Page 810 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 ... LastLast
Results 20,226 to 20,250 of 41810
    the shut down to flatten the curve is over is all

best case scenario a vaccine is 18 months to 2 yrs out

I know its just Canada your second largest trading partner but your northern border is still closed to all but essential traffic

not sure about mexico but I think that country full of murders thieves rapist AKA your largest trading partner is also closed ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the shut down to flatten the curve is over is all
    Well, round one anyway. The way things are progressing I think we'll need a couple more rounds. Most parts of the U.S. dodged the bullet the first time, but I wouldn't want to bet on it happening again. I think any subsequent shutdown efforts are going to be less effective.

I know its just Canada your second largest trading partner but your northern border is still closed to all but essential traffic

not sure about mexico but I think that country full of murders thieves rapist AKA your largest trading partner is also closed ?
    Nonessential travel across the US/Canada and US/Mexico boarder is closed. However, trade is considered essential. The majority of produce consumed by both the USA and Canada comes from Mexico and you can still buy your Mexican produce in the grocery store.

Yet I'm still seeing BC plates in Bellingham. Saw one at the gas station two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    The pandemic is over here in Golden, CO. Restaurants are packed with dine in patrons. The local biker bar down the street from my house had probably 500-600 people and live music on Saturday and Sunday. No social distancing, no masks. Downtown has less tourists than usual for the summer, but there are plenty of people from other parts of Denver metro who are coming into town to bike/hike/drink/eat.
    wait for it.... wait for it..........

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Well, round one anyway. The way things are progressing I think we'll need a couple more rounds. Most parts of the U.S. dodged the bullet the first time, but I wouldn't want to bet on it happening again. I think any subsequent shutdown efforts are going to be less effective.
    I think the smart ones are going to hold up in isolation to the extent they can (their own personal lockdown) and the naysayers are going to go about their lives thumbing their nose at the virus until is does or doesn't get them. Natural selection in action.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yet I'm still seeing BC plates in Bellingham. Saw one at the gas station two days ago.
    A friend of mine was able to travel to BC on business a week or two ago. I was under the impression that anyone coming into Canada faced a 14 day quarantine, but he didn't have to. Seems strange there are loopholes like this.

Resigned to fact that if UNB even holds on campus session in fall, that we will have to lend my daughter a car and she'll have to drive herself and keep the car all year. I guess the snows will get put on wicked early. I am not a Can citizen. She is. My wife is, but who knows if they will let her in for an overnight stay without insisting on 14 day quarantine. Especially given news stories on CBC about folks not allowed into NB from other provinces for parent's funeral. Also, her roommate is from the NWT, so her housing plan could be all FUBAR if inter province travel is still verbotten. She want won't a rando in a two room suite with shared kitchen and bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    wait for it.... wait for it..........

I think the smart ones are going to hold up in isolation to the extent they can (their own personal lockdown) and the naysayers are going to go about their lives thumbing their nose at the virus until is does or doesn't get them. Natural selection in action.
    Unfortunately, all the naysayers will bring down our healthcare system, schools, and the economy. Oh yea, and then they'll be the people complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Resigned to fact that if UNB even holds on campus session in fall, that we will have to lend my daughter a car and she'll have to drive herself and keep the car all year. I guess the snows will get put on wicked early. I am not a Can citizen. She is. My wife is, but who knows if they will let her in for an overnight stay without insisting on 14 day quarantine. Especially given news stories on CBC about folks not allowed into NB from other provinces for parent's funeral. Also, her roommate is from the NWT, so her housing plan could be all FUBAR if inter province travel is still verbotten. She want won't a rando in a two room suite with shared kitchen and bathroom.
    My friend's son goes to McGill (She and hubby live in Seattle) and got stuck up there when the border closed. I believe that McGill has announced only online classes in Fall so not sure what his plans are but his mother misses him something fierce.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Unfortunately, all the naysayers will bring down our healthcare system, schools, and the economy. Oh yea, and then they'll be the people complaining about it.
    HOAX! CRISIS ACTORS!

My son has decided to try to go to college this fall. I think it's not a good decision, not only because of the health threat but because he's likely to be forced to go online for his classes which is a total gyp.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    A friend of mine was able to travel to BC on business a week or two ago. I was under the impression that anyone coming into Canada faced a 14 day quarantine, but he didn't have to. Seems strange there are loopholes like this.
    From what I've heard Canada's 14 day isolation rule isn't really (or equally) enforced. It's more of a promise to comply. I know people who have crossed (both ways) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    My son has decided to try to go to college this fall. I think it's not a good decision, not only because of the health threat but because he's likely to be forced to go online for his classes which is a total gyp.
    It's true that it's not going to be the same experience as in-person instruction, but at least he's got his eye on the prize--a college degree--which is a good thing. Dropping out of college or taking a year off and you never know where life will lead you. Stuff can get in the way that makes it impossible to ever get started or go back. I dropped out of college and it took me 8 years before I made it back to finish, and I almost didn't. Anyway, I hope it works out for him (and you).

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    My friend's son goes to McGill (She and hubby live in Seattle) and got stuck up there when the border closed. I believe that McGill has announced only online classes in Fall so not sure what his plans are but his mother misses him something fierce.
    I live 70 minutes from McGill. But on the other side of the Poutine Curtain. None of my kids want anything to do with school or living in Quebec. My daughter wants to end up in Nova Scotia when she graduates. A friend of ours a few streets over from here is a Prof at McGill and was commuting daily before all this.

Yeah, it's over. We had our weekly office meeting yesterday and I was the only one who chose the Zoom option. Everyone else was sitting cheek to cheek on the couches, no masks. I guess I'm the scared black sheep of the office. The portion of my office that don't backcountry ski think I'm crazy and risky because I do. But the thing is, that just means I think about risks and rewards. There is no reward in going to the office, only risk, small as it may be (for now, I'm sure our round 2 will start soon given the increasing infections elsewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    that just means I think about risks and rewards.
    I've been saying this a lot lately. Nobody would ride a motorcycle if it weren't fun.

The amount of mundane shit people are going back to doing demonstrates just how unthinking they are.

and now for a little levity:

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Nonessential travel across the US/Canada and US/Mexico boarder is closed. However, trade is considered essential. The majority of produce consumed by both the USA and Canada comes from Mexico and you can still buy your Mexican produce in the grocery store.
    food is essential eh

I think the border thing can be wierd, you gotta go thru Canada to get to point Roberts or Hyder or AK

You can come thru here to AK but you gotta promise to be self contained/stop for gas only/ no hotel & drive the whole thing in a 32 hr push and of course we trust Americans to follow all the rules

but your takaway was sposed to be that Covid is no where near over

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I agree. I've never thought about moving to another country, and probably never will, but I'm appalled at our reaction to this crisis.
    Italy is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The amount of mundane shit people are going back to doing demonstrates just how unthinking they are.
    this exactly ^^ people should be embracing a " new normal " I just got a will ( brought on by the covid ) signed, initila consult by phone, to sign I had to wait on the side walk, had to use hand sanitizer and there were 2 desks placed between us to keep the 6 ft spacing

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

I spent my morning participating on an annual large safety call/training with a oil/gas industry client. Covid19 was the focus. The client is very focused on employee safety and expects its contractors to have a similar culture. It was pleasant to hear directly from others across the country and in Canada describe personal decisions being made, even now with long view focus on safety (eg mask wearing, social distancing, influencing family to not have gatherings). Also, a clear identification and discussion about current societal complacency, challenges with children, and human nature’s struggle to understand this type of hazard and behave in a risk-focused manner.

When I see people that I know in a crowded hardware store or grocery store not wearing a mask, I really want to know their individual excuse for not wearing a mask. I also see plenty of people from the multiple nearby health care facilities at the grocery store not wearing masks. But I don’t engage.

Our county still has very few reported cases... The eye of the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Italy is nice.
    Maybe buy a $1 house?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/o...-19/index.html

I’m a sole practitioner and my health is of the upmost importance because if I get sick for a month and can’t work, I lose money. I can’t understand other business owners who don’t mandate their employees wear masks and social distance as much as possible, for the same reason. Imagine you’re running your business and your workforce suddenly goes away because of COVID infection. That seems pretty suffocating.
    However, in every in-person meeting I’ve had recently with contractors, realtors and owners, I’m the only one with a fucking mask. So fucking annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yeah, it's over. We had our weekly office meeting yesterday and I was the only one who chose the Zoom option. Everyone else was sitting cheek to cheek on the couches, no masks. I guess I'm the scared black sheep of the office. The portion of my office that don't backcountry ski think I'm crazy and risky because I do. But the thing is, that just means I think about risks and rewards. There is no reward in going to the office, only risk, small as it may be (for now, I'm sure our round 2 will start soon given the increasing infections elsewhere).
    As a skier, poker player, and former wildland firefighter I feel like I have spent a lot of time studying and evaluating risk. It's easy to forget that most people have never really needed to evaluate the impacts of decision making in low-probability high-consequence situations.

The best analogy I have been able to come up with when trying to explain it is that if climbing Everest is your biggest goal in life, you might accept a 5 percent chance of dying in the one attempt you ever plan on making.... but if you exposed yourself to a 0.5 percent chance of dying in an every day activity you would more likely than not be dead in less than a year.

Still goes over most heads. dang.