Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: 1kg Boot thread

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Can anybody reasonably sort these by downhill skiing performance?

I'm in heavily punched tlt7s that have never really fit my feet. Looking at an 10-day-ish traverse this spring so it's probably worth actually buying a boot that fits! Just a liiiiittle more lateral stiffness and fore-aft support would go a long way over the 7s. Seems like any of these boots will skin comparably. I daily drive moment wildcat 108s with them and can have fun on bmt 122s, as well. I have a 110mm forefoot, narrow heel, average instep
    If you have wide feet I'd definitely cross the f1 lt off that list. It's narrow and tough to punch from what I understand.

Tlt x, summit, and 0g peak are all higher volume fits. I have wide feet and tried them all on and thought any of them would work with some punching.

My guess is that 0g peak and summit will ski pretty similarly based on side by side carpet flexing. Tlt x is definitely a little softer and has a more wiggly walk mode lock, but nobody seems to have the blacklight version which might be stiffer.

I ended up with the peak because it fit a little better. They do, however, run nearly a full size short.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Have you tried a Backland carbon? I have "normal" width feet but always need a 6th toe punch to be able to spread my toes, and they work well for me. Heel hold isn't great, but they ski ok. Durable

I’ve got some dynafit TLT 8s I’d like a comfier liner tongue in. How easy is it to Jerry rig something? I’d rather attach some extra foam or something to the tongues than swap liners, but I might end up doing that eventually anyway.

Anyone done something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    I’ve got some dynafit TLT 8s I’d like a comfier liner tongue in. How easy is it to Jerry rig something? I’d rather attach some extra foam or something to the tongues than swap liners, but I might end up doing that eventually anyway.

Anyone done something like that?
    Those stock liners are so thin and flimsy. I attached some foam to the tongues on mine with double-sided tape, but it only helped a little. There was still so much room elsewhere in the shell that I swapped in a pair of Pro Tours before taking them on snow. That made a huge difference, upgrading to GFTs last season made an even bigger difference.

Anyone had a chance to try on both the mtn summit and the 2023 backland carbon (no boa)?

Looking for which one has a smaller ankle pocket/ better ankle hold. Currently have dynafit radical pro and lange xt3 lv and end up touring in the lange way more because they fit way better. Swimming quite a bit in the radical, and figured I may as well go lighter in my actual touring boot since the crossover is working decent for me for shorter days.

Open to other suggestions as well, but I tried on the f1lt, one of the zer g peaks, and the dalbello quantum, all had too much room in the ankle, can’t find either the backland or the summit to try on.

Backlands seem to generally be the lowest volume, but I’ve heard the ankle on the summit is actually decently snug, and I don’t mind the wide forefoot.

And yes I know these boots are both a little over 1kg but the ski ability seems more what I’m after for driving skis around 100 underfoot

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    Anyone had a chance to try on both the mtn summit and the 2023 backland carbon (no boa)?

Looking for which one has a smaller ankle pocket/ better ankle hold. Currently have dynafit radical pro and lange xt3 lv and end up touring in the lange way more because they fit way better. Swimming quite a bit in the radical, and figured I may as well go lighter in my actual touring boot since the crossover is working decent for me for shorter days.

Open to other suggestions as well, but I tried on the f1lt, one of the zer g peaks, and the dalbello quantum, all had too much room in the ankle, can’t find either the backland or the summit to try on.

Backlands seem to generally be the lowest volume, but I’ve heard the ankle on the summit is actually decently snug, and I don’t mind the wide forefoot.

And yes I know these boots are both a little over 1kg but the ski ability seems more what I’m after for driving skis around 100 underfoot
    I tried them both on. They are complete opposites fit wise.
    I bought the Backland, because they fit my feet better than any ski boot I’ve ever tried. The Summit was so wrong for my foot shape that I didn’t spend much time trying it. I have narrow feet, both in the ankle, heel and forefoot. High instep. I get snug ankle hold, and a touch of room in the heel with thin-all-over socks in the Backland. Using socks with heel padding helps me there.
    I had Quantum’s before this, one size bigger, and the ankle was maybe a tiny bit looser.
    ZG Peak was pretty good fit for me too.
    Note, I am talking about the shells only. When trying on the boots, I used my already molded Palau liners, to get an apples to apples comparison of the shells.

Basically, I did not notice a big difference in ankle fit. Especially because all these can be snugged up with a buckle around the ankles.
    The bigger fit differences were the toe box, forefoot width and instep height, although with all these open top boots, that’s less of an issue.
    Last edited by Tjaardbreeuwer; 10-31-2023 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    I tried them both on. They are complete opposites fit wise.
    I bought the Backland, because they fit my feet better than any ski boot I’ve ever tried. The Summit was so wrong for my foot shape that I didn’t spend much time trying it. I have narrow feet, both in the ankle, heel and forefoot. I get snug ankle hold, and a touch of room in the heel with all over thin socks in the Backland. Using socks with heel padding helps me there.
    I had Quantum’s before this, one size bigger, and the ankle was maybe a tiny bit looser.
    ZG Peak was pretty good fit for me too.
    Note, I am talking about the shells only. When trying on the boots, I used my already molded Palau liners, to get an apples to apples comparison of the shells.

