Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    8,897

    Cloud computing. Docker microservices kubernetics

    Anyone getting into cloud computing, kubernetics, docker, microservices. Ect ect.

    Since IBM bought Redhat. It seems my entire industry has jumped right into this.

    I have not gotten my hands on any new Genesys software or deployment guides.

    Someone still has to architect install and configure this stuff. Me? VM.s were bad enough this seems to further disconnect us from the actual computer.

    Anyway a place holder if anyone wants to weigh in.
    My world is SIP based communications. Genesys. With lots of add-on clients.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Posts
    2,019
    Kubernetes is quite popular

    This is actually a great place to start One of the early founders of Kubernetes management wrote a 'children's book https://www.cncf.io/the-childrens-il...to-kubernetes/

    If you use Azure or are considering Azure, Microsoft Learn is a great free (some modules assume you have an Azure subscription) technical skilling resource on thousands of topics, including Azure Kubernetes Service (the managed version of Kubernetes popular with enterprises. )
    MS Learn Home Page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/
    Intro to Kubernetes Learning Path: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lea...etes-on-azure/
    Azure Kubernetes Service Workshop: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lea.../aks-workshop/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Kubernetes is quite popular

    This is actually a great place to start One of the early founders of Kubernetes management wrote a 'children's book https://www.cncf.io/the-childrens-il...to-kubernetes/

    If you use Azure or are considering Azure, Microsoft Learn is a great free (some modules assume you have an Azure subscription) technical skilling resource on thousands of topics, including Azure Kubernetes Service (the managed version of Kubernetes popular with enterprises. )
    MS Learn Home Page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/
    Intro to Kubernetes Learning Path: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lea...etes-on-azure/
    Azure Kubernetes Service Workshop: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lea.../aks-workshop/
    All my work is Azure, but these were my starting points.
    https://azurecomcdn.azureedge.net/cv...sion%202.0.pdf

    Is their 50 day learning path and starts simple but gets extensive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    229
    Is it bad that I work in this industry and have no idea what the hell you're talking about?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Is it bad that I work in this industry and have no idea what the hell you're talking about?
    no

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    28
    My concern is we will get to appoint where very few of us understand how it all works.
    We will then rely on the few who do. Security and privacy is almost a thing of the past. Your right VM's are a problem, take a lot of resources and give people an illusion they are safe.

    On another note I do think IPFS or Filecoin is pretty damn cool.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    6,293
    Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    My concern is we will get to appoint where very few of us understand how it all works.
    We will then rely on the few who do. Security and privacy is almost a thing of the past. Your right VM's are a problem, take a lot of resources and give people an illusion they are safe.

    On another note I do think IPFS or Filecoin is pretty damn cool.
    Kind of the opposite IMO.
    If anything this puts everything on a flat plane in terms of deployment and design as you have more service oriented architectures vs. the dark holes of on-prem deployed servers with pay-for documentation/support (looking at you Oracle). Breaches are rapidly showing who has actually been walking the walk security-wise, and you're about to get fined into the ground if you don't have your shit together from GDPR/CCPA etc.
    Kubernetes containers are really just VM's without extra overhead (yes I know it's more than that, but conceptually that's the advantage) and better fine-grained control for resource pools (my Data Scientists need GPUs, my call center workers do not).
    For those not in the know: Genesys = Call Center software provider, now doing Call Center as a Service.
    The relatively instant on/off of resource provisioning is amazing and lets you scale properly, but honestly the software hasn't caught up yet as many are just "cloudwashed" and still on-prem solutions and monoliths jammed onto cloud VMs. I think Twilio is the future on communications, it's just most call center ops don't want to pay for software engineers to extend it out to where they need.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,118
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Is it bad that I work in this industry and have no idea what the hell you're talking about?
    It's all about the buzzwords man. Just refer to Kubernetes as K8s and you'll be all set

    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    honestly the software hasn't caught up yet as many are just "cloudwashed" and still on-prem solutions and monoliths jammed onto cloud VMs
    This is quite accurate from my experience. I do a lot of work with the government and their definition of "cloud native" is almost as absurd as their definition of AI
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by thechad View Post
    My concern is we will get to appoint where very few of us understand how it all works.
    I don't think this is a valid reason to be against any level of abstraction. I cannot read assembly and could not create a new kernel, but it doesn't concern me. I've found containers to be far easier to secure and maintain than VMs. The whole concept is a software company can focus on securing their webapp and not also worry about maintaining and securing lower levels of the stack such as the OS.

    Is it bad that I work in this industry and have no idea what the hell you're talking about?


