Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with Bibs

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I have the Arcteryx Sabre LT and the Trew Capow bib. Both are very nice. I am 6', medium in both bibs, both are plenty long enough. The Trew bib is definitely too heavy for touring. The Sabre LT is too lightweight for sitting on a chair when it is cold and snowing.
    I’d echo this same sentiment for the Sabre LT and have the Norrona Lofoten bib as well.

I’m 6’ 165 and Sabre LT Med fits perfect, with a nice athletic fit. I had the Stinger bib in a Med for a few years previous; they were good but more baggy/free ride fit. I think the Sabre is a great touring pant, but agree that the weight/thickness wouldn’t be ideal as an everyday cold/wet resort pant.

Norrona Lofoten Pro in a Med have a really nice fit and cut for me, but are a bit longer then the Arcteryx options. I use it at the resort but have toured a little in them. Very well built and designed but pretty heavy for a dedicated touring bib. Also the pockets sit low and the cuffs are stiff, tall and way more than you’d need in a touring pant. Personally, I wish the cuffs could button down more. I’ve hacked up the cordura from too many jump turns and edge contact

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by m104da View Post
    Bib pet peeve... bibs with belt loops... dedicated bibs, not the zip off kind. WTF? It's like that lawyer "belt and suspenders" saying
    I carabiner light crap to my loops all the time. My gloves, car keys (not while skiing), maybe a helmet. I also use them for hanging to dry sometimes.

I have old ass Trewth bibs that are still kicking. They have served me well. I’d prefer a more fitted cut but like the function enough to get over it.

I own the Flylow Bakers and Trew Capows - both purchased within the past couple seasons.

Flylows are burly and bombproof, with great venting, but they have a very boxy fit. Might be okay as resort bib, but I find them cumbersome on the skintracks.

Trew Capows are a great option. Slightly less durable, but slimmer fitting and a bit more breathable. I think they're burly enough for the resort, but they shine in the backcountry. The Trewth bibs are more resort oriented, apparently, but I can't comment on em.

can vouch for Norrona Tamok. Seem undestroyable. not too baggy, not too slim. enough pockets. 6'5 / 182lbs size Large. Also: I have long legs and these bibs are a bit longer than regular Arcteryx or Patagonia I tried.
    Last edited by tomh79; 01-30-2021 at 01:34 AM. Reason: additions

Just chiming in here. 5'10" 165 lbs. I have a burton living lining bib (size medium) with straight up Gore-Tex (as opposed to Gore-Tex Pro or any of their newer products). Have had zero problems in PNW snow or chairlifts. No touring, however. Also, I don't fall very much since I don't trick or jump (very high).

- Runs a little baggy
    - Fit comfortably
    - Zipper is a little short when I need to you-know-what
    - Good pockets
    - Crotch vents that I use from time to time if temps are in the 30's.
    - They keep me warm when the temps. are in the 20's with just a pair of long johns. (although I'm one of those that heat up fast when skiing).
    - No tough lining on the bottoms and both sides (at boot level) have tears in them that fill with snow.

This is a great thread. Good luck with the search!
    Last edited by resolute goggles; 02-09-2021 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typo

Here’s a little thread drift and help for the females in our lives.

These have been found as a necessity for covid skiing.

Trew Chariot bib — they have a fucking zip door ass flap. Some of them at least. Last years model didn’t. This years does. It’s not only made a pit stop in the woods faster but also wayyyyyy less bitching about taking off layers to pee.

Win-Win.

Tried on my buddies L and M Baker bibs. I'm 6'3 and 200lbs. Medium for sure too small. Large fit well. They do have a baggy fit to them. His are 4-5 seasons old and holding up really well.

I bought a nice pair of bibs used and cheap at a ski swap, I didnt realize they were womens till i tried to take a piss

fortunately I met a women who fit them so they have not gone to waste

must have been fate
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Here’s a little thread drift and help for the females in our lives.

These have been found as a necessity for covid skiing.

Trew Chariot bib — they have a fucking zip door ass flap. Some of them at least. Last years model didn’t. This years does. It’s not only made a pit stop in the woods faster but also wayyyyyy less bitching about taking off layers to pee.

Win-Win.
    I actually just ordered a pair of these for exactly this reason. It's shocking how many companies think trying to shimmy my butt out of the right leg is a feasible means of pissing in the snow - I might be able to pull it off in ideal conditions, but with ski boots on and a couple of layers of clothing underneath it's not happening. I would have thought a dropseat would be the default design for women's bibs but instead they're almost impossible to find.

Baker bibs

Only because when you search "bibs" in the forum keyword search am I putting this together, but over in gear in swap there is an awesome deal on a pair of Norrona Lofoten's
    They may be too big for you but I would go check em out. I am sure someone tech worthy would be inserting some sort of link right {here} to get you to that thread. But I am skier not a computer nerd so you'll have to scroll.
    Growing up I was a very technical skier at a tiny ski hill, now when I go back, I just take the whole thing in ... with flexion, then extension. And yeah I am over it.

My two favorite bibs - Outdoor Research Hemispheres and Elevenate Bec de Roses. I’m 6’2, 200 lbs, and large fits me well in both. Hemispheres are a little baggier up top which I really like - can throw on a belt to tighten it up and plenty of room to wear over layers. Bec de roses is fantastic backcountry, the goretex pro is super breathable and lots of features/great pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I'm similar size and I never felt like the Baker fit very well. I'm using the Salomon GTX bibs and really like them. They've never soaked through and I like the cut. Dual leg zips give them great air flow.
    Those are not bibs, they are high wasted pants with suspenders. Bibs have a...bib that covers your chest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	362358

Anyone had TNF Futurelight bibs? Any thoughts on sizing and futurelight material?

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Anyone had TNF Futurelight bibs? Any thoughts on sizing and futurelight material?
    there's a futurelight thread

everyone is raving about flylow baker. From my experience, they are super comfy, durable, yes. But I only wear them in park or hardpack days, because otherwise they leak badly plus their fabric tend to collect and hold snowflakes, so it doubles the leakage. Tried restoring the DWR but no success

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    there's a futurelight thread
    THanks

OP I'm the same size as you and run a medium tall too. In that size, we don't have a lot of options, but some feedback on a few:

North Face A-Cad Futurelight: these didn't wet out at all like I've read that Purist pants do. Not sure why these were different. Fit is is good, maybe a little skinny, except in the crotch, which never fit right. It's just too short, which makes big strides while skinning or hiking awkward. To the point that last weekend I tagged a rock at full speed, did the unintentional almost splits, and blew the whole crotch seam out halfway down the leg. Normally I'd sew them up and keep skiing them, but doing that will just make that part of the pant even tighter - so I'm moving on from them.

Eddie Bauer BC Freshline Pant: no one talks about these, but if you want a medium tall, 3L bib these are the shit. They're lighter than the A-Cad and the fit is way better. No issues skinning or hiking. They can sometimes be found super cheap when EB puts them on sale too. I had a pair for 3 seasons, replaced them with the A-Cad, and am now going back to these.

Mammut Haldigrat HS: I tried these on in a 34 and 36 when I was replacing the A-Cad. They're a Euro fit so even though they're not "tall" size they fit really well at our size. I'd guess Norrona is similar, but I've never tried them on.

Trew Capow Bib: looked hard at these, but couldn't get them for a few more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    everyone is raving about flylow baker. From my experience, they are super comfy, durable, yes. But I only wear them in park or hardpack days, because otherwise they leak badly plus their fabric tend to collect and hold snowflakes, so it doubles the leakage. Tried restoring the DWR but no success
    Worst ski pants I’ve ever owned. Literally returned them after one chair ride. By the top my thighs were wet. This was dry snow in Utah. I would never ever buy anything from flylow.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Worst ski pants I’ve ever owned. Literally returned them after one chair ride. By the top my thighs were wet. This was dry snow in Utah. I would never ever buy anything from flylow.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I have not had owned a pair of bibs that the waterproofing lasted a single season. Baker bibs may not be the most waterproof, but least they don’t get shredded and can be worn for more then one season. It’s cheaper to tech wash/waterproof them then keep buying new bibs every season.

My old pair (3 years old) were stolen. My new pair, which have about 30 days on them between the sled and skiing, are great. Ive skied a bunch of deep pow and they are still fine. Had three back to back over head days and they were wet at the end of the day, but I was dry inside them.

also looking for some resort orientated bibs....on the slimmer side Any thoughts on the following would be appreciated

strafe
    stio
    whodini
    trew capow

Following up on my previous post in here: Norrona bibs have held up really well. Considerably better than Flylow Baker or Trew, both in terms of long term waterproofness and general wear and tear. The pocket layout isn't my favourite, but it's acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by caledoniasoul View Post
    also looking for some resort orientated bibs....on the slimmer side Any thoughts on the following would be appreciated

strafe
    stio
    whodini
    trew capow
    I’ve used the trew capow every day I’ve been on skis for the past 2.5 years whether inbounds or touring and really like them. Nice slimmer fit and a good length plus super lightweight while still being waterproof (caveat I don’t live in the PNW). I’ve used trewth bibs, eagle pants, and Flylow baker bibs in the past and these are my favorite so far. All the others were either too baggy or too short or both. Im 6’2 180 and have a L

My only gripe is that they kinda flare out around the cuffs giving them a slight bell bottom disco look. I’d probably prefer a more uniform width all the way through, but I’m also a beater and often ski with my cuffs rolled up for easier boot buckle access so not an issue most of the time

I’d probably get them again if anything happened to these. Not really any durability issues so far aside from some small holes on the inside of the hip pockets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Flylow/Trew

I just ordered the Trewth bib, and have a Flylow baker in my possession. I love the baker bib in all ways except its a little tighter in the seat than I would like. (5"9' 170lb athletic build big ish butt. I have a Med/reg flylow) Hoping Trewth is a little more roomy in the seat without being too baggy, they said they updated the new iteration with a little more seat room. Fingers crossed ill let you guys know what I find.

** update **

So far I have tried on the flylow baker, 686 dispatch, trew trewth, and a few others (mountain hardware, one other I forget). In my opinion, Flylow wins for a few reasons. First is material quality. The material quality just looks and feels far superior to the rest. Second is fit. Its light, fits well, and is fairly adjustable. It is a little tighter in the seat as a tradeoff for the higher quality/stiffer material, but for me personally its a small tradeoff for what you get long term. Third I would say is features. Plenty of pockets for phone, beacon, snacks, maps, etc etc. I have not tested the front leg pocket yet (not the waist

The 686 has some good features. It is very flexible which is nice for bending... but it has a small amount of insulation which was a deal breaker for me. I like the dedicated phone "pouch" inside one of the pockets to keep the phone snug. It is comfortable for sure, but the material they use (which im sure is very good) just was not for me. In addition it fit a little tighter around the leg, to be honest it just looked a little weird on me... maybe just my weird shape. I am also not a crazy fan of the front zipper entry, I prefer a longer side zip entry.

The Trewth bib similarly just fell short for me in the material dept. I would say its a little more robust in feel than the 686, but not quite up to par with the flylow. Further, the build quality just felt a little less than what you get from flylow. More importantly, its got a much more bell bottom type fit, and no adjustments in the ankle. I will say that the Trew customer service team is EXCELLENT. They are very responsive and will go out of their way to help. I wish I loved the bib more because they are great people.

All of these bibs are good, at the 400+ price range, you are getting a good bib no matter what. Just offering my opinion and hope its helpful. @wesmantooth, maybe the capow is better than the trewth bib?
    Last edited by nsheuerman; 02-11-2022 at 09:19 AM. Reason: update

OP I have the Norrona Tamoks, and they fit the bill for what you want. Gore Tex Pro, not lightweight but certainly not crazy heavy, and actually somewhat reasonably priced for a Gore Tex Pro bib.

I have a few different Norrona garments and I'm 6'3 / 190... Norrona in a large always fits me well. They work well for taller people.