Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Your utah skis wont work here.

It only snows a lot mid mountain on up. Below that it mostly rains a lot.

the taqueria situation is much better in bellingham, in large part because of its proximity to the skagit valley.

Does your GF like the sun? Hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Does your GF like the sun? Hope not.

she's from san diego

in fairness, she's only ever lived there, slc and denver. I think the dark winters would come as a shock.

I'm in B'ham. Right in town.

Yeah, it only snows at this elevation for a week or two per winter. Otherwise, it's pretty much constant overcast/rain. And you will ski in the rain.

Taco truck game is pretty good. Most sit down Mexican is bland garbage - with the exception of Mi Rancho, which is authentic. As for the other restaurants, they're a mixed bag. Lots of good breakfasts. Fewer good lunches. Most dinners are college town level. Food truck scene is IMO better than brick and mortar.

We don't have Seattle amenities, but it's better than most of the smaller towns on the WA coast. Seattle is close on a map, but go at the wrong time and the traffic is complete gridlock.

Getting to BC is a piece of cake (if you get Nexus), but Vancouver traffic can be a shit show as well.

Sticker shock is real. Housing is beyond expensive, and IMO isn't going to cool off much (if any). Getting out of town helps, but the quality varies.

As for places not to live: Kendall/Peaceful Valley (unless you want to supplement your income by cooking meth and stealing anything that isn't chained up). Also, "the county" as it's known, has its own share of religious kooks & Let's Go Brandons.

It’s also dark in spring and fall a lot of the time. Bellingham is great if you want to ski 20-50 days a season, mt baker is an excellent resort and the backcountry is the best in the continental us. It’s just a long drive to get there. If you want to live in wa and ski more days consider the i90 corridor east of Seattle (issaquah, north bend, snoqualmie). Snoq has a great uphill policy, fantastic backcountry terrain, fun and steep inbounds runs, and the resort is open at night. The mtb trails at Tiger and raging are almost as good as what’s available in bellingham.

Most surfing is on the pacific coast, Olympic peninsula or bc, so yeah it’s a pretty long drive. Kite surfing is popular on the sound, much easier access.

^^^ Lotta truth to that

Forgot... if you're WFH, the internet is hit or miss once you start driving up 542.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    she's from san diego

in fairness, she's only ever lived there, slc and denver. I think the dark winters would come as a shock.
    Don’t underestimate this (my wife is from AZ so I can relate). I think northeasterners do better in the climate here than most other transplants because they’re used to the drear.

This area had a rough June here and it broke 2 families I know in the area that just moved out of town (after being here maybe 4-5 years).

Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone

My gf and I broke up over the grey (well at least partially). She's from TX and couldn't take it. Moved to San Diego. I'm from Michigan and it doesn't bother me all that much.

I feel like there is no shortage of mid aged millennials moving from Seattle to Bellingham so they can load up the sprinter with 3 spoiled shitmakers every Saturday and drive 7 miles to the Galbraith parking lot as a penitence for ignoring said spawn later that night while pretending to enjoy an overhopped IPA on some very hip brewery’s patio.

Where do they all fit in between the college kids, religious zealots, and breaking bad re-enactments?

Sucks they missed the Bend migration 5 years ago

I'm sure some of them like overhopped IPA.

You really nailed it with the ignoring their kids. Half the patios are like crowd-sourced daycare.

Though the top half of the boomers are still driving the market here. Semi-or-recently retired, all cash.

What's the lowdown on the PNW?

Moving from SLC to PDX was a rude awakening come wintertime. Going to see my tenth winter here soon and I’m still not used to it. Seattle winters are worse than down here for the gray. So yeah, be ready for it. I would plan on getting somewhere sunny two or three times a winter at minimum.

Also all my ski gear was useless. My skis were to fat, my jackets were too insulated and not waterproof enough and you’ll never need your sunny lenses. The best snow day here is a mediocre day in LCC.

But if you embrace it, then you can do ok. BC stability is much better as well.
    Last edited by Supermoon; 08-24-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    (if you get Nexus)
    Ya got 2 years?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Shit, is that what it takes now? Fuckin covid...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    my jackets weren’t insulated enough.
    I ski in a shell with a light baselayer and lightweight vest most days and I'm sweating. You sure you're skiing maritime snow?

The pNW isn’t the place to be is really showing up

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I ski in a shell with a light baselayer and lightweight vest most days and I'm sweating. You sure you're skiing maritime snow?
    Yeah, sorry. Meant too insulated and not waterproof enough. Fingers not as fast as brain hole

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The pNW isn’t the place to be is really showing up
    Tell your friends

Light wool shirt and a shell. Maybe a grid fleece on colder days.

And this can't be overstated: you need 20k pants

Tell your friends
    Have you setup a festival to worship the abandoned nuclear plant to burn effigies of the sst and celebrate the pnw that was?

Pretty sure the cooling tower was blown up more than 10 years ago now. Too bad, it would have been a good place for a bonfire.

Satsop is still there. It's a Dunder-Mifflin now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Satsop is still there. It's a Dunder-Mifflin now.
    Duh. Forgot about that.

There's a cool acoustic testing lab there. http://nwaalabs.ipower.com/mach_testing.html

Isn't it nearly impossible to become a new pass holder at Baker now? Sold out in minutes? Maybe they should put that in the real estate guide.

Yeah, 20ish minutes IIRC. This year, they're restricting pass sales to last season pass holders for the entire month of Sept. "Open" sales will be on Oct 1 (if they haven't already reached the cap).