Page 521 of 533 FirstFirst ... 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 ... LastLast
Results 13,001 to 13,025 of 13317

Thread: Ask the experts

Manitou is blowing out Mara Pros in pretty much all sizes.
    https://hayesbicycle.com/products/mara-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

^^^ Nice. Yeah, that's a better option than the Marzocchi I linked.

Lots of sizes sold out, tho.

Wanted a Mara for a bike I'm setting up for the old man since I dig mine so much. Alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Lots of sizes sold out, tho.

Wanted a Mara for a bike I'm setting up for the old man since I dig mine so much. Alas.
    What size are you looking for?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Favorite/most compliant 35mm bar with 20* rise?

I have a super base e*13 now that is pretty damn stiff. I have run OneUp before and know they are good so that is my first choice. Anything else I should be looking at?

Pinkbike rated the WAO 'Da Package'/77Designz as the most compliant in a recent review of claimed compliant bars. Note that it's actually 33mm with an integrated alloy shim out to 35mm. It's on the expensive side because it can only be used with the companion stem but DH rated. I'm running it and it's indeed comfy.

The 1Up bar was rated as the second most compliant in that review.

Beyond that I'm back to 31.8 on the rest of my bikes. No point to 35 really.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Favorite/most compliant 35mm bar with 20* rise?

I have a super base e*13 now that is pretty damn stiff. I have run OneUp before and know they are good so that is my first choice. Anything else I should be looking at?
    FWIW, I find the TrailOne carbon bars to be very similar to OneUp. I have both with 20mm rise and can't tell any kind of noticeable difference.

Relevant to compliant bars discussion:
    https://bikerumor.com/does-handlebar...io-blind-test/

This isn't an exhaustive test (didn't include many common brands like Renthal & Race Face), but is good for getting a sense of 31.8/35/carbon/alu in general.

For people wanting some compliance in handlebars, give these some thought. I know a few riders who swear by them. https://fasstmtb.com/collections/end...in-bike-enduro

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Relevant to compliant bars discussion:
    https://bikerumor.com/does-handlebar...io-blind-test/

This isn't an exhaustive test (didn't include many common brands like Renthal & Race Face), but is good for getting a sense of 31.8/35/carbon/alu in general.
    They touched on it a little bit in that article, but I'd really like to see someone try to quantify high frequency vibrations in bars. I think that realistically has more of an effect on hand fatigue than outright flexiness or stiffness. That test shows that a lot of the most common bars are within a few % of each other in terms of stiffness, but I'd venture a guess that there is a difference in how those bars handle vibrations. Someone with an oscilloscope needs to start going around smacking handlebars with a mallet and posting resonant frequencies. (I have no idea if that's actually a useful way to quantify handlebar vibrations)

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    They touched on it a little bit in that article, but I'd really like to see someone try to quantify high frequency vibrations in bars. I think that realistically has more of an effect on hand fatigue than outright flexiness or stiffness. That test shows that a lot of the most common bars are within a few % of each other in terms of stiffness, but I'd venture a guess that there is a difference in how those bars handle vibrations. Someone with an oscilloscope needs to start going around smacking handlebars with a mallet and posting resonant frequencies. (I have no idea if that's actually a useful way to quantify handlebar vibrations)
    Spank seems to have done some work on this: https://spank-ind.com/blogs/news/vib...e-inside-story
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Spank seems to have done some work on this: https://spank-ind.com/blogs/news/vib...e-inside-story
    Which is funny, because Spank Vibracore bars are, by a significant margin, the most brutal bars for my hands I've ever used. I don't know if that's because their product doesn't work as advertised, their conclusions as to which frequencies are bad were incorrect, or maybe I'm just a delicate flower. But those 31.8 aluminum vibracore bars were way worse than any 35mm carbon bar I've ever used.

Which is funny, because Spank Vibracore bars are, by a significant margin, the most brutal bars for my hands I've ever used. I don't know if that's because their product doesn't work as advertised, their conclusions as to which frequencies are bad were incorrect, or maybe I'm just a delicate flower..
    Yeah, my thought was if it worked well they would license it out to other manufactures.

Which is funny, because Spank Vibracore bars are, by a significant margin, the most brutal bars for my hands I've ever used. I don't know if that's because their product doesn't work as advertised, their conclusions as to which frequencies are bad were incorrect, or maybe I'm just a delicate flower. But those 31.8 aluminum vibracore bars were way worse than any 35mm carbon bar I've ever used.
    Oh shit. I put the 35mm alloy Spike bars on my hardtail before I was really thinking about such things. They're brutal. I now have a set of 31.8 Vibrocores and matching Split stem in the garage waiting to go on. I guess I'm gonna find out hahaha.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Ergon ge1s solved most of my hand issues. Subtle shaping, no crazy paddles.

I have analysis paralysis on forks. I’m really tempted by a mega sale Z1 for my next build, maybe coil, but will it feel too unrefined compared to higher end forks? I have a 36 with grip2 on another bike and it is… fine? I’m a set it and forget it rider but I do prioritize small bump compliance which the 36 does have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    What size are you looking for?
    210x50

Ask the experts

Any of you Hayes guys experience a leaky Dominion lever? I have a basically brand new lever that is leaking at the bladder cap. Any pressure at all in the system and DOT oozes out. Tightening the bolts did not help.
    Web search just comes up with a few of these experiences and answers like “Their customer service is great, just get it warrantied”….shades of 00s SRAM.
    So I took them off and installed my old Codes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Any of you Hayes guys experience a leaky Dominion lever? I have a basically brand new lever that is leaking at the bladder cap. Any pressure at all in the system and DOT oozes out. Tightening the bolts did not help.
    Not a Hayes guy, but are they missing the little O-ring around the bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Web search just comes up with a few of these experiences and answers like “Their customer service is great, just get it warrantied”….shades of 00s SRAM.
    So I took them off and installed my old Codes.

I kinda feel like everything under the hayes umbrella comes with slightly questionable quality control. Great products when they work, and their support seems pretty good. But lots of stories of things being not quite perfect out of the box with Hayes and Manitou products.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Not a Hayes guy, but are they missing the little O-ring around the bolt?
    Not leaking from the bleed bolt, but the at the whole bladder cap, held on by 2 bolts that tightened but didn’t solve it.
    I suppose I’ll open it up and see what it looks like, but I’m taking this bike to MX on Weds for Sarah Swallow’s Ruta del Jefe and don’t want to fuck around with it prior to that, so just swapped brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    I have analysis paralysis on forks. I’m really tempted by a mega sale Z1 for my next build, maybe coil, but will it feel too unrefined compared to higher end forks? I have a 36 with grip2 on another bike and it is… fine? I’m a set it and forget it rider but I do prioritize small bump compliance which the 36 does have.
    Mezzer Pro.
    Believe the hype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Probably a dumb question. My new frame is 203mm post mount. Can I run a 200mm rotor?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Probably a dumb question. My new frame is 203mm post mount. Can I run a 200mm rotor?

Damn. That should go in the rant thread.

Ask the experts

Need a torque wrench for the bike, the only thing my craftsman is maybe good for are the cranks. Should I just get a Park Tool one or look for something better/mo quality?

Also need to be schooled on grease. Are they all more or less the same or are there actual quality differences? Park Tool, Muc Off, etc.

eta: FWIW I’ve been known to be a buy once cry once kinda guy.

Is it Aluminum? You only have to take off 1.5mm....