Page 89 of 93 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2312
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    What is the correct setup for the height of the freeride spacer on the FR15, FR13?
    Depends on your boot?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    What is the correct setup for the height of the freeride spacer on the FR15, FR13?
    I set mine and my customers up so that the boot sole is only just touching the boot sole (with no upward pressure) or with a thou or two gap - and that's with the skis in a vice with the camber flattened.

So I have a mystery that 4 shops and 1 Black Diamond rep cannot give me an answer to.
    And the guy at ATK gave me an answer that does not prove correct when tested.

I've got these here R13 bindings and the first picture is them set in walk mode, with the lines lined up.
    In the second picture they are in ski mode, with the lines lined up.
    In the third picture they are in the "mystery mode" that no one has been able to describe accurately to me.

The ATK guy said I could ski in both the mystery mode and the ski mode. An easy bench test indicates a significantly higher release value when in mystery mode, so I don't believe him.

In ski mode I early release easily. In mystery mode I don't early release but am suspect that the release value is inaccurate.

Anyone have any insights on these binding's ski, mystery and walk modes? Nobody else seems to have the slightest concern about this mystery click.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1475.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	458.3 KB 
ID:	485023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	714.3 KB 
ID:	485024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	705.6 KB 
ID:	485025  

Broke the plastic piece off the brakes on my FR14.

Sent a request to have a replacement shipped from ATK.

They requested I send a photo of the front binding, in case it needed "upgrading".

Sent the pic, and apparently it does. Anyone here have any idea what the "upgrade" consists of? And why it needs to be done?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATK.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	485030
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Broke the plastic piece off the brakes on my FR14.

Sent a request to have a replacement shipped from ATK.

They requested I send a photo of the front binding, in case it needed "upgrading".

Sent the pic, and apparently it does. Anyone here have any idea what the "upgrade" consists of? And why it needs to be done?

Name:	ATK.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	485030
    Occasionally the jaw pins in the original fr toe would fall out, atk changed the pin design. Youre getting new toes!

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Occasionally the jaw pins in the original fr toe would fall out, atk changed the pin design. Youre getting new toes!
    Thanks, mang!

Huh. Any way to tell if your toe pieces are affected?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by harveymushman View Post
    So I have a mystery that 4 shops and 1 Black Diamond rep cannot give me an answer to.
    And the guy at ATK gave me an answer that does not prove correct when tested.

I've got these here R13 bindings and the first picture is them set in walk mode, with the lines lined up.
    In the second picture they are in ski mode, with the lines lined up.
    In the third picture they are in the "mystery mode" that no one has been able to describe accurately to me.

The ATK guy said I could ski in both the mystery mode and the ski mode. An easy bench test indicates a significantly higher release value when in mystery mode, so I don't believe him.

In ski mode I early release easily. In mystery mode I don't early release but am suspect that the release value is inaccurate.

Anyone have any insights on these binding's ski, mystery and walk modes? Nobody else seems to have the slightest concern about this mystery click.
    What makes you think you're releasing early in ski mode? Remember, RV on tech bindings is not DIN. The heel controls the RV, not the toe.
    Tech toes have had multiple levels of lockout since the beginning of time. One reason two levels of lockout might be handy: the tighter one (now labeled walk) might be iced up, but at least you've got the middle one, which is probably fine for most skinning.
    Ski mode is always with the lever completely down.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    What makes you think you're releasing early in ski mode? Remember, RV on tech bindings is not DIN. The heel controls the RV, not the toe.
    Tech toes have had multiple levels of lockout since the beginning of time. One reason two levels of lockout might be handy: the tighter one (now labeled walk) might be iced up, but at least you've got the middle one, which is probably fine for most skinning.
    Ski mode is always with the lever completely down.

Thanks for the reply.

I experienced three releases the first 3 hours on groomers. That hasn't happened since I'm skiing in the mystery click position.

Yeah, I didn't know tech bindings are not DIN rated, my bad as I didn't do my research.

You would think "ski mode is always down" with the lines lined up, however ATK says I can ski in both ski and the mystery click with no difference in RV.

I also heard the Black Diamond Rep doesn't have any answer for the mystery click.

To summarize, all the shops in town and the Black Diamond Rep have no answer to the mystery click. ATK says send it in both modes but clearly the RV is way looser in ski mode.

Thanks for the reply.

I experienced three releases the first 3 hours on groomers. That hasn't happened since I'm skiing in the mystery click position.

Yeah, I didn't know tech bindings are not DIN rated, my bad as I didn't do my research.

You would think "ski mode is always down" with the lines lined up, however ATK says I can ski in both ski and the mystery click with no difference in RV.

I also heard the Black Diamond Rep doesn't have any answer for the mystery click.

To summarize, all the shops in town and the Black Diamond Rep have no answer to the mystery click. ATK says send it in both modes but clearly the RV is way looser in ski mode.
    The middle click is a mode you can tour on that still has a better chance of releasing if you get caught in a slide. It's not really designed for skiing. Only ski mode is. Yes, toe releases can happen in ski mode. Usually due to lateral pressure opening the jaws (eg airing turns and landing at high edge angles). Skiing in locked out mode is just something people decide to do, even though it's technically not supported by binding companies. Ie use at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The middle click is a mode you can tour on that still has a better chance of releasing if you get caught in a slide. It's not really designed for skiing. Only ski mode is. Yes, toe releases can happen in ski mode. Usually due to lateral pressure opening the jaws (eg airing turns and landing at high edge angles). Skiing in locked out mode is just something people decide to do, even though it's technically not supported by binding companies. Ie use at your own risk.
    Feels like a tolerance issue between the boot and the toes. Did you set the toe RV?

I experienced three releases the first 3 hours on groomers.
    Check if your boot heel inserts and the binding heel pins are perfectly aligned (when toe stepped in), ATKs are known to be very sensitive to misalignment.

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    I saw this thread right as I was mounting my c-raiders. Oh well.

Yeah that was what it looked like to me as well. I've seen that happen to metal toe pieces so it doesn't seem to be specific to carbon. Its just a weak point of the design.

Happened to me today:

Name:	df709664ecbf4df28fb2e79ccf801f80-1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	485416

Going to see if they'll replace it. Pretty bummed!

Quote Originally Posted by shitskier View Post
    Happened to me today:

Name:	df709664ecbf4df28fb2e79ccf801f80-1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	485416

Going to see if they'll replace it. Pretty bummed!
    Wonder if there's a bad batch of plastic out there.

This does not inspire confidence, though I ripped around on my c-raiders with the free ride spacer and became an ATK believer so I’ll just wait and see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The middle click is a mode you can tour on that still has a better chance of releasing if you get caught in a slide.
    Winner winner, I think.?

ATK mentions an adjustable RV for skinning and I was convinced this was the mystery click. Until I spoke with ATK and they said go ahead and ski in both, it just keeps the lever from rattling.

It ends up not mattering to me because I wanted DIN bindings.

And thanks the misalignment comment, that was the only issue ATK knew of as well. And the RV was correct for the toes.

I've recovered from my DIN/RV ignorance by mounting a pair of Fritschi Scouts.

Thanks for the info.

Feels like a tolerance issue between the boot and the toes. Did you set the toe RV?
    I haven't tried the new bindings with the RV toe adjustment. Just relating my experience with tech toes over the last decade.

Anyone know how much space you can get outta the brakes? Picked up a pair of FR14s but in the 102 brake width to go on some BMT 109s....I know most brakes can go ~6mm over but do the ATK brakes run small or large?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

in my experience, ATK brakes can stretch about ~5mm before they start rubbing on the sides

The brakes runs small, like a 102mm break will be borderline too small on a 102mm ski. You can bend them though. That’s for the regular brakes (non EVO / non AP) not sure about the other ones.

I’ve bent 108mm brakes for a 112mm ski, it was fine but next time I’ll take 120mm.

Strange. I ordered voyager 12’s from moment back in 2021 (FR12 rebrand) and they advised me to buy 102 brakes for a 108 ski. They were right, the bindings fit seamlessly with no bending needed. They definitely ran large. Any chance moment’s brakes differ?

Heads up, $299 for BD Helio 350's w/ 120mm brake for anyone interested (says 1 pair left) -

https://cripplecreekbc.com/products/...33798112444549

I've got a pair of newish atk free raider 13 Evo bindings mounted to some line vision 108.

I changed boots that had a few mm difference in sole length so I had to dial open the binding a little bit, and then adjusted it forward again until it barely grabbed the provided spacer (4mm?).

I skied five days, and on the last day coming back through the resort I got multiple vertical prereleases in the heel I manage to save with an impromptu telemark turn.

I thought wtf and took it into the shop to get the din checked to discover there was nearly a CM of air between the binding tower and the boot.

What happened here? Did I do something wrong? How do I know this won't happen again?

Quote Originally Posted by ChainDriveStrider View Post
    I've got a pair of newish atk free raider 13 Evo bindings mounted to some line vision 108.

I changed boots that had a few mm difference in sole length so I had to dial open the binding a little bit, and then adjusted it forward again until it barely grabbed the provided spacer (4mm?).

I skied five days, and on the last day coming back through the resort I got multiple vertical prereleases in the heel I manage to save with an impromptu telemark turn.

I thought wtf and took it into the shop to get the din checked to discover there was nearly a CM of air between the binding tower and the boot.

What happened here? Did I do something wrong? How do I know this won't happen again?
    I had a pair of mtns do this years ago - never could reproduce it or definitively determine I hadn't fubared the bsl adjustment. Occams razor suggests the latter, but I could be convinced skiing could slowly work a threaded adjustment track back.

I had a pair of mtns do this years ago - never could reproduce it or definitively determine I hadn't fubared the bsl adjustment. Occams razor suggests the latter, but I could be convinced skiing could slowly work a threaded adjustment track back.
    I have the mtn bindings which i like because the toe springs are very strong and i don't have to lock the toes even on steep firm.

How are the atk toe springs compared to the mtns?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk