Page 113 of 165 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 4118

Sure. Just call it Olympic Valley.
    Or rename it in tech speak: SnoMntyn? But yeah, get rid of the in-your-face slur like they should with the Washington football team.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ^^^^ highland lakes road off ebbetts pass. beautiful spot with mellow skiiing on folger and hiram peaks that should still have snow down to the road in spots. bring bathing suits to jump in the freezing lake after skiing. ive also see people bring an inflatable raft up there and ride it down the lakeside patch into the water. the idea was much better then the execution though.....hah!!
    Thanks for this!

Patches are fully...patchy....but good for a few turns and a fun day for sure, including the 13-week old pup’s first snow. Didn’t plan on that happening in June!

Hiram:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5595.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	379.8 KB 
ID:	332214

Last turn of the very strange 19-20 season.

Name:	IMG_5602.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	332215

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Sure. Just call it Olympic Valley.
    Or rename it in tech speak: SnoMntyn? But yeah, get rid of the in-your-face slur like they should with the Washington football team.
    Squaw is nothing like Redskins. Whether it’s offensive at all is debated within the community. https://indiancountrytoday.com/archi...kEaxKaUEa6kejg
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I'm glad to read that others are seeing unusual crowds this year as well. I rode over Rose then from Incline to Spooner on Fri and the parking/crowding situation looked as busy as I've ever seen it. Saturday we rode some tiny forest roads S of Strawberry and there was a ton of traffic, despite the road being barely wide enough for a sedan. The Bay folks are definitely not sheltering in place any longer.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Yesterday, somewhere off the PCT, above Upper Meadow Lakes Road, due east of Webber Peak (I was actually shooting for another zone, but got skunked by too much snow on the access road):

Name:	IMG_4638.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	332224

USFS campgrounds along 89 North were jam packed, too.
    Last edited by dookey67; 06-21-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Nevada County with 10 cases in 1 day--a record. We went from 41 to 75 cases in 2 weeks after no cases in a month. Private parties a big part of the surge.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Nevada County with 10 cases in 1 day--a record. We went from 41 to 75 cases in 2 weeks after no cases in a month. Private parties a big part of the surge.
    It's only going to get worse before it gets better it feels like.

BWC/BP region today.
    Still holding pretty nicely, but def would have been $$$$ Memorial Day or thereabouts (whenever they popped the second gate).

Name:	IMG_4644.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	332362
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

15 over the weekend in El Dorado Co. 9 of those in South Lake Tahoe. Not surprising since at work it's a constant influx of people from Arizona, Texas, all the California hotspots. Work is in NV so there's no mask requirement for guests, not that people are following it in Cali.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    15 over the weekend in El Dorado Co. 9 of those in South Lake Tahoe. Not surprising since at work it's a constant influx of people from Arizona, Texas, all the California hotspots. Work is in NV so there's no mask requirement for guests, not that people are following it in Cali.
    I'm guessing that most cases are locals. I'd be surprised if people are coming from out of driving range, maybe you know better. People from the bay and valley could be bringing it but those folks are getting tested back home. The cases here seem to be coming from private gatherings more than anything.

Went to Tacos Herrera today. The have it laid out nicely--hand sanitizer coming and going, enter up the stairs, exit down the ramp, marks every 6 feet. It's a deck covered by an awning so functionally indoors and some break in social distancing is inevitable paying and receiving your taco or ice cream. So this spandex clad 60ish asshole with a mustache he spends way too much time tending is blocking the top of the stairs, no mask of course, not even around his neck, waves me past him which is a squeeze, then heads down the up stairs. Maybe he's on the forum so I can give him a big fuck you.

I'm guessing that most cases are locals. I'd be surprised if people are coming from out of driving range, maybe you know better. People from the bay and valley could be bringing it but those folks are getting tested back home. The cases here seem to be coming from private gatherings more than anything.

Went to Tacos Herrera today. The have it laid out nicely--hand sanitizer coming and going, enter up the stairs, exit down the ramp, marks every 6 feet. It's a deck covered by an awning so functionally indoors and some break in social distancing is inevitable paying and receiving your taco or ice cream. So this spandex clad 60ish asshole with a mustache he spends way too much time tending is blocking the top of the stairs, no mask of course, not even around his neck, waves me past him which is a squeeze, then heads down the up stairs. Maybe he's on the forum so I can give him a big fuck you.
    Not me, I'm still in France

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The riots/protests have had an impact on the perceptions of covid and the severity/lack of severity of covid. The media can't give a pass to one group and expect all others to follow guidelines.

The media painted a picture that covid was a supervirus, but then said protests and riots were ok.

The country is catching on that this virus has been severely overblown by the media.

And in my lens of the world, the shutdowns are the exact definition of systemic oppression. I doubt this story will get much attention from the mainstream, and it will be forgotten soon. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u...nturn-n1189326 The link warns that 130 million additional people might be added to the brink of starvation due to the economic impacts of this mild to moderate virus.

So there's a big question we should all ponder. Do we keep restrictions and hinder the economy to save the old of the first world who by in large got a great piece of the American pie? Do we keep our economy in limp mode while sending brown and black and asian people all over the world into starvation by the millions?

The lives of the 3rd world are horrifically difficult yet we sit here in the 1st world listening to so called experts from the comfort of our living rooms with A/C and a fridge full of food. The thought of those in the world suffering due to our fears has helped me move past the fear and look at this whole situation from a different angle than the one the media paints.

In the end, we need to become healthier as a nation to really beat this virus or any other that comes in the future. If there was ever a time to get healthy as a nation, it's now. Age and obesity are THE MAIN contributors to covid severity. But, of course we won't hear that from the media.

Anyway, take your vitamin D. Get in shape. And pass that along to your loved ones. Dr. Rhonda Patrick discusses vitamin D3 and covid severity here: https://youtu.be/45rlZGRz6Qo

Cheers to having a Tahoe Ski Season this year!

^^^ wrong thread. Countries that have (or had) minimal lockdown or other mitigation measures to slow the spread of the virus are (or were) in really bad shape and getting worst: see brazil, India, and Italy.

U misunderstand beasley’s message. Here’s his own and more recent words: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...unger-pandemic

Yes the new cases are locals. My point is it is no surprise locals are catching it since there is a huge influx of visitors specifically coming from hotspots which would naturally cause a spike in local cases. It is no coincidence that the spike is coming two weeks after the town officially opened for business and it will get much worse. Yes people are definitely coming from out of driving range. I had several evening interactions with a cancer surgeon and his GI nurse wife from Arizona that were just escaping. She knew when she got back she would be moved to ICU or whatever they would be using as ICU and wasn't super stoked about it. Quite a few were from Texas as well as South Carolina and Oklahoma. They all seemed to be running from the virus itself since they're states are open. We also get many from the bay area and they are just over the lockdown which is still much more severe than here. Its spreading here and being dumped on us from everywhere else because because we're the ideal place to get away from it.
    It's just my opinion but I think we're fucked and only seeing the tip of the iceberg of what is already here.

edit- I should add I'm not blaming them for coming here, and they were all awesome, especially the Arizona couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    blah blah blah blah
    So there's a big question we should all ponder. Do we keep restrictions and hinder the economy to save the old of the first world who by in large got a great piece of the American pie? Do we keep our economy in limp mode while sending brown and black and asian people all over the world into starvation by the millions?
    Do you really think brown black and asian economies are shutting down because of our fears, and not their own??? Do you really think they're doing it to save the old of the first world? Do you really think Brazil's economy is doing fine?
    Personally, I didn't need the media to tell me that being healthy was the best way to beat this. Or really to tell me how to do anything.
    That goes for you to

The riots/protests have had an impact on the perceptions of covid and the severity/lack of severity of covid. The media can't give a pass to one group and expect all others to follow guidelines.

The media painted a picture that covid was a supervirus, but then said protests and riots were ok.

The country is catching on that this virus has been severely overblown by the media.

And in my lens of the world, the shutdowns are the exact definition of systemic oppression. I doubt this story will get much attention from the mainstream, and it will be forgotten soon. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u...nturn-n1189326 The link warns that 130 million additional people might be added to the brink of starvation due to the economic impacts of this mild to moderate virus.

The lives of the 3rd world are horrifically difficult yet we sit here in the 1st world listening to so called experts from the comfort of our living rooms with A/C and a fridge full of food. The thought of those in the world suffering due to our fears has helped me move past the fear and look at this whole situation from a different angle than the one the media paints.

In the end, we need to become healthier as a nation to really beat this virus or any other that comes in the future. If there was ever a time to get healthy as a nation, it's now. Age and obesity are THE MAIN contributors to covid severity. But, of course we won't hear that from the media.

