Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1453
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Good to go, I even used them one day when i forgot my regular poles.

They work well as hiking poles and are well liked by most.
    Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would buy really expensive hiking poles. It's hard for me to imagine the experience is any different between a $30 set and a $150 set.

FWIW, whenever ATK reviews knife block sets they always have issues with them and recommend putting together your own set a la carte even if it costs a little more. This reddit post has every "Winner" and "Best Buy" knife from their testing (most pricing is out of date but the links mostly still work): https://www.reddit.com/r/ATKGear/com...rte/?rdt=44374

That said, if there's a set that looks good to you and fits your budget, there's no risk to trying it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I’m looking to spend my bonus money on a set of kitchen knives. Anyone bought set from Costco? Like or not?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'm gonna echo the "don't buy a set" comment.

I know you need more than one, but sets just aren't the best way to do it--they usually come with a bunch of junk you don't need and they don't put the quality in the right place (it is like bikes that spec an XT derailleur and an SLX shifter when everybody knows that if you're gonna have one XT part in your drivetrain it should be the shifter). They pad up the item count with silly steak knives and random mid-length and carving knives that get used once a year.

Buy a really nice 8" chef's knife (240mm or 10" if you can handle it and have the cutting board/counter space). Something German or Japanese depending on your preferences. Spend $100 or more here (although there are some good cheaper options).

Buy a decent paring knife ($50 or less). Buy whatever serrated bread knife you like the look of (doesn't have to be fancy, they all work, <$30). Buy some sort of mid-length "utility" knife. That's everything you "need" and you can always fill in gaps later--E.g. I have both a 240cm japanese chef's knife for most work and a burly 8" german one for heavy jobs. I added a boning knife (which most knife sets don't include) for breaking down large cuts of meat.

If I had to pick a set from Costco's current online offerings, it would be this one: https://www.costco.com/zwilling-pro-...000024321.html

Not a lot of fluff in there, decent quality, etc. But it is also the most expensive one they currently have, and you're paying for quality where you don't need it (you don't need a bread knife with a $150 MSRP). Having both a 3" and 4" paring knife AND a 5" santoku plus 6" slicer/utility knife is a little silly, but it isn't crazy and some overlap is nice if you are lazy about washing dishes...

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post

I know you need more than one, but sets just aren't the best way to do it--they usually come with a bunch of junk you don't need and they don't put the quality in the right place (it is like bikes that spec an XT derailleur and an SLX shifter when everybody knows that if you're gonna have one XT part in your drivetrain it should be the shifter). They pad up the item count with silly steak knives and random mid-length and carving knives that get used once a year.

Buy a really nice 8" chef's knife (240mm or 10" if you can handle it and have the cutting board/counter space). Something German or Japanese depending on your preferences.

Buy a decent paring knife. Buy whatever serrated bread knife you like the look of (doesn't have to be fancy, they all work). Buy some sort of mid-length "utility" knife. That's everything you "need" and you can always fill in gaps later--E.g. I have both a 240cm japanese chef's knife for most work and a burly 8" german one for heavy jobs. I added a boning knife (which most knife sets don't include) for breaking down large cuts of meat.

If I had to pick a set from Costco's current online offerings, it would be this one: https://www.costco.com/zwilling-pro-...000024321.html

Not a lot of fluff in there, decent quality, etc. But it is also the most expensive one they currently have, and you're paying for quality where you don't need it (you don't need a bread knife with a $150 MSRP). Having both a 3" and 4" paring knife AND a 5" santoku plus 6" slicer/utility knife is a little silly, but it isn't crazy and some overlap is nice if you are lazy about washing dishes...
    Swiss is good too.

Victorinox fibrox knives. I have a $200 Shun, and yeah it's a little better, but I love my Victorinox knives and usually just use those. They're about $30-$40 each on Amazon and are 90% as good as the Shun, and worlds better than my block set of Henckels.
    If you want a block set to get some inexpensive steak, bread, paring knives, that's fine. But get a couple of the Victorinox in various Chef or Santoku sizes and pitch the chef knife that comes with the block set.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Victorinox fibrox knives. I have a $200 Shun, and yeah it's a little better, but I love my Victorinox knives and usually just use those. They're about $30-$40 each on Amazon and are 90% as good as the Shun, and worlds better than my block set of Henckels.
    If you want a block set to get some inexpensive steak, bread, paring knives, that's fine. But get a couple of the Victorinox in various Chef or Santoku sizes and pitch the chef knife that comes with the block set.
    RH Forschner, aka, Victorinox.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I have always used Energizer rechargeable batts for my Garmin and a few other things.
    Just remember it makes the battery life indicator useless on nearly all devices (since the voltage vs capacity curve is different).

Buy a really nice 8" chef's knife (240mm or 10" if you can handle it and have the cutting board/counter space). Something German or Japanese depending on your preferences. Spend $100 or more here (although there are some good cheaper options).

Buy a decent paring knife ($50 or less). Buy whatever serrated bread knife you like the look of (doesn't have to be fancy, they all work, <$30). Buy some sort of mid-length "utility" knife. That's everything you "need" and you can always fill in gaps later--E.g. I have both a 240cm japanese chef's knife for most work and a burly 8" german one for heavy jobs. I added a boning knife (which most knife sets don't include) for breaking down large cuts of meat.

Good advice here. I’d add that the “bread knife” can be used nicely as a tomato knife and other things especially if you use a “durable” edge on the chef’s. Various meat dishes that you slice before serving but after cooking, or slice mid cooking, it’s helpful. GF has a ‘super slicer’ and it’s awesome but a bread knife will get by. I’ve got that Japanese style from them (santoku?) and I think the 10” chef and they are very nice.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

their blended scotch and vodka are quite quaffable

https://www.costco.com/cangshan-rain...000175782.html

I am quite happy with this set. Caught it on sale for 79 bucks.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Cutco

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Good advice here. I’d add that the “bread knife” can be used nicely as a tomato knife and other things especially if you use a “durable” edge on the chef’s. Various meat dishes that you slice before serving but after cooking, or slice mid cooking, it’s helpful. GF has a ‘super slicer’ and it’s awesome but a bread knife will get by. I’ve got that Japanese style from them (santoku?) and I think the 10” chef and they are very nice.

Everyone saying to just get a 10" Victorinox, cheap bread knife, and small paring knife is correct.

I'll add that if your 10" knife isn't sharp enough to fall through a ripe tomato without any pressure at all, you need to up your sharpening/steeling game. We've been over it before somewhere, but the Ken Onion Work Sharp will get things scary sharp once you learn how to use it, and regular steeling will keep them sharp for months. In fact, if OP wants to spend more money than the 3 essential knives, he could get a sharpener too, but IDK if they sell those at Costco.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Ginsu. It slices! It dices! It even makes thousands of julienne fries!

Also a Victorinox Fibrox fan. Also have Shun, but the Victorinox get used first.

Handles have great grip, good even when hands are covered in meat juice. Blades don’t ‘feel’ premium - no heft - but are perfectly functional.

And since they’re pretty cheap, and no wood, I’m perfectly happy to put them in the dishwasher instead of washing by hand.
    Last edited by J. Barron DeJong; 02-29-2024 at 03:29 PM.

I have 30+ year old wooden handled Forschner (aka Victorinox). I bought an electric sharpener that cost more (in 30+ year old $) than all my knives combined.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Everyone saying to just get a 10" Victorinox, cheap bread knife, and small paring knife is correct.
    There's a reason those Victorinox knives have been winning Cooks/ATK tests for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Just remember it makes the battery life indicator useless on nearly all devices (since the voltage vs capacity curve is different).
    Yup. Small price to pay though since I've never had a rechargeable ruin a device.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

I'll add that if your 10" knife isn't sharp enough to fall through a ripe tomato without any pressure at all, you need to up your sharpening/steeling game. We've been over it before somewhere, but the Ken Onion Work Sharp will get things scary sharp once you learn how to use it, and regular steeling will keep them sharp for months. In fact, if OP wants to spend more money than the 3 essential knives, he could get a sharpener too, but IDK if they sell those at Costco.
    The ripe tomato cut demoed here at 1:22:

No matter if you have dollar tree or Costco knives you can keep them extra-ultra sharp using a water stone as shown in the video. I got one of the stones off amazon and can confirm results are match the video, you can cut a tomato as thin as paper. I saw the ken onion machines is the thread from several years but the machine was ~ $170 back then vs. $35 for a water stone.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    https://www.costco.com/cangshan-rain...000175782.html

I am quite happy with this set. Caught it on sale for 79 bucks.
    I got a similar set. Those scissors are the bomb. I love the chefs and santoku

What do I want from Costco?

Kirkland Rioja Reserva 2019. 100% Tempranillo, 30 mos on oak and 6 mos cellaring. Required for a reserva. Muy bueno!
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 03-01-2024 at 09:58 AM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Almost any knife can be made sharp. The difference between a good knife and a shitty knife is how long it stays sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Cutco
    x2

However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    x2

x0

Overpriced gimmick knives sold via pyramid scheme.

Although I’ve heard the scissors are super nice.

x0

Overpriced gimmick knives sold via pyramid scheme.

Although I’ve heard the scissors are super nice.
    Truth. People like Cutco because they're sharpened for free and the majority of the public is too stupid to sharpen their own knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Truth. People like Cutco because they're sharpened for free and the majority of the public is too stupid to sharpen their own knives.
    90% of the US population = Costco gold baby!