Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26

Thread: Sobriety, V2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I can't do AA ... I don't want to have to explain more but I tried it and it's not for me.

I have always drank but now it's officially beyond my control.

Does anyone have a non-AA suggestion for help?
    Dharma recovery, check it out.
    https://recoverydharma.org/

I can't do AA ... I don't want to have to explain more but I tried it and it's not for me.

I don't even feel like I can talk to my current therapist, who is fucking amazing, but who is also my couples therapist, and I've been hiding it from my wife. So not happening.
    AA isn't for everyone. Wasn't for me... not in the least. I know my reasons, be curious to hear yours.

Feel free to reach out to me and we can chat. Can't promise that I can help, but willing to try.

I've been sober over 16 years now. It never gets easier.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    If so— congratulations. Your body considers alcohol to be a fuel. You’re an ism.
    ^No idea if this is based in science or has any medical merit... but I was a super alcohol fueler back in my bad days. Not just the day to day, but I could compete athletically and hammer out ultra-endurance efforts on booze-fuel. A terrible super power - who needs a positive reward system for more alcohol consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Another sign of alcoholism is there are no hangovers, just withdrawals.
    Legit. A sure sign of the endless nightmare of basically full time drinking, the permanent midnight.

Sobriety, V2.

Redacted as I can’t delete for some reason

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado

I don't even feel like I can talk to my current therapist, who is fucking amazing, but who is also my couples therapist, and I've been hiding it from my wife. So not happening.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Your wife knows. Unless you're living pretty separate lives at this point, don't kid yourself. Agreed, your couples therapist is not the one to bring this to, but if they're doing their job they will refer you to someone else. But you gotta take it to somebody, there's only so much accountability you can get out of a bunch of randos from the internet.

I'm not an AA subscriber either, but one of many things they got right is if you won't own up to it, you'll never get on top of it. I don't know your situation, but talking to your wife might be the admission you need to make a permanent change. Maybe it's a no go, maybe it's an opportunity.

Thanks for the support.

I intend to take responsibility, and i think this is where it starts, but I'm not ready to do that with the wife right now. She knows some but not all.

I have looked into recovery dharma as more than one of you have suggested and I will make time for it next week.

Tomorrow I'm taking my son skiing... just me and the boy... focusing on the excitement of that for now... that's my main priority right now. We finally have snow here so I hope he does ok as a 5 year old beginner in what might be mild powder snow.

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Take joy in just hanging out with him, and being his dad. It’s hard to lose sight of the fact that those moments are precious (regardless of how it goes, lol). Alcohol dulls the clarity of what those moments mean. Have fun!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I have looked into recovery dharma as more than one of you have suggested and I will make time for it next week.
    I'll shoot you a pm on Monday for a reminder. Have fun with the kiddo today.

I did it without AA.
    Totally recovered now.
    Unfortunately you need Facebook to access the recovery groups.
    Thats the platform that carries most of the information.
    Annie Grace " This naked mind" has a great platform with like minded people finding recovery together.
    Here is a link to a free 5 day program.
    https://start.controlalcohollive.com...xS_ukBQacXL5Yu
    She also has a free 30 day program.
    William Porter had a " Alcohol Explained " group that is also following a science based recovery.
    I see things differently than AA.
    Thats ok 👌
    We all travel the path of sobriety and recovery differently.
    My road has come to a end.
    I'm now cutting a skintrack for others to follow.

I followed a program based on a book called some sat in darkness It is Bible based but has a lot of good practicals for staying sober

There is alanon and other types of recovery groups like celebrate recovery

Relating to other’s situations is important
    Not judging but relating especially as you get sober and your life gets better don’t look down on others

Remembering I am not alone in the fight

It is a battle and it’s ok to struggle as long as I don’t use

The struggle is real and I have to admit that

Be grateful for every day and be present

Get a sponsor and work together to stay sober

Remember everyone already knows your not hiding anything and talk through your struggles

If you have one foot in yesterday and one in tomorrow your dumping on today It’s ok to learn from the past don’t dwell on it The future is what you make of it today

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Thanks for the support.

I intend to take responsibility, and i think this is where it starts, but I'm not ready to do that with the wife right now. She knows some but not all.

Tomorrow I'm taking my son skiing... just me and the boy... focusing on the excitement of that for now... that's my main priority right now. We finally have snow here so I hope he does ok as a 5 year old beginner in what might be mild powder snow.

Try talking with your General Practitioner, get one if you don’t. Be open to Rx. Suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I did it without AA.
    Totally recovered now.
    Unfortunately you need Facebook to access the recovery groups.
    Thats the platform that carries most of the information.
    Annie Grace " This naked mind" has a great platform with like minded people finding recovery together.
    Here is a link to a free 5 day program.
    https://start.controlalcohollive.com...xS_ukBQacXL5Yu
    She also has a free 30 day program.
    William Porter had a " Alcohol Explained " group that is also following a science based recovery.
    I see things differently than AA.
    Thats ok 👌
    We all travel the path of sobriety and recovery differently.
    My road has come to a end.
    I'm now cutting a skintrack for others to follow.
    Sounds good. I'm curious what you see differently than aa? I feel like it all comes down to honesty within yourself. Thx.

I agree, honesty in all aspects of your life is critical, ime. There is also a thing called Radical Self Actualization that I went through not long ago, before I even knew it was a thing. For me, I experienced a true coming to terms with who I am, who I was, and realistic assent of who I am, and likely can be at this age going forward. It gave me immense depths of gratitude, and has made it possible to endure some of the stuff I have been going through.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident