Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    As someone who likes a very stiff boot, all this talk of “soft” has scared me away from buying.

ONK has made it pretty clear Euros are scared of a 140 flex boot and it doesn’t sell well there. But given that they also make a 120 flex Hawx XTD, I don’t see why Atomic can’t make the 130 significantly stiffer and still call it a 130. Then if people want something softer than the 130, they can just get the 120.
    Euros are also scared of a l20 flex boot, because their groomer buddies will think they are sissies. That's why Atomic and Nordica make 2 "130" flex boots now.

I have a heel spur from overflexing my ultras that Greg punched. The boot feels stiff enough off the top but collapses at some point in the flex. I don’t know if that can be fixed without making it heavier. For the alpine boot the redster seems like the right answer to this but it seems like the hawx has much better availability and it’s hard to find redsters to try on at least here in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Now that the season is well underway and everyone has Hawx Ultra XTD here the heel spur issue is getting popular. I believe this is happening because of a few factors:

- aggressive heel cup shape bites the top of the heel

- there’s always a funny ripple in the molding of the heel cup that exacerbates the aggressive issue.

- the 130s are quite soft and overflexing makes the issue worse. I believe this also has something to do with the super narrow cuff/throat of the boot. Small diameter cylinders are not stiff and buckle in half easily, like this boot.

- walk mode attachment makes work on the area tricky and less effective

- I’m curious if the walk mode attachment pulls inwards and bites the heel on really deep flexes

- it happens on some of the Ultra RS as well.

This is the best fitting boot to ever hit the market. Hands down. Versatile fit and gives the best ankle hold on the market. This heel bite is a bad problem and can force people out of the boot. I believe if this boot was 30% stiffer things would be better and they would ski much better.
    As someone who usually skis Doberman plug boots I actually think the heel issue with the Hawk is that the heel cup isn’t aggressive enough (needs to be deeper). They’re certainly the best fitting touring boots I’ve ever had. But if I skied them every day I’d have heel issues for sure. I ski them with no punches or molding, some added foam over the fore foot and a plastic Nordica heel cup (which did improve the heel feel). Flex feels fine for a touring boot. I really want a Doberman last touring boot, I could even handle the 98mm last Doberman as the heel ankle hold of a Doberman is just worlds better than any boot on the market. But even Nordica won’t make that. The Nordica touring boots are way wider than even the pedestrian dobie.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Euros being scared of 140s doesn’t make sense. This 130 boot flexes like a 115. There are lots of good selling boots in Europe that are stiffer than the Hawx. Call it a 130 and make it stiffer.

Zipfits definitely help. From my experience it is because it completely reduces any vertical travel from heel lift causing you to top out on the heel pocket.

There is also a rearward heel bite that affects some people. A deeper pocket could help with that.

The 130 flexes fine off the top but it‘s like Santa Cruz designed the leverage curve. Just after it ramps up, it buckles. Doing it up tighter makes it stiffer off the top, but doesn’t prevent the buckling.

No one cares about the weight of this boot anymore (or at least the majority buying it), so beef it up. Lots of smaller women enjoy the 130.

For fixes, I’ve punched, heat molded, dropped the boot board, added zips. It helps but it’s not like doing a 5th met punch. I tell people not to buy it if they feel heel pain while trying it on.

That being said, the ultra xtd has outsold all our other boots combined.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    As someone who likes a very stiff boot, all this talk of “soft” has scared me away from buying.

ONK has made it pretty clear Euros are scared of a 140 flex boot and it doesn’t sell well there. But given that they also make a 120 flex Hawx XTD, I don’t see why Atomic can’t make the 130 significantly stiffer and still call it a 130. Then if people want something softer than the 130, they can just get the 120.
    The new PU one doesn’t collapse anymore for me. I’m happy with it. I find it totally adequate for touring with big skis and cast. But I also only weigh 70 kg or so.

woah... I thought I'm the only one with the heel spur issue! Hands down, Hawx XTD is the best fitting boot for me that I've found to date. Currently have first Mimic year model. I used to throw some nose butters before these boots, but with them I stopped because once I do some, next week is heel spur pain week. Is there anything that can be done? Possible solutions? Also planning an upgrade to new BOA version.

Quote Originally Posted by raerxk1 View Post
    The new PU one doesn’t collapse anymore for me.
    +1

75kg

Having already ridden On3p Wren98, Wren108, BG118 in the new PU/BOA boot, I find them more substantial, supportive and overall better than the previous generation. That being said, most of my rare issues with the previous gen were on hard groomers with Brahma82 and I still haven't had the chance to ski them with the new boots.

The heel issue is probably going to move me to a different boot. A real bummer because I like everything else about the boa version so far. It wouldn't bother me if it got stiffer.

Unfortunately ultras gave me pretty bad heel spurs back in 2016, I’ve been in a plugs since then so I can grind away material for the spurs. Too bad to hear it’s still an issue.
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 03-06-2024 at 12:27 PM.

After a couple days, I started feeling the heel on my larger foot with stock liners. Don't feel it with garas though.

Hawx Ultras gave me heel spurs too. Punching the shell over the spur and switching to Zipfits provided 90–95% relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Hawx Ultras gave me heel spurs too. Punching the shell over the spur and switching to Zipfits provided 90–95% relief.
    Hawx Ultra 130 user with haglund deformity and big heel spurs checking in. I think this is what I’ve been needing to hear for a while. I’ve been pretty Zipfit curious as of late, so that’s good to hear.

