Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’ll sum up my feel for them-
    I have a wide forefoot with nerve damage(sensitive), sorta low instep and low volume heel. I was coming from a decade or so in TLT 5/6.
    It’s the first boot I’ve had that didn’t require any shell work; i did put in a Tour Wrap, the stock liner didn’t work well for me.
    Uphill- good ROM, easy transitions, and so far pretty durable (2 seasons).
    Downhill- much better than TLT, no gaiters or boa to fiddle with or fail, nice rocker sole for walking.
    I have two pairs, probably 5-6 years worth!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Cheers! Those are transalps? Oh wait, just noticed you wrote no gaiters.

Sent fra min LE2123 via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Fuuck. What am I missing out on, except for 200g/foot with choosing the transalp over the Skorpius? Can get either for the same price. Backlands are buckets to me, Travers CS felt OK.

Stiffer?
    Lower volume?

Fwiw, Lupos are too high volume over the instep. In the alpine boot world, Dobermanns are a smidge too low, Raptors are perfect. My feet are 274/278mm, Alpine boots are 26.5, but would go 27.5 for touring.

Thanks for any input!

Of course, if both Transalps and Skorpius scream "wrong boot", please make your suggestions known.
    For me the big appeal of the skorpius is that it walks as well/better than some 1 kg boots out there, but is plenty of boot to handle bigger and heavier skis (I use them with bg tours and HL C132 mostly). That high ROM makes a way bigger difference than weight, for me anyways.

Fit wise I think it would be pretty different from a transalp, although I haven't tried one on. If it's anything like the Travers, then the heel is huge compared to the skorpius. I couldn't get my foot to stay in that boot, I could almost take it off while buckled. Skorpius heel is way tighter and instep us way lower, which also helps with heel hold.

I have wide feet with a bunion situation and a "high end of average" instep, which isn't an ideal foot shape for the skorpius but I got some on gear swap that had already been punched a ton for width. I just don't bother doing up the spider buckle at all and the instep is OK. I'd probably be a good candidate for the updated version with the higher instep but I don't want to go through the whole fitting process again. And I'm not sure how I feel about the boa.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about the new dynafit ridge pro?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz_jFFVC...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Ineresting. Horrible color scheme reminiscent of the old Zzeus, not that that matters much.. Interesting buckle/boa/Velcro combo and placement but I actually like it. for me the Boa on the Skorpius doesn't do anything, and the lack of something pulling my ankle back into the ankle pocket is a big problem for a lot of boots in this category so this looks appealing.

Looks like there's a redesigned Zero G

https://www.ispo.com/en/awards-ispo-...6147-t-1026144
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    For me the big appeal of the skorpius is that it walks as well/better than some 1 kg boots out there, but is plenty of boot to handle bigger and heavier skis (I use them with bg tours and HL C132 mostly). That high ROM makes a way bigger difference than weight, for me anyways.

Fit wise I think it would be pretty different from a transalp, although I haven't tried one on. If it's anything like the Travers, then the heel is huge compared to the skorpius. I couldn't get my foot to stay in that boot, I could almost take it off while buckled. Skorpius heel is way tighter and instep us way lower, which also helps with heel hold.

I have wide feet with a bunion situation and a "high end of average" instep, which isn't an ideal foot shape for the skorpius but I got some on gear swap that had already been punched a ton for width. I just don't bother doing up the spider buckle at all and the instep is OK. I'd probably be a good candidate for the updated version with the higher instep but I don't want to go through the whole fitting process again. And I'm not sure how I feel about the boa.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks! Well, I'll get the Transalps to try in a few days, and if they don't fit, easy returns. Seems no Norwegian outlets stock the Skorpius CR2, so an order would have to be from the EU with all the customs crap that means, and not so easy returns.

