Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Anyone have a read on this storm? Not sure if the call is to come up Monday morning or Tuesday.

Looking at the below, I am betting on Monday being a great day.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-10 100726.png
Views: 1322
Size:  46.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Just landed into town — already nuking down the hill. Next couple days look wild, if anybody is looking to ski/ride with a buddy, feel free to DM!

Today was awesome! They ran 22! Love this mountain.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Today was awesome! They ran 22! Love this mountain.
    Could not believe how long they kept 22 spinning — huge props to mountain ops!! Never dropped the Avis but the face held clean lines until I bailed around 3pm. Lincoln had no business delivering today (see: winds, and heavy moisture content, and early season) but man did it. Picked a line off the Avi1 ridge dropping back into Viva that was an instant classic for my brain

Anyone make it out today? Heard 395 was closed earlier and conditions all around were pretty nautical...feel bad for the weekend warriors as it doesn't seem like much was open. Tuesday sounds like it's gonna be the day...

Hope some of you guys had fun today!

I'm driving up tomorrow morning. Will probably leave around 330, hopefully skiing by 945 or 10.

Give me a shout if you see me. Red/orange arctyrex jacket, blue pants, black helmet with gopro. I'll be skiing 186 4frnt ehps, with this topsheet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4frnt-ehp-skis-2011-.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	437913
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Enjoy, the cams are looking really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

My brother, LBskier, and hutash are on the ground in Mammoth today and it sounds like a terrific day of skiing. I'm envious! And given how much snow has been falling, it should set Mammoth up for a nice, long season with a proper base.

Check me on a rumor I heard. In years past, overnight parking in the Berner lot seemed to be kosher, even charging for overnight stays in the lot. This year, it sounds like that's a no-go, including lot patrols, and even calling the cops on lot campers. Is that the case? Are the days of dirt-bagging in the village over?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Check me on a rumor I heard. In years past, overnight parking in the Berner lot seemed to be kosher, even charging for overnight stays in the lot. This year, it sounds like that's a no-go, including lot patrols, and even calling the cops on lot campers. Is that the case? Are the days of dirt-bagging in the village over?
    This is correct.

Another confirmation. Came back from a dinner in the village to my friends van being inspected by security to make sure they weren't sleeping in it a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    This is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Another confirmation. Came back from a dinner in the village to my friends van being inspected by security to make sure they weren't sleeping in it a few weeks ago.
    I appreciate the responses. Thank you. Bummer to hear it.

I'm guessing the town didn't like the loss of lodging revenue? Or maybe it was too many #vanlife bros and Cousin Eddies (like me) clogging up the place?

It was such a sweet set-up; crash in the lot at night, get some take-out ramen from across the street and walk to the gondi or the bus stop in the morning.

Aside from the RV park, are there any lot camping options in town? Or are we relegated to overpriced lodging? I've been making regular trips down there the last few years and loved taking the camper.

Amazing weekend out there, only wished I could have stayed for Monday. Was able to ski from 9-4 each day. Vis and winds were worse on Saturday, but cleared up a little on Sunday. Powder was fantastic, reinforced my view that storm days are better than bluebird days, as you can keep getting refills all day long. Also saw Bentchetler and his wife along with the photographer following (with a trash bag around the camera), pretty sure he was testing next year's BC120 as I didn't recognize the topsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crouching Dallas View Post
    Could not believe how long they kept 22 spinning — huge props to mountain ops!! Never dropped the Avis but the face held clean lines until I bailed around 3pm. Lincoln had no business delivering today (see: winds, and heavy moisture content, and early season) but man did it. Picked a line off the Avi1 ridge dropping back into Viva that was an instant classic for my brain
    Props to MMSP for the surprise 22 opening. Sunday I saw 22 spinning with no one on it and made a bee line for it. Got about 20 people back from first chair, and waited the 30 or so minutes until they opened it (enviously staring at the Black Pass members in front). Was able to get first tracks down Avy 1 (or maybe Avy 1.5? Not too familiar with which chute was which).

Viva looked amazing from the lift, I'm sure it was tracked out quickly. Glad you got some good lines!