I’ve never had to have boot work done with my Hawx but the heel thing always concerned and hurt me. I guess it’s time time to pay the piper and save my feet

Yup. To me it’s the most effective method. Because shell work in the area is extremely limited due to the walk mode latch, you must eliminate all movement.

@onenerdykid

Matt, any suggestions for heel spur in Hawx Ultra XTD if I don't want to switch to another liner?

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    @onenerdykid

Matt, any suggestions for heel spur in Hawx Ultra XTD if I don't want to switch to another liner?
    Generally, the typical approach is to locally heat the area, pad the back of the liner, put the liner into the shell, wear a toe cap under your sock, and then step into the liner/shell. Stand on a flat surface and cool the shell down; don't elevate your toes, don't walk around.

Doing this will push the area away from the heel but still keep the interface between the heel pin and ski/walk mechanism intact.

Hello folks,
    has anyone been able to compare the CS 130 with the new Dobermann 5S ?

After years of loving the Hawx Ultra 130 S, I broke my second pair. Wanting something burlier, I tried skiing a couple days in the Redster CS 130. The fit is great, but the boots made everything seem more difficult. I was getting kicked back seat, constantly trying to get into position, and just generally felt a little outa control when I shouldn't have. Skiing bumps felt less smooth and more tricky. Never experienced these issues at all in the Hawx.

The difference between the two in lean angle is only 1 degree. 15 (Hawx) versus 16 (Redster). Redsters are also way heavier.

For reference I'm 205#, 6'4", advanced/expert, ski very hard/aggressive all over mountain. Front Range 60 days a year.

Am I tripping or can one degree of difference in forward lean cause this much of a change in feel? Maybe the substantial difference in weight? Wondering if its just a question of adjusting to the Redsters, or if they really ski that much different from the Hawx.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    woah... I thought I'm the only one with the heel spur issue! Hands down, Hawx XTD is the best fitting boot for me that I've found to date. Currently have first Mimic year model. I used to throw some nose butters before these boots, but with them I stopped because once I do some, next week is heel spur pain week. Is there anything that can be done? Possible solutions? Also planning an upgrade to new BOA version.

i feel less alone... it's cruelly ironic how this is the best fitting boot that i've ever had so it makes me want to throw more butters and fuck around but then my spurs get more inflamed. I've always had spurs and would feel them (even more) with ill-fitting older boots. Podiatrist explained that spurs/haglunds usually can't be "enlarged" by a ski boot (you develop them way earlier in life) but of course inflamation/swelling can occur from time to time.

i've tried all kinds of padding-donuts and they all ended up falling off/getting scrunched so at this point i'm kinda skeptical

I have a pair of Hawx Ultra XTD from 22/23 but since I have chicken legs with low instep I would like to have a thicker tounge. Unfortunately the tounge is not replaceable.
    Is it any good idea to take the liner to a shoemaker to remove the tounge and sew on some velcro to be able to mount another tongue?
    Or do I need to buy a new liner?

Quote Originally Posted by MatsB View Post
    I have a pair of Hawx Ultra XTD from 22/23 but since I have chicken legs with low instep I would like to have a thicker tounge. Unfortunately the tounge is not replaceable.
    Is it any good idea to take the liner to a shoemaker to remove the tounge and sew on some velcro to be able to mount another tongue?
    Or do I need to buy a new liner?
    Some neoprene (cut from an old thrift store wetsuit for extra points) or maybe Masterfit Eliminator Shin pads might be avenues worth exploring?

FYI to people considering the gnar bar for the newer hawx xtd boots. Be very careful with tightening the screws, and even then, I think it’s highly likely you will need to replace the T nuts. The only barrier from spinning is some thicker ridges on the base, which will easily widen the hole in the boot if one is swapping out on a regular basis. I already had to install small pronged type in its place for the one.

That being said, the gnar bar is amazing for the resort, would recommend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4983.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	491659

Anyone happen to have a spare set of spoilers for the hawx ultra s? My calf is way too small and need a pair for my second set.

Quote Originally Posted by tshire View Post
    Anyone happen to have a spare set of spoilers for the hawx ultra s? My calf is way too small and need a pair for my second set.
    I sold my Hawx Ultra, but I recall the spoilers just being velcro on a hard plastic shell - is that what you're looking for? I think I have extras of that style from Garmont Shamans.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Anyone have a source for acquiring Gnar Bars in the States online? Seems to be out of stock most places I look.

And also, what is the reason to not include an elastic powerstrap on the Hawx Ultra XTD 130 BOA? The one supplied is kind of elaborate (and expensive to make I assume), but an elastic booster adds so much more in terms of performance in my opinion…

Quote Originally Posted by jk View Post
    Anyone have a source for acquiring Gnar Bars in the States online? Seems to be out of stock most places I look.

And also, what is the reason to not include an elastic powerstrap on the Hawx Ultra XTD 130 BOA? The one supplied is kind of elaborate (and expensive to make I assume), but an elastic booster adds so much more in terms of performance in my opinion…
    I had the same question about the strap. I added the Atomic Dual Strap and very much like it, at the cost of the boot it should have come that way stock.