister’s review of that ski advocated for mounting it a good bit back from the line.

With respect to pivoting a ski, I think you will find reverse cambers WAY quicker and more maneuverable / able to pivot than a cambered ski.

If you do pull the trigger, happy to talk through in more detail boots, bindings, location/terrain, and previous skis to land on your ideal mount.

On the Carbon skis, they are quite smooth for what they are, but less mass is less mass, so there is of course that! But they are also optimized a little more for a slightly rearward as for skinning, there is just way too much tail to effectively navigate a switchback if you go more forward. The big thing you will notice here is how insanely responsive they are.

Yeah man, first time in this thread. I'll leave the ski nerding to the ski nerds, but I wanted to just throw out some huge respect for the entire project and business. Its is no doubt, such a giant undertaking. I try hard to support small business with my recreational dollars and when I'm in the market, these will be at the top of the list!

Brought these out for the first time today. Unfortunately, messed up my knee on the first run, but a couple of quick thoughts:

1. Marshal has downplayed these sticks in deep snow. Do not be deceived. These things performed waaaay better than I expected in untouched pow (see Snow for the Euros for conditions). Planed easily, no tip dive (I had a big problem with tip dive with the BC Anima). Awesome to slash, easy face shots. But also capable of pow carves and pointing them downhill.

2. Super playful but still planted enough. Got tossed around a little bit in (deep) tracked pow, but still way better than my skiing partners on lighter skis.

3. The exit run down is on piste and by then my knee was not taking much weight. But I still carved a few turns on some soft freshly groomed slopes. These do bite into the snow when you tip them over. Surprisingly quick. Loads of fun.

I have zero regrets. I think I may actually make these my daily driver. Fingers crossed the knee is just an MCL sprain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Dang man! Sorry about the knee. But glad the skis were treating you well this weekend otherwise.

Interesting point in untracked. I found the FR110 to feel as surfy and unsinkable as the most popular 116-118 skis, but didn’t want to say that without other folks sharing a similar opinion, to avoid coming across like I was taking crazy pills, haha.

cant wait to get on mine this week. Hope you are back on snow very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Brought these out for the first time today. Unfortunately, messed up my knee on the first run, but a couple of quick thoughts:

1. Marshal has downplayed these sticks in deep snow. Do not be deceived. These things performed waaaay better than I expected in untouched pow (see Snow for the Euros for conditions). Planed easily, no tip dive (I had a big problem with tip dive with the BC Anima). Awesome to slash, easy face shots. But also capable of pow carves and pointing them downhill.

2. Super playful but still planted enough. Got tossed around a little bit in (deep) tracked pow, but still way better than my skiing partners on lighter skis.

3. The exit run down is on piste and by then my knee was not taking much weight. But I still carved a few turns on some soft freshly groomed slopes. These do bite into the snow when you tip them over. Surprisingly quick. Loads of fun.

I have zero regrets. I think I may actually make these my daily driver. Fingers crossed the knee is just an MCL sprain.

Nice!

For reference; ski length, size, mount point?

My latest dream minimalist 2 ski quiver is the fr110 daily and the HL hellbent for deeper.

Dibs on the first ppl to sell theirs after a couple mounts and runs.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Nice!

For reference; ski length, size, mount point?
    I’m 6’1, 180lbs skiing the 186 at recommended.

Dang man! Sorry about the knee. But glad the skis were treating you well this weekend otherwise.

Interesting point in untracked. I found the FR110 to feel as surfy and unsinkable as the most popular 116-118 skis, but didn’t want to say that without other folks sharing a similar opinion, to avoid coming across like I was taking crazy pills, haha.

cant wait to get on mine this week. Hope you are back on snow very soon!
    From my viewpoint, no crazy pills! I had skied my Noctas the day before. They float better, but not by a whole lot. And for me at least, leaps and bounds better than the Anima.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    My latest dream minimalist 2 ski quiver is the fr110 daily and the HL hellbent for deeper.

Dibs on the first ppl to sell theirs after a couple mounts and runs.
    Based on my experience today, this would not be crazy for a resort quiver (unless you’re skiing ice all the time). And if you’re a bit tight on cash, the 110 would do 99% of the time.

Would love to hear more feedback on mount point as more folks get time on them. Still waffling on where to mount mine.
    Especially would love to hear from directional skiers that typically don't like more centered mounts, and what other skis you have liked.
    I'm one of those types, and usually find I've been happiest on skis that are mounted in the -8 to -10 range. I'm thinking of going somewhere in the -7 to -8 range on these. -7.5cm would line up with Marshal's chart for "traditional mount +0.5cm for tiny feet."

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Would love to hear more feedback on mount point as more folks get time on them. Still waffling on where to mount mine.
    Especially would love to hear from directional skiers that typically don't like more centered mounts, and what other skis you have liked.
    I'm one of those types, and usually find I've been happiest on skis that are mounted in the -8 to -10 range. I'm thinking of going somewhere in the -7 to -8 range on these. -7.5cm would line up with Marshal's chart for "traditional mount +0.5cm for tiny feet."
    i really like -7.5 for you

I've skied my probably 7 days so far....all on man-made groomers with a couple of small bump lines on the side. So not what I bought them for at all. I mounted at minus 6 which has been awesome. It feels like the perfect center spot on the sidecut. This is also my first pair of reverse camber skis.

I would say these things rip the groomers. I have been having a ton of fun carving on them. This didn't seem to be a selling point so I was surprised they were so awesome. Big radius turns are a hoot and so is shortening up the radius and forcing them into some small turns. They have some decent energy.

On the moguls it has been a bit of a learning experience for me. I am a traditional bump skier, kinda banging the troughs. That sucks on these things - it hurts. Ha. But I found two ways to ski the bumps on them that are super fun. One is to carve the side of the bumps like the face of a wave. That feels super cool since they are so easy to pivot. The other is to look for the smooth spots and just slide sideways until you hit a terrain feature and use then to change direction into your next slarve. I'd be interest in what others use for techniques for the moguls on these.

Looking forward to getting these into some soft snow and the tight lines into fast run outs that I envisioned them for. I'm pretty sure I will use them as my daily driver this year. They are super well made, great damping, lots of comments about how good looking they are, and the tune Marshall sent out is impeccable.

10/10.

Hey Marshal,

What's the estimated ship date for the 180cm FR110's...no rush at all as I have a shit ton of other new skis! And Whistler has shit snow right now but I'm heading to Nelson soon. But I'm excited for these!

Thanks,

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Hey Marshal,

What's the estimated ship date for the 180cm FR110's...no rush at all as I have a shit ton of other new skis! And Whistler has shit snow right now but I'm heading to Nelson soon. But I'm excited for these!

Thanks,

Keith
    Hey man! I expect the november cohort of skis (including the 180 FR110) to arrive this week! Got 3 of the packages (of other skis) yesterday.

Quick update on 180 and 192 FR110.

(1) the both flex PERFECT - super round but supportive and lively
    (2) the 180cm came in right at target 2250g, which feels right on for that ski
    (3) for the dick swingers, the 192 came in heaaavy. ~2600g. Trophy truck.

Lots of shipping to get done this week. If you recieved a shipping lable yesterday, your skis will ship today or tomorrow. If you got one today, your skis will ship before the weekend.

I am waiting for a couple boxes of 179 and 18 HB122 to clear customs, and once they do, I will send out another round of ship labels for folks in the November cohort who don't yet have a notification.

Thx Marshall!

Got my ship notice today. Leaning to +0.5cm (-5.5cm) ....got a short bsl and I like forwardish mounts. My 184 Hojis are -6.7...these FR110's are really like a 182 so maybe I do go -6cm. Will decide when I see them. Mounting with bright red STH 16s.

Pretty pumped!
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-05-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Thx Marshall!

Got my ship notice today. Leaning to +0.5cm (-5.5cm) ....got a short bsl and I like forwardish mounts. My 184 Hojis are -6.7...these FR110's are really like a 182 so maybe I do go -6cm. Will decide when I see them. Mounting with bright red STH 16s.

Pretty pumped!
    Perfect, will be interested to hear where you land once you get them and play with em, but from what I know of your ski preference/mounts and such, -5.5 sounds like a great spot to me.

@scumpup -

I think you will find the soft tips and tails and sidecut runnning further up the ski (ie wider shovel/tail) on the BO118 to be a bit more surfy in untracked snow as compared to the FR110. But in tracked, variable, dust-on-crust, wind/sun effect, and especially manky snow, I think you will find the FR110 to be more predictable and smooth. I also think you will find the FR110's round flex and fully rockered setup to be much more maneuverable in the woods and in tighter lines as compared to the stiff underfoot and cambered BO118. Lastly, I think you will find the FR110 to have a higher top end in most normal inbounds conditions.

Hope this helps!
    As a philistine to the ways of ski design, can you expand a bit more on the powder performance vs the BO118? I get the wider shovel and tail providing a bit better float, however, my biggest complaint with the BO118 is that the amount of camber and relatively sharp transition between camber and rocker can make it a bit hooky in anything but perfect blower. As a Mammoth skier, I don't ski a lot blower so I've been looking at a potential upgrade with the FR110.

I feel like for what I ski, rocker + taper are just going to make the ski surfier despite the tips being stiffer. Am I completely fucked up here?

Finally got them on snow. These things are sick.

Well? Go on now.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Finally got them on snow. These things are sick.

Got mine out today (same set up -Fprza 3 Pivot 15).

Performed as expected in cut up pow. Predictable, relatively quick, and surfy for 110.

Surprised on groomers. Got up some good speed. Implacable edge hold. Nice tune. Fast running bases.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1702166115.224159.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	478857