Basically, I did not notice a big difference in ankle fit. Especially because all these can be snugged up with a buckle around the ankles.
    The bigger fit differences were the toe box, forefoot width and instep height, although with all these open top boots, that’s less of an issue.
    Good to know, does the new lower buckle design on the backland push the ankle into the pocket decently well? I found the boa on the last design didn’t cut it for me, thats why the summit was intriguing since they claim some sort of ankle band helps keep you in place.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    Good to know, does the new lower buckle design on the backland push the ankle into the pocket decently well? I found the boa on the last design didn’t cut it for me, thats why the summit was intriguing since they claim some sort of ankle band helps keep you in place.
    Not really, the Z cable buckle on the Backland is in a pretty normal, forward, place on the middle of the instep.
    Scarpa Maestrale and Salomon Mtn Summit have that ‘ankle strap’ like a snowboard binding, that pushes your foot back.
    Basically the current Backland just has a beefier closure, but in the same spot.
    I went and tried it on (last skied this afternoon) just now, and ankle is nice a snug on my skinny ankle, but the Z cable just tightens on top of the instep, doesn’t push the foot back at all.

So if that’s what you are looking for,
    It sounds like a Mtn Summit would be better worth for you ordering somewhere and trying on. If it fits pretty well, you will not have to worry about Backland any more, they are so very different.
    Last edited by Tjaardbreeuwer; 10-31-2023 at 01:43 PM.

Light boot / ski matching.

I was looking at the following uphill/ touring focused set-up

DPS Cassiar 87t (87mm, 1205g) - ATK Trofeo 8 - Scarpa alien RS

The ski is wider than Scarpa recommend. Although I think it'll be fine.

Then I found a good deal on a Backlight 95 ski. I'll probably bump up to a ATK Haute route binding too.
    The backlight will be 4cm shorter, a whole 45g lighter, and only 7mm wider. But its definitely a stiffer more powerful ski. Do I need to rethink my boots choice?

Anyone tried on the various Travers boots? Is the grilamid GR model much less stiff than the carbon CS model? Can anyone compare fit to the Transalp? The Transalp is the first boot I've owned that legitimately fits right out of the box, and I'm hoping to find similar in a weight weenie boot.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Anyone tried on the various Travers boots? Is the grilamid GR model much less stiff than the carbon CS model? Can anyone compare fit to the Transalp? The Transalp is the first boot I've owned that legitimately fits right out of the box, and I'm hoping to find similar in a weight weenie boot.
    I have Travers CS and was looking to get away from the BOA. Broke 2 in 4 seasons, same boot. Thus, I tried the Transalp on. My Foot is on the wide side with a high instep. Definitely not a Scarpa foot. Regarding the fit of the Transalp when it was on my foot, I felt pressure on top of the foot in the metatarsal/cuneiform area. Long story short, ended up with a pair of Tecnica Zero G Peak Carbon's. They fit out of the box with the only mod being a Surefoot carbon insole. The Travers CS are very soft boots and have become my backup boots.

Since you like the Transalp, compare both the Travers CS and Technica Zero G Peak Carbon or non carbon model, side by each. Have patience putting the Tecnica on.

Anyone have any experience with the Dalbello Quantum Evo? The Lupo fits my foot fantastically, looking for something a little lighter. Not a lot of options to try stuff on around me.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Dalbello Quantum Evo? The Lupo fits my foot fantastically, looking for something a little lighter. Not a lot of options to try stuff on around me.
    You mean the "old" 98mm Lupo? The fit of the Quantum boots is quite different, you probably should order it from someone with free return shipping . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You mean the "old" 98mm Lupo? The fit of the Quantum boots is quite different, you probably should order it from someone with free return shipping . . .
    Yeah, the pre-redesign(?) for the current season.

Quite different is all I need to know. Thanks!
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Just sitting here waiting for a mag to retrofit F1 XT lower cables/buckles to their LTs…

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    Just sitting here waiting for a mag to retrofit F1 XT lower cables/buckles to their LTs…
    Yeah.
    I certainly do wish I would’ve known about those lower buckle XT’s when I bought my LT’s.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I’m realizing probably readily available next season after the inaugural year, but also probably available from a dealer special order this season if you ask nicely. I imagine not a huge weight penalty over the Boa, and still a quite a bit lighter than the XT when the retrofit is all through.

Keep in mind the XT’s have some plastic under that buckle that I imagine distributes pressure a bit more evenly. XT’s certainly seem more servicable over the long haul.

I have some F1 GTs on the way from Telemark-Pyrenees for a nice deal. I'll report back on them since there's very little info. It's basically the XT with a grilamid rather than carbon-infused cuff. So a little less stiff but maybe a little more "smooth". I hope they will fit.

Fit is great in these F1 GTs. Skied them on two big days already. I've never been able to do big days like this without any shell work, just a sock-method at-home mold of the intuitions. Maybe they are too big for me, but heel hold is surprisingly good in them and forefoot has the right amount of room. I sized up due to rumors of them running short and it feels right.

The boot is plenty stiff, feels very supportive but also very upright even at the max 13 degrees forward lean and with a spoiler. It will take me some time getting used to it. I skied them with my fat skis (184 x 108) on the volcano in good powder and with my skinnier boards (177 x 96) in corn/mush conditions. Both skied well at slower speeds. I think I will try and add a heel wedge and shim to reduce the volume a tad and maybe counteract the upright stance.

I'm guessing as the liner packs out that a beefier intuition, maybe a tour wrap, would make them ski better.

Actual weight is 1420 g with green superfeet, size 31.

FYI XT has 2 more degrees forward lean than the GT and LT models