    Assuming you mean the IT industry, not at all. Anyone who claims to know it all is a liar. I've found it a tricky balance to decide what to specialize in and avoid wasting time becoming too much of a generalist.

    This is all from the perspective of an Ops person.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    this seems to further disconnect us from the actual computer.
    That's the whole point.

    And a microservice is one of many acceptable sizes for a service, it's nothing new, just more common. Small things are easier to build and maintain than they were when you had to get intimate with the computer.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Posts
    2,019
    yep... general trend is to always further abstract a ring server+OS to VM to docker containers to container management (Kubernetes) to....

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    8,897
    Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    That's the whole point.

    And a microservice is one of many acceptable sizes for a service, it's nothing new, just more common. Small things are easier to build and maintain than they were when you had to get intimate with the computer.
    I believe it is the point. In the short term figuring out how to allocate the resources nessesary to drive a large redundant communication system is challenging. And then there's the who computers and software will be controlled by a very select group of mega corporations. Looks like the plan would be to just give the masse's terminals and Everything is routed through the mother ship.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    In the short term figuring out how to allocate the resources nessesary to drive a large redundant communication system is challenging.
    Yea, not my thing, but probably no secret way around that one. Better now than a couple years later.

    And then there's the who computers and software will be controlled by a very select group of mega corporations. Looks like the plan would be to just give the masse's terminals and Everything is routed through the mother ship.
    I think this is a fair concern but dangerous assumption. It's easy to make a scifi doomsday metaphor in any scenario that resembles progress. That select group doesn't have to be very big to wipe out most of the monopoly/oligopoly risk. Lotta white hat dudes with a similar mindset, mothership will hopefully be kept honest.

    I bet they got reddits for this kind of theory... back to the tutorial suggestions. As they say, pick a cloud an be a dick about it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,863
    Tanzu - this is the way and yes I work for VMware... K8S is def going to continue to grow so it is something you will want to understand and learn... It is a rapidly growing piece of our business and if a customer is not doing it they are making plans for it...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Verdi NV
    Posts
    8,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Tanzu - this is the way and yes I work for VMware... K8S is def going to continue to grow so it is something you will want to understand and learn... It is a rapidly growing piece of our business and if a customer is not doing it they are making plans for it...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I had one job prospect where they have decided to move the premise solution to MS azure. And given that they currently run on AIX and windows Server. I assume they want to move to Redhat Open shift on azure. I think? Then they seem to call it something different if it's with AWS. Google cloud has it's naming conventions. The past 6 years my constant battle was with the hosting platform and not having control of what was running on what hardware. I would balance out what applications with what loads ran where. But the cloud people would assign other vms to the same resources and impact my application performance. Also had the issue that you could not vmotion live servers. It would cause all the network connections to reset, causing all our stuff to go through a resync. And even swap to hot backups. In my mind I could see the advantage of being able to dedicate resources by service rather than server. But in my mind it's just going to be worse. Not to mention configuring a complex communication system is a full time job. Why do I have to get into this shit before I get around to doing what I do? Where did the systems admins go?

    FYI I don't have the job yet. Not even sure I want it. But yes everyone is looking for people who have my skills + all the various flavors of cloud computing and containers.
    Something I happen to know. Large VoIP platforms like Teams and Skype. Run on big dedicated servers. I suspect large transactional databases? Same thing.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I had one job prospect where they have decided to move the premise solution to MS azure. And given that they currently run on AIX and windows Server. I assume they want to move to Redhat Open shift on azure. I think? Then they seem to call it something different if it's with AWS. Google cloud has it's naming conventions. The past 6 years my constant battle was with the hosting platform and not having control of what was running on what hardware. I would balance out what applications with what loads ran where. But the cloud people would assign other vms to the same resources and impact my application performance. Also had the issue that you could not vmotion live servers. It would cause all the network connections to reset, causing all our stuff to go through a resync. And even swap to hot backups. In my mind I could see the advantage of being able to dedicate resources by service rather than server. But in my mind it's just going to be worse. Not to mention configuring a complex communication system is a full time job. Why do I have to get into this shit before I get around to doing what I do? Where did the systems admins go?

    FYI I don't have the job yet. Not even sure I want it. But yes everyone is looking for people who have my skills + all the various flavors of cloud computing and containers.
    Something I happen to know. Large VoIP platforms like Teams and Skype. Run on big dedicated servers. I suspect large transactional databases? Same thing.
    there is also Azure Kubernetes Service, the managed version of Kubernetes on Azure... as an alternative to OpenShift.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •