Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Nikolai makes his annual gear video, discussing the Draco a bit

Finally got a legit pow day on the Corvus’s. Had a few 5” days earlier this season. But today had a 9” report with a couple feet on the loaded aspects. Such a fun ski, especially if you know how to ski it. I mentioned in my earlier review, that once I just treat them like a GS race ski, the better they ski. However, in 3D snow you can really whip super quick edged turns, not just using an easy pivot that the rocker design allows. While I think you can ski this ski without it, I think having a competitive skiing background or some other higher level of training lets you really unlock the skis potential. When you really load up the outside ski, they get very energetic despite the full rocker. And going back to my previous comments, I think that’s why this ski has such mixed reviews. I don’t think they are as demanding as Bonafides, but to unleash their potential you need the same skills you need taming the Bones.

Really the only downside I’ve found on this ski is crowded catwalks. They are hard to control with that full rocker when going slow and not able to be on edge. I can straight line them at speed, but not at a crawl. They just want to wander and it strains my aging knees.

You would be surprised at the Corvus' ability to make nice slow speed turns. It's there you just need to find it.

The magic in the Corvus isn’t it’s performance driving the ski like a racer, that’s a great attribute btw, it’s standing on the ski and riding them like you’re on skates. On flatter cat tracks just roll your ankles and ride the edges.

I had a great day this week with 5-6” fresh and some deeper wind drifted areas, soft groomers with an inch or two on top. Just great fun

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rolling your ankles is fine when you have room on the catwalk. I’m talking the shoulder to shoulder mess that you sometimes get into at the end of the day and that would carve you into someone. It’s not as much of an issue for me now that there’s more ways off the lower mountain back to the base area, but it is the one place that these skis aren’t awesome.

And yes, they pivot on a dime and it’s amazing, especially when in a good athletic position. But, I have had many skis that can pivot quickly, but not many that could back it up with its ability to load up an edge and respond the way it does. I had some similar shape Folsom Primary’s that were great in powder, but the tips would fold like a wet noodle in bumps and they had a lackluster bite on anything firm. I held off buying these skis for years, because of the mixed reviews on them. I’m bummed I didn’t buy them earlier, my reviews are trying to help explain why some haven’t found them awesome despite my positive experience. As a former mogul skier, I can say they are amazing skied from that style for immediate pivot. But, they really shine if you also know how to almost drag your hip with high edge angles like I learned from my alpine racing friends. There is just a required faith that if you throw it on edge it will bite, as there a split second longer in the float period in the turn transition before the edges dig in without camber. Once you have that faith, I think they become amazing as that extra float lets you pivot anyway who want to without risking an early edge bite.

I agree, I have about 10 days on mine now primarily on average to poor condition groomers. It responds to a lot of different inputs at different speeds really well. You can load it up at high speed and high edge angles for big high energy arcs, roll your ankles at slow speeds for nice meandering turns, or just ride the flat section and drift sideways over rollers and natural features. So much fun to be had. For the amount it responds to subtle inputs, it's amazing how much how hard you can push it, /vice versa.

Looking forward to some softer conditions this week. I feel like I have the hard snow side pretty figured out at this point, but it bears repeating that this skis does shockingly well on all but the most brutal east coast ice.

Quote Originally Posted by whambat View Post
    Rolling your ankles is fine when you have room on the catwalk. I’m talking the shoulder to shoulder mess that you sometimes get into at the end of the day and that would carve you into someone. It’s not as much of an issue for me now that there’s more ways off the lower mountain back to the base area, but it is the one place that these skis aren’t awesome.

And yes, they pivot on a dime and it’s amazing, especially when in a good athletic position. But, I have had many skis that can pivot quickly, but not many that could back it up with its ability to load up an edge and respond the way it does. I had some similar shape Folsom Primary’s that were great in powder, but the tips would fold like a wet noodle in bumps and they had a lackluster bite on anything firm. I held off buying these skis for years, because of the mixed reviews on them. I’m bummed I didn’t buy them earlier, my reviews are trying to help explain why some haven’t found them awesome despite my positive experience. As a former mogul skier, I can say they are amazing skied from that style for immediate pivot. But, they really shine if you also know how to almost drag your hip with high edge angles like I learned from my alpine racing friends. There is just a required faith that if you throw it on edge it will bite, as there a split second longer in the float period in the turn transition before the edges dig in without camber. Once you have that faith, I think they become amazing as that extra float lets you pivot anyway who want to without risking an early edge bite.
    I guess after a while you just stay on edge always. I’ve got 4 seasons on mine and probably over 200 days on them. I don’t notice any wandering running flat because I probably don’t really ever run flat. The reverse camber is so subtle on my 193s that it doesn’t take much to engage the edges. As to the tips, subjectively they seem pretty stiff hand flexing and on the snow. That’s probably why they handle funky conditions so well.

For sure, the stiff tips crush chop, crud, and funk. Before skiing them, I had a little concern as many skis that have the metal that ends short (and I think the metal is only 120cm long on the Corvus) have a hinge point. I haven’t noticed any of that. On snow, the tips feel slightly less stiff than my Bonafides, but that just may be the extra rocker. I get rather disappointed in tips that fold in the bumps, and I have not been disappointed in the Corvus.
    And MagnificentUnicorn, thanks for your recommendation. It was your similar love of the Invictus that got me to try it. Very similar skis, but the Corvus rocker profile pivots way better and makes it easier to do lazier skiing when the legs are tired or I’m skiing with groms.

I know a few of the mags here tour on the Nocta, what are your thoughts? They do well with a light pin binding setup? Is skinning a chore with the rocker profile or not really?

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    I know a few of the mags here tour on the Nocta, what are your thoughts? They do well with a light pin binding setup? Is skinning a chore with the rocker profile or not really?
    2021 Nocta with ATK freeraider 15s is my touring ski of choice on deep days. Love it. No issues. That being said I dont tour on fully rocked skis outside of full on pow days.

You run the brakes or no? I guess with the FR15s (the Evo I assume), you can't run them brakeless right? Or did you find a way?

Have you skied them in more variable snow conditions? How did they hold up? I know they aren't the stiffest boards, but I just want to make sure it's not a wet noodle either (doesn't appear to be).

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    2021 Nocta with ATK freeraider 15s is my touring ski of choice on deep days. Love it. No issues. That being said I dont tour on fully rocked skis outside of full on pow days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240108_163706.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	482139
    Limited edition Draco in Cham if youre into that sorta thing.

I can see the draco replacing my pink sticks in the future - however I want to change from MTNs before then. Nikolai mentioned it in his video - I need more heel feedback in my boot. Just pressuring the pins feels really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    You run the brakes or no? I guess with the FR15s (the Evo I assume), you can't run them brakeless right? Or did you find a way?

Have you skied them in more variable snow conditions? How did they hold up? I know they aren't the stiffest boards, but I just want to make sure it's not a wet noodle either (doesn't appear to be).
    I run with brakes. I’ve only skied the nocta with tech bindings in deep snow. I also have a pair with cast I use for resort/sidecountry/sled skiing. Those do Great in chop and moguls but not great on groomers. What I like about them is they aren’t noodles. I don’t know how they ski in variable outside of deep pow and resort soft chop.

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Limited edition Draco in Cham if youre into that sorta thing.
    man, it is really pathetic how hyped that ski with that special snow camo graphic makes me. Would def buy at 50% off

One of my favorite skis of all time is my 2016 nocta air’s with MTN’s (no brakes). Fills such a nice spot in the quiver for early season touring and pow touring

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    man, it is really pathetic how hyped that ski with that special snow camo graphic makes me. Would def buy at 50% off
    Oui Oui. Thats a hot topsheet

Length Difference

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Attachment 470721

Joey is a bad bad man…. Or at least influence. Added a 183 to my 188 Corvus club over weekend. Black / pink Strive bindings?
    How did you find find the difference in length? I’m wondering if I should go down to a 188 from my 193’s. I love them, but feeling I may bitten off more than I can chew. 6’1” 190lbs.

Finally settled on the new Nocta and holy f. These things rip. Mounted with ATK FR15s. The last 2 days at the ghee saw a solid 20-24”. Wish I had these last winter for the ~2 weeks of JaPow

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    How did you find find the difference in length? I’m wondering if I should go down to a 188 from my 193’s. I love them, but feeling I may bitten off more than I can chew. 6’1” 190lbs.
    I am 5’11 180. I skied the 183 first then went to the 188. I am a decent skier and I wouldn’t ever think of going to the 193 unless I was only skiing big open faces where I could just freight train everything. I have a 196 bodacious and both my noctas are 190s. My GS ski is a 193. So I definitely don’t mind length. I would think unless you are skiing open faces and absolutely ripping all the time that the 188 will be just as good if not better. Maneuverability is important for me skiing trees and bumps. My Corvus is my DD. I do wish sometimes I still had a 183 in my quiver as well.

I’m 6’ 5” 245-50# and I don’t find the 193 Corvus unwieldy. I’m kind of a beater too. I thought the 188 was incredibly easy.

Bummed to see the Corvus as we know it is gone next year. The new Corvus looks fun, but different. And no Nocta.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Bummed to see the Corvus as we know it is gone next year. The new Corvus looks fun, but different. And no Nocta.
    What changes are being made to the Corvus?

Yeah. Link or spill.
    focus.

If they dumb it down to make it more accessible for more people that will be the straw that breaks the camels back. And if they are discontinuing the nocta. Maybe they will go back to a nocta that’s full reverse. Also the number of noctas they sell ciuld be driving that decision. It’s not a ski that people have to replace very often. I know I won’t have to buy another for a long time. The orb was removed due to the lack of sales and that ski is an expert ripper. They didn’t have enough people buying it. The serpo and Vertis talk to a larger majority. Oh well. They fuck up the Corvus and I guess it’s katana or Cochise time.