Page 447 of 534 FirstFirst ... 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 ... LastLast
Results 11,151 to 11,175 of 13330

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    How are you measuring pressure?

My floor pump reads 40 psi when my digital hand gauge (Topeak) reads 22 psi and my hand held analog gauge will read like 24 psi. The floor pump gauge also isn’t consistent…

I’m of the school of thought that everyone runs about the same tire pressure but measures differently. IE the people saying 35 psi in minions might actually be running the same effective pressure as people who say they run 20psi.

Rim damage on a hardtail at 25psi isn’t shocking though at 200lbs.
    Fair. You’re thinking the 7 year old floor pump that lives exposed, in the bed of my truck, for 5 months out of each year might not be accurate? It’s consistent and is the ride I like. Now you’re in my head though and will get a couple other data points just to know - I guess. I want to avoid a broken rear wheel 10 miles from a road. Toast seems right for a first try. Fiddle factor on inserts seems high if flatted on a trail and plugs don’t work. I suppose you just roll out though since you’ve got an insert?

Consistent is totally fine.

On mine I just know roughly 40psi is the number in the floor pump but ideally I have the handheld gauge with me. Most floor pumps seem to read higher than gauges and even nice gauges are easily 10-20% variance. A handheld gauge is a good tool to own as it does avoid wheel damage and let the bike ride its best.

Quote Originally Posted by powcom View Post
    Fair. You’re thinking the 7 year old floor pump that lives exposed, in the bed of my truck, for 5 months out of each year might not be accurate? It’s consistent and is the ride I like. Now you’re in my head though and will get a couple other data points just to know - I guess. I want to avoid a broken rear wheel 10 miles from a road. Toast seems right for a first try. Fiddle factor on inserts seems high if flatted on a trail and plugs don’t work. I suppose you just roll out though since you’ve got an insert?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yep - if you're running EXO at 25psi nobody is going to be surprised you're bashing the shit out of your rim, unless you weigh 110lbs
    This is a bit overblown. I ride a 155/170mm bike with EXO at 23f 25r. I weigh 170 and go fast and live in a place with many rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    This is a bit overblown. I ride a 155/170mm bike with EXO at 23f 25r. I weigh 170 and go fast and live in a place with many rocks.

Yep. I had the same for a 160/140mm bike. Likely fewer rocks but rarely had issues.

This stuff is highly personal. Most of my friends are Double Down casings, some with inserts. I run EXO/EXO+ at around 22psi rear and have minimal issues, granted I'm light at 150ish but... ???

I run the same pressure on the hardtail and trail bike, same as my bigger "Enduro" bikes. Ride the HT less aggressively so I guess it evens out.

Gonna be looking at the lightest weight insert I can find to try in the back but a Double Down casing will be the same weight gain.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

My Lezyne digital floor pump reads the same as the Lezyne digital mini gauge, Milwaukee 12v inflator, and Jaco dial gauge.

You guys just need better gauges. Prob take a look into the Tool Time thread for some inspiration.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I've gotten two punctures with an insert on my gravel bike. Both times I was able to stick a glueless patch on the inside of the tire and re-seat and inflate it and continue riding. Normally I would just try a plug first but these were dumb handmade challenge tires and sealant was spraying between the casing and glued on tread so I couldn't really get a plug in there. Also the first time I realized I'd forgotten my multi tool so I couldn't take the wheel off and that was my only option and it worked.

The other option is that the insert lives in the forest now and you put a tube in there. But it depends on the insert. I have a tubolight sl so it's pretty easy to deal with. Cush cores and heavier casing tires are much more of a hassle. I assume an insert is going to make most punctures more likely to take a plug vs a big pinch cut at the bead at least.

My topeak gauge reads the same as the other couple of topeak gauges i've tried so I stick with those. The cheap cannondale floor pump is pretty close to them too by my lezyne digital pump with a fancy silca chuck reads like 3-4psi higher, so that's annoying. Anyway, with a new tire I start with what I think will be about right and then adjust from there, and then once I have it figured out then I have a number to set them to on my gauge every time.
    Last edited by jamal; 07-10-2023 at 09:02 PM.

I’ve ridden out flat with Tannus Tubeless inserts twice now, and both times I was able to ride several miles without issue. It wasn’t fun, but the inserts kept the tire on the bead, and the insert and wheel were fine for reuse afterwards.

I have never flatted with cushcore pro, but I’d be shocked if riding one of those out flat didn’t go similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    I’ve ridden out flat with Tannus Tubeless inserts twice now, and both times I was able to ride several miles without issue. It wasn’t fun, but the inserts kept the tire on the bead, and the insert and wheel were fine for reuse afterwards.

I have never flatted with cushcore pro, but I’d be shocked if riding one of those out flat didn’t go similarly.
    I've ridden out with cushcore pro. It's fine, as long as the ride out is mostly downhill. I wouldn't want to do much of a climb on a flat / insert tire.

Also, this thread jinxed me. Started running an exo+ rear a week ago. Got my first flat of the season tonight. Guess I'll be going back to DD or heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    My Lezyne digital floor pump reads the same as the Lezyne digital mini gauge, Milwaukee 12v inflator, and Jaco dial gauge.

You guys just need better gauges. Prob take a look into the Tool Time thread for some inspiration.
    I hear this. Brand new topeak dual stage for pump reads a few psi higher (wtf!) than Jaco analog gauge and a no name Chinese digital gauge.

Might return the topeak and get the lezne digital floor pump. Thx for the beta.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I flatted the rear with DD and Cush Pro a couple years ago in a race. Perfect sharp rock cut the sidewall huge. Was able to finish the very long (19 minute) enduro stage and somehow miraculously MOVED UP two positions in the overall. I swear I just pedaled even more than I would have cause I was pissed and I had insane grip in that flat rear. Tire was done but the rim was fine. Without the insert I would have been toasted. Walking down the super long stage. Dead last.

Ask the experts

Says the ex pro, aka captain smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Without the insert I would have been toasted. Walking down the super long stage. Dead last.
    Or, my somewhat controversial take, without the insert you may not have slashed the sidewall in the first place.

I’m with toast. I hate inserts and prefer the ride of a heavier casing tire. Having said that, if you’re gonna run an insert, run one heavy/burly enough to ride out on cause carrying a sealant soaked insert out is the pinnacle of annoying shit.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've ridden out with cushcore pro. It's fine, as long as the ride out is mostly downhill. I wouldn't want to do much of a climb on a flat / insert tire.

Also, this thread jinxed me. Started running an exo+ rear a week ago. Got my first flat of the season tonight. Guess I'll be going back to DD or heavier.
    Toast, was this the new exo+ casing? Aside from the puncture, what did you think? Reviews seem to say they perform closer to the DD, and have better sidewall support than the old exo+.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Toast, was this the new exo+ casing? Aside from the puncture, what did you think? Reviews seem to say they perform closer to the DD, and have better sidewall support than the old exo+.
    Yeah, it's a new one. And I'd agree that it's more supportive than the old / original exo+, but it's still a good bit less burly than a DD. I was doing alright with ~25-26 psi in it (per my digital bontrager pump), whereas I'd usually go 23-24 psi with a DD.

The flat I got appears to have just been from a pointy rock stabbing its way through, so it might have just been unlucky.

I've been running a newer Exo+ on the front of my bigger bike for all riding outside of the bike park. So far I've had good luck with that - no flats while running 23-24 psi.

X2
    In fact, I'll go you one farther.
    I weigh 180lbs. I live in the sharp and steep of northern NM. I race enduro upper mid pack. My "riding style" has been called the equivalent of George Foreman's boxing style- None.
    ("Which one da referee? Cus Ima kill the other MFer")
    In short, I'm a basher.
    My current tires of choice are Tioga Edge22 2.5 front / Kenda Nev2 2.4 rear, both sub 1000 grams with only a thin Huck Norris (rear only). 23PSI/28PSI
    To many here, that would put me in the "I'm an Idiot" thread.
    But I've had no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, it's a new one. And I'd agree that it's more supportive than the old / original exo+, but it's still a good bit less burly than a DD. I was doing alright with ~25-26 psi in it (per my digital bontrager pump), whereas I'd usually go 23-24 psi with a DD.

