Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    When god decides they're going to do you in and then changes they're mind at the last minute and you decide to sue someone over it, god will not be so generous next time.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://worldofaviation.com/2021/03/...ngine-failure/

these people are going to need the $$$$$$ to buy emotional support animals
    How bout just buying the pilots a fucking beer instead and moving on with your miserable existence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

people just don't have enough experience in almost dying anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by lettuce_1 View Post
    How bout just buying the pilots a fucking beer instead and moving on with your miserable existence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SERIOUSLY!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

HOW CAN I BE COMPENSATED?!?

I HAVE ABRASIONS!

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I still call it The Jake.

Automation has to pay the taxes of the liveware it replaces until such time the Terminators eliminate all objections.

I mean I'm sure some of these people, maybe all of them, were traumatized by all this and could use some support. And despite the fact that the engines hadn't reached the number of cycles where inspection was an FAA requirement, this series of P&W engines are apparently the only ones in the world constructed this way (i.e. with hollow fan blades) and it had been almost 5 years since the blades were inspected on this plane. 5 years and thousands of cycles

I do think the airline bears some responsibility here and support people getting compensated in a reasonable manner. Obviously the $5bn number won't fly. But blindly siding with the corporation isn't called for in my book. Blindly supporting any and all claims isn't called for either, so let the courts sort it out, it's what they're for. Save your outrage for something else.

edit: haha "FAA". I originally wrote "FDA", d'oh!
    Last edited by ötzi; 03-11-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I mean I'm sure some of these people, maybe all of them, were traumatized by all this and could use some support.
    Cool. Let United pay for their therapy bills. That works for me.

I'm pretty sure that therapy is a condition to flying United in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    FedEx never loses fan blades!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

There are probably people who have some form of PTSD from this experience. It would have been smart for United to offer some sort of critical stress counseling if they haven't already.

This is air travel we're talking about. In the present day, if you don't have PTSD from flying, it's like Catch-22 at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah that's probably about all I'd support, but I would support it. If the courts determine that punitive fines are called for, United should have to give them to charity or something, nobody should be getting rich here.

I have a friend that lived across the street from the huge ExxonMobil refinery in Torrance, and a portion of it tended to blow up every couple of years. So ExxonMobil would schedule free counseling to people living nearby. She said it was great, free counseling and therapy. "So, do you feel anxious living next to the refinery?". "Nah, I'm good with it. But I do have some other things I want to talk about". "Oh, like what?"

I read an artical on what happened to the engine and it didnt really sound like United did any shortcuts on maintenance & inspection ?

but other than a messed up flight what did these people actulay lose, isnt that a principle of law ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hollow fan blades. That's a new one for me. 6500 flights between checks seems like a long time. Anyone know how many flights a year a 777 would take?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://worldofaviation.com/2021/03/...ngine-failure/

these people are going to need the $$$$$$ to buy emotional support animals
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The defendant makes a settlement offer of free tickets which the plaintiffs eat up - proving that they weren't in fact traumatized.

Meanwhile UA threatens P&W and receives price concessions on future business.
    As Mrs. DJSapp, her mom, and mini DJSapp #1 were "brave survivors" of a JetBlue incident, I can assure you the airline is doing fuckall for their passengers. Right off the bat I'd guess United offered them to refund the flight and give them a non-transferrable voucher for another free flight that expires within one year. That's what JB offered them when they landed with the parking brake on, blew up the tires and started a fire (oops). What does this actually cost the airline? Pretty much nothing, especially these days with fewer butts in seats. The 'abrasions from going down the emergency slide were real and needed to be bandaged for a week. Rubber road rash from going down a 45* slide. I could see people getting infections from that real easy because people are idiots. Those emergency slides aren't a playground slide. They're better than jumping 20' to flat concrete, but they're not good.

Shit does happen. Humans are fallible. And Mrs. DJSapp wasn't ready to get back on a plane in time to use that free ticket because I wanted to go to Costa Rica on their dime. $500 from some ambulance chaser class action suit settlement would have been a lot cooler than an unused voucher. Mrs. DJSapp still gets anxious on landings but it passes.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    nobody should be getting rich here.
    That kind of thinking flies directly in the face of the life plans for a significant portion of the population. You are only one lawsuit away from meeting Robin
    Leach.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    As Mrs. DJSapp, her mom, and mini DJSapp #1 were "brave survivors" of a JetBlue incident, I can assure you the airline is doing fuckall for their passengers. Right off the bat I'd guess United offered them to refund the flight and give them a non-transferrable voucher for another free flight that expires within one year. That's what JB offered them when they landed with the parking brake on, blew up the tires and started a fire (oops). What does this actually cost the airline? Pretty much nothing, especially these days with fewer butts in seats.

Shit does happen. Humans are fallible. And Mrs. DJSapp wasn't ready to get back on a plane in time to use that free ticket because I wanted to go to Costa Rica on their dime. $500 from some ambulance chaser class action suit settlement would have been a lot cooler than an unused voucher. Mrs. DJSapp still gets anxious on landings but it passes.
    Yeah, if my wife was on that plane or this United one, she would be beside herself. She hates flying to begin with and admits to it being completely unreasonable, but cannot control it. I think it's similar to people being afraid of heights. Some things are just not in your complete control...like a bunch of you kooks trying to ski a no-fall ski line.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    This is air travel we're talking about. In the present day, if you don't have PTSD from flying, it's like Catch-22 at that point.
    “Why don't you ever fly with me?” Orr asks Yossarian.

Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Practice makes perfect.
    So you're saying airlines should have random emergency slide drills to keep passengers well prepared for the abrasions?

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Hollow fan blades. That's a new one for me. 6500 flights between checks seems like a long time. Anyone know how many flights a year a 777 would take?
    I agree. That does seem like a long time. The 777 is going to be used only on long haul flights, so I'd say no more than two cycles per day. That adds up to close to ten years between checks.