I probably won't use mine for anything fatter than the BC90s, but I'm not writing off touring the c132s either.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Ineresting. Horrible color scheme reminiscent of the old Zzeus, not that that matters much.. Interesting buckle/boa/Velcro combo and placement but I actually like it. for me the Boa on the Skorpius doesn't do anything, and the lack of something pulling my ankle back into the ankle pocket is a big problem for a lot of boots in this category so this looks appealing.
    I havent tried a boot with boa. A lot.of people dislike boa and yet more and more boots are specced with it. I wonder if boa has improved any?
    Hooefully we see a thread devdlop on mods to a boa or people that have swapped out the boa for a traditional buckle on different boots. The scarpa type ratchet buckld on my hoji is place well and is ez to adjust. I cant see if weighing much more than boa

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Looks like there's a redesigned Zero G

https://www.ispo.com/en/awards-ispo-...6147-t-1026144
    The guys on The-High-Route podcast heard rumors that the new zero G will have a roomier last.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    The guys on The-High-Route podcast heard rumors that the new zero G will have a roomier last.

Fuck

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I liked the Zzeus and this look.
    Nice to see a Hoji lock on a lighter boot.
    Younger construction looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I liked the Zzeus and this look.
    Nice to see a Hoji lock on a lighter boot.
    Younger construction looks interesting.
    Looks like it’s the new Hoji boot which is encouraging. I don’t actually care what it looks like if it tours well, is stiff, and has a reasonably low volume fit

Anyone have the GFT liner in a 1100-1300g boot?

(Sorry about all the questions, I've come to the siden and brutal realization that I really need real touring boots!)

Looks like it’s the new Hoji boot which is encouraging. I don’t actually care what it looks like if it tours well, is stiff, and has a reasonably low volume fit
    Same, I'm wondering if it's worth waiting till Feb. before getting new touring boots now...
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Question for you Skorpius CRII users...where you attaching your leashes? I've got shorties currently and only spot is on the BOA which seems like a bad fucking idea.

Anyone have the GFT liner in a 1100-1300g boot?

(Sorry about all the questions, I've come to the siden and brutal realization that I really need real touring boots!)

I have tried out the GFT in ZG Peaks, Alien RS, Backland XTD, ZGTP. Putting on the liner before stepping into the shell can be tricky and put a ton of wear and tear on the gaiter of some of these, the Backland XTD seems a bit better in this regard as the gaiter is a bit "looser". They certainly improve the skiing, especially on the 1300g end of the spectrum where the boots are stiff enough, but lack the suspension and liveliness of an alpine boot. They also helped in the lighter boots, but with all the added weight, I'm not sure the tradeoffs make sense to me.

Speaking of the XTD, it doesnt seem to be getting much play in this thread yet, but I just had my first day out in a set. They walk 95% as well as a ZG Peak, and are notably more stiff in ski mode. The fit is also not as cavernous as I had worried it may be. I've been skiing too many light, High ROM boots lately - its hard to go back to the walk mode of the ZGTP.. In that regard, the XTD feels like a good compromise for me.

Dynafit Ridge Info -

101 mm last
    120 flex

This thing says available September 2024 but the instagram post says February.

https://www.ispo.com/en/promotion/is...ridge-pro-boot

~1300g boot thread

Looking on the ISPO press release looks like a buckle retrofit on the lower would be imminently feasible https://www.ispo.com/en/promotion/is...ridge-pro-boot

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    Looking on the ISPO press release looks like a buckle retrofit on the lower would be imminently feasible https://www.ispo.com/en/promotion/is...ridge-pro-boot
    possibly, but with that buckle just above the ankle I don't think it would be as necessary. I think thats in a pretty good spot to pull my foot back into the ankle pocket, rather than so many boots that just have a boa that just kind of pulls down on your instep and doesnt pull your foot back. Or the the Backland XTD, where the Z buckle, that does the same, crush your instep without doing anything about actually holding your foot back in the ankle pocket.

The narrower (at least narrower than their Radical) last and 120 flex is pretty encouraging. Very interesting design.

Dynafit Ridge Info -

101 mm last
    120 flex

This thing says available September 2024 but the instagram post says February.

https://www.ispo.com/en/promotion/is...ridge-pro-boot
    Yeah I’m pretty interested in this boot. Similar forward lean to ZGTP.

Thanks! Well, I'll get the Transalps to try in a few days, and if they don't fit, easy returns. Seems no Norwegian outlets stock the Skorpius CR2, so an order would have to be from the EU with all the customs crap that means, and not so easy returns.

I probably won't use mine for anything fatter than the BC90s, but I'm not writing off touring the c132s either.

