Page 484 of 533 FirstFirst ... 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 ... LastLast
Results 12,076 to 12,100 of 13318

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Anyone have a Push rear shock get creaky? I have had three on three different bikes and they seemed totally bulletproof and I never serviced them even.

I've been chasing this sound thinking it was the bushings/hardware. I put new rear bushings and mount bolt. Front hardware they sent me the wrong sized bushings. Riding today and stopping to take this video I think the shock shaft itself is the source of the noise and there is less low speed suppleness than there was before.

https://youtu.be/WUtxo3dmy_Y?si=0h5Osvamc6v19bFV

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    TLR

You probably just need more lube on your shaft.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I stand by my hot take. Lol. “Tedious” is a great description.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1696336588.653602.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	471451
    Those squiggles and that elevation profile are a devastatingly tedious combo.
    Then you finally get to the super unique scenic zone be where it goes downhill and all the pictures get taken and it’s a few blown out steep switchbacks and some more punchy climbs.
    The most fun riding was just smashing through the dry creek bed at the bottom.
    Don’t fret Schralph, I also thought MRT was meh 24 years ago on a ht with 80mm fork and v-brakes. Can’t imagine on a modern bike.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I can get shop deal on Santa Cruz and Rocky Mountain, I’m looking at either a Tall Boy or an Element. What do you like and why? Thanks y’all.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Anyone have a Push rear shock get creaky? I have had three on three different bikes and they seemed totally bulletproof and I never serviced them even.

I've been chasing this sound thinking it was the bushings/hardware. I put new rear bushings and mount bolt. Front hardware they sent me the wrong sized bushings. Riding today and stopping to take this video I think the shock shaft itself is the source of the noise and there is less low speed suppleness than there was before.

https://youtu.be/WUtxo3dmy_Y?si=0h5Osvamc6v19bFV

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    No idea, but I'd try a thin layer of grease between the coil spring, it's base plate, and the threaded collar.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I stand by my hot take. Lol. “Tedious” is a great description.

MRT was meh 24 years ago on a ht with 80mm fork and v-brakes. Can’t imagine on a modern bike.
    I didn’t say you guys were wrong, either!

Just depends on the experience you are looking for, and I’m sure the novelty factor, or at least the kinds of things each person appreciates about trails, makes a big difference. That’s why I brought up the comparison, a lot of people here don’t get the hype about the MRT. But I really think they are just so used to old growth and waterfalls and lava rocks here that the trail doesn’t really stand out that much. But man if you are from the Southwest I bet most people’s first time on that trail and it’s memorable and a standout. Clear Lake and Tamolitch Falls are geological wonders to me, and I love the razor sharp lava rubble on Clear Lake trail and the jank anti flow chunk of the segment below the Blue Pool … it’s not for everyone.

I rode this today and sent this pic around. Some friends said, “wow that’s so money!”

Another said “man that switchback must suck!” The glowing maples and moist loam clearly wasn’t doing it for him beyond the pure riding experience! It’s all good

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Another said “man that switchback must suck!” The glowing maples and moist loam clearly wasn’t doing it for him beyond the pure riding experience! It’s all good

Man, that guy must be a total tool - that dirt and the colors look positively psychedelic!!!
    sproing!

Ask the experts

Lolololol
    Busted!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I think southern Utah is gorgeous. But if someone wanted to see the cool canyon shapes and hoodoos etc, go hike at Bryce.

I also thought McKenzie River trail was dull after a few miles. Very pretty, enjoyable for five miles or so, but after 20 miles of the same stuff... Just not that interesting, and repetitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

FWIW, now that I live here, I’d never ride MRT from end to end. The best short ride is from the highway crossing at Coldwater Cove down to Trailbridge Reservoir. That way starts with nice flow following the river through the upper rapids, waterfalls, and then Blue Pool chunk to old growth finish. And for a longer, mellow riverside, but not wildly repetitive ending, taking out at Frissel Boat Launch is great. And/or adding the razor sharp Clear Lake section by putting in at the top TH.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

