Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Lots of good advice here. I tour a lot more than I ski inbounds and keep moving towards more comfortable fit. Too big def causes it's own issues, but you need room for your feet to swell on big days (about >6k vert or so for me). That's when I notice foot issues.

Currently using the Transalp boots and have found the ankle fit to be too tight. It gives me pressure points on medial malleolus. I've been working with a fitter who prescribed varus wedges and did a few punches but probably still need more space.

I'm gonna find out soon since we now have a shitload of pow that I have to go ski

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I've skimmed the thread but I'm looking for some general advice about finding a boot in this category that will actually work with my foot. I have a high arch but to complicate matters it's also farther forward than normal. This makes finding a boot that doesn't cut off circulation in my toes tough. GregL fit me in a Hawx Prime XTD a couple years back. It's the best fitting boot that I've ever had. Literally every ski boot that I've owned before that had me unbuckling my boot at the bottom of each run and usually taking the boot off midday to let my toes regain circulation.

I'm interested in something for longer alpine days and volcano skiing, so I need it to still ski reasonably well but be lighter and have better range of motion than the Hawx.

Any advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I've skimmed the thread but I'm looking for some general advice about finding a boot in this category that will actually work with my foot. I have a high arch but to complicate matters it's also farther forward than normal. This makes finding a boot that doesn't cut off circulation in my toes tough. GregL fit me in a Hawx Prime XTD a couple years back. It's the best fitting boot that I've ever had. Literally every ski boot that I've owned before that had me unbuckling my boot at the bottom of each run and usually taking the boot off midday to let my toes regain circulation.

I'm interested in something for longer alpine days and volcano skiing, so I need it to still ski reasonably well but be lighter and have better range of motion than the Hawx.

Any advice appreciated.
    I haven't tried it, but according to Blister, the Backland XTD 120 is the same last as the Hawx Prime XTD. So probably start there?

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post

Any advice appreciated.

I have a really small ankle, high arch, normal forefoot. The backland XTD is the best I've found, really good walk mode, good skiing, little heavier than others that are more uphill oriented but I think the walk mode makes up for it. It has a really thick liner that can help with some fit issues. High arch will be tight to begin with but likely workable long term. Downside to thick liner is I find them more awkward walking uphill. Now that they're packed out I'm having to add some material around my ankle to make it all work.

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    I have a really small ankle, high arch, normal forefoot. The backland XTD is the best I've found, really good walk mode, good skiing, little heavier than others that are more uphill oriented but I think the walk mode makes up for it. It has a really thick liner that can help with some fit issues. High arch will be tight to begin with but likely workable long term. Downside to thick liner is I find them more awkward walking uphill. Now that they're packed out I'm having to add some material around my ankle to make it all work.
    Cmor, sounds like we have similar feet. My forefoot is fairly normal width but I always need to pad the heels to keep my narrow heel from sliding around.

The Atomic Backland XTD 120 is very interesting but it's only about a 200g savings per boot. Maybe the improved range of motion in tour mode will make up for it but it's hard to justify that much $$ unless the benefits are significant.

~1300g boot thread

maybe worth trying it on as i think the increase in ROM can make it worth it even if its only 200g lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by ktoor; 03-18-2024 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ktoor View Post
    maybe worth trying it on as i think the increase in ROM can make it worth it even if its only 200g lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's what I decided going from a Hawx Ultra XTD to a Transalp Pro Carbon

Alright, can somebody compare the last fit of a Backland XTD to a Transalp Pro? I've had a chance to put an XTD on my hooves but not the Transalp. Very interested in these two boots and also the Ridge and Skorp II

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Alright, can somebody compare the last fit of a Backland XTD to a Transalp Pro? I've had a chance to put an XTD on my hooves but not the Transalp. Very interested in these two boots and also the Ridge and Skorp II
    Can't compare Backland to Transalp but can (sort of) to Ridge. Only carpet-tested the Ridge, never A/Bed them against one another at the same time.

Went with a 26.5 Backland XTD vs. 27 Ridge. I think, BSL-wise, it's a 10mm external difference (or roughly there about) but internally felt similar.

Length - Felt pretty similar, I don't think I noticed a substantial difference but I never had them on next to one another.

Forefoot Width - felt pretty similar as well with the XTD being slightly wider at the very front

Instep Height - XTD's lack of a firm tongue made it much easier to work for a high instep. I felt the Ridge was extremely low at the very front of the boot (metacarpal area) despite the floating tongue which was the dealbreaker for me. The tongue DEFINITELY works for the traditional navicular/cuneiform height issues that many people have. I didn't think I'd ever get to a point with the Ridge to where it felt like I could spend all day in the boot with no issues so I sold them based off this.

Ankle - The XTD is WIDE here, even with the plush liner. The Ridge definitely felt narrower in this regard.

Flex - Ridge definitely felt more substantial with a more linear flex feeling than the XTD.

ROM - Again, only carpet test but felt pretty similar. Did enjoy the ease of the Hoji-lock system.

If the Ridge had fit my foot, it would have been an easy choice between the two IMO. Unfortunately it didn't.