Sorry I’m late to this discussion, but I have transalp pros that fit so completely different than the skorpius II that I’m realizing it’s time to sell the transalps.

I have a Scarpa foot, Med width up front, high instep, and fairly narrow ankle/lower calf. The Skorpius II fit out of the box was so perfect I didn’t even mold the liner (scarpa F1 and Maestrale also like this).

The range of motion of the Transalp was great esp if I loosened the top buckle a few teeth. This also meant loosening the power strap. The overall stiffness was fine but overall the volume of the boot felt too large even though going down a shell size was way too short. My main issue was the lower calf area—my calves are big up top but skinny down near the ankle, and Transalp was just too big in that area.

Although I take a 28.5 in nearly every brand of boot on the planet, strangely enough the 28.0 Skorpius II was just right.

Anyone want to buy a pair of 28.5 Transalp Pros?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Sorry I’m late to this discussion, but I have transalp pros that fit so completely different than the skorpius II that I’m realizing it’s time to sell the transalps.

I have a Scarpa foot, Med width up front, high instep, and fairly narrow ankle/lower calf. The Skorpius II fit out of the box was so perfect I didn’t even mold the liner (scarpa F1 and Maestrale also like this).

The range of motion of the Transalp was great esp if I loosened the top buckle a few teeth. This also meant loosening the power strap. The overall stiffness was fine but overall the volume of the boot felt too large even though going down a shell size was way too short. My main issue was the lower calf area—my calves are big up top but skinny down near the ankle, and Transalp was just too big in that area.

Although I take a 28.5 in nearly every brand of boot on the planet, strangely enough the 28.0 Skorpius II was just right.

Anyone want to buy a pair of 28.5 Transalp Pros?
    I’m almost certain the 28 and 28.5 are identical for the Skorpius.

Can you speak to walkability (ROM, friction, etc) and skiability (stiffness, progressive, cuff height, etc) of the Transalp and Skorpius? I owned the Skorpius but I sadly couldn't punch it enough for my tailor’s bunion.

Am I, by the way, being dumb as shit for not considering the Hoji Frees? Anything will be better than the Lupos, so what I read from the fit comments on the Frees are that they have a pretty low instep and a tight ankle/heel area. Which sound like good things. Another bonus is the option of buying from VPG, and I could order both 26.5 and 27.5 to see which fits the best. They are, obviously heavier than either transalp pros or Skorpius CR2s, but they will be about the same as the Lupo Pros with the tongue removed.

Am I, by the way, being dumb as shit for not considering the Hoji Frees? Anything will be better than the Lupos, so what I read from the fit comments on the Frees are that they have a pretty low instep and a tight ankle/heel area. Which sound like good things. Another bonus is the option of buying from VPG, and I could order both 26.5 and 27.5 to see which fits the best. They are, obviously heavier than either transalp pros or Skorpius CR2s, but they will be about the same as the Lupo Pros with the tongue removed.
    I've been ski on the hill and slackcountry on my lupo c ti's for years with a vulcan as my touring boot. I bought some free 130's last year. The Free's ski near as well as the lupo and tour as well or better than the vulcan. I don't really like touring in the lupo. Lupo doesnt have a great rearward ROM abd you cant skj them without tongues and putting tongues in and out gets old. Hoji lock us even more convenient than any other touring boot despite taking some umph to engage. I had to do a heat punch on the hoji for one ankle bone placement. $20 one time and theyre slippers. I ski them most of the time now. Touding all the time and most of tge time on the hill. Waaaay more comfortabke walking on a rockered sole if your skis are on your back as well. I think theyre atleast 200g liter than lupos?

I own hoji frees and OG skorps - the hoji walks really well for the class of boot it's in, but the skorpius still walks significantly better. And the hoji skis much much better. These boots are really in totally different classes. If you know what you want out of your touring boots it should be pretty clear which of these makes more sense IMO

I'd like to add a skorpius or maybe the new ridge alongside my hoji free's. They sound fairly similar in fit

So, by Marshal's recommendation, I ended up ordering backland XTD carbon 120s, alongside Hoji Free 130s ( not at all Marshal's rec). Will try these out comparing them to the Transalps, make a choice from there. Thanks for your input so far, mags.