^^^ Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I’m more than happy to share more beta if you come back, there’s like 60 miles of trail within 30 mins of MRT that is really amazing (and not flat repetitive riverside riding), and then endless Oakridge riding where you can shuttle up to like 17k vert in a day.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I have a RaceFace Turbine R dropper that doesn’t reliably come up all the way anymore. I haven’t been able to find much in the way of parts, and it’s looking like it might not be a serviceable part. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    I have a RaceFace Turbine R dropper that doesn’t reliably come up all the way anymore. I haven’t been able to find much in the way of parts, and it’s looking like it might not be a serviceable part. Can anyone confirm/deny?
    Turbine R is just a fox transfer with different paint. Verify with fox, but their rebuild kit should fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Another said “man that switchback must suck!”
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    that dirt and the colors look positively psychedelic!!!
    That may be true but he wasn't wrong either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    That may be true but he wasn't wrong either.
    The best part is...I said both things!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    This is a VERY common problem when the weather turns colder, for some reason.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    If it's an Eagle drivetrain, the 2 things I always check first are the rear der mounting bolt, then b tension. Both loosen up regularly IME.
    Had to tighten both, thank you Sensei

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    The best part is...I said both things!
    nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Can someone give me an idea of how much torque a top cap needs to properly preload a Chris King headset (dropset)? It seems like on my bikes with IS type headsets (or bikes that have special cups that use IS standard headset bearings in them), I tighten them up to a point where they aren't really binding, and the headset is OK for a while, but eventually loosens up / the bearings bed in and I start getting a bit of a knock sound when the front brake is applied.

I'm guessing that too much torque will cause the bearings to be overloaded and then eventually loosen up. And too little means it will be loose from the get go. How much torque will be good for a long period of time without fucking with it?

Using a OneUp threaded EDC thing if it matters, and it seems like about 15-18 N-m of torque is what I need for it to be quiet initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post

Using a OneUp threaded EDC thing if it matters, and it seems like about 15-18 N-m of torque is what I need for it to be quiet initially.
    That seems like a lot. I can't say I've ever actually looked at the torque numbers for a headset top cap, but just going off of feel, I'd bet I'm generally well under 5 nm. Not sure about with the EDC, but with a normal setup, the star nut will start to slip at 10-ish nm.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That seems like a lot. I can't say I've ever actually looked at the torque numbers for a headset top cap, but just going off of feel, I'd bet I'm generally well under 5 nm. Not sure about with the EDC, but with a normal setup, the star nut will start to slip at 10-ish nm.
    Yeah, just going by the size of the bolt (if it were a normal star nut), it does seem like a lot. That's why I get so frustrated with headsets - going light = creaking, going heavy starts ok but gets creaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Yeah, just going by the size of the bolt (if it were a normal star nut), it does seem like a lot. That's why I get so frustrated with headsets - going light = creaking, going heavy starts ok but gets creaky.
    Maybe try adding one of those super thin spacers under the top cap? It's like a .1 mm metal washer. It's made all the difference on some bikes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Maybe try adding one of those super thin spacers under the top cap? It's like a .1 mm metal washer. It's made all the difference on some bikes for me.
    Yeah, that's solved it before in the past, but currently I have plenty of spacers. I add spacers until it's flush with the top of the steerer, then add my K-Edge mount (5mm) and the EDC cap. The whole thing compresses at least 2mm, so I've definitely learned that I need more spacers than you'd think.
    I just pulled it apart, wiped everything down, greased everything, reassembled, and then tightened the top until the whole thing no longer makes knocking sounds when I hold the front brake and push the bike forward. No idea what the torque value was, but a lot more than 5. It's about as much as I can do holding a ratchet right over the cassette lockring tool (so minimal leverage). The steering doesn't feel slow, and it doesn't knock anymore, but the whole procedure seems kinda... unscientific.

IME if I take off the front wheel off the fork its easier to feel if the headset is binding/ too tight

lota weight up thar eh ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 10-07-2023 at 09:16 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

IME using the EDC cap makes it feel like ‘way more’ torque is required to get it tight, but as you pointed out, kinda hard to get good leverage. I did same as you (tightened til it shut up), and ran it for a few years w/o issue. Let us know how it goes.
    If it makes you feel better, I just pulled my headset apart, cleaned/regressed, ahem, twice, chasing what I thought was a creak, only to realize after that I had air in my lowers, which was a ten second fix. FML. Either way, park bike is ready to go for last laps of the season.