Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1629
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Attachment 485384

Spring skiing in early Feb. Nice day for a few runs in the sun. Triple broke and the line grew and there was really only the one run going. Give her another go tomorrow I guess.
    Is that Wild? Competition & Expressway? That was the main venue for my HS slalom days. Dandy, the rope tow on the far right is where I took my first run at age 3. Spent the next 15 years learning to ski on those little, icy runs. Great training for JP trees. ;-)

Damn... the nostalgia is hitting hard today.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Is that Wild? Competition & Expressway? That was the main venue for my HS slalom days. Dandy, the rope tow on the far right is where I took my first run at age 3. Spent the next 15 years learning to ski on those little, icy runs. Great training for JP trees. ;-)

Damn... the nostalgia is hitting hard today.
    No, it’s Marquette. Looks funny due to the wide angle. It’s actually bigger and steeper than it looks in the photo. Which is still not much at all.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Sad day for Midwest skiers as the historic Lutsen Lodge burned down last night. Lots of memories here as a kid. The lodge has been around a lot longer than the ski area.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kar...9-1dbf1c9b8551
    yup. Lutsen (resort) dates to the 1880s -

George Nelson came home from WWII and built Lutsen ski area on Eagle and Ullr "mountains" in the 1950s.

Less than a year after PapaCharlie's burned up at Lutsen Mountains, it has been a tough stretch.

(( they say they will rebuild Lutsen Resort lodge. wonder If they can get it done this year. A landmark ))

skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    No, it’s Marquette. Looks funny due to the wide angle. It’s actually bigger and steeper than it looks in the photo. Which is still not much at all.
    Ahh... buzzkill. I thought it looked small in the pic. Cheers!

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

Got some after work skiing in tonight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1707358430.931361.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	485975

Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4008.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	485976

Man...makes me miss night skiing so much...
    Gravity. It's the law.

Growing up in MN, the majority of my skiing was at night. Now I often go after work for a simple 1hr of hot laps and it is the absolute best way to finish a day. Skiing is many sports to me: trees, groomers, BC, hectic lines, family chair rides, and night skiing is another of its own sport. The pics here are rad!

2019/2020 Midwest Stoke Thread

Last edited by Mustonen; 02-16-2024 at 06:03 PM.
    focus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1707442064.065819.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	486123

Little Switz is holding up surprisingly well and the warm weather is keeping the crowds down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rain in the Twin Cities today - fairly heavy this morning. Not sure what it did to impact the snow pack, but still...ugh. Have the day off tomorrow, but may skip the skiing and do some work on some things I've been putting off instead... Looking forward to heading the Grand Targhee in a couple weeks though!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Rain in the Twin Cities today - fairly heavy this morning. Not sure what it did to impact the snow pack, but still...ugh. Have the day off tomorrow, but may skip the skiing and do some work on some things I've been putting off instead... Looking forward to heading the Grand Targhee in a couple weeks though!
    Wild, in their infinite wisdom, decided it'd be a good financial decision to be open yesterday, so I actually had to go out for my night shift. What a fuckin joke.... just watching them piss money away when there's just about a 2-1 employee/patrol ratio to skiers. The ticket counter said they'd sold 2 lift tickets since 3, and they were asking for a refund after 10 minutes. They lost a crap-load of snow this week - dirt coming through in quite a few places, and the runs are narrowing out. I'm sure Troll's snow is worlds better from what I saw on Sunday - as they look to have done a good job with their snowmaking this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_H View Post
    Wild, in their infinite wisdom, decided it'd be a good financial decision to be open yesterday, so I actually had to go out for my night shift. What a fuckin joke.... just watching them piss money away when there's just about a 2-1 employee/patrol ratio to skiers. The ticket counter said they'd sold 2 lift tickets since 3, and they were asking for a refund after 10 minutes. They lost a crap-load of snow this week - dirt coming through in quite a few places, and the runs are narrowing out. I'm sure Troll's snow is worlds better from what I saw on Sunday - as they look to have done a good job with their snowmaking this year.
    Troll was great wednes night when I was running OET. They shut down Thursday due to rain. With the cold coming, Troll is going to fire the guns up and refill and they are shooting for end of March closing.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Still recovering from pulled/ torn quad. Who would have thought that our current ( Feb of all months) weather made it possible to get a gravel bike ride in instead.

