Page 8 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2021/1...-solitude-ski/
    "I am here to put the stake in the ground,” she said. “We’re owned by Alterra, we are Ikon. Solitude is Ikon. There is no other."

I miss the D's
    Yeah, what a great look as your first public interview as president...

FWIW, Crystal is also Alterra owned and they are not unlimited on base pass anymore (they used to be). I talked to someone from Alterra via email and they said that decision was made mostly based on community feedback. I don't know how to organize this, but I think we could get pretty substantial support to push Solitude away from unlimited on the base pass.

I do think that could make a difference in crowds. While we blame crowding on travelers, I don't know if I buy that. If you're traveling to SLC would you really choose to ski Solitude over Alta / Snowbird if they're all free? Probably not... I think the crowds we see are mostly local Jerry and Jerrylina capitalizing on insanely cheap unlimited skiing. If Solitude is no longer unlimited on base then local Jerry and Jerrylina will have a much harder decision to make regarding where to get unlimited skiing. I think base was ~1/2 price of Alta / Bird / Brighton; if base doesn't get them unlimited at the 'tude then they're looking at ~3/4 price and I bet a lot of them dump the 'tude and go elsewhere. Reason being - I have to imagine Solitude sucks pretty hard for a Jerry - it's a complicated mountain without much intermediate terrain, and some serious gnar that you can kind of stumble into (Milk, Headwall, Eagle gate).

And actually, I bet the math would still work in Alterra/Solitude's favor money wise. Sure you'd lose some people, but you'd also get a large chunk of people upgrading to a full pass instead of base (and those people are probably spending 70%+ of days at Solitude)

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i was considering going back to work there this season
    but no its not what i wanted to hear
    and i ski there free reguardless
    good luck w/ staffing this season
    the moneies all about the same
    and there are a multitude of "others" right now
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Like everywhere else in the Wasatch this is a weekend/holiday problem. Last year, I skied there 1-=15X and never encountered a problem with crowds or parking.

The ski industry is changing. Weekend skiing sucks. Always has and always will. Luckily, work schedules can be flexible (especially with the current job demand market). Ski during the week. There is not too much to complain about.
    I don't see IKON pass holders coming to UT to ski Solitude. Rather, people come to use up their 5-7 days in LCC, and maybe ski Solitude 2 or 3 days. It's all good. Let's just hope that the 2022 big dumps will occur on Mon.-Thurs, rather than always Fri or Sat. I'm stoked!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Like everywhere else in the Wasatch this is a weekend/holiday problem. Last year, I skied there 1-=15X and never encountered a problem with crowds or parking.

The ski industry is changing. Weekend skiing sucks. Always has and always will. Luckily, work schedules can be flexible (especially with the current job demand market). Ski during the week. There is not too much to complain about.
    I don't see IKON pass holders coming to UT to ski Solitude. Rather, people come to use up their 5-7 days in LCC, and maybe ski Solitude 2 or 3 days. It's all good. Let's just hope that the 2022 big dumps will occur on Mon.-Thurs, rather than always Fri or Sat. I'm stoked!
    No doubt. In retro, I'm selfishly happy storms came on weekends last year. With everyone working from home, more people would have gotten a taste of mid-week pow. I think the only mid-week storm was the one that shut down LCC, and that was a gong show, so no damage done.

Have others received their Alta parking code? I haven't received a code, but I haven't picked up my pass yet (first year). Could that be the issue?

If solitude wants more $$ it should offer an uphill pass that allows access at all hours. Designate skintracks on the E side of solbright/Sunrise and up the shoulder of Eagle Ridge. Once skiers reach the Eagle cattrack, allow them to skin all the way up to Solitude Peak. Very low impact, very safe.

I'd pay for that access. Better if free, and might still generate $$ through concessions and parking, but I'd be fine paying. Alta could do the exact same for GG imo.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Have others received their Alta parking code? I haven't received a code, but I haven't picked up my pass yet (first year). Could that be the issue?
    i think they go out tomorrow.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    If solitude wants more $$ it should offer an uphill pass that allows access at all hours. Designate skintracks on the E side of solbright/Sunrise and up the shoulder of Eagle Ridge. Once skiers reach the Eagle cattrack, allow them to skin all the way up to Solitude Peak. Very low impact, very safe.

