Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Antiwork

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Pretty much. It has polluted peoples brain. Even in today's relatively high wage environment for contractors, too many people are willing to work for what someone else tells them the job pays. They need to learn from the piece rate Hispanics. Those dudes will bounce for any small price increase they get get.

Governments and municipalities are hilarious also. They keep the pay low, the benefits super high so they get unhealthy older people with lots of kids as staff. But they'll pay outside contractors top price?

So yeah, take the power back. The talked about impending recession is a reason to fight for money money not to sit on your hands and be thankful for what you got. The fact that big tech is kicking the laptop class in the nuts and that the top of the wealth scale is sounding the alarm that the asset bubble may burst ain't my problem.

Some of the biggest erosions to real wealth have come during periods of high inflation where groceries go up weeks and wages go up sometimes never.

But the kicker is you have to be willing to leave your job and you have to be willing to proactively tell this to the boss man. People struggle with this and don't like talking about money. Its totally cool to have a friendly conversation that says, "Hey Lumburg, I'm happy here but I come to work primarily for the money. I'm always looking to see what my options are and in seems Innotec is a bit behind the market. I'd like to talk about how I can get a raise".

You should always know what your path is too make more money. If your boss can't or won't help you develop that plan, your should have one foot (at least) out the door. But the other catch is your have to be of value AKA good at your job. This is where there is a disconnect and a skills gap.

Anyhoo...off to raise prices before I send out the next invoice.
    Hahaha. Guess I misunderstood what you first wrote. Can confirm, was outside contractor for government gig the other day. IT person who worked there was a bit older. I was totally unnecessary, but got some good money out of it. Happens with corps too. I guess it's good for a network/cabling tech that there's still a ridiculous amount of money being poured into the building and equipping of office space?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Not sure where else to put this but management and the owners deserve significant consequences for this. Because it’s Mississippi it’ll probably just be a slap on the wrist.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/16-year...lant-rcna94963

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’ll add this one in too…

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna92961

Texas state law overrides local government worker protections for mandatory water breaks. Fuck Texas.

With a last name like Perez the people in power will send thoughts and prayers and no more.

I've recently survived* a third or fourth round of layoffs depending on when the counting starts. Less than inspiring.

Kids dying in meat processing plants has an Upton Sinclair feel to it. I'll bet a 6 pack of beer the kid was working with a subcontractor. It gives the conglomerates plausible deniability when it comes to workers getting maimed and dying.

In other news, I fired a client yesterday and it feels pretty fucking good.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I'll bet a 6 pack of beer the kid was working with a subcontractor. It gives the conglomerates plausible deniability when it comes to workers getting maimed and dying.
    I owe myself some beer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/investi...d-wo-rcna95174

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Pretty much. It has polluted peoples brain. Even in today's relatively high wage environment for contractors, too many people are willing to work for what someone else tells them the job pays. They need to learn from the piece rate Hispanics. Those dudes will bounce for any small price increase they get get.

Governments and municipalities are hilarious also. They keep the pay low, the benefits super high so they get unhealthy older people with lots of kids as staff. But they'll pay outside contractors top price?

So yeah, take the power back. The talked about impending recession is a reason to fight for money money not to sit on your hands and be thankful for what you got. The fact that big tech is kicking the laptop class in the nuts and that the top of the wealth scale is sounding the alarm that the asset bubble may burst ain't my problem.

Some of the biggest erosions to real wealth have come during periods of high inflation where groceries go up weeks and wages go up sometimes never.

But the kicker is you have to be willing to leave your job and you have to be willing to proactively tell this to the boss man. People struggle with this and don't like talking about money. Its totally cool to have a friendly conversation that says, "Hey Lumburg, I'm happy here but I come to work primarily for the money. I'm always looking to see what my options are and in seems Innotec is a bit behind the market. I'd like to talk about how I can get a raise".

You should always know what your path is too make more money. If your boss can't or won't help you develop that plan, your should have one foot (at least) out the door. But the other catch is your have to be of value AKA good at your job. This is where there is a disconnect and a skills gap.

Anyhoo...off to raise prices before I send out the next invoice.
    Making $29/hour signing checks all day for $290/hour consultants. I feel it so hard, man, lol.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

There’s always money in the guillotine stand

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8RC398o/

Work is stupid we're fucked

The current economic system us fucked. Are you people worried about material wealth or even just monetary wealth are fucked myself included. I need to figure out a different way or we're fucked but then again I'm pretty sure we're all fucked anyway we're fucked get fucked you're fucked im fucked

Heard this on NPR a while back. It's worth a listen. https://www.npr.org/2023/05/04/11736...d-labor-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Heard this on NPR a while back. It's worth a listen. https://www.npr.org/2023/05/04/11736...d-labor-crisis
    "One thing I was surprised to learn is that child labor is almost never a criminal offense. It's a civil issue, and the maximum fine is $15,000."

That's such a steaming pile of horseshit. Fine should MINIMUM be a half-million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    "One thing I was surprised to learn is that child labor is almost never a criminal offense. It's a civil issue, and the maximum fine is $15,000."

That's such a steaming pile of horseshit. Fine should MINIMUM be a half-million dollars.
    Yeah, wage theft isn't a crime either, even though it's the biggest form of theft (in dollar terms). Maybe if employers started going to jail when they kill people or steal from them they'd have to shape up

Seems like at a minimum we need some laws that directly target high level staff in these firms with penalties (profit claw backs, bonus claw backs, salary penalties, jail, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Seems like at a minimum we need some laws that directly target high level staff in these firms with penalties (profit claw backs, bonus claw backs, salary penalties, jail, etc).
    You'd better start buying politicians and supreme court justices. And having private jets and mega yachts they can access whenever always helps.

I haven’t worked at all in like 4 years

Joker.gif

Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    I haven’t worked at all in like 4 years

Joker.gif

Thieving is work. Selling drugs is work. Value your labor.

Cashapp me

$Nonsticktaxes

Trying to go heli skiing. Fund it

Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I'm retiring at age 52

I'll have a low stress part time job

Not having children let's one enjoy life more

Working to death is over rated

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Kids dying in meat processing plants has an Upton Sinclair feel to it. .
    Reread that book a year ago. It’s a time capsule.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    <snip>
    Not having children let's one enjoy life more

Name:  antiwork1.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  114.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Used to be the wives of the wealthy banker types around here would open up an antique store or clothing boutique to keep themselves occupied (and losses provided a tax break for the husbands) Now they can just film themselves kneading dough and it’s actually a net gain (though I do wonder for some of them how much paid promotion gets them pushed up in your feed )

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Hilarious as that post truly is, there are certainly worse ways for rich housewives to spend their time than cosplaying as simple farm folk, baking some kickass bread from scratch, raising chickens, whatever. If I were ultra-wealthy, Mrs. JetBlue in that pic is absolutely what I'd want for wife versus the "Real Housewives of [fill in the blank]." Just be hot, pump out babies for me, and keep baking dat bread. Hell yeah! Good on 'em, for real. She's a keeper.

fwiw, I recently had the pleasure of using an Aga type stove. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.