Page 498 of 534 FirstFirst ... 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 ... LastLast
Results 12,426 to 12,450 of 13329

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm not really tied into trainers these days, but I've been thinking about getting one for the winter. Is there a such thing as a "dumb" (not smart) trainer anymore? I have zero interest in subscribing to a monthly program and riding with my virtual friends, I basically just want to ride my bike and control the resistance.
    Yeah, I'd check facebook MP or craigslist/pink bike, etc for your area for a bro upgrading to a wahoo or something and getting rid of a resistance trainer.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Anyone in Reno /Tahoe area want a free bike trainer? Simple rear wheel magnetic resistance thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Is it a bad idea to shim a 31.6 seatpost into a 34.9? Want to use a 170mm I have in the parts bin.

I'm not really tied into trainers these days, but I've been thinking about getting one for the winter. Is there a such thing as a "dumb" (not smart) trainer anymore? I have zero interest in subscribing to a monthly program and riding with my virtual friends, I basically just want to ride my bike and control the resistance.
    FYI you can use any smart trainer with a free app that doesn't even require internet access. It just controls the resistance according to whatever program you've chosen or created. There are several of these. I ride the trainer several hours a week during the winter and don't pay for anything or do any "virtual" rides.

Don't spend money on a wheel-on trainer! Wheel off smart trainers are quieter and MUCH more appealing to use, so you'll ride more and benefit more. The exception is rollers, of course, but they should be a supplement to a trainer to work on pedaling smoothness and balance, IMO.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

^^^this.... wheel off trainer with programmable resistance of the game changer. Online gaming aspect is not required but adds an element for me to ride much more than I ever did in the winter.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Is it a bad idea to shim a 31.6 seatpost into a 34.9? Want to use a 170mm I have in the parts bin.
    Usually fine. Sometimes you'll have issues with slipping, and sometimes you'll have issues with creaking. But often it's no problem at all. Not really gonna know until you try.

I'm running shims on both my bikes to go from 30.9 to 31.6 & 34.9. I had an issue with cheap silver Problem Solver shims slipping/creaking, but going to a black Cane Creek one works great.

What toast said. I’ve been doing it for 2 years. No problems. I use carbon fiber grip paste/lube to avoid slippage and creaks. Every few months I also pull out the seat post and shim to clean, lube, and ensure there’s no issues since water ingress is more likely. FWIW, I’m using the Cane Creek alloy shim.

So butchering a PBR can isn't going to cut it ?

I always wondered,

yes we should all have a tube of carbon grip paste
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

No way a PBR can is gonna work. Rainier can... maybe.

Sapporo if going 30.9 to 34.9.

I blew the damper on my Fox Float DPS Evol Performance after 2500 miles. Was so loud I thought I cracked the frame. I've done air sleeve services on it, but never rebuilt the damper. Not sure it is worth it (now that it is kaput).

Should I replace it with a new Fox Float X? 2020 Kona Hei Hei CR. I tend to rally the uphill and the downhill. Not much out there in a 190x45. Fork is at 140mm.

I'm thinking something with a external res. b/c the downhills here are loooong and more oil volume could help keep the oil temp lower.

Maybe RockShox instead?

Quote Originally Posted by donutlynx View Post
    I blew the damper on my Fox Float DPS Evol Performance after 2500 miles. Was so loud I thought I cracked the frame. I've done air sleeve services on it, but never rebuilt the damper. Not sure it is worth it (now that it is kaput).

Should I replace it with a new Fox Float X? 2020 Kona Hei Hei CR. I tend to rally the uphill and the downhill. Not much out there in a 190x45. Fork is at 140mm.

I'm thinking something with a external res. b/c the downhills here are loooong and more oil volume could help keep the oil temp lower.

Maybe RockShox instead?
    Id check the tune code and see if fox can get it close on a Float X. Otherwise if you want something more plush, a Super Deluxe will be great too.

Heh, My float on my hei hei blew up last summer. It is a common issue on those shocks, where the damper shaft just snaps off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220620_154409373.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	474746

Kind of waiting for it to happen again. Bill at fox was quite a bit for that one even with shop deal, but i did also have it revalved at the same time (digressive firm for better xc pedaling). Will send it in for service over the winter and maybe ask to have that shaft preemptively replaced. Been thinking about a new bike otherwise I'd probably go to a sidluxe and maybe a sid fork to go with it. Wasn't impressed with the fiddly bullshit in the fit4 damper that keeps sucking in air.

But, I also notice that most times when I take the linkages apart on the frame at least some of the bearings are fairly unhappy about turning, which would introduce a bending force into the shock. mine is also a 2020 and i've replaced all the bearings in the frame like 3 times now. The main bearings, and bearings in the linkage last longer. The ones in the top tube and seatstays seem to not want to turn as soon as you press them in, which i suppose means a slightly too close clearance there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Id check the tune code and see if fox can get it close on a Float X. Otherwise if you want something more plush, a Super Deluxe will be great too.
    Good info - thank you! I'll contact Fox and see what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Heh, My float on my hei hei blew up last summer. It is a common issue on those shocks, where the damper shaft just snaps off.

Kind of waiting for it to happen again. Bill at fox was quite a bit for that one even with shop deal, but i did also have it revalved at the same time (digressive firm for better xc pedaling). Will send it in for service over the winter and maybe ask to have that shaft preemptively replaced. Been thinking about a new bike otherwise I'd probably go to a sidluxe and maybe a sid fork to go with it. Wasn't impressed with the fiddly bullshit in the fit4 damper that keeps sucking in air.

But, I also notice that most times when I take the linkages apart on the frame at least some of the bearings are fairly unhappy about turning, which would introduce a bending force into the shock. mine is also a 2020 and i've replaced all the bearings in the frame like 3 times now. The main bearings, and bearings in the linkage last longer. The ones in the top tube and seatstays seem to not want to turn as soon as you press them in, which i suppose means a slightly too close clearance there.
    Woah - interesting! I haven't taken it apart yet, but by the sound of it - that is what happened. Helps me make the decision that I will not be doing a rebuild. Linkage has always moved freely on the bike with the shock removed, and I've replaced all the bearings once so far. Thanks for the info - will check them all again when I remove the dead shock and replace if needed.

Been thinking about a new bike, too, but I do really like this one for a semi-lightweight all-around rig. Corners like it is on rails with the way the back wheel stays planted. Maybe a Hightower would suit my needs better...wheel see.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220620_154409373.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	474746

Similar issues with bearings on my 2016 Hei Hei. First time I went to inspect them (granted, I'm second owner so maybe it'd been a long time) took the rocker link off, pulled the bolt, went to go pop out the driveside bearing and did a double-take when I basically saw dust where there should've been a bearing. Some of the others are also a bit notchy after pressing in, so I just try to pull the lip seals and re-grease semi frequently. The flex-stay provides a ton of support at what I think is the sag point. With the shock removed, the bike will sit right at that spot in the travel range. I imagine a lot of the bike's eagerness comes from that, but it also does a good impression of notchy bearings which means having to do a lot more disassembly to really know the current status. Maybe it also contributes to them actually becoming notchy. I dunno. Love the bike but mine is getting a bit haggard.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    FYI you can use any smart trainer with a free app that doesn't even require internet access. It just controls the resistance according to whatever program you've chosen or created. There are several of these. I ride the trainer several hours a week during the winter and don't pay for anything or do any "virtual" rides.
    Which app(s) do you use?

Which app(s) do you use?
    Garmin has an app (and I don't think you need to use a garmin computer for it to work).

I know I can control mine with my Wahoo computer--it will show watts/cadence and let me adjust resistance. Believe you can even get it to do automated workouts for free with a TrainingPeaks account (although they will try to sell you their wahoo systm training app/plan instead).

A lot of trainer manufacturers offer a free app too. My Elite came with or an app (phone/tablet/computer)--seems like it will let you follow various training plans, do some "video courses", or build a resistance ramp based on a GPS track you load in.

Supposedly this website works pretty well too without installing anything: https://flux-web.vercel.app/

Unfortunately this is like the absolute worst time to buy a trainer. The going price for Elite Direto XR-T is literally double what it was a couple months ago. I sold a BNIB one on here in August for $300 when some ebay sellers had them for 350 and now they are $699 everywhere.

The Elite MyEtraining app is good and super cheap.

TrainerDay is great and free (paid gets a ton more features).
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by donutlynx View Post

Maybe RockShox instead?
    I have the new FLOAT (not X) on my Epic EVO and it's significantly more plush than the the DPS that came off it, but it also doesn't lock out like the DPS if that matters. It does still get pretty hot and I can feel some performance fade / harshness during long and chunky descents. Better than the DPS though.

An input from folks on size medium bikes on preferred rear wheel size? I'm building up a medium V1 Druid and struggling on rear wheel size. I value cornering, handling and fun more so than downright bombing although speed has it's place as well. I'm 5'9" and currently have an Evil Calling (27.5 but giving to my wife) & and a mullet Heckler and wondering if I should go full 29er on the Druid or stick w the mullet. I've never spent any real time on a 29er to know if I'd prefer that or not. This will be a do it all bike (when not on the ebike) mostly trail riding but will have a handful of days at the bike park as well. I feel like if I was riding a large it would be a no brainer to go full 29 but not as sure w a medium. Any folks in my size have any advice?

I'm 5'8" so a solid medium, the 5.5 yeti it was mt first 29/29 it was an effort to get around switchbacks especaly at first

the bullit is a mullet and that bike is very snappy getting around the same turns

i'm sold on the bullit and mullets
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Also 5'8", always ride mediums unless the brand has weird sizing. I prefer mullets at this point. I *can* ride 29 (owned a couple) but I find mullets easier to move around on for my leg length, and appreciate less ass buzz on steeps. For our height, I'd only say 29 if: you raced, or you lived in a place with more rolling, flowy terrain (like CO).

5’7” - I’m happy on 29ers unless it’s a big travel bike. Bigger bikes I like the mullet.

Updated: I’m on a medium Sentinel, but also have a medium Dreadnaught. The forbidden is mullet. I’ve been happy on 29er trail bikes since the first Trek Remedy (2013, I think.) I road full 27.5 on the bigger bike until the legit mullet crop started turning up.

XXXer, I hated my 5.5 but that was mainly leverage curve related.
    Last edited by Eluder; 11-02-2023 at 07:38 PM.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I'm 5'9". 32" inseam. I waffle between mediums and larges, although I've been mostly on larges lately. Haven't owned a 27.5 wheel in years. 29" wheels buzz my ass almost never. Haven't spent enough time on a mullet to arrive at any definitive conclusions on the handling. 29's definitely prefer going fast and straight.