Corbett's in the Post

With a quote from tetongravity.com and everything. ..

https://nypost.com/2023/03/16/7-year...-hole-wyoming/

Another kid pushed by dad to survive a run he's not really ready for. An every day sight around here. Also an every day sight around here--kids not much older than that who could drop it clean from the lip. (PS--that's how I look dropping into Dead Tree at Olympic Valley.)

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    With a quote from tetongravity.com and everything. ..

https://nypost.com/2023/03/16/7-year...-hole-wyoming/
    'Articles' about instagram/twitter posts are the absolute worst.

I'd write them like this:
    "This is irresponsible, JHMR should be ashamed!" wrote one user. "Joe Biden is the worst - TRUMP 2024!" another observer commented. "WOKE CULTURE SUCKS" shouted another.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Another kid pushed by dad to survive a run he's not really ready for.
    I admit I've been sorta guilty of this...not really that my kid can't handle the terrain, but he might not understand the consequences of falling in said terrain (falling over a cliff, sliding into a tree, whatever).

God forbid the kid isn't sitting in front of the TV or social media where it is safe. It's a dangerous world out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    I admit I've been sorta guilty of this...not really that my kid can't handle the terrain, but he might not understand the consequences of falling in said terrain (falling over a cliff, sliding into a tree, whatever).
    The kid is going to know if he is ready to attempt a drop in like that. He has a big set of balls for doing it. When there is risk there is always an equal chance of success or failure which sometimes includes pain and injury. I don't have any children so I may not be the best judge if this is bad parenting but I have parents that never prevented me or my sister from doing stupid shit. Would there be a discussion regarding outcomes and long term consequences? Yes. Did it shape how I see things? Yes. Did it help develop my overarching sense of self preservation? You bet. Ive been at the skiing thing for fifty years as of 2023 and it's always good to see the next generation kick it in the ass. If a seven year old was too afraid to drop Corbett's there would be no talking them into it. Somehow the kid was ready. Tip of the hat to The Kid.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Another kid pushed by dad to survive a run he's not really ready for. An every day sight around here. Also an every day sight around here--kids not much older than that who could drop it clean from the lip. (PS--that's how I look dropping into Dead Tree at Olympic Valley.)
    Given JMHRs caption “The next generation is a different breed of skier. Our Mountain Sports School helps gives [young skiers] the confidence to tackle such an incredible feat,” I was thinking he must be in a lesson / on a team, and pushed into the cooler by a coach vs parent. Could be wrong tho...

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    If a seven year old was too afraid to drop Corbett's there would be no talking them into it.
    100%

Hell, sometimes my kids won't even ski up to the edge of something to just take a look.

The Kid has balls. He sizes it up, picks his line, and drops in.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Given JMHRs caption “The next generation is a different breed of skier. Our Mountain Sports School helps gives [young skiers] the confidence to tackle such an incredible feat,” I was thinking he must be in a lesson / on a team, and pushed into the cooler by a coach vs parent. Could be wrong tho...
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case--if the reason for having the kid do it was for JH publicity that would be worse. There's a lot f that going around--people having their kids to be the youngest to do this or that. People living through their kids is sad.

Re risk, I wasn't concerned about it--a 7 year old is in more danger on a bunny hill getting run into by Gwyneth Paltrew. Just that side-slipping into an iconic run like that (whcih plenty of adults do) --where the point f the run is getting into it--just seems wrong to me. Let the kid drop in properly when he'sready to d it--next year.

As far as assessing risk--7 year olds can't do that. That's the responsibility of the adult. In general it is our duty to protect our kids until they are old enough to decide for themselves. And that doesn't mean zero risk. I'd be a hypocrit if I said it did--4 broken arms between our two kids, doing parent approved activities.

Pretty certain the kid was in a lesson. the person that posted the pic is a very enthusiastic instructor and he has posted prior pics of the kids he coaches skiing corbets for the 1st time.
    I think Jimmy Chin’s kids both skied it for the first time recently too.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Co5EN4uJhsO/
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    'Articles' about instagram/twitter posts are the absolute worst.

I'd write them like this:
    "This is irresponsible, JHMR should be ashamed!" wrote one user. "Joe Biden is the worst - TRUMP 2024!" another observer commented. "WOKE CULTURE SUCKS" shouted another.
    This is hilarious

Lots of the 8 year olds have been going in this year. It's been relatively easy lately which helps. I only know a couple 7yo though that's a feat

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

People freaking out over corbetts like it’s K2 or something. Unless the kid is being flat out bullied into it, big fucking deal. It’s not fall and die terrain. Plenty of gapers try it and take a tumble. No harm, no foul. It’s intimidating. But if the kid is up to getting into the slide slip section, they’re good enough for the rest of it.

My kid was seven when his JHMR instructor dude had his whole class drop in. It’s an every day occurrence here, kind of a ‘rite of passage’ for that age group. The cool thing about doing it then is that most of them don’t weigh anything, they just kind of pinball around without too much impact if they biff.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Pretty certain the kid was in a lesson. the person that posted the pic is a very enthusiastic instructor and he has posted prior pics of the kids he coaches skiing corbets for the 1st time.
    I think Jimmy Chin’s kids both skied it for the first time recently too.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Co5EN4uJhsO/
    I happened to be there and watched this little girl drop in. Ironically I took a video that is similar because I was right next to the mom that took the video online. She was coached down by the instructor. The instructor dropped after the little girl but I am not sure about the parents. I was grateful she made it down and it was fun to witness. The little girl definitely seemed stoked and acknowledged it was harder than she thought. Being a dad myself, I appreciate watching kids grow and manage fears. Hats off to the little Grom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I know a six year old that went in too. In kindergarten, wow.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    People freaking out over corbetts like it’s K2 or something. Unless the kid is being flat out bullied into it, big fucking deal. It’s not fall and die terrain. Plenty of gapers try it and take a tumble. No harm, no foul. It’s intimidating. But if the kid is up to getting into the slide slip section, they’re good enough for the rest of it.
    This^..... One of the most dangerous runs in the world??? Bull shit.

It's a difficult drop in, but it's not a no fall zone.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    This^..... One of the most dangerous runs in the world??? Bull shit.

It's a difficult drop in, but it's not a no fall zone.
    Yes but hard to get articles approved by your editor about Asian Pussy at Blackcomb.