I'll likely grab an MV or HV intuition to take up some of that ankle space after the stock is toast.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Just a quick update on my search for a "proper" fitting touring boot. After trying on a bunch of different boots in this category, I ended up finding that my foot got along really nicely with the Salomon S/Lab MTN Summit. It's not the most "low volume" boot, but I think the large forefoot allowed me to size down (to a 28, same size as my almost-race-fit Redster c/s) and get really good ankle and heel hold--better than my size 29 Hawx Ultra xtd, and way better than a similar-fitting 0G Peak and F1LT that I tried on. I also found that the "touring belt" is not a gimmick and really does lock my foot in nicely. I may still need a toe punch, but I did a short tour today (two 900-foot laps) and it felt great on the up and down. (I could not find a shop to try the Skorpius, but the MTN Summit felt so good that I was happy to take it on the spot.)

Anyway, thought I'd mention this because this boot sorta feels like it flies under the radar a bit, and it might be worth looking at for people who are searching for a locked-in fit.

Just wanted to say that the backland XTDs really are great. Can drive the ultra stiff HL C90s no problem. Fit is intentionally comfortable, wouldn't want them any other way right now.

Did an instep ladder strap swap, works really sweet for locking the heel. More pressure on the navicular bone, but nothing uncomfortable.

Will at some point get GFTs for them, but after ten days, the stock liners are holding up pretty well.

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Just wanted to say that the backland XTDs really are great. Can drive the ultra stiff HL C90s no problem. Fit is intentionally comfortable, wouldn't want them any other way right now.

Did an instep ladder strap swap, works really sweet for locking the heel. More pressure on the navicular bone, but nothing uncomfortable.

Will at some point get GFTs for them, but after ten days, the stock liners are holding up pretty well.

So you switched the left and right straps over the instep?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    So you switched the left and right straps over the instep?
    Correct!

ONK discouraged me from drilling holes further back, but I did want the pressure more rearward.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Correct!

ONK discouraged me from drilling holes further back, but I did want the pressure more rearward.

Interesting. Yeah I feel it pushes more onto the top of my foot vs pulling me back.

May try this.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Interesting. Yeah I feel it pushes more onto the top of my foot vs pulling me back.

May try this.
    At least it's a harmless procedure, so if it doesn't work for you, can always reverse it.

~1300g boot thread

I’ve been skiing the ZGTP for the past four seasons and generally love them for free ride touring, but wish they had better ROM. Last season I got the Scarpa F1 XT as a mountaineering boot, and it has become my primary touring boot. The two boot quiver is fine but I keep wondering if there is something that would split the difference? I’m less concerned about weight than I am ROM and would like to get as close to the F1 XT in terms of ROM as possible.

My feet are medium width with a higher than average instep.

What should I be looking at? skorpius? New maestrale? Backland XTD?

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    I’ve been skiing the ZGTP for the past four seasons and generally love them for free ride touring, but wish they had better ROM. Last season I got the Scarpa F1 XT as a mountaineering boot, and it has become my primary touring boot. The two boot quiver is fine but I keep wondering if there is something that would split the difference? I’m less concerned about weight than I am ROM and would like to get as close to the F1 XT in terms of ROM as possible.

Ah yes the Goldilocks boot. You’re on the right track, also checkout the new Dynafit Ridge Pro. I just got a pair and I’m very impressed on the carpet. 1410g with an Intuition Tour Wrap and custom insoles in 27.5

The Fischer Transalp Tour is pretty close in ROM to the F1 GT that I recently started using. I'm not sure it's worse, but I do certainly feel the weight difference and forward lean difference (Transalp is less upright/more aggressive). I still have some fit issues I'm working out with the Transalp, but the ski ability of the boot is quite good. The flex is maybe a little less stiff overall than the GT, at least in the beginning of the flex, but the boot overall is more supportive and feels closer to an alpine boot.

Can't compare those other models.

I’ve been skiing the ZGTP for the past four seasons and generally love them for free ride touring, but wish they had better ROM.

New ZGTP has additional ROM. +5 degrees. Not sure how that compares to the F1 XT, but LeeLau said it was a noticeable improvement.

So what new boots in this category are coming out next season? Dynafit Ridge (out in limited sizes now), revised Tecnica Zero G, Head Crux... Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    New ZGTP has additional ROM. +5 degrees. Not sure how that compares to the F1 XT, but LeeLau said it was a noticeable improvement.
    Hmm, this is good news. The irony of the question is many of the more touring oriented boots (transalp, backland xtd) actually appear to weigh more than my ZGTPs, or about the same.

The Backland XTD may be a top
    choice as I can get it from Evo to try on. Can anyone comment how the XTD compares to the ZGTP for skiing and climbing? Does it have major gains for climbing? Give up much for skiing?

I posted quite a bit more in the Backland XTD thread. It's substantially worse skiing than new ZGTP.

New ZGTP is not as good as Backland XTD touring but not by much.

Thanks for all this info. Seems like new ZGTP might be the ticket. Or I just run the current quiver through next season and see what comes along.

You should know that the zero g has a very thin liner, which will get uncomfortable very quickly

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

2025 ZGPT vs Maestrale/RS - any comparisons?