excel nerds question - naming large groups of cells

Hello fellow nerds. I have an excel cell naming question. I need to name a massive number of cells (10,000+) with a specific naming convention for use in a separate program. This means the cell name box to the left of the formula bar needs to state the specific cell name. How can this be done with some kind of auto-fill? The Defined Names - Create from Selection names the items within excel

For example:

_____circle | square | triangle
    red | 1 | 2 | 3
    blue | 4 | 5 | 6
    green | 7 | 8 | 9

If I use the create from selection defined names function and select top row and left column, inputting = red circle will return 1, but the cell is still called B2. I need that cell called red_circle.

edit: the specific named cells have to appear in the name manager for this to work for me. This is why the create from selection isn't working as that relies on two ranges to find the cell.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

excel nerds question - naming large groups of cells

I think this VBA should work for what you're trying to do; it works for your simple example above. Note that it is not renaming the header row or labels column because of the conditional.

Sub IterateCells()

For Each Cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells

If Cell.Row > 1 And Cell.Column > 1 Then

Cell.Name = Cells(Cell.Row, 1).Value & "_" & Cells(1, Cell.Column).Value

End If

Next

End Sub
    Last edited by DigSki; 04-08-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Anyone know how to open/decode the EAN/UPC column in Google Sheets? I saw online how to in Excel, but not Sheets. I'm a noob with Excel and worse with Sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Anyone know how to open/decode the EAN/UPC column in Google Sheets? I saw online how to in Excel, but not Sheets. I'm a noob with Excel and worse with Sheets.
    You need the original source file. When something is rounded to scientific notation you lose precision. There’s no unscrambling that omelet.

If you have the original source, change the formatting to text

Right on, thanks. Yeah, this file was emailed to us.

Right on, thanks. Yeah, this file was emailed to us.
    You should be able to edit the format of that column, or the specific cells, to display numbers in a different notation . You have scientific notation for those cells but if you change it the data is likely there.

Yeah, idk. I think a big part of the problem is Excel to Sheets. I tried everything I know to open it. I cannot see the scientific formula used, so I've been cutting-pasting in every format. We have a PC with Excel, so I need to get on that one. This is a brand new part-time job where I'm helping them get their ERP up and going. It's somewhat comical because I'm an idiot with the nuts n bolts, but from a high level I know how it should flow through all the departments. I've been through two in my industry, but had a team of IT people working with us.

Yeah, idk. I think a big part of the problem is Excel to Sheets. I tried everything I know to open it. I cannot see the scientific formula used, so I've been cutting-pasting in every format. We have a PC with Excel, so I need to get on that one. This is a brand new part-time job where I'm helping them get their ERP up and going. It's somewhat comical because I'm an idiot with the nuts n bolts, but from a high level I know how it should flow through all the departments. I've been through two in my industry, but had a team of IT people working with us.
    This gif might help..
    https://support.google.com/docs/answ...ber-formatting

Funny, thank you. I spent some time on that site today.