Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

Thread: Water.....

New waters of the US definition has been posted.

Hmm. So, it was a mistake to move our food production away from the east where it rains. It's also an epic fail letting so many water intensive crops be grown where there isn't much water and then sending much of it overseas.

I drive around NY and New England and look at all of the thousands of acres of empty farmland being taken over by invasives and goldenrod and hundreds of orchards fading into oblivion and think "why aren't we feeding the world?" Then I realized we are, sort of. We're just going about it all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Hmm. So, it was a mistake to move our food production away from the east where it rains. It's also an epic fail letting so many water intensive crops be grown where there isn't much water and then sending much of it overseas.

I drive around NY and New England and look at all of the thousands of acres of empty farmland being taken over by invasives and goldenrod and hundreds of orchards fading into oblivion and think "why aren't we feeding the world?" Then I realized we are, sort of. We're just going about it all wrong.
    I think it had something to do with taking advantage of the much longer growing season in the Southwest. But policies have certainly made it a lot harder to grow crops in the northeast despite usually having a surplus of water.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Heard some blurb about them barging in fresh water to Louisiana due to the drought, and there is salt water incursion up into the Mississippi River due to depleted flow. At one point there was entertaining the thought of piping water from the Miss westward. But somehow the tributaries aren’t supplying enough. Do I have that right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	673.7 KB 
ID:	470715

humans taking something for granted? never

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I think it had something to do with taking advantage of the much longer growing season in the Southwest. But policies have certainly made it a lot harder to grow crops in the northeast despite usually having a surplus of water.
    Also, significant amounts of New England and upstate NY farmland is rolling hills or somewhat uneven terrain, which complicates modern efficiency gains designed around the flat Midwest and southwest.

Policies, efficiencies, longer growing seasons... Blah. If there isn't enough water NONE of that matters. Grow food where things like to grow.

Policies, efficiencies, longer growing seasons... Blah. If there isn't enough water NONE of that matters. Grow food where things like to grow.
    Have you ever tried to plow a field in New England? It's nothing but rocks.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Build a wall!

Out west farmers have taken on multi year projects just to get irrigation to their rocky fields. Get to work, son. Those walls won't build themselves.

The Northeast has two harvests a year. In the spring you pull the rox that got pushed up by the frost then, as is the case everywhere else, food in the fall. Higher elevation fields can have a rock harvest in early winter if there's a significant thaw.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	673.7 KB 
ID:	470715
    That’s a fun graphic. I just spent the last 30 minutes staring at it visualizing canoe trips on all the different river systems.

Note: I visited a dispensary in the UP yesterday.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    the place with 360 sunny days is not the place with the water. Who knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    That’s a fun graphic. I just spent the last 30 minutes staring at it visualizing canoe trips on all the different river systems.

The visualizing came after the dispo visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

I like your perspective.

Way too much of it right now in NYC.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/29/weath...day/index.html
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

^^^ Perfectly normal.

The winter seers are now declaring an El Nino for the ages, whatever that means.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Ya want water? Come and get it. There's entirely too much here. I'm over 20" just this month. Fuk this

Ya want water? Come and get it. There's entirely too much here. I'm over 20" just this month. Fuk this
    Feast or famine. Or is it droughts or floods?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

8.6" at JFK today. You can't drive north out of NYC right now, and haven't been able to since around noon, because almost every N/S road is closed from flooding and the trains are down heading north, east and most of the western lines.

Too much water.

It's (past) time for that national pipeline system I've been yammering about for a few decades.

I left Ossining at 1315 and the roads were flooded. 15 MPH on the Sawmill. Six hours to Absecon, NJ from Ossining.

NYC, the New Venice.

I thought I heard once that the secret to the flavor of NY pizza crust and bagels was the water.

That's right but it's the stuff that comes out of the 100+ year old iron and lead pipes. It adds that special essence...