Unless you are super stealth, it is the RV park, Scenic loop or out East. The scenic loop has filled up and on big snows can be closed. The Rv park jacked their rates again but also have offered a van deal for 50% off but you are splitting a spot with another van. Another option is to go down to Pleasant Valley pit at the bottom of Sherwin Grade. It was $14/night and gets you a pit toilet.

Map of allowed areas is https://mltpa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/E...ue&theme=light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I appreciate the responses. Thank you. Bummer to hear it.

I'm guessing the town didn't like the loss of lodging revenue? Or maybe it was too many #vanlife bros and Cousin Eddies (like me) clogging up the place?

It was such a sweet set-up; crash in the lot at night, get some take-out ramen from across the street and walk to the gondi or the bus stop in the morning.

Aside from the RV park, are there any lot camping options in town? Or are we relegated to overpriced lodging? I've been making regular trips down there the last few years and loved taking the camper.
    Cops seemed to look the other way at "the tanks" out towards Sherwin road.

I usually drive out to the tubs and stay at hilltop. Steady stream of naked chicks, dudes and weirdos and cool ppl.

I'm pretty spent right now, and it's tough to find words for today. It is very rare to get the paranoids in deep, stable blower pow. My fourth p1 lap I was still getting some face shots. I felt like I was skiing storm day trees Lincoln chair 22/25 type pow, except I was skiing it in the paranoids. Tomorrow should be really fun. If any of you are around give me a shout if you see me. The snow was so light that tomorrow should be great. This storm needs to be cloned over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I'm pretty spent right now, and it's tough to find words for today. It is very rare to get the paranoids in deep, stable blower pow. My fourth p1 lap I was still getting some face shots. I felt like I was skiing storm day trees Lincoln chair 22/25 type pow, except I was skiing it in the paranoids. Tomorrow should be really fun. If any of you are around give me a shout if you see me. The snow was so light that tomorrow should be great. This storm needs to be cloned over and over again.

Stoked you got it!! And you’re right, was a perfect storm for Mammoth - quality storm riding, some heavier stuff at first to cushion any hardpack, and then total blower on top for face shots aplenty. Gorgeous

After riding all weekend I had to head back early today to spell my wifey from her gauntlet of toddler + infant parenting…but not before i feasted on Rogers in the most excellent pow. Totally wind loaded under the cliffs and, with the exception of one very angry rock, bottomless!

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I’m out on the hill. Hit me up with a text if your around.
    There’s still some untracked around.

Name:	0EA8B490-C5E9-45A3-8609-7B92FA2EADC5.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	864.0 KB 
ID:	438101
    This was my last run and I’m headed back there.
    Christian
    (775) 224-9755

Sunny and the winds have dropped off from yesterday making it feel much warmer. Spent most of Tuesday lapping the same area and find untracked snow til closing.

Name:	F90A6CE9-6299-4C1A-BA2D-F1D73E4AA6E8.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	438252
    Skied this line 3x yesterday. I was the only one that put tracks in it.
    Super fun, cold blower pow.

Pretty awesome weekend. Ended up calling a Family ditch day on Monday so Team Comish rallied early. Got a Roger's which strangely had quite a few tracks in it for first thing, then went baby gravy to the area left of ADG for a few untracked runs off ch1. Got a txt from a buddy that 12 was gonna open and got maybe 6th chair over there. Best ch12 run I have ever had! So light and fluffy it was just blowing up everywhere and no line for a couple of laps. Not insanely deep since it was warm at the start of the storm, but a perfect foot or maybe 18" in deep spots, but way lighter than Mammoth ever is. Top layer was blower!

Then went and waited in line at Mid. Ended up waiting 2 hours for it to pop. Even with all that, we weren't that close to the front. Guessing at 15th car +/- but who really knows. Even black pass people were waiting an hour + and then they didn't unload the first cars coming from G1 so it was a bit of a cluster on opening. They also let tons of singles roll as groups so not the best managed line on opening. Was probably 2nd or 3rd into P1 after Patrol. Sooo fun! face shots, small airs off the side, and deep in the gully. The runouts weren't that deep, but the gullys were great.