Anyway, take your vitamin D. Get in shape. And pass that along to your loved ones. Dr. Rhonda Patrick discusses vitamin D3 and covid severity here: https://youtu.be/45rlZGRz6Qo

Cheers to having a Tahoe Ski Season this year!
    If you look now at new cases, they are mostly in developing countries, most of which had not much lockdown

Sadly, the US is pretty much on top with new cases, probably because the lockdown was not taken seriously.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Do you really think brown black and asian economies are shutting down because of our fears, and not their own??? Do you really think they're doing it to save the old of the first world? Do you really think Brazil's economy is doing fine?
    Personally, I didn't need the media to tell me that being healthy was the best way to beat this. Or really to tell me how to do anything.
    That goes for you to
    Economies are interconnected. We are a large economy that consequently affects the entire world. Our fears and over-reactions will be felt all over the world whether it's now or in the future.

Economies are interconnected. We are a large economy that consequently affects the entire world. Our fears and over-reactions will be felt all over the world whether it's now or in the future.
    same as our underreactions. numerous studies show that during the 1918 pandemic it was those that did not lock down that were hurt more severely economically than those that did. That will play out again. You just can't make other people play russian roulette the same way you want to. You can't make other people want to kill other people the way you seem to be comfortable with.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pedroda.../#2d5a2c8e797a

if I'm not mistaken, the world is mostly gasping in disbelief at our underreactions or misdirected reactions. Maybe Rod and others can shed some light on this, but that's the general take I get.

One interesting thought from a friend in another mountain town: People on vacation and visiting Tahoe/Jackson/CO/etc are the people least likely to take precautions. After all, they're the ones who already decided on vacationing during this anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if this is contributing at least slightly more to the increase.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Squaw is nothing like Redskins. Whether it’s offensive at all is debated within the community. https://indiancountrytoday.com/archi...kEaxKaUEa6kejg
    Actually it's pretty straightforward. If you read the Sac Bee article, the Washoe Tribal Historic Preservation Officer went on the record to say that he could retire happy if he was able to get Sq**w Valley and the businesses in the valley to change their name. The conversation should end there, unless you think the input from Indian-Country Today is more valuable than the input from a local Tribal Leader.

For the record, there are also plenty of articles over the Native American debate over whether Redskins is offensive. The problem for both the football team and the resort is that both are privately-owned entities run by white people. There's no reclaiming the word when it's a White corporation making money off the name. Change the name.

And don't let Sq**w Valley fool you into thinking this is something they've never been aware of before. The Washoe Tribe of California and Nevada has pushed for a name change for decades and the resort has consistently dodged the issue due to their branding. If they do actually change their name, it'll be because of the efforts of the Washo people and general public pressure, not because the resort had a change of heart.

Why do you think us BA people are getting tested back at home? I know no one that has been tested but 70% of the people I know have been out of their home county since mid March. Many of those went up to Tahoe. And none of those people have been tested.

Unless you mean they get tested when they get home and feel sick. But that does not stop them from going up to Tahoe before then, while spreading and tending their stylish mustache and wearing spandex and standing at the top of the stairs breathing virus out into the air. But, yeah, it is probably just the locals.

Why are you so sure that people are not moving this virus around? And yet you are happy that Trump is suspending visas? If you don’t think travel is an issue, why is foreign travel an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    ^^^ wrong thread.
    Amen. Post some stoke. Get out of whatever news bubble you're in. Go rant on the social meds or padded room if you must. This space is for reccs for bootfitting and tacos only.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Back in the Bay this week for work but been in Telluride for the last two weeks.

As of June 1st, everything is open there but with modifications. Indoors, gondola riding or public places such as a Farmer's Market mandate masks. All restaurants have been open for indoor social distant dining with some checking temperature at the door. Half of Colorado Ave (Main Street) has been closed off and tables have been set up so people can order food from any restaurant and take it to go. Pretty sweet idea and people have been talking that they should do this every year. There's free COVID testing at the hospital to whoever wants it. Only a few cases here and there due to young people having parties etc but all have been tested and followed with contact tracing/quarantine. Summer camps for my kids are a go with modifications. Skateboard camp, soccer, baseball is a go with limitations. My kids have not idea how lucky they are. Lift accessed MTB park opens June 25th and with the snow melting, I may have to buy a bike

I've been skiing but as usual, I rarely see any others but snow is melting fast except for the highest North facing aspects.

Name:	919A7B12-4CEE-4D18-86BD-54526259004A.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	332392

Name:	0540B816-E0E7-4A22-9CC9-5A3BE0275517.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	332393

Name:	9AD5B262-680F-465F-A418-5F9D801C97A7.jpg