Page 74 of 81 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2021
  1. #1826
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    It said "Canada" at first and I decided not to insult the whole country, a decision I've since come to regret.
    Do you often make it your practice to insult entire countries?

    Bold, Ice.
    I still call it The Jake.

  2. #1827
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I've come around and like the name. As EWG pointed out upthread, it's the fans of the team whose opinions matter, not that of baseball fans at large.

    Anyway, anyone who doesn't think this was foreseen and calculated on both sides is kidding themselves as to how the world runs. A billionaire doesn't have his boys down the street at Jones Day's headquarters look into the names and then make a business decision that boils down to, "lets make them come after us for a payday that they'll have to prove while we litigate them into the poor house" is delusional.


    Anyway, the internet algorithm must be working, cause this article released today just popped up on my feed which says that Cleveland is the 9th best baseball city in America. Well done, boys.

    https://wallethub.com/edu/best-baseball-cities/12864
    I went to go read the local take on this and found a picture of Tito laughing instead.

    I still call it The Jake.

  3. #1828
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    17,423
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Do you often make it your practice to insult entire countries?

    Bold, Ice.
    Canada is a country? Humph.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  4. #1829
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Do you often make it your practice to insult entire countries?

    Bold, Ice.
    I did decide against it upon reflection.

  5. #1830
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I did decide against it upon reflection.
    Reflection, a practice not often employed here.

    Much less when an entire nation's pride is on the line.
    I still call it The Jake.

  6. #1831
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,383
    it's as if they think fans might not handle a new name that doesn't have "xxDIANS" so that they can transition without too much fighting over the name

    feels like it was workshopped in a primary school

  7. #1832
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    it's as if they think fans might not handle a new name that doesn't have "xxDIANS" so that they can transition without too much fighting over the name

    feels like it was workshopped in a primary school
    As a fan that actually got invited to weigh in (my vote was for the Commodores, as in Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry who beat the fuck out of the Brits in the Battle of Lake Erie (fun fact, only naval battle on the Great Lakes)), I think they actually put a lot of thought into this.

    That and it's cheaper to reuse the massive fucking sign in centerfield when you only change a few letters.
    I still call it The Jake.

  8. #1833
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,795
    It was be cool if they just slap a piece of white tape w Guar in sharpie over existing Indians unis.

    Maybe they could mix it up and call them the GWARdians.

    Heh heh GWAR!

  9. #1834
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,383
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    As a fan that actually got invited to weigh in (my vote was for the Commodores, as in Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry who beat the fuck out of the Brits in the Battle of Lake Erie (fun fact, only naval battle on the Great Lakes)), I think they actually put a lot of thought into this.

    That and it's cheaper to reuse the massive fucking sign in centerfield when you only change a few letters.
    commodores is way better; i can imagine some cool retro mascot getups...

    yeah, i'm just reacting to the image upthread of the similar logotype & the sort of generic "fighter but protector" nature of the word

    my kid's HS just went thru a name change, and they renamed the athletic teams from "trojans" [sort of tragically irrelevant too] to "guardians" so i'm disappointed to have been related in some way...after all the hand wringing to get a woke HS name, they short-armed the team with something generic & yet still fight-y, which kinda doubles down on the image they were trying to get away from

    yay, go "guardians"!


    (maybe everyone should always do air quotes when they say the name)

  10. #1835
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    commodores is way better; i can imagine some cool retro mascot getups...

    yeah, i'm just reacting to the image upthread of the similar logotype & the sort of generic "fighter but protector" nature of the word

    my kid's HS just went thru a name change, and they renamed the athletic teams from "trojans" [sort of tragically irrelevant too] to "guardians" so i'm disappointed to have been related in some way...after all the hand wringing to get a woke HS name, they short-armed the team with something generic & yet still fight-y, which kinda doubles down on the image they were trying to get away from

    yay, go "guardians"!


    (maybe everyone should always do air quotes when they say the name)
    I hear ya.

    Honestly, as long as they give Jose Ramirez a big ol fucking deal I'll be happy as the pitching looks great as always and he's the key to all this young fielder talent.
    I still call it The Jake.

  11. #1836
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    4,047
    How about the Giardians? A little reference to the water quality in the river and lake?

    I even have a logo idea: Giardia-Parasite.png

    (why the fuck can't I pst images??)

  12. #1837
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,795
    What’s the story behind Pedersons wearing the pearl neckless at the plate? Other than it obviously would be hard to play w a facial

  13. #1838
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    in a freezer in Italy
    Posts
    4,047
    That Altuve guy s pretty good.

  14. #1839
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    How about the Giardians? A little reference to the water quality in the river and lake?

    I even have a logo idea: Giardia-Parasite.png

    (why the fuck can't I pst images??)
    Well, I appreciate the effort Ice, even if it isn't really accurate anymore (notwithstanding some of my favorite plays on the old image, i.e. GLBC Burning River Pale Ale).

    The Cuyahoga River (and the National Park it runs through) and Lake Erie are very dear to my heart and I'm proud to say that not only did the Burning River incident kickstart what we now know as the EPA, but the river itself is completely healthy and is only one to-be-torn-down dam short of being completely free-flowing from its headwaters to the Lake.

    It really is an impressive decades-long cleanup effort that saw the Cuyahoga designated as a State Water Trail in 2019 and River of the Year by some national Riverkeepers org. I recently paddled the upper sections late this summer and was blown away by how nice it is.

    The Lake is no different. Steelhead runs, Walleye and Perch hatches and populations are all at all-time highs. I was sailing with family over Labor Day and could see the bottom at 50' not that far off shore from downtown, which I can not ever recall being able to do. People are taking care of their water up in NE Ohio, and its about damned time.

    Anyway, what were we talking about, baseball? Looks like the trashcans were in full effect tonight in Houston.
    I still call it The Jake.

  15. #1840
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    12,443
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Anyway, what were we talking about, baseball? Looks like the trashcans were in full effect tonight in Houston.
    Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.
    They got a name for the winners in the world

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  16. #1841
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    7,312
    Fuck the Astros

  17. #1842
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    16,383
    Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.
    Haha, Lord Helmet!

  18. #1843
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Pardon the interruption, but this just in...

    "The Cleveland Indians will officially be known as the Cleveland Guardians beginning next season, but another team in the city wants to stop the change from happening.

    The Cleveland flat-track roller derby team, which is also known as the Guardians, filed a lawsuit on Wednesday seeking to block the Indians from using their new nickname.

    The Indians said in July that they were aware of the Guardians roller derby team, according to WKYC. The MLB franchise claimed it had taken the proper legal steps to secure use of the name, but the roller derby team’s federal lawsuit states otherwise.

    “Major League Baseball would never let someone name their lacrosse team the ‘Chicago Cubs’ if the team was in Chicago, or their soccer team the ‘New York Yankees’ if that team was in New York — nor should they,” Christopher Pardo, the attorney representing the roller derby team, said in a statement. “The same laws that protect Major League Baseball from the brand confusion that would occur in those examples also operate in reverse to prevent what the Indians are trying to do here. By taking the name ‘Cleveland Guardians’ overnight, the Indians knowingly and willfully eviscerated the rights of the original owner of that name — the real Cleveland Guardians.”

    Cleveland’s MLB franchise first filed a trademark for the name Guardians in the African island of Mauritius, according to reports. That step was said to be taken to keep the plans a secret and not distract from the 2021 season, but the derby team’s lawsuit says the approach was designed to take them by surprise."
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I've come around and like the name. As EWG pointed out upthread, it's the fans of the team whose opinions matter, not that of baseball fans at large.

    Anyway, anyone who doesn't think this was foreseen and calculated on both sides is kidding themselves as to how the world runs. A billionaire doesn't have his boys down the street at Jones Day's headquarters look into the names and then make a business decision that boils down to, "lets make them come after us for a payday that they'll have to prove while we litigate them into the poor house" is delusional.


    Anyway, the internet algorithm must be working, cause this article released today just popped up on my feed which says that Cleveland is the 9th best baseball city in America. Well done, boys.

    https://wallethub.com/edu/best-baseball-cities/12864
    Just listened to a radio interview with the attorney for the Cleveland Guardians Men's Roller Derby Team and from what he says my post above is accurate; that this fiasco is by design.

    The Indians declined to be interviewed afterwards. Sounds like they just need to figure out a dollar amount and make some men on 8 wheels in tights very happy and go away.
    I still call it The Jake.

  19. #1844
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    12,443
    Pretty happy with the split in Houston, 2/3 at home please.
    They got a name for the winners in the world

    http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

  20. #1845
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Nah, lets see 3/3 and have the city explode. I don't think a team has clinched at home in a long while.

    And fuck the trashcan cheaters. Except Michael Brantley, he's cool, and a professional hitter.
    I still call it The Jake.

  21. #1846
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    11,783
    BURN suburban ATLANTA BURN

    actually dont, I need that hotel to stay in good shape thanks

    Hope Joc wins game 5 to clinch with a walk off so he can throw his necklace into the Astros dugout and LA Headlines can read Joctober gives cheating Astros a pearl necklace

  22. #1847
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    17,423
    In a press release issued Thursday, PETA called on the MLB to get rid of the 'outdated' name and change it to a suggestion that is more "animal-friendly."

    “Words matter, and baseball ‘bullpens’ devalue talented players and mock the misery of sensitive animals,” PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman said in the release. “PETA encourages Major League Baseball coaches, announcers, players, and fans to changeup their language and embrace the ‘arm barn’ instead.”

    PETA said the "bullpen" references where bulls are kept before they are slaughtered. In the MLB, the term is where relief pitchers warm up before the game.
    Meanwhile tonight the Tomahawk chop will get national airtime.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  23. #1848
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    26,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    BURN suburban ATLANTA BURN

    actually dont, I need that hotel to stay in good shape thanks

    Hope Joc wins game 5 to clinch with a walk off so he can throw his necklace into the Astros dugout and LA Headlines can read Joctober gives cheating Astros a pearl necklace
    The Battery is going to be fucking nuts today/tonight.

    It was wild when they clinched the NLCS and more packed than I’d ever seen it. Every block l, bar and restaurant full of people shoulder to shoulder.

    Too bad it’s gonna be like 50° and drizzling.
    I still call it The Jake.

  24. #1849
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    11,783
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The Battery is going to be fucking nuts today/tonight.

    It was wild when they clinched the NLCS and more packed than I’d ever seen it. Every block l, bar and restaurant full of people shoulder to shoulder.

    Too bad it’s gonna be like 50° and drizzling.
    Curious where the Omni will draw the security vs Revenue line.

    Man this is the kind of Hotel Ops night you dread/live for,,,,

  25. #1850
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Babylon
    Posts
    11,783

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •