Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

One dimensional skiers with one dimensional ski problems...

ZomblibulaX said something like this.
    and it came up skiing with Oldshool1080’s today.

So the question is... what do you think?

better to know what you like and have a few flavors of the same thing with a few backups just in case?
    or is diversity the spice of life?

hoarder madness
    or practical pragmatism?

evidence... of something anyway...

what about you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6FA8060E-CEE0-4D9F-A627-67CE499260EA.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	446.1 KB 
ID:	318905  

The person who owns this "quiver" LOVES marketing

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post

better to know what you like and have a few flavors of the same thing with a few backups just in case?
    I'm in this camp. I like trying different skis hut I have a pretty good idea of what I like for where I ski.

[QUOTE=Marshal Olson;5913052

better to know what you like and have a few flavors for different conditions or succumb to hoarder madness?[/QUOTE]

Edited for clarity. Applied practical pragmatism/right tool for the job for the win!

When you are young, you don’t know what you like. When you get older, you figure it out and then when you find ‘the one’, you don’t need to shop around anymore.

While this sounds like marriage, it’s not. Wives are much more expensive to replace.

Variety is the spice of life

Every ski has a personality. Not to say that you should ski a ski you don’t like.
    But it’s cool to have a quiver of three different types.

Hard pack ripper.
    Mixed pow crud charger.
    And pivoty pow slarver.

If your a gear whore you can have more than one in each category

My problem lately is my kids. They’ve spent so much time on mantra Jr reverse (and no camber) skis that they can’t handle real skis, let alone some camber and pop and rebound.

I think it’s healthy and fun to learn how to ski different types.
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    When you are young, you donít know what you like. When you get older, you figure it out and then when you find Ďthe oneí, you donít need to shop around anymore.

While this sounds like marriage, itís not. Wives are much more expensive to replace.
    True for some things, but not all. For example, I have 10 Terry Ti fly saddles, but I get new bikes all the time, as they are evolving rapidly..,
    Forum Cross Pollinator

I got somewhere around a doz pair of skis bought cheap and in every waist size, 7 pair that will tour, womens FIS GS, DH , and some I cna't think of without looking, we are not even talking about the Tele setups or the XC quiver

IMO the point of it all is to either figure out how to ski them or get rid of them but mostly don't wine eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    True for some things, but not all. For example, I have 10 Terry Ti fly saddles, but I get new bikes all the time, as they are evolving rapidly..,
    But aren’t we all talking about skis in this thread?

I guess the analogy would be boots?
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Skis are like people.

There are some you like, some you don't and a bunch that elicit something like indifference.

You can learn things and drive enjoyment from almost everyone you meet and every ski you ski.

In the end, you only really want to hang out with a few of them though.

Also, too many mounts can be a problem.

Man, I learned to ski on skinny skis. So I'm gonna go with variety. Get rid of the shit you don't like, keep what you do, and whoard what you love(4 pair Boneshaker/Carlos)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Terry Ti fly saddles
    Bikes come and go, Ti Fly's get moved to the next bike.

Variety for sure--for pairs with increasing width and decreasing stiffness. Some that need to be driven, some that prefer to be ridden. Sometimes it takes me a few turns to remember out how I'm supposed to handle a ski I haven't been on in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Skis are like people.

There are some you like, some you don't and a bunch that elicit something like indifference.

You can learn things and drive enjoyment from almost everyone you meet and every ski you ski.

In the end, you only really want to hang out with a few of them though.

Also, too many mounts can be a problem.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    ZomblibulaX said something like this.
    and it came up skiing with Oldshool1080’s today.

So the question is... what do you think?

or is diversity the spice of life?

hoarder madness
    or practical pragmatism?

evidence... of something anyway...

what about you?
    Like this quiver. Pretty similar to mine, but prefer MX than BMX.
    Those Monsters rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

Every ski has a personality. Not to say that you should ski a ski you don’t like.
    But it’s cool to have a quiver of three different types.

Hard pack ripper.
    Mixed pow crud charger.
    And pivoty pow slarver.

My problem lately is my kids. They’ve spent so much time on mantra Jr reverse (and no camber) skis that they can’t handle real skis, let alone some camber and pop and rebound.

I think it’s healthy and fun to learn how to ski different types.
    I do believe most lift riders are better served with at least a two ski quiver, but I would argue that rather than 3 distinct classes of resort skis, they exist on a continuum.

I rarely buy or sell skis. I find I'd rather make friends with it than part company. That being said I own quite a few. I will say I can have fun on any ski, but I have more fun on certain skis. The only thing I get pissed about is how hard it is to sort through the "one ski quiver" marketing bullshit.

I always say I'm going to hoard, but I'm completely full of shit. I can't imagine owning more than one pair of anything. And I've never sold a pair of skis in my life. I know on paper what the ski is going to be. And then I study the reaction for a genre I"m considering buying. And then I buy it and type online about how it exceeded my expectations.

The '14 Owl Renegade and the '20 Mantra 102 is the ultimate 2-ski quiver for Japan. I'm super one-dimensional. You cannot convince me a better 2-ski quiver exists for my environment... until I need a new ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

Every ski has a personality. Not to say that you should ski a ski you donít like.
    But itís cool to have a quiver of three different types.

Hard pack ripper.
    Mixed pow crud charger.
    And pivoty pow slarver.

My problem lately is my kids. Theyíve spent so much time on mantra Jr reverse (and no camber) skis that they canít handle real skis, let alone some camber and pop and rebound.

I think itís healthy and fun to learn how to ski different types.
    +1 minus the hard snow thingy (I just head to the bar)...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks m gravitating toward a variety of widths of early rise with camber skis.

Except my touring skis. Full reverse

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

One dimensional? Nah, I'm more bidirectional.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

My kid has a pair of OG Cochises still in the wrappers since the last year they made them, waiting for him to destroy the pair he's skiing on now. What;s that--at least 4 years?
    I've never felt the need to hoard--there's always a better ski to replace the one I used to love.

"A man can never ski the same ski twice. It will not be the same ski, and he will not be the same man."

I've finally (mostly) come around to a full spectrum quiver. Sold a a few and rationalized down to these four - spring/summer touring (zero g 85), winter touring (raven), resort (EHP) and big mtn/powder (supernatural 115). But I just can't shake the hoarder in me and just bought a third pair of EHPs, so now two unmounted and leaning against the wall... taunting me

Sell me one please

!0 or 15 yars ago I was an early adopter of fat skis at the hill nobody was buying them, one local store couldn't sell 2 pair of JJ's, so I bought one reallly cheap and at the other store the owner was telling people they didnt need fat skis probably cuz he didnt have any to sell ... anyhow they were a hard sell

so people would look at my JJ's with the big neon skeleton & say to me "my skis are fine I don't need fat skis"

to which I would reply " yeah yer wife is fine but wouldn't you like to try a super model ? "

nobody ever said no thanks my wife is fine, they all remained silent with a stupid grin

and now there are fat skis everywhere
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know