Came across the above photo from Welch’s Facebook page. Shows just how dry we are here in the Midwest.

Name:	Image1707604463.369103.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	459.6 KB 
ID:	486395
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Chestnut was fun today. Hanging on by a thread, but just enough for a great day. Snowmakers are on tap for tonight if it gets cold enough.

Last edited by uglymoney; 02-11-2024 at 05:07 PM.

Awesome! I’m skiing at chestnut tomorrow and Monday with the family. Ugly, If you are there tomorrow I love to take some laps with you. Hope they can blow some snow tonight

I'm self-deprecating and a shitty speller.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima gapper View Post
    Awesome! I’m skiing at chestnut tomorrow and Monday with the family. Ugly, If you are there tomorrow I love to take some laps with you. Hope they can blow some snow tonight

I'll be there in the AM till noonish. Departing early for super bowl. Yellow coat, black brahmas lapping chair 3 (Apache). Hit me up.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I'll be there in the AM till noonish. Departing early for super bowl. Yellow coat, black brahmas lapping chair 3 (Apache). Hit me up.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    I’ll hit you up. I’ll be in a yellow coat, blue pants and Midwest inappropriate skis.

We did hook up for a bunch of runs this morning. He let me ride his totally 'inappropriate' ON3P Woodsman. Definitely a nice ski and way more compatible with my skiing style than the Wren 98's I owned at one time that I just couldn't make work.

Nice to meet you IMA G! Thanks for the shout down.

The skiing wasn't quite as good today as yesterday, but that is good news in the big picture. The legit refreeze last night actually locked up more than just the top couple of inches, and they blew a little bit of snow on top. It was nice but the inconsistencies kept us on our toes.

Long range forecast is looking better for all of us!

Name:	PXL_20240211_175404046.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	486548

Name:	PXL_20240211_175417863.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	486549
    Wild was world's better Sunday, as they filled in some holes with the guns and did an adequate job with the groomer. Snow was kind of weird though, really sugary top layer that made setting an edge and carving a bit ponderous, so the slalom skis got traded out after a few runs for the teles. Sounds like they plan to keep adding some snow this week as they're able and get themselves into March at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_H View Post
    Snow was kind of weird though, really sugary top layer that made setting an edge and carving a bit ponderous
    It was kinda that way at Welch on Sunday too. Not cold enough to freeze the ball bearing together. I had the carvers out too, but switched to the Wingman 86's after the first session.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Hey Tom— thanks for subtly correcting me and showing pics of Competition and Expressway.

I had a great time skiing with Ugly$ on Sunday. It was nice to break away from the kids and ski a few hot laps. We stuck around to ski Monday since the kids were off school for Lincoln’s birthday. Chestnut was empty but they had blown a few inches Sunday night. They were able to open up crazy horse which was closed Sunday. Unfortunately by the time we left at 1:00 things were getting sticky and slushy. Either way the kids had a good time. I couldn’t keep the 5 year old out of the park. Although the only thing he would do is the big box at the top.

Hopefully they can blow snow all week.

Name:  IMG_5266.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  141.1 KBeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5258.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	655.9 KB 
ID:	486764

Trollhaugen

I skied the Troll today. I thought the snow was in great shape.

I was worried when I saw all the school busses in the parking lot, but the kids were nicely dispersed with no lines anywhere. Also there weren’t any people skiing the new Summit expansion, which was great for me.

Who knew Tuesday tickets were only $35!

I think the gravitation to terrain parks @ Troll always helps with the bus invasions for sure. Having the new chair will be a long term help too, I think. Looks like lots of areas are hitting the guns up for a couple days for a quick refresh, which is awesome. Hope to see mid-March in a lot of these places. A little natural wouldn't hurt, but DAMN if the outside Ops crews aren't busting their asses and killing it this year! BIG Kudos! They haven't had a lot to work with, but I'm really enjoying the "winter that wasn't" so far!

Off to Wydaho in about a week, and they've been getting some good stuff there, so pretty stoked about that.
    Gravity. It's the law.

How's it looking down there Ugly? Really wanted to hit Chestnut this year and thinking about making the run down for Friday and Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk