Check Out Our Shop
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
    I love the ability to clean carve or slarve into a power drift, none of my other skis feel as super g as these, going to finally sell of some other all mtn/chargers when I get around to it. Big 35 radius plus camber in a longer length does mean more work, and they do make a 27R cambered ski you might also know well, ski afterwards or prior to these feel notably tighter. SD105s have a similar 35 radius, I believe the 187 length I ski them in is easier to work.
    Last edited by bry; 05-12-2024 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    I love the ability to clean carve or slarve into a power drift, none of my other skis feel as super g as these, going to finally sell of some other all mtn/chargers when I get around to it. Big 35 radius plus camber in a longer length does mean more work, and they do make a 27R cambered ski you might also know well, ski afterwards or prior to these feel notably tighter. SD105s have a similar 35 radius, I believe the 187 length I ski them in is easier to work.
    The SD105s, which I also know very well and love, has much more taper, especially in the tails, than the FL105s, so more slarve friendly from the get go. Both great skis.

I did plug the widths (125/105/112) for the SD105 into the effective edge of the FL105, got something like a 50m radius. Would be a fun ski.

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

I think the R105 could replace my full rocker M4 Mantras for an all mountain shredder that also handles moguls well.

I'm trying to get a feel for how much more ski the 193 R105s will be compared to my 191 M4 Mantras. Sometimes I find the M4 Mantras a bit soft and lacking a bit of stability (which I've never said about a 191 Volkl before), and I wish they were a bit beefier. But I absolutely love that softer flex in moguls, from ice/refrozen to soft/mashed potatoes, they just bend around everything and absorb vibez so well.

How beastly are the 193 R105s going to be? I want "more ski", but not too much more.

Quote Originally Posted by forumskier View Post
    I think the R105 could replace my full rocker M4 Mantras for an all mountain shredder that also handles moguls well.

I'm trying to get a feel for how much more ski the 193 R105s will be compared to my 191 M4 Mantras. Sometimes I find the M4 Mantras a bit soft and lacking a bit of stability (which I've never said about a 191 Volkl before), and I wish they were a bit beefier. But I absolutely love that softer flex in moguls, from ice/refrozen to soft/mashed potatoes, they just bend around everything and absorb vibez so well.

How beastly are the 193 R105s going to be? I want "more ski", but not too much more.
    Good question! The R105s will go straight a good bit more stable, weigh about the same, and be versatile as all getout. Can't remember the m4 specs off the top of my head, but I did ski them as rentals way back, and enjoyed them.

I'll just say they're very good replacements for very good skis, one thing you'll probably notice is that they take a bit more speed and decisiveness to carve. For moguls, I actually believe they'll be more fun than m4s. I'm biased, but the R105s really are awesome daily drivers in soft snow locales.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    I'm biased, but the R105s really are awesome daily drivers in soft snow locales.
    I'm betting on this, I have a pair on order. When I skied the FL105 at Snowbird, I felt it was a whisker more demanding then I'd like and wants for the fall line a bit more than I'd like for my local hill. Looking for something fun and slashy to daily drive around my smallish local hill but can still step it up when I travel to CB, Jackson, Snowbird, etc. MO seemed pretty confident that the R105 could very well be the droids I'm looking for. Local hill has no snowmaking and a parking lot elevation over 10k, so the snow stays plenty soft most of the year. Do I understand correctly that there is maybe only one (1) pair of R105 prototypes in existence? Or are there a few and have they been skied by a few folks?

Edit to add: I own a pair of BC105s and have a few days in bounds and out on them and freaking LOVE them so far.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    I'm betting on this, I have a pair on order. When I skied the FL105 at Snowbird, I felt it was a whisker more demanding then I'd like and wants for the fall line a bit more than I'd like for my local hill. Looking for something fun and slashy to daily drive around my smallish local hill but can still step it up when I travel to CB, Jackson, Snowbird, etc. MO seemed pretty confident that the R105 could very well be the droids I'm looking for. Local hill has no snowmaking and a parking lot elevation over 10k, so the snow stays plenty soft most of the year. Do I understand correctly that there is maybe only one (1) pair of R105 prototypes in existence? Or are there a few and have they been skied by a few folks?

Edit to add: I own a pair of BC105s and have a few days in bounds and out on them and freaking LOVE them so far.
    Afaik, my pair are the only ones, and my feedback is to just make them match the FL113s for core thickness. I think that's where they're headed for the production run. The FL105s are more fall line oriented, where the Rs are more slashy(still fall line friendlier than most skis out there by a mile).

Both serve their purposes, I have no issues keeping both in my rotation. The 113s definitely got lower mileage this season than last, but for chonky pow, there's really no replacement for displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post

I don't wanna downtalk your current order, but from HL, did you ever consider the FR110?

Honestly, those, or Praxis MVP108 or Dyna MFree108 sounds a bit more up your alley if you ask me... Or did I totally misenterprit your preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Afaik, my pair are the only ones, and my feedback is to just make them match the FL113s for core thickness. I think that's where they're headed for the production run. The FL105s are more fall line oriented, where the Rs are more slashy(still fall line friendlier than most skis out there by a mile).

Both serve their purposes, I have no issues keeping both in my rotation. The 113s definitely got lower mileage this season than last, but for chonky pow, there's really no replacement for displacement.

Yeah, going HB122 for the chonky pow... skied those in Snowbird and they're giggle inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    I don't wanna downtalk your current order, but from HL, did you ever consider the FR110?

Honestly, those, or Praxis MVP108 or Dyna MFree108 sounds a bit more up your alley if you ask me... Or did I totally misenterprit your preferences?
    MO has also suggested that the FR110 would probably be a good DD for me, if I don't get along with the R105. I've also heard really good things about the MVP108. So I don't take your comment as downtalking my order, certainly worth considering. Though I am optimistic the R105 is going to work pretty well for me, based on how I felt about the FL version and how much I love the BC version. From all descriptions of the R, in terms of required input to performance output it seems like it'll ski somewhere in between the two, favoring being closer to the FL. Which would be totally good by me.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.