Check Out Our Shop
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I punched mine a shit ton for my right ankle, absolutely no problem, the carbon isnt that high up. This boot punches like butter, i shaped the toebox on the ball with just my hands.
    Thanks pretzel! Psyched to hear it. I take it you haven't had any issues with ROM?

That's probably enough for me to pull the trigger. Everyone I've sold this boot to has been pretty high on them. If it fits you nothing currently competes imo.

Weird double post:

To fullstop:
    I don’t think this replaces a lupo if it fits you well. It walks better, but it’s a lot lighter and thinner so I wouldn’t want to beat on it as a daily boot, atleast I don’t think it would last too long if you did. They get stiff when you really crank the upper two buckles, not super comfy but really ups the support. Again though not as much boot as the lupo.

Wether: Nope no changes to the rom, they feel really soft and compliant when everything is open so I dont think you can really screw them up.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    So I finally got to try a pair of these today and I’m stoked, I think theyre the best skiing + walking touring boot I’ve tried so far (Hawx XTD 130, Hoji Free 130, Lange freetour, lange xt3, mindbender 130, lupo, ZGTP)
    My inbounds boot is Lange ZBs with zipfits and I’m a 25.5 at 6,1 190lbs with lots of ankle ROM so I just blow through the flex on most boots deforming the lower shell and crushing my achilles/haglunds. All of this has made me super picky and an absolute hater of all touring boots. The ZGTP has been the closest for me so far but I absolutely hate how upright that boot is and get upset almost everytime on the first run with them.

For the Quattro XT I liked the forward lean and the lower volume fit, I skied them with a zipfit GFTs which made them ski super well. They are decently stiff without much lower shell deformation, they also have good lateral stiffness and just feel solid. The instep is really low though and I definitely need to punch for my big toes, sixth toe and my malleolus on both sides. They aren’t what I would consider a 100mm fit at all in the toebox or at all.

Golden/anyone else, have you worked on these yet? Anything to watch out for or just straight forward grilamid work?
    pretty curious, how would you compare it to the hawx fit-wise? especially interested in heel pocket, cuff and overall volume.

Chris Davenport posted on IG mentioning a “Quattro Pro”. Aside from perhaps different buckles (?), they don’t look significantly different from the current Quattro XT. But I’m curious to see what changes are being made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious if they go stiffer or a narrower last on them. If they go to a 98mm last that sounds cherry!

Wife just bought a pair of the 4 Quattro XT Womens. She’s pretty stoked on the ROM a compared to her Langes (XT LV) and from the shop fit they seem to work well for her LV (she’s in 95mm Dobermans as her resort boot) foot. The instep holds her heel down better than the otherwise narrower Langes ever did. I looked them over, and from what I can tell they seem like an impressive boot in every respect, which they should be for over $1000 retail.

I would love to check one out if it had a real touring sole!

Anyone concerned about this not being narrow enough, I’d be shocked if you found it too big. I ski plugs inbounds with some grinding and I’ve had to put in so much work on the Quattro to make them fit.

SCARPA 4 Quattro

Another very low volume foot skier checking in to say I’m really liking this boot.

Bought these in the spring as a dedicated touring boot after my 29.5 mercuries with intuition pro tongues wore out to the point where I questioned their safety.

Tried the zgtp first. 29.5 was too much volume in the instep and above the top of my foot and just felt a little long and too upright. Two full length shims and butterflies on the back of the boot and superfoot greens could make it work but started feeling ridiculous at that point. The 28.5 was too short and boot fitters were worried that to get my heel spurs to fit they would damage the walk mode.

Same exact experience with the Cochise 130 (for a different spot in the quiver) though I was really impressed with their stiffness.

Quattro XT mostly feels good everywhere. Doesn’t feel any wider in the forefoot but a lot lower volume throughout. Heel retention not bad but not amazing. Experimenting with a little padding over the top of the forefoot and butterflies at the ankle to really lock them in. Might go for an intuition pro tour MV when I wear the stock liners out.

Sounds like a lot of folks here are thinking of them as a 50/50 boot. That would be nice but they definitely are not a replacement for my Mach 1 130 LVs with zip fits (whereas I felt like Cochise 130 could be).

I actually lean to the other side and am using them as my only touring boot. I’ve done two 10k+ days in them and they’ve been great. I haven’t found another touring boot that fits me this well and I don’t get along well with soft boots so generally steer clear of the ultralight stuff.

Also think the ROM is great (cuff buckles completely undone)

Cons:
    1) The tongue and cuff overlap situation feels weird and overly complicated and finicky.

2) I wish the buckle wires on the upper two cuff buckles would “click” into the last rung like the zgtp and Cochise do and that the buckle levers themselves would fold forwards and click into place (again like the technica offerings) as this just feels cleaner than leaving them hanging loose for the uphill.

3) There are too many metal bolts on this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by enginerd; 10-20-2023 at 11:21 AM.
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Bought a pair of XTs from garuda here on gear swap. Finally got the liners baked and skied them today for the first time.

I really like them. I've been skiing Scarpa Freedom RS (130 flex) and Scarpa Mobes, both more inbounds than touring. The marketing department says the XTs are 130 flex but they don't feel as stiff as the Freedom RS. For me, that's a good thing.

Yes, they are a bit fiddly but as an old fart, I really appreciate the ease of entry and exit compared to the overlap Freedom RS. I've been dealing with a similar design on the Mobes for years so it's second nature to me. I suspect if you've skied Maestrales or F1s, you're also used to the fiddly bits.

They are light! On my feet, walking around, they don't feel substantial but they ski great.

The strap is kinda like a Booster strap and really seems to add to the progressive forward flex on these. Much better than the Freedom RS which felt like I was pushing against a concrete wall from the start.

I get the "weird" feeling of walking in these but I got over that in about 10 steps. As noted, just make sure you're in walk mode when walking around in them.

It was low 20s today and I definitely felt like these were a bit colder than either the Mobes or Freedom RS. You can't get to 3 pounds without a thinner liner and shell material. Not uncomfortably colder, but it was noticeable. If you have cold feet (I don't) this might be a consideration.

Fit-wise, these felt great out of the box except for some hot spots around the medial ankle bones. As is the case with most Scarpas, the instep is quite low but that works for my duck feet. The last is quite narrow for a touring focused boot; I'm guessing 100mm but haven't seen the specs to verify. Heel isn't overly narrow (again, very similar to other Scarpas I've owned) but I get more than adequate holddown from the low instep height.

I'm pretty easy on equipment and I'm hoping these will work as my primary inbounds boot as well as the occasional tour. I'm keeping the Mobes as my primary touring boot.

An additional thought after day 2 on these boots and actually skiing some ungroomed snow:

The instep on these is not nearly as low as either the F1 or the Mobe. I'm going to have to put shims under the liner to stop up and down movement. This is actually good news for those folks that have average to low insteps (not very low like mine) as they will work for a wider range of people.

FKNA!

Skiing crud, powder and bumps, my left 4 Quatro went into walk mode because the catch ripped out of the 'holder'. The other is cracked and going to blow out next. Of course this is 1 month out of warranty. We'll see how Scarpa responds to my warranty claim. This is clearly a design flaw, IMO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2778.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	479595

PSA check your boots before heading out. This could really suck if in the wrong circumstances.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-15-2023 at 06:34 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Kudos to Scarpa!

They responded within 30 minutes and will repair or replace the boots. My carving buddy says I need to get a dedicated alpine boot instead. I've definitely lost confidence in these boots for area skiing and starting to think he's right.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    FKNA!

Skiing crud, powder and bumps, my left 4 Quatro went into walk mode because the catch ripped out of the 'holder'. The other is cracked and going to blow out next. Of course this is 1 month out of warranty. We'll see how Scarpa responds to my warranty claim. This clearly a design flaw, IMO.

Name:	IMG_2778.jpeg 
Views:	113 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	479595

PSA check your boots before heading out. This could really suck if in the wrong circumstances.
    This has happened a lot with these boots. There's a couple photos on skimo of the same failure mode. They need a redesign.

A buddy and former shop owner with a long history with Scarpa thinks it's at least partially due to the soybean based material used for the boot.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Hmmmm

Not great news. I had planned to ski these mostly inbounds. Maybe time to rethink that. Luckily, Peruvian is going to deliver a pair of Lange RX120s that MilesToGo gifted to me tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm definitely rethinking this now. I probably had half million vertical inbounds on these and was really liking them for that and their crossover for BC.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Fuck that’s not great, damn this is the best skiing bc boot out there.

Was considering taking these on a hut trip next week, but this makes me nervous.

We only sell the SL and haven't seen any break. But we haven't sold that many. Anyone seen this on the SL yet or only XTs?

If I was heading out for a hut trip now, l’d prefer my old Maestrales.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

If I was heading out for a hut trip now, l’d prefer my old Maestrales.

Photo from skimo... They need to beef up the plastic around the pivot.

Name:	Screenshot_20231215-195347.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	480.2 KB 
ID:	479655

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Was considering taking these on a hut trip next week, but this makes me nervous.

We only sell the SL and haven't seen any break. But we haven't sold that many. Anyone seen this on the SL yet or only XTs?
    Seems like slightly different scaffo between the sl and xt...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000036253.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	479657

SCARPA 4 Quattro

It looks like this year’s Maestrales are of similar materials and have the same walk/ski mode lock. Any word on whether or not they have the same issue as the 4 Quattro XTs?

My tried and true Hurricanes skied fine today and the lock reestablished confidence for those, but it’s destroyed for the Quattros. It’d be great if they come up with a bomber repair option for current boots and design a more robust option for 4 Quattro 2.0.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

It looks like this year’s Maestrales are of similar materials and have the same walk/ski mode lock. Any word on whether or not they have the same issue as the 4 Quattro XTs?

My tried and true Hurricanes skied fine today and the lock reestablished confidence for those, but it’s destroyed for the Quattros. It’d be great if they come up with a bomber repair option for current boots and design a more robust option for 4 Quattro 2.0.

I doubt anyone has enough time on the new Maestrale to know if this issue will pop up yet, but I have a feeling it might. The Quattro is a fantastic design, with a weird fit and some major flaws that have just started to crop up. FYI I've only seen your issue on boots that have been skied hard inbounds, but others have broken the cuff/tongue interface and the buckles also seem like a weak point. No idea if the Quattro 2.0 is on it's way, but I hope it is.

Keyword being: ‘feeling’ in the back of your head. Personally, my alpine use would far more taxing on the boot than BC, but….

The Cripple Creek video from August highlighted new changes to the Maestrale overall, but as you suggested the honeymoon isn’t over yet.

Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com