The flat I got appears to have just been from a pointy rock stabbing its way through, so it might have just been unlucky.

I've been running a newer Exo+ on the front of my bigger bike for all riding outside of the bike park. So far I've had good luck with that - no flats while running 23-24 psi.
    Thanks, great feedback. My DHRII 2.6 front and rear setup Im going to try is exo+, because they dont make a DD in that size. Will see how it goes, but at least thats promising its more supportive than the previous exo+

Pick a pressure and be a dick about it.
    OR
    Pick a pump and be a dick about it.
    OR
    Pick a gauge and be a dick about it.
    I fell that as long as you have consistency and adjust your pressure from your “known constant” your good to go.
    All my Lezyne pumps are within 2psi at 80psi.
    And my Toepeak and PRO hand held gauges also confirm those numbers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9457.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	464665
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9459.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	464666

I got 2 or 3 of those 25$ beto floor pumps from MEC, they were so cheap buy a few eh

I think MEC sourced those from china cuz i've seen the same pump with cool paint/ logo of a chi-chi brand for more than double the price

so is the guage accurate ? well if I only use one pump(s) and they are consistent one might also ask does anyone really know what time it is?

I duno but they seem consistent and red is faster
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-11-2023 at 11:45 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    X2
    I weigh 180lbs. I live in the sharp and steep of northern NM. I race enduro upper mid pack. My "riding style" has been called the equivalent of George Foreman's boxing style- None.
    In short, I'm a basher.
    My current tires of choice are Tioga Edge22 2.5 front / Kenda Nev2 2.4 rear, both sub 1000 grams with only a thin Huck Norris (rear only). 23PSI/28PSI
    But I've had no issues.
    I'm actually impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    X2
    In short, I'm a basher.
    But I've had no issues.
    Have you tried the Edge22 in the rear? I use the soft up front and the older hard is collecting dust. Tioga should put that little mezcal worm strip center tread down the center gap and call it the rear.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Have you tried the Edge22 in the rear? I use the soft up front and the older hard is collecting dust. Tioga should put that little mezcal worm strip center tread down the center gap and call it the rear.
    I'm also on the soft.
    I can't imagine it working too well as a rear. You kind of need a center tread on the back when climbing.
    But man, is it awesome up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

On the subject of riding on a flat with an insert, for reasons still unknown, my rear tire went flat and wouldn’t hold air this evening, so I got another opportunity to ride 5 miles on a flat with Tannus Tubeless. I kept it mellow and slow, and it everything worked out relatively fine.

I’m suspecting rim tape failure, and kind of remember it being marginal last time I swapped tires. I’m currently out, and need to buy more. Is Stan’s tape still the move, or is someone else making better tape these days?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    On the subject of riding on a flat with an insert, for reasons still unknown, my rear tire went flat and wouldn’t hold air this evening, so I got another opportunity to ride 5 miles on a flat with Tannus Tubeless. I kept it mellow and slow, and it everything worked out relatively fine.

I’m suspecting rim tape failure, and kind of remember it being marginal last time I swapped tires. I’m currently out, and need to buy more. Is Stan’s tape still the move, or is someone else making better tape these days?
    I think the incidence of tape malfunction with inserts is higher. There's often more wrestling with the tire to shoehorn it onto the rim around the insert, and more aggressive use of tools. All of which increases the likelihood of damaging the tape.

Certainly avoidable if you've got your insert installation procedures dialed. But plenty of people (including myself) do not.

I've heard good things about whisky tape. I used MucOff last go round and it was OK.

Anyone have insights of if we will see a new Shimano drivetrain in the next few months?

Transmission seems “fine” but it’s really not what I need / want in a group.

Dream world would be an updated XTR drivetrain we’re on year 5 of the current group. Thinking of updating my XC bike.