Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    This will allow all the lazy ass people who can’t get up early to get to the hill when it opens. This would totally change the way the mountain runs, it will go from 0 to shit show in 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

Also schools should start later.
    absolutely - and end later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A11D5A06-8CF8-4889-9B46-70FED7ED3759.jpeg 
Views:	87 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	409668

Get to work people!
    Ending DST would be more profitable, but I think the nation’s Protestant work ethic is what keeps it around.

This reminds me of the argument of whether people from Delaware should be referred to as Delawareans or Delawarites. (Taxi)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Perhaps I just need more of that unicorn light shined?
    I just don’t want ski areas to open at 10 in WA midwinter. I know there isn’t more light but that’s how people parse it when it comes to DST.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Wait, if they have to open the lifts an hour later in the am due to winter dst, wouldn't they just leave them running an hour later in the pm? It'll be light until 530.

What am I missing, other than the resorts actually not doing that and saving one hour of operating costs?
    One would hope so but you know what the bean counters will want

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My local weather dude just said our latest winter sunrise will now be 8:50. Crazy.

I still can't understand why changing the clocks by one hour twice a year is such a major hassle for so many people. Not sure how these people are able to cope when they travel to a different time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I still can't understand why changing the clocks by one hour twice a year is such a major hassle for so many people. Not sure how these people are able to cope when they travel to a different time zone.
    Yeah it’s not a huge deal, especially in this age of internetz where the clocks you refer to adjust automatically.

If the ski resorts go to 10-5 pm hours, fine, but I agree that some or many will got to 4 pm ‘since people need to drive home before dinner’.

Dunno if it’s been discussed already, but psychologically most people adjust their morning routines somewhat based on sunrise whereas their nighttime routine (watching Netflix and going to bed) is gauged by the ‘time’ displayed on clocks.

For example, I and many skiers I know will get up early for a quick skin & pow lap in winter before work but ONLY if it’s at least getting light or actually daylight for the descent (skinning in the dark goes with the territory). Maybe it’s because I’m brainwashed by skiing culture, but it seems that in the winter an extra hour of morning daylight is more valuable than in an afternoon. I’m not going to structure my day around squeezing in a 4 pm bc pow lap on sun affected crust. I assume a golf forum would feel differently. But we are not a fucking golf forum are we?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Permanent Daylight Saving Time

So far people have presented reasons against DST, especially permanent DST, including agriculture, construction, avy ops, basic biology, health and safety, etc, etc.

The proponents of DST present only that it suits their preferred privileged lifestyle and recreation desires. Why can’t everyone else just get on board?

Yup, sounds about right. No wonder our society is fucked.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 03-16-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Just spent 30 min trying to reset the hands on my old G-shock.
    Just set it once - to standard time - and fucking forget it.
    And get off my lawn

I can see why Rubio is behind this Bill. No matter what time of year, southern states see very little difference in daylight hours. It is always dark by 7:00 and light by 6:00. OTOH, northern states see a huge difference in daylight hours depending upon the month.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    AZ stays on ST year round, no DST. States have that option, same with Hawaii.
    Ah.... thanks!

I like what that prof from UW said in an interview yesterday that ST is what we want because it more closely mimics solar time which is what our natural sleep cycle needs.

Prefer light mornings.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

It seems strange after the last two years of disruption to schedules for people to argue there’s some “natural” time for business/work. Many places with retail fronts change their owners seasonally, something like real long hours leading up to Christmas, short hours till spring, longer evening hours in summer. This is solvable. It’s the changing time twice a year that’s shit

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    So far people have presented reasons against DST, especially permanent DST, including agriculture, construction, avy ops, basic biology, health and safety, etc, etc.

The proponents of DST present only that it suits their preferred privileged lifestyle and recreation desires. Why can’t everyone else just get on board?

Yup, sounds about right. No wonder our society is fucked.
    Preferring DST is a symptom of our fucked society, that's really impressive. Bravo.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I like what that prof from UW said in an interview yesterday that ST is what we want because it more closely mimics solar time which is what our natural sleep cycle needs.

Prefer light mornings.
    You've got it backwards. It's standard time that is aligned to solar time, not DST.

Here's one to chew one: China only uses a single time zone. Can you imagine the ramifications of that? It's a pretty big country from east to west.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    It seems strange after the last two years of disruption to schedules for people to argue there’s some “natural” time for business/work. Many places with retail fronts change their owners seasonally, something like real long hours leading up to Christmas, short hours till spring, longer evening hours in summer. This is solvable. It’s the changing time twice a year that’s shit
    The solution was and is switching between standard time and daylight time. Again, why is changing twice a year such a big deal? I really don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Here's one to chew one: China only uses a single time zone. Can you imagine the ramifications of that? It's a pretty big country from east to west.
    officially, yes. But as a practical matter in Urumqi (xinjiang, far western china) there were things signed for a local time zone, and the travel agent made sure to point out my ticket was on Beijing time and helpfully turned that number into local time

Again, it's a big shrug for people who aren't truly ruled by the clock. Most jobsites I've ran try to start within 30 minutes of first light unless there is a local ordinance prohibiting it. Better for traffic, not as hot, people (generally) aren't tired and they have a good chunk of sunlight to do personal stuff at the end of the day. Remote work has further invalidated the concept of time.

And the idea of kids going to school in the dark... up in the Northern states during the darkest of winter they get less than 7 hours of sunlight in the dead of winter. Kids are either going or coming home in the dark. If it's that big of a deal, maybe kids should stay home in the winter and go to school all summer. It's not like we still need a 2.5 month summer vacation so the kids can help with the crops.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Preferring DST is a symptom of our fucked society, that's really impressive. Bravo.
    The setting of wide ranging public policy based on the selfish desires of the privileged few isn’t a symptom of societal failure? What rock have you been hiding under the past few years?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Isn’t shifting business, school, activity hours around just de facto DST but less organized?

If my boss changes my start time from 8am to 9am or 9 am to 8 am doesn’t that have the same detrimental effects on peoples schedule?

The most amazing thing about this is that the Senate unanimously agreed on this somewhat controversial issue.

I’m guessing we will get the change, the northern states will last a winter with the change, then people will want to change back (just like the ‘70s) and we can revisit the whole thing all over again.

You know, this conversation might be more relevant if everyone posted their normal work hours with their opinion.

Office working hours: 7:30am--5ish pm
    Jobsite working hours: 6:30am-~4:30pm (as early as 5:30am during summer if we're allowed to start early)

Preference: Just stop changing time around. During the winter I leave home in the dark and return home in the dark. It doesn't fucking matter.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

My work hours (office) are 6:30-4:00 and I prefer the status quo. I'd pick DST if forced to choose one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    The setting of wide ranging public policy based on the selfish desires of the privileged few isn’t a symptom of societal failure? What rock have you been hiding under the past few years?
    Again, bravo.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy