Page 497 of 508 FirstFirst ... 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 ... LastLast
Results 12,401 to 12,425 of 12692
    Oh yeah, not Upstate but Happy 111th Anniversary to Grand Central Station.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    IME 'looks pretty good' at Pkill and Magic is often deceiving.
    Troof.

If you suck, Magic was horrible yesterday and today. If you're halfway competent, it was awesome and awesomer.

Oh yeah, not Upstate but Happy 111th Anniversary to Grand Central Station.
    One of my favorites.

US Open tradition for us is to meet my sister and her husband and friends in the oyster bar for shells, oyster shooters and martinis before hopping on the train to Queens. Happy birthday to a great place indeed.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Anyone else skiing Plattekill tomorrow?

Ask for change if you see me. That color jacket, black pants and most likely on some model Volkl (unless I snag a Blizzard demo). Buddy I’ll be with will be tele.

Attachment 483727
    Same color jacket as two weeks ago. I’ll be flying solo tomorrow so it would be great to make turns with anyone else there. Ask for change.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

I think we are heading to Rochester or thereabouts for the eclipse. Flying into and most likely out of NYC. Will most likely spend the night in Binghamton or Ithaca on the way there and spend time in the Daks/Hudson Valley on the way back. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Any recommendations for roadside attractions for a toddler? Scenic drives that won’t add a significant amount of time?

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Beautiful day at Plattekill. Trifecta of great surface conditions, relatively warm temps and outstanding bluebird sky. Toss up between Freefall and Blockbuster for ROTD. Ran into buckethead in the afternoon… great skiing with you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7110.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	485400

Edit: Nice to see the relatively large crowd. Word is they sold out today. Cars were parked all the way down the road to the farm. Even with that many people, I never waited more than 5 minutes in line and the trails never felt crowded.

Name:	IMG_7099.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	330.7 KB 
ID:	485401

Name:	IMG_7102.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	485402

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Beautiful day at Plattekill. Trifecta of great surface conditions, relatively warm temps and outstanding bluebird sky. Toss up between Freefall and Blockbuster for ROTD. Ran into buckethead in the afternoon… great skiing with you!

Name:	IMG_7110.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	485400
    Will be at Platty next Sunday….

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    I think we are heading to Rochester or thereabouts for the eclipse. Flying into and most likely out of NYC. Will most likely spend the night in Binghamton or Ithaca on the way there and spend time in the Daks/Hudson Valley on the way back. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Any recommendations for roadside attractions for a toddler? Scenic drives that won’t add a significant amount of time?
    The Finger Lakes is on/in your way to Roch. Exit 81 north of Binghamton then zig zag on two lane roads with names toward Ithaca. Hit the two lane roads through the FL. Be adventurous in your route from pt A to pt B. Go down a dirt road. Lots to see and do for toddlers. Every town has a park. My toddlers thought horses pulling Amish wagons and stopping to see a cow next to a quiet side road was awesome.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post

any road that goes up one of the lakes - 34, 89, 96, 414, 14 they are all scenic even in winter

if you’re not opposed to some walking/hiking, visiting Taughannock Falls in winter can be super special. NW out of Ithaca, rt 89 for gorge trail, rt 96 for rim trail & overlook.

Rochester - Museum of Play

Sent from some smartphone by a dumbass

I said it in the Eclipse thread but, I really think this needs to be looked at like a powder chase in reverse. As fickle as Upstate weather can be I think the way to play it is obviously to head towards where it's not cloudy. Pre-planning is great and I get it that if you have kids with you a place to stay is critical. I'm going to wait until a few days before to decide which direction to go, there are plenty of parking lots and places to pull over for a while to watch the show that'll be quiet without the crowds. I'm kind of hoping the 'daks and N Country are clear so I can hang out on customers farms where it's nice and flat.

I said it in the Eclipse thread but, I really think this needs to be looked at like a powder chase in reverse. As fickle as Upstate weather can be I think the way to play it is obviously to head towards where it's not cloudy. Pre-planning is great and I get it that if you have kids with you a place to stay is critical. I'm going to wait until a few days before to decide which direction to go, there are plenty of parking lots and places to pull over for a while to watch the show that'll be quiet without the crowds. I'm kind of hoping the 'daks and N Country are clear so I can hang out on customers farms where it's nice and flat.
    Your customers should charge big bucks, non-refundable rain or shine, for space the day of in those fields. My wife keeps trying to get her siblings to do something like that at the family farm. This one time I'm glad they're totally dysfunctional when they try to do anything together, because I'd rather deal with my wife's lamenting about what they could have done than have to deal with the siblings trying to do something together.

titus or mccualey are in the zone. 2 excellent places to avoid crowds.

The question is: what mil thickness, and color combination tarpentry provides the proper UV protection but will still allow adequate viewing.

Screw all those folks with welding shields, set up a kegger BBQ under Eclipse Shields(tm) tarp system and party like Syracuse vs Albany in the championship game.

Without turning this into full on eclipse talk, Rochester and Cleveland are actually two of the best spots in the US north of Missouri in terms of typical cloud cover. Blog link for the nerds.
    https://eclipsophile.com/2024tse/

Name:	Noam-centre-cloud.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	485466

Having a home base is pretty crucial with the boy. We are staying with friends in Rochester and if it works out we can stay and have a picnic at Mendon Ponds my wife will be happy for a long time. But I am planning on having to be agile go for a drive, the boy tolerates up to three hour car rides really well.

Thank you for the suggestions all.

That's a cool chart

Name:	IMG_5330.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	485545

one more of spanky.

great skiing with you.
    much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post

Name:	IMG_5330.jpeg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	485545

one more of spanky.

great skiing with you.
    much fun!
    Right on! Thanks for snapping the pic! Great skiing with you too! Tentatively planning Platty for this Saturday.

Firing in the WNY yesterday!!! Blower!!! Blue bird. Top ten day in the mountains. Low avy conditions.

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg 
Size:	543.6 KB 
ID:	485638

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Firing in the WNY yesterday!!! Blower!!! Blue bird. Top ten day in the mountains. Low avy conditions.

Name:	IMG_5153.jpg 
Size:	543.6 KB 
ID:	485638
    ‘ol powder mill vastly underrated. you can make a few turns and catch your trout dinner all in one trip

Sent from some smartphone by a dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Troof.

If you suck, Magic was horrible yesterday and today. If you're halfway competent, it was awesome and awesomer.
    Do you valet the Merc on the busy days?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by twomartinis View Post
    ‘ol powder mill vastly underrated. you can make a few turns and catch your trout dinner all in one trip
    Derby is always in early May and in those rare, big big snow years, you can do the double.

Magic has valet service?

Benny never mentioned that.
    I still call it The Jake.

Any southern upstate racers around?

Name:	IMG_1357.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	497.7 KB 
ID:	485708

gonna be a good day, boys…

Name:	IMG_6217.jpg