Page 100 of 242 FirstFirst ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 6026
    Bought some 191 Mantra 102s to replace my 188 PBJs. I had been missing the more traditional feel of a powerful, flat-tailed, metal layup Volkl. Or so I thought. I skied them 10 days or so this season. They are incredible at high speed- powerful and so smooth. But I found them so shitty and harsh for playing around the mountain, especially coming off the PBJ.

Curious about whether I had made an error, I bought another pair of Pivots and remounted the PBJs, and skied them today. And holy damn, that is SUCH a fun-ass hardpack ski. Popping off everything, with a tail so sweet, and they still rail hardpack.

I am selling the M102s.

THANKS MOMENT for making skiing fun....ALWAYS!
    sproing!

Helping a lady ripper friend zero in on some new skis. She's like 5'1" and probably 100 lbs tops. Strong skier and currently on some Salomon Q 105 or whatever they were called in like a 167. She's still not decided if she wants a new do everything resort ski or a dedicated powder/soft snow ski. Skiing in the PNW. The Bella and Bella 116 came to mind. Are they just the Wildcat 108 and 116 shape and use wise? I assume 162 would be the move?

Seems possible but way less certain than previous years. Production costs are way up and demand seems to be there so why would things go on sale?

That ski is on back order at moment currently as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    Is there a chance to find a Wildcat 184cm discounted in a month or so on powder7 / Evo / Skiburger?. We are already mid-season and don't want to pay full price now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    Is there a chance to find a Wildcat 184cm discounted in a month or so on powder7 / Evo / Skiburger?. We are already mid-season and don't want to pay full price now.
    New pair in GS currently - not super cheap but less than retail: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Bought some 191 Mantra 102s to replace my 188 PBJs. I had been missing the more traditional feel of a powerful, flat-tailed, metal layup Volkl. Or so I thought. I skied them 10 days or so this season. They are incredible at high speed- powerful and so smooth. But I found them so shitty and harsh for playing around the mountain, especially coming off the PBJ.

Curious about whether I had made an error, I bought another pair of Pivots and remounted the PBJs, and skied them today. And holy damn, that is SUCH a fun-ass hardpack ski. Popping off everything, with a tail so sweet, and they still rail hardpack.
    I've had the same experience with my PB&J's. Skiing is always fun but it's just so fun on these. You can charge steep shit at surprisingly high speeds, dump speed super quick to do a 3 off a side hit, then land with stability at high speeds and spend the runout jibbing and buttering like a spastic 14 year old. I find now I'm searching for how to link up flowy lines with tricks in between the faster directional skiing I normally like to do which is in turn making me a way more versatile skier. Just wish I'd skied park more growing up so I could actually do cool stuff instead of trying to learn new tricks at almost 30
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    New pair in GS currently - not super cheap but less than retail: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=wildcat
    I saw it and that's exactly the setup I want but I already have the Pivot 15 (bought them for 230$) so, it will be cheaper for me to buy them brand new and have them mounted at the factory than pay 900$ plus shipping.

Can anyone compared the Commander 98 and 108 to similar skis? Bonafide? M5? Mantra 102? Ranger 99ti/ 107ti? Katana 108?

Longer radius on the Commanders is appealing.

I tried some Enforcer 104 Frees to start the season, hoping it would be fun for skiing with a 6 year old, but still enjoyable when skiing without him. Didn't get along with the shorter radius and dramatic tail rocker.

Skis I love, and why they don't work for this application:

185 Cochise (I'd get the new ones, but they've always been really boring on mellow terrain)
    188 Rustler 11's (width is annoying for noodling around with a kid)
    178 Zero G 108 and 180 Zero G 105 (these were good for skiing with a kid, but, not surprisingly, lighter than I want for resort laps, plus they have minimalist tech bindings on them)

Skis that worked pretty well for skiing with kid and on my own:

181 QST 106's (mounted with Tectons) are my heavy touring skis. They are pretty damn good for the kid skiing part. Good in bumps but could use a bit more top end though. I can ski a good bit faster on the Rustler 11's in rough snow. I've thought about getting the newer, heavier 188 QST's and mounting with alpine bindings since the shape works (20+ m radius, moderate tip and tail rocker). But if I'm not skiing powder I usually like skis that are a bit shorter, but ski long. I care about performance in funky 3D snow, but not powder. If there is pow I'll bring something wider.

So, can either of the Commanders have fun noodling around, then go make big turn in open terrain on not-great snow? Or do they need some speed to wake up. The Rustler 11's are the bench mark for me, just too wide for skiing with my boy.

Thanks in advance.

Will there be a Ghost Train release this year?

I will commander these planks sir!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612317294.754518.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	361013

Quote Originally Posted by possum View Post
    If there is you should for sure jump on it. I was bugging Melee all last season and have been in love with my 194s. They are by far my favorite pow ski of all time. A deathwish for the deep and then some.

They had a pair on the wall when I was last there a week or so ago. Call/email them!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Can anyone compared the Commander 98 and 108 to similar skis? Bonafide? M5? Mantra 102? Ranger 99ti/ 107ti? Katana 108?

Longer radius on the Commanders is appealing.

I tried some Enforcer 104 Frees to start the season, hoping it would be fun for skiing with a 6 year old, but still enjoyable when skiing without him. Didn't get along with the shorter radius and dramatic tail rocker.

Skis I love, and why they don't work for this application:

185 Cochise (I'd get the new ones, but they've always been really boring on mellow terrain)
    188 Rustler 11's (width is annoying for noodling around with a kid)
    178 Zero G 108 and 180 Zero G 105 (these were good for skiing with a kid, but, not surprisingly, lighter than I want for resort laps, plus they have minimalist tech bindings on them)

Skis that worked pretty well for skiing with kid and on my own:

181 QST 106's (mounted with Tectons) are my heavy touring skis. They are pretty damn good for the kid skiing part. Good in bumps but could use a bit more top end though. I can ski a good bit faster on the Rustler 11's in rough snow. I've thought about getting the newer, heavier 188 QST's and mounting with alpine bindings since the shape works (20+ m radius, moderate tip and tail rocker). But if I'm not skiing powder I usually like skis that are a bit shorter, but ski long. I care about performance in funky 3D snow, but not powder. If there is pow I'll bring something wider.

So, can either of the Commanders have fun noodling around, then go make big turn in open terrain on not-great snow? Or do they need some speed to wake up. The Rustler 11's are the bench mark for me, just too wide for skiing with my boy.

Thanks in advance.
    The CMD 98 was my GoTo 5-7 yo ski. It could play in tree & noodle in the mini parks, then point & shoot when you get a free lap solo. I have found that the CMD98 & 108 are temperamental to the clamp selection, Warden13’s were fair, Attacks too low, but the STH16 were $$$$! Don’t bother w AT.

My kids are lil older now & for some reason I picked up the CMD108 in a 194 & found that with the steering of the STH16, you can pretend to dad jib & haul the fall line like a maniac. I’ve also found that by detuning the shovels, they are easier to pivot slow & less twitch at speed. As for a closest comparison, perhaps the Mantra 102... perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    The CMD 98 was my GoTo 5-7 yo ski. It could play in tree & noodle in the mini parks, then point & shoot when you get a free lap solo. I have found that the CMD98 & 108 are temperamental to the clamp selection, Warden13’s were fair, Attacks too low, but the STH16 were $$$$! Don’t bother w AT.

My kids are lil older now & for some reason I picked up the CMD108 in a 194 & found that with the steering of the STH16, you can pretend to dad jib & haul the fall line like a maniac. I’ve also found that by detuning the shovels, they are easier to pivot slow & less twitch at speed. As for a closest comparison, perhaps the Mantra 102... perhaps.
    Did you mount them on the line?

Why would they be temperamental to clamp selection? Stack height has to be "just right"?

^ on the line for the ‘21’s ; -1 cm for ‘20s

Went +2 in the 19s & regretted it.

Stack is key. It’s a big ski in either width.

^ on the line for the ‘21’s ; -1 cm for ‘20s

Went +2 in the 19s & regretted it.

Stack is key. It’s a big ski in either width.
    Got it, was just thinking I could just remount the heels on those 98s in gear swap and end up with a +1cm. -10cm seems far back for me since I like progressive skis, but I want to try more of a charger than the WC108

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Helping a lady ripper friend zero in on some new skis. She's like 5'1" and probably 100 lbs tops. Strong skier and currently on some Salomon Q 105 or whatever they were called in like a 167. She's still not decided if she wants a new do everything resort ski or a dedicated powder/soft snow ski. Skiing in the PNW. The Bella and Bella 116 came to mind. Are they just the Wildcat 108 and 116 shape and use wise? I assume 162 would be the move?
    My wife is 4'10" 95 lbs and has the Bella 106 / 152 cm. She loves them in all conditions, its her everyday skis unless its a strictly high speed groomer day. On those days she will use her 162 Sierra's. The Sierra's are just a bit long for her off trail.

Also our 11 yo granddaughter has the 162 Bella which is her only ski. She is tall, 5'3" / 115 lbs for a 11 year old. She is a ripper, racer that skis everything. Bought them back in early January and she was able to demo a pair. Coming off her GS race skis it took her half a run to say she loved the Bella's. She did not have an opportunity to use them in deep powder but considering they are 108 underfoot I am sure they will perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I will commander these planks sir!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612317294.754518.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	361013
    Someone needs to appreciate what you did there with the binding cross color-matching to the top sheets, so I'll point it out.

They were available on the website most of the year. We just took them down a month or so ago.

We do have a pair (maybe two) of 194's available. All sold out of the 186.

No plans to make more on the calendar at this time. Too busy making other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    They were available on the website most of the year. We just took them down a month or so ago.

We do have a pair (maybe two) of 194's available. All sold out of the 186.

No plans to make more on the calendar at this time. Too busy making other stuff.
    I know its been about 5 years, but have you guys considered doing another M1 pressing and putting them in the reserve section? The clan of GarBoners would be excited.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    I know its been about 5 years, but have you guys considered doing another M1 pressing and putting them in the reserve section? The clan of GarBoners would be excited.
    Nah. The new Commander is superior in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Nah. The new Commander is superior in so many ways.
    True. I do love my new Commander 108s, but I am also so nostalgic for the Garbones haha

Just ordered a set of Wildcat 108s - I've got about 3 weeks before they arrive...can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Got it, was just thinking I could just remount the heels on those 98s in gear swap and end up with a +1cm. -10cm seems far back for me since I like progressive skis, but I want to try more of a charger than the WC108

The new ‘21 tail is nearly flat, so -10 is legit

The new ‘21 tail is nearly flat, so -10 is legit
    Agreed. The current -10cm mountpoint is dialed. I feel very comfortable there.

If memory serves Luke said at some point (maybe on Blister?) that they played with the sidecut or shape so even the -10 mount on the new commanders felt more like a progressive mount. I expect that you'd be fine going +1 or something, but Luke seemed to think that folks really shouldn't be going too far forward.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    My wife is 4'10" 95 lbs and has the Bella 106 / 152 cm. She loves them in all conditions, its her everyday skis unless its a strictly high speed groomer day. On those days she will use her 162 Sierra's. The Sierra's are just a bit long for her off trail.

Also our 11 yo granddaughter has the 162 Bella which is her only ski. She is tall, 5'3" / 115 lbs for a 11 year old. She is a ripper, racer that skis everything. Bought them back in early January and she was able to demo a pair. Coming off her GS race skis it took her half a run to say she loved the Bella's. She did not have an opportunity to use them in deep powder but considering they are 108 underfoot I am sure they will perform well.
    Saw your post about your granddaughter's skis. I'm pretty sure the 152 along with the progressive mount and a good amount of tip/tail rocker would be too short for my friend. I think her current Q105s are like 167 or something. Probably long but she manages.

I was hoping to find some feedback on the Bella 108 vs 116 regarding intended use. At her weight the 108 likely provides all the float she'd ever need, but it's not clear if the 116 is just a wider 108 or if there are other design characteristics that make it more well suited to a pow day ski.