Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 89 90 91 92 93 94
Results 2,326 to 2,333 of 2333
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Interested to hear answers on this as well. What’s your definition of kid friendly?
    And also do you need a developed campground, or is dispersed camping fine?

Darrington has dispersed camp sites, and the skills park at the bottom for the kiddo. Teanaway and stuff on the eastside of the crest has campgrounds interspersed throughout the trail systems (just zoom into the trail system on trailforks and look for the campground icon).

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Where in the greater PNW area have you found decent camping very close (pedaling distance) to decent mtb trails, including easier, kid friendly ones? Actually I’m curious to hear of spots outside the PNW as well. In my limited experience, most of the good trails systems with both short and long loops do not tend to have camping very close.
    In OR it’s really, really hard to beat Phil’s in Bend. Mostly flat and easy trails right from camp, large kid friendly pump track, lots of dispersed camping, fun town and better grown up trails a short drive away, plus lakes creeks and waterfalls.

TransCascadia Excursions has been working on getting approval for a developed campground on their property in Westfir OR, which is across the street from a small pumptrack, playground, picnic area and bottom of the North Fork and Alpine trails - and would be a holy grail for family camping where parents can shuttle and take turns entertaining the little(s). If that ever happens of course. Nearby one can also camp along Salmon Creek which has a kid friendly trail and is near the bottom of Dead Mountain Trail, though the dispersed areas would be sharing the camp sites with meth addicts, it’s just really unfortunate how trashy dispersed camping near Oakridge has become.

Coos County is supposedly working on a CG at Whiskey Run, that would be awesome.

There are multiple developed CGs along the MRT and NUT trails in Oregon. Waterfalls along each and flatter segments lower down the river that kids can ride. Not super kid friendly, but perhaps enough to meet the bare minimum?

I’d love to take the fam to Darrington some time.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Winthrop and McCall both have decent trail options and camping in relative proximity.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

"Waterfalls along each and flatter segments lower down the river that kids can ride. Not super kid friendly, but perhaps enough to meet the bare minimum"

Buck Creek CG/Ranger airstrip falls in that category too. Tons of space for kids to ride, and many parts of the Skookum Flats trail are kid rideable, but it also has some sections that are less friendly. Trail options galore for the adults.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    This was my immediate thought.

Anxiously awaiting to get my lil dude on the back of our e-cargo bike in a Thule seat. But pediatrician says at least 2-3 more months.
    As an avid shotgun seat user, def 2.5 years. The Yepp Mini works well for younger kids , but even then they need the neck strength to support their heads .

The shotgun was the best though as they get a little older. My daughter and I had so many fun rides on it. I have one for sale now I guess since.shes unfortunately aged out of it

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Interested to hear answers on this as well. What’s your definition of kid friendly?
    Larabee was perfect for a toddler who napped since the nap and a double down lap took the same time.
    I’m guessing you were in an RV to be shielded from the occasional train noise, right? I love that area but have always been a little afraid to camp due to the train.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    And also do you need a developed campground, or is dispersed camping fine?

Darrington has dispersed camp sites, and the skills park at the bottom for the kiddo. Teanaway and stuff on the eastside of the crest has campgrounds interspersed throughout the trail systems (just zoom into the trail system on trailforks and look for the campground icon).
    I’d never considered Darrington so thanks for the idea. Teanaway crossed my mind and I will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    In OR it’s really, really hard to beat Phil’s in Bend. Mostly flat and easy trails right from camp, large kid friendly pump track, lots of dispersed camping, fun town and better grown up trails a short drive away, plus lakes creeks and waterfalls.

TransCascadia Excursions has been working on getting approval for a developed campground on their property in Westfir OR, which is across the street from a small pumptrack, playground, picnic area and bottom of the North Fork and Alpine trails - and would be a holy grail for family camping where parents can shuttle and take turns entertaining the little(s). If that ever happens of course. Nearby one can also camp along Salmon Creek which has a kid friendly trail and is near the bottom of Dead Mountain Trail, though the dispersed areas would be sharing the camp sites with meth addicts, it’s just really unfortunate how trashy dispersed camping near Oakridge has become.

Coos County is supposedly working on a CG at Whiskey Run, that would be awesome.

There are multiple developed CGs along the MRT and NUT trails in Oregon. Waterfalls along each and flatter segments lower down the river that kids can ride. Not super kid friendly, but perhaps enough to meet the bare minimum?

I’d love to take the fam to Darrington some time.
    This might be a dumb question but is good dispersed camping easy to find around Phil’s? The whole Bend area is so busy now that I never really considered dispersed camping. We stayed a couple nights at Tumalo State Park last May and it was kind of noisy and not super great. Just OK. I’ve camped a few times at Salmon Creek - nice place. Agreed that a Westfir campground would be the holy grail!

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    "Waterfalls along each and flatter segments lower down the river that kids can ride. Not super kid friendly, but perhaps enough to meet the bare minimum"

Buck Creek CG/Ranger airstrip falls in that category too. Tons of space for kids to ride, and many parts of the Skookum Flats trail are kid rideable, but it also has some sections that are less friendly. Trail options galore for the adults.
    I’ve ridden by there many times but will consider camping too. Thanks!

We camped at larabee in a trailer and the trains were not too bad. Ranger creek can get rowdy, we often go to the horse camp area instead of the airstrip for a smaller crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    This might be a dumb question but is good dispersed camping easy to find around Phil’s? The whole Bend area is so busy now that I never really considered dispersed camping. We stayed a couple nights at Tumalo State Park last May and it was kind of noisy and not super great. Just OK.
    Midweek, it is pretty easy, look at FS maps and satellite imagery and there are a decent number of camp spots near the Marvins Gardens trail. Weekends you may not get a primo spot, especially if needing to fit 2 vehicles is a requirement - maybe you end up too close to a site with folks drinking until the wee hours - or worst case end up camping in the Phils overflow lot which is a giant open level field where lots of people camp. Unlike Tumalo this is not close to a major highway, so the only noise is from rowdy groups.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell