Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1076

The Black Crows thread

Some decent sales out there....got this sweet pow combo down to about $820US.....gonna think on it. It's a want, not a need. And I want to see how I like the Animas.

Name:  101870-018-F.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  109.4 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	look-2024-look-pivot-15-gw-ski-bindings__61680.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	489727
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-08-2024 at 01:33 AM.

$160 for Aattack 14GW from Ptex and I got my local shop to match Ptex’s price on the Atris for $499. Stoked!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good deal on this orb. They ski true to length. Very much like a narrow Corvus.

https://www.powder7.com/Black-Crows-...hoCGqgQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    It's a want, not a need.
    For science!

Last edited by kid-kapow; 03-08-2024 at 03:01 PM.

The Black Crows thread

Skied the 182cm BC Anima today for the first time. Multiple Peak, Harmony and Red Chair laps at Whistler as no lines at all today.?

Conditions were mostly soft but with a crunchy bottom in places. Snowed all day but it didn’t really accumulate. Run of the day was Insanity under Red chair.

Too tired to post much tonight except to say the Anima has very good suspension, too stability and grip. I was impressed at its firm-variable snow versatility for a 115mm ski. Legs are beat! Must be all that camber.

Name:	IMG_6864.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	489873

Last edited by kc_7777; 03-09-2024 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    For science!

That camber looks pretty minimal, like the Cochise perhaps. Description definitely puts it in the same Cochise/ Corvus category as it is now. Although, his comment about 186 being the longest option seems off as plenty of places have listed a 191 for next year. I’m pretty excited by all the reviews so far. I like the idea of a full sheet of metal, it might even improve on its crud crushing capabilities over the shorter 120cm sheets of metal. Hopefully, it doesn’t lose its edge holding capacity from dropping from 2 to 1 under foot.

For those that want to stock up on the outgoing Corvus, BC has it on sale on their site down to pro-form prices.

They hopefully have a 191 option. When I skied the 186 it was plenty of ski but didn’t ski long by any means

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    They hopefully have a 191 option. When I skied the 186 it was plenty of ski but didn’t ski long by any means

https://www.newschoolers.com/ski-gea...is/2890/Corvus

They list 176, 181, 186, and 191. That’s a great size range. Nice to see every 5cm as opposed to something like the Mfree 108 with 10cm jumps. Do we know what the mount point is yet?
    -6cm, -8cm? I’m guessing it’s probably moved forward to -6 like the Anima with the rockered tail. If so, the 186 would be more like the current 183 and the 191 like the current 188. They probably don’t sell a ton of the 193 and probably a 196 might be a tough sell.

What do mags in the chat think about the Daemon? Was it just a skinny Corvus (or rather Corvus was a fat Daemon)? Seems like it could be a nice frontside ripper with some playfulness attached. It also kinda looks like a skinny HL R105.

I have a pair of the 183 Daemon’s, they are really fun, but I wouldn’t call them a skinny Corvus. The mount points and construction are very similar. But the Daemons have a true full rocker profile, which makes them more pivot-y, but they also have less edge grip when things are really firm. This is usually no problem at my home resort (Alta) where even the groomers are usually pretty soft, but I wouldn’t want them as a firm snow ski in more icey locales. They also have a slightly softer tip than the Corvus, which helps them to excel in bumps, as the soft shovel can absorb and deform to match the shape of the bump. They are an excellent spring ski, as the full rocker is much less hooky when the snow starts to get warm and grabby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    What do mags in the chat think about the Daemon? Was it just a skinny Corvus (or rather Corvus was a fat Daemon)? Seems like it could be a nice frontside ripper with some playfulness attached. It also kinda looks like a skinny HL R105.
    Daemon (99 waist) def quicker/more playful and better in bumps and slush than Corvus (107 waist). Corvus better in crud and refrozen and is more composed at Mach Looney (hit about 60 mph on Corvus; Daemon had lower speed limit by 8-10 mph). If you like 183 Corvus maybe go 188 Daemon (to account for full reverse). I’ve owned both and those sizes were great for me at 6’1”, 170 lbs

Awesome, thanks for the feedback and exactly what I want to hear re the Daemon being a spring-oriented ski which is more agile and playful than the Corvus...I managed to find a 177 version (I'm only 5'8, 150) which I'm now totally stoked about!

I just finished 5 days out at Whistler, on the current gen Corvus. I had bought this ski at the beginning of the season as a travel ski knowing I was headed out here, man it did not disappoint. The first three days were mostly bluebird, with a bit of soft snow on top of the mega dump. Alpine was soft and choppy everywhere, the ski just loves this type of snow, and inspires you to make big fall line turns. Hop back on to a soft groomer and it just rages. Skied lots of bumps and trees later in the week, and the flat camber is super easy to pivot and smear on the tops of bumps, gives you lots of line options. The last day was about a foot of fresh overnight above mid mountain and while I never felt held back, there are better cheater pow tools. All in all stoked.

I've been really Daemon curios too, although tricky to find. I can't seem to find any ski that looks like its equivalent in production.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Paging the draco phone, anyone get on one? Can they go on sale soon please lol
    Same question?!

-5cm mount.

Around 180 straight pull for the 181.5.

Twin tip.

I think these would be awesome.

Anyone been on the Draco?

And definitely not on sale yet.

Tim at Ptex up in Billings was selling the 181 for $575 as part of his close out sale in GS a few weeks back. Worth an ask

Same question?!

-5cm mount.

Around 180 straight pull for the 181.5.

Twin tip.

I think these would be awesome.

To post this again:

Name:	1702894853-blackcrowsdracofreebird.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	491531
    Their specs = bc weapon.

My main takeaway after trying them was that ATK RentMes sucks. And yeah, their pricing is still bonkers.

I added to my Crows quiver after coming across a sweetheart of a deal on some Mirus Cor demos. I figure I can easily unload them if I don’t like. Took them out today for the first time while coaching some groms with mostly firmish spring conditions. It’s definitely a ski that takes a moment to get used to, maybe it’s just being uncomfortable with a 13m turn radius at first. But, I definitely liked them a lot more as the day went on. It’s fun to have a carving ski that you can switch to a slash in a moments notice. I took them off some small-medium park jumps and they were fun in the air, although the light went flat and I hate spinning in flat light so I can’t report on that. It’s hard to argue that they are fun. I also found them far more stable than what I’ve heard from previous reviews. I’ll need some more time on them to render judgement, but I can see having some fun days in them early or late season and during low tide. Really pretty fun to roll from edge to edge carving and then find a side kicker.

Hi all,

I need advice. Been riding the Corvus Freebird for the past 7-8 years (183 and then 188, i'm 6'2 and 200lbs) on the Tecnica ZGTP. Fantastic ski. Coming from racing in my youth, I'm a big fan of one directional. However, past two-three years I have been experimenting with a lighter setup for some steeper skiing/ couloir skiing, later in winter and earlier in spring. Borrowed the Camox Freebird but didn't like it's two rocker profile and then got myself the Orb freebird in 184 with a superlightweight binding. However, I found out that the Orb has issues for me in anything deeper (90mm after all for a big guy like me) and especially in shit snow (crud or windpack), it has trouble pushing through tough conditions. I tend to ski aggressive, but obviously not when it goes super steep, that's when I need more stability (and Orb + ATK Trofeo binding doesn't make me confident, although I've seen people in Cham doing crazy things on this combo - maybe I'm just not there yet)

I started looking more closely at the Solis - I know it's not too lightweight, but looking at it in 180cm, I'm thinking it could be a great ski for me for whenever the plan is to go steeper or when I know conditions won't be super favorable (otherwise Corvus Freebird 188 would be my go-to ski).

Any thoughts on using Solis for steep spring objectives and icy couloirs and and late-winter to spring conditions where I know snow will be tricky?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
    Any thoughts on using Solis for steep spring objectives and icy couloirs and and late-winter to spring conditions where I know snow will be tricky?
    you mean in the exact conditions they have been designed to be used? They will be just what the doctor would have ordered to cure you of your narrow ski malaise

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    you mean in the exact conditions they have been designed to be used? They will be just what the doctor would have ordered to cure you of your narrow ski malaise
    Yes. I have Orb Fbs and Solis, and there’s no way I’d take the orb over the Solis on a day it’s gonna be firm and/or real steep. Orbs are super fun, but more of a corn and chill winter tour ski.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Yes. I have Orb Fbs and Solis, and there’s no way I’d take the orb over the Solis on a day it’s gonna be firm and/or real steep. Orbs are super fun, but more of a corn and chill winter tour ski.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. Would you mind sharing what bindings you put on those two? And what boots do you usually drive them with? Thank you!

Orb: tlt5 or 6 with dynafit verticals. Solis with ATK core pro 12 with ZGTP

ETA: The solis is definitely good with my beefed up TLT6s (plug wrap liner, tongue, booster), just been in the habit of running the ZGTPs with them.

Last edited by Andyski; 03-26-2024 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Orb: tlt5 or 6 with dynafit verticals. Solis with ATK core pro 12 with ZGTP

ETA: The solis is definitely good with my beefed up TLT6s (plug wrap liner, tongue, booster), just been in the habit of running the ZGTPs with them.

This tracks - I run ZGTPs but miight move to something less beefy for longers tours but won't lie - I do prefer a beefier boot for steeper terrain.
    Did you install a freeride spacer with the ATK binding for solis or unnecessary?

Just listed Solis in GS if anyone is looking

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
    This tracks - I run ZGTPs but miight move to something less beefy for longers tours but won't lie - I do prefer a beefier boot for steeper terrain.
    Did you install a freeride spacer with the ATK binding for solis or unnecessary?
    I love the spacer. Makes a noticeable difference.