To answer the above question, from what I saw there were no major slides in the Noids. Things sluffed and slid, but nothing like last year to the ground. You can roll right into them from the top and they are in great shape. Dave's seemed to have the biggest crown I saw followed by climax. Neither went to the ground though so we should be good. In general, for how much snow/wind there was no truly enormous Mammoth slides.

Anyone find a pole in P2? It's an old 48" Scott.

Mini Comish lost one probably 4 or 5 turns in on the skiers left side. I can barely keep up with him, and he was a bit pissed off to have crashed on the 1st run in the Noids after waiting for 2 hours. He didn't appreciate that my buddy and I were sooo stoked since his runs didn't meet expectations.

Name:	20221212_094005.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	438253

You can see some sluffage but nothing major in the Noids

Name:	20221212_094008.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	438254

Sunday we nailed the timing seeing that ch10 opened. We rallied out and hiked Lincoln. We must have been a bit behind the Mammoth photog's, but check out Kimmy Fasani's picts to see how pow just blew up. They basically tracked Viva so we hit Grizzly with only a couple other tracks. That was deepest run of the weekend for me and left us stoked. Patrol said at the top that 22 was gonna open soonish so we got in line. Preceded to do a bunch more laps all over Lincoln in some great blower pow. Awesome afternoon!

The mountain is in sweet shape for mid December! Thank you ULLR!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I’m out on the hill. Hit me up with a text if your around.
    There’s still some untracked around.

Name:	0EA8B490-C5E9-45A3-8609-7B92FA2EADC5.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	864.0 KB 
ID:	438101
    This was my last run and I’m headed back there.
    Christian
    (775) 224-9755
    Sweet! Was hoping that would open on Monday, but hadn't by the time we called it.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Sweet! Was hoping that would open on Monday, but hadn't by the time we called it.
    That area skied well all day (Tues) due to the chair that accesses it was closed. Each lap required a three chair circuit to get back there.
    Eagle exp to Cny exp to ch 5. Yesterday (Wed) was a different story. That chair opened with direct access to it, so lots of people were out there. Fun while it lasted.

Name:	93882342-325F-4E3F-840F-5EAD6627191D.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	430.7 KB 
ID:	438356
    Big fracture line stretches from one side of Daves to the other.

Name:	E396DA0B-5917-46CF-86D1-89771DFE40A6.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	506.5 KB 
ID:	438357
    Skied hangers yesterday for the 1st time this season. It’s boney and I had to Mtn goat thru the throat. Don’t think I’ll be back until it snows.

Name:	2C5972CB-E99D-48DD-8354-C1E76B0CCBF9.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	852.7 KB 
ID:	439088
    It was full contact shopping at the Mammoth Vons tonight, so wear your helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post

Name:	2C5972CB-E99D-48DD-8354-C1E76B0CCBF9.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	852.7 KB 
ID:	439088
    It was full contact shopping at the Mammoth Vons tonight, so wear your helmet.
    He's training for Alaska...

Pretty good skiing the last two days. SW winds were blowing and made for some good skiing up Top in places. Drop Out, Dave, and Climax sign line all skied well. If you can get past the base lifts the crowds haven't been bad. No lines at all on ch 23 yesterday and after lunch the line at McCoy for G2 was 2-3 minutes at most.

Name:	IMG_4717.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	681.2 KB 
ID:	439219
    Top of Wipeout on Monday. It fractured down to the dirt sometime this weekend. Must have gotten some wind loading as it hasn't snowed.

Name:	IMG_4721.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	439218
    Skiers left of Climax has been good the last couple days. That's my kid dropping off the fracture line in Climax. He's home for winter break from his 1st semester at Montana St Uni and is enjoying the "warm" California skiing as it's forecast to be -30 below in Bozeman Wednesday night.

Here's a link from a van lifer thats been skiing here the last few days. He seems pretty stoked on Mammoth and chair 23.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 12-21-2022 at 06:27 PM.