Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ZERMATT

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Ho much do you think it might cost for a single person to stay there for a full month, assuming 5 days / week? Just a rough guess. Thanks!
    If money’s tight a cheaper option would be too stay somewhere like Sion, buy a Magic Pass and ski a bunch of resorts in the Valais. Zermatt is great but needs a lot of snow for the off piste routes and you could just do a couple of good weather days there rather than the full month

I was lucky to stay at Paradies apartment hotel in Zermatt. Great location, close to the gondola, and run by a friendly family. Good coffee at Petit Royal on the main street.

Leavenworth, if you are planning this as an add-on to Euro BBI, note the Glacier Express train schedule. It appears that on the St. Moritz to Zermatt direction of that trip, you have stops at Disentis at 12:27 and 13:37 and in Andermatt at 13:52 and 14:52 with arrivals in Z at 17:10, 18:10. So, if you do the later of the 2 trains, you can ski a good chunk of the day, then get a direct train to Z for arrival in time for dinner.

complete schedule here: https://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/tra...ng/timetables/

[QUOTE=Mr. Mike;5464108]Leavenworth, if you are planning this as an add-on to Euro BBI, note the Glacier Express train schedule. It appears that on the St. Moritz to Zermatt direction of that trip, you have stops at Disentis at 12:27 and 13:37 and in Andermatt at 13:52 and 14:52 with arrivals in Z at 17:10, 18:10. So, if you do the later of the 2 trains, you can ski a good chunk of the day, then get a direct train to Z for arrival in time for dinner.

complete schedule here: https://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/tra...ng/timetables/[/QUOTE
    Glacier express is just a Jap tourist trap, you have to check the Gotthard Matterhorn bahn. There’s a train every hour departing Sedrun. Your best bet is to catch it at 5.30 pm

[QUOTE=vendul;5464121]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Leavenworth, if you are planning this as an add-on to Euro BBI, note the Glacier Express train schedule. It appears that on the St. Moritz to Zermatt direction of that trip, you have stops at Disentis at 12:27 and 13:37 and in Andermatt at 13:52 and 14:52 with arrivals in Z at 17:10, 18:10. So, if you do the later of the 2 trains, you can ski a good chunk of the day, then get a direct train to Z for arrival in time for dinner.

complete schedule here: https://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/tra...ng/timetables/[/QUOTE
    Glacier express is just a Jap tourist trap, you have to check the Gotthard Matterhorn bahn. There’s a train every hour departing Sedrun. Your best bet is to catch it at 5.30 pm
    I'm getting 4 h 43 minutes Sedrun to Zermatt with that. I'll take the japs and the extra 1.5 hours of my life. What am I missing?

It's the same train line, maybe the GE has better or fewer changes?

Honestly, I'm surprised there's any difference.

On the GE timetable, I see leave Disentis 15.37, leave Andermatt 17.08, arrive Zermatt 20.10 but I studied algebraic topology and fried my photographic memory in colleDge.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ... but I studied algebraic topology and fried my photographic memory in colleDge.
    I'm going to ask my wife to knit you a Klein Bottle hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I'm going to ask my wife to knit you a Klein Bottle hat.
    Here's the pattern, just match up the arrow directions as each opposing edge is sewn into the other.

[QUOTE=Mr. Mike;5465238]
    Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post

I'm getting 4 h 43 minutes Sedrun to Zermatt with that. I'll take the japs and the extra 1.5 hours of my life. What am I missing?
    The main differences are:
    40chf per person, for a couple is almost one night lodging
    There's a train every hour which gives you more flexibility
    You are able to get a ticket whenever you choose.. GE is usually full
    At this point 1,5 hours thrown away are not that bad... no?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Here's the pattern, just match up the arrow directions as each opposing edge is sewn into the other.
    😁

[QUOTE=Mr. Mike;5465238]
    Quote Originally Posted by vendul View Post

you are looking at the summer schedule Buster. page down a bit to get the winter version.

[QUOTE=Mr. Mike;5468038]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post

you are looking at the summer schedule Buster. page down a bit to get the winter version.
    GE winter:
    Disentis Mustér dep 12.37 dep 13.37
    Zermatt ……………..arr 17.10 arr 18.10

Elapsed time: 4:43 4:43

Current SBB :
    Disentis Mustér dep 15:14 dep 16:14
    Zermatt...………. arr 20:14 arr 21:14

Elapsed time: 5 hours.

So what I was trying to get at is that I only see a 17 minute difference between the GE winter& summer schedule and the current SBB schedule, not 1.5 hours.
    On most of the SBB Gotthardbahn, you have to change trains twice and at least once.

It's thoroughly possible that I'm missing the point since my head ends in one lots of times.

In any event, that train ride is easy and beautiful. I tend to steer away from the destination places for longer visits though.

Planning a last-minute 2 week trip to Europe with the wife (very belated honeymoon). Her must-see over there is Paris. My must see are the alps, thinking Zermatt would be a the natural, 2-americans-on-a-honeymoon tourist-trap choice. Also I see they are already skiing there.

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Pack...y-Skiing-Weeks

Background: the wife learned to ski last winter because she knew it was a prerequisite for marrying me. But she's still very very very much a beginner. Like, 120 cm rental skis beginner (she's 5'3"). She is comfortable on greens at places like Magic, Bretton Woods, and Sunapee in New England, and when she's feeling adventurous she gets down the easier blues ok.

Question: Will I end up divorced if I make her ski the Theodul Glacier with me? (According to the site that's where the early season skiing is, but educate me if I'm wrong). From the pics it looks pretty flat, nicely groomed, etc. I think she could do it. But wtf do I know? I've got an ominous feeling that we might get to the top with skis on our feet and we never make it to the bottom.

Alternatively, is Zermatt cool/beautiful/entertaining enough that I could abandon her for a few hours to take a few laps without pissing her off?

I know the skiing will suck (relative to mid winter). I know it's $$$. And I know I'm playing with fire dragging the missus along. I don't care. This may be my last chance to ski the alps until I'm 60.

Paris is great, stay in the Latin Quarter, walk around a lot. Hit the Musee d'Orsay for impressionists, the Louvre for the classics and l'Orangerie for the Monet mural. It's expensive. Davide Toutain is the killer deal for the mondogourmando meal. It's also overwhelming. Learn to use the metro. Hotel Central Saint Germain, Paris was decent pricewise, not fancy though.

We liked Dijon a lot too, more low key, much less expensive, tons of medieval timber buildings, cool narrow cobbled streets, second best art museum in France, the Musée des Beaux-Arts, seat of the Dukes of Burgundy. Right next to Burgundy, the Cote des Nuits and Beaune, amazing wine and food region. Could do that en route to Zermatt for a couple of days with nice train connections.

I don't know much about Zermatt piste skiing, what I saw of the Theodul from the Klein Matterhorn tram looked relatively flat. The cable car itself is pretty cool, blasted into the rock with several observation decks. I have limited experience in the town as well. I liked the weathered wood and stone architecture. There's lots of places to spend money. I have learned not to force anything on my partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    Planning a last-minute 2 week trip to Europe with the wife (very belated honeymoon). Her must-see over there is Paris. My must see are the alps, thinking Zermatt would be a the natural, 2-americans-on-a-honeymoon tourist-trap choice. Also I see they are already skiing there.

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Pack...y-Skiing-Weeks

Background: the wife learned to ski last winter because she knew it was a prerequisite for marrying me. But she's still very very very much a beginner. Like, 120 cm rental skis beginner (she's 5'3"). She is comfortable on greens at places like Magic, Bretton Woods, and Sunapee in New England, and when she's feeling adventurous she gets down the easier blues ok.

Question: Will I end up divorced if I make her ski the Theodul Glacier with me? (According to the site that's where the early season skiing is, but educate me if I'm wrong). From the pics it looks pretty flat, nicely groomed, etc. I think she could do it. But wtf do I know? I've got an ominous feeling that we might get to the top with skis on our feet and we never make it to the bottom.

Alternatively, is Zermatt cool/beautiful/entertaining enough that I could abandon her for a few hours to take a few laps without pissing her off?

I know the skiing will suck (relative to mid winter). I know it's $$$. And I know I'm playing with fire dragging the missus along. I don't care. This may be my last chance to ski the alps until I'm 60.
    It's super flat up there on the glacier. It's also fairly boring and can be incredibly windy. How soon are you guys going? Now isn't a great time to visit the Alps weather wise, and Paris to Zermatt is a serious trip. With all the great things there are to do in Europe, assuming your visit is soon, I would lean towards something else and save Zermatt for a later trip at a time when the whole mountain is open and your wife has more experience skiing.

You are correct. I think I was coming up with the bigger time difference because I was looking at Disentis to Zermatt on Vendul's link, but looking at Andermatt to Zermatt on the GE timetable. The time difference is minor when you compare apples to apples.

I'm considering tacking on Zermatt because my wife hasn't been there, it's scenic, and she has heard of it and therefore would enjoy telling people that's where she was going/had been. If it were just me, I wouldn't go anywhere--plenty to ski around Andermatt for a week. I'm not expecting to make the call regarding the add on location until much later though so I can factor conditions and weather into the analysis.

Paris:
    I lived over there for half a year and indeed can recommend to stay close to the center (Let's call Notre Dame / Ile de la Cité the center here). But with the metro you will be quick to drive around, too so don't worry to much but definitely try to stay inside the "Peripherique" (this is of mayor importance!)

Maybe consider the "Marais" as there are a lot of nice restaurants and than you can walk back to the hotel. Are you ok with rental bikes? Taxis are hard to get and the metro stops around midnight (or something like this).

Talking about the Metro: you want to buy a "carnet". This is 10 single ride tickets (you may change lines and keep going of course) at once. If you have taken the metro 10 times, buy a new carnet at the vending machine. This is easy.

Talking of restaurants: don't plan to eat at the Monmatre (my advice, but never found anything good there).

What are you guys into (Old stuff, modern architecture, painting, party...)? How long do you stay?

Zermatt: this glacier is flat.

Paris to Zermatt: seems doable but I am not sure if it would not be easier to stay in france, like portes du solei or something.
    Last edited by LeoK; 10-16-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Thank for the tips, guys. We're throwing this trip together very last minute. Looking to fly out of Boston Nov 5ish. Last night I was looking at trains from Paris to Zermatt, and it's not easy at all. You guys are right - we're going to save the Alps for another trip.

I appreciate all of the Paris intel, as well. Didn't mean to hijack the Zermatt thread with Paris chatter. That said...

My wife did a 5 week summer program in Paris back in college, so she knows it decently well (not like you guys, but we'll manage, I'm sure). We'll probably spend the first week or so there, then take a day to get down to Italy. Florence and/or Rome. We'll be focusing on art, architecture, history, and of course good food. In other words, "Western Civ," I suppose.

Again - thanks everybody for all the suggestions. I'm sure you've got more, but no need to pollute this thread with them. Feel free to PM me though.

Enjoy the alps. Hopefully one day I'll join you out there!

Thank for the tips, guys. We're throwing this trip together very last minute. Looking to fly out of Boston Nov 5ish. Last night I was looking at trains from Paris to Zermatt, and it's not easy at all. You guys are right - we're going to save the Alps for another trip.

I appreciate all of the Paris intel, as well. Didn't mean to hijack the Zermatt thread with Paris chatter. That said...

My wife did a 5 week summer program in Paris back in college, so she knows it decently well (not like you guys, but we'll manage, I'm sure). We'll probably spend the first week or so there, then take a day to get down to Italy. Florence and/or Rome. We'll be focusing on art, architecture, history, and of course good food. In other words, "Western Civ," I suppose.

Again - thanks everybody for all the suggestions. I'm sure you've got more, but no need to pollute this thread with them. Feel free to PM me though.

Enjoy the alps. Hopefully one day I'll join you out there!
    How are you planning on getting to Italy? As Hannibal found out the direct route goes straight through the Alps, and in fact the train literally passes next door to Zermatt on the route via the Simplon pass

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    How are you planning on getting to Italy? As Hannibal found out the direct route goes straight through the Alps, and in fact the train literally passes next door to Zermatt on the route via the Simplon pass
    Well I guess he will not travel by an army of elephants. Trains, cars, airplanes don't use the Simplon to travel from Paris anywhere in Italy anymore. This would be a big detour (not in meters but in time)

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    Well I guess he will not travel by an army of elephants. Trains, cars, airplanes don't use the Simplon to travel from Paris anywhere in Italy anymore. This would be a big detour (not in meters but in time)
    We were planning to go by train, actually, but haven't made reservations yet. So plane is still an option, too. Is there a good way to get a taste of the alps on the way into Italy, without burning a ton of time, or arriving in italy totally exhausted?

We were planning to go by train, actually, but haven't made reservations yet. So plane is still an option, too. Is there a good way to get a taste of the alps on the way into Italy, without burning a ton of time, or arriving in italy totally exhausted?
    Yes.

There's a bunch of options including Verbier, Gstaad and Zermatt in Switzerland, which are each really expensive or going through the Simplon tunnel and getting out at Preglia or Domodossola in Italy. Zermatt is the furthest from the main line with Verbier and Gstaad a little easier.

Here's a link to the sbb site that has maps one can download. You want https://www.sbb.ch/content/dam/infra...bbdownload.pdf .

The towns along the main train line in Switzerland from Martigny to Brig are not particularly pretty.

Brig is where the Simplon tunnel starts. Iselle is the first town in Italy where one can get off that train, but there's not much there.

The next towns in Italy, Preglia and Domodossola are still up in the Alps, but have hotels walking distance from the train stations and a little more there, but are still pretty spare.

At Domodossola, there's another train that goes over to Locarno on Lake Maggiore. Maggiore is pretty cool, very touristy with lots of super high end hotels and restaurants as well as more affordable ones across the road from the lake.

This drones on for too long, but give an idea of the scenic from Domodossola to Locarno:

From Locarno, one can make the connection through Lugano in Switzerland and Lake Como to Milan and then Florence. The section from Locarno through Lugano along the lakes is spectacular.

(edit) On trains in Italy, there's a weird ticket system where after buying your ticket, you have to stamp it at a machine, typically on the station platform. The conductors on IT trains do not stamp your ticket and will fine you if your ticket is not stamped.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-17-2018 at 08:50 AM.

It’s very easy to get to Geneva from Paris by train. The trip from Geneva into the Valais through the Lavaux (national heritage site) is one of the most scenic journeys in Europe, running along the northern shore of Lac Léman and past the Chateau de Chillon. I live there and every guest who gets the train from Geneva loves it. From there the route to Milan goes through the Simplon via Brig. Get off at Brig and it’s just over an hour up to Zermatt. From there back to Brig and continue on to Milan, Florence, and wherever else you fancy.