I'd pay for that access. Better if free, and might still generate $$ through concessions and parking, but I'd be fine paying. Alta could do the exact same for GG imo.
    yeah totally safe
    theres no avvy terrain off eagle ridge what so ever and sending the vertigo cliffs on rando comando sissy sticks all hours of the day and nights
    couldnt possibly lead to any problems
    put that in the aint gonna happen file
    shit they cant even do what b right on asks of them
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    yeah totally safe
    theres no avvy terrain off eagle ridge what so ever and sending the vertigo cliffs on rando comando sissy sticks all hours of the day and nights
    couldnt possibly lead to any problems
    put that in the aint gonna happen file
    shit they cant even do what b right on asks of them
    Pretty much. I'm not even sure what Solitude Peak is...is it the top of the ridge above PH shack? Regardless, I agree, eagle ridge has some serious terrain off of it. And SolBright is closed almost every storm day, often day after too.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i was considering going back to work there this season
    but no its not what i wanted to hear
    and i ski there free reguardless
    good luck w/ staffing this season
    the moneies all about the same
    and there are a multitude of "others" right now
    A group of us met her a month ago and she is definitely aggressive and came off as a total bitch. At the same time the increase in operating hours by one hour this season is her idea. Apparently she has big plans to change a lot of things at Soli. I know I'd absolutely hate working for her. Let's see if she does good things. The hour increase was a good idea but she sounds scary at the same time.

I just loved that she's never even skied a day in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    I just loved that she's never even skied a day in Utah
    Well that is a thoroughly demoralizing intro, but I think that was the point. What else are local passholders going to do - switch to the other canyon with even worse traffic?

I wonder what the interview process was like - 'Tell us an example from your work history when you got blood from a stone? Are you comfortable with prioritizing PE profits over all else while being the public face of the inevitable backlash?'

& the concept of trying to pat themselves on the back by increasing wages to 'double the state minimum wage' is laughable - if they didnt increase wages they wouldnt have anyone show up at all. Same with the greenwashing on their environmental focus - if that were actually true they would be doing something with their parking cash grab instead of just pocketing it

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    What else are local passholders going to do - switch to the other canyon with even worse traffic?
    With that pedestrian signal at Cardiff now it's pretty debatable whether BCC traffic is any better than LCC traffic.

It’s still loads better than LCC.
    Going up LCC even in the summer is a chore anymore.

PSA

There are some used 193 Salomon Blanks with red 16? Din salomon bindings on them at Level 9 on 3300s. no price tag. Skifishbum was working today, maybe he can answer questions about them. I can't answer any more than what I wrote.

There was a second pair with demo bindings - I don't know what size - I didn't look. Also no price tag.

Did anyone receive the parking code email from Alta?
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

nope but I saw this gem:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8am bull.JPG 
Views:	690 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	391318

Called the number on the website. Codes are going out at 5am tomorrow. 2 codes per pass.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    Called the number on the website. Codes are going out at 5am tomorrow. 2 codes per pass.
    So probably 4 for family pass?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sounds like a nightmare? Having to remember which code you used which day to book your next reservation?

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Name:  Exponential-Function-Example-1.png
Views: 576
Size:  4.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    So probably 4 for family pass?

Besides two season passes I also have two 10 cards cards for guest's, they come with parking privileges also.

And no code emails!
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

And just like that the first few weekends in December are gone. Thank God my 10 year old is in AYC and I am guaranteed a spot every Sunday. What a shit show this is gonna be.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    And just like that the first few weekends in December are gone. Thank God my 10 year old is in AYC and I am guaranteed a spot every Sunday. What a shit show this is gonna be.
    That’s not what I saw. To me it looks like 12/18 is the first day they are even doing reserved parking