Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I’ll have to watch the replay, but there seems to be some entrenched biases in people’s opinions. I would too if I was one of their Dads ha.

One thing that I do remember was how small Berkeley’s air was compared to Tanners on the top air.

El Kanone your opinion is standard bullshit. You ever talked to a judge about being crooked?

Tanner is loose, but he was also tricking in to bombholes, and immediately setting up for another trick. He was trying to get rad, not pass a PSIA exam. I thought his run was the most exciting outside of T.Rice's brain bending run.
    Training for Alpental

I wasn’t at all suggesting judges are crooked, I even stated that judging is hard. I was observing that in my experience the most “ famous “ person a lot of times receives generous scores. That includes Olympic figure skating or Red Bull rampage or even UFC fighting. I watch events not because I care who wins but because I like to see people throw down at a high level. Nothing but respect. We all have our own opinion on what is best even within the stated judging criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    That venue is awkward.
    That was definitely my take on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Agreed the venue seemed pretty lame/awkward -- but at least it was safe from an avy perspective, I guess. Lot of people traversing over to that one steep section.

I thought Aymar's run was underscored, personally (but that's me as a layperson, not evaluating as a judge with a rubric). Tanner's was good and exciting ... but pretty much just tricks. Will be interesting to see how he fairs in the bigger, steeper, more technical venues. Plus, didn't he make a big deal about taking more than just 3s and backflips to the FWT? Seems like the perfect venue for him to show off some of his bigger tricks, and yet he stuck with 3s and backflips...

Kye's run was pretty disappointing.

Seems like maybe alto was playing it safe in hopes to score enough points to stay on the tour next year...? Surprised he didn't throw anything near the top.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Echoing a previous comment, but that face looked like a great run for mortals. Assumption is that FWT is aggressively chasing Japanese popularity and cash flow, but these athletes didn’t have much to play with.

Looking forward to Kicking Horse, Andorra....etc.

Tanner beat Berkeley, big time, but it was not the second place run in that field.

Aymar and Kye, OTOH, did not. Watch those runs next to each other. I suspect you'll agree if you look at it like a judge and based on what was being rewarded today. Or not.

I just went to watch the replay to make sure I hadn't missed something regarding my statements above. Berkeley's run doesn't seem to be in the replay except his approach to the corral. Kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I’ll have to watch the replay, but there seems to be some entrenched biases in people’s opinions. I would too if I was one of their Dads ha.

One thing that I do remember was how small Berkeley’s air was compared to Tanners on the top air.

El Kanone your opinion is standard bullshit. You ever talked to a judge about being crooked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Replay is skipping from the end of the Edder run to the end of the Patterson run. Curious to see Tanner's line.

Yup, replay bounced over stuff...hope they get that fixed. I’d like to see the missing lines

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Replay is skipping from the end of the Edder run to the end of the Patterson run. Curious to see Tanner's line.
    fabio studer's run/crash? is also missing from the replay.
    well, next time I'll stay up late to watch the live because now that's just frustrating.

I'm curious about how bimboes scored so low?

Travis rice got me enjoying watching a snowboard run for the first time in 2 years I think

For the first time in a while I think the top snowboarder beat the skiers. And I root for Tabke, but there's no way his run was better than Navarro's.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by zede View Post
    I'm curious about how bimboes scored so low?
    It's rarely good to go first. No benchmarks set in the pit.

It's rarely good to go first. No benchmarks set in the pit.
    Bias ditto. Just not an 11 place run imho but way better than LY to start the season. There was a lot of looseness in other runs that was scored higher. Replay does not lie Fun show as always. As noted last night judging is hard.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

A pretty mild venue, but it was interesting to see what the World's best made of conditions I can relate to. Unfortunately it devolved into a bit of a slope-style contest, which is impressive, but not my thing. I liked Navarro's line and hard charging, and Rausis style. Tanner skis like a 5 year old (wide stance, back-seat, no pole plants) but obviously knows how to link up the hits. So does Eder, but he also knows how to ski, charged hard, and deserved the win. Turdel looked unchallenged. Berkley was looking good, but needed a finishing move. I liked Rice's finish, but a 95 for meandering through the pow for most of his run?

My take on it as I was watching was that it seemed like the guys were taking a little more conservative approach to the first event. Maybe it was the absence of Ivan "win or explode" Malakhov and George Rodney. I enjoyed it, and there was some great skiing, but there were no "HOLY SHIT DIDJA SEE THAT" moments.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I enjoyed it, and there was some great skiing, but there were no "HOLY SHIT DIDJA SEE THAT" moments.
    I don't think there were really any features where that was available at a reasonable risk level.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Unfortunately it devolved into a bit of a slope-style contest, which is impressive, but not my thing. I liked Navarro's line and hard charging, and Rausis style. Tanner skis like a 5 year old (wide stance, back-seat, no pole plants) but obviously knows how to link up the hits.
    Agreed -- felt more like a backcountry freestyle comp than a big mountain comp.

But yeah, TH has been getting flack for his "gorilla style" since he was a teenager. Seems to work for him so far, but like I said before, it'll be interesting to see how he fares in the more technical venues. Maybe he was playing it safe on the first event, but it's pretty funny he said this last year:

Q: "What do you think you can do differently on some of these faces that the FWT contests are held on?"
    TH: "Skiing is not about 360s, backflips, and 720s, anymore. And if those big-mountain skiers aren't watching how the tricks are evolving in the park, then they've got a big surprise coming next year. I have respect for both disciplines, and I think this is the coolest tour in skiing. But I hope I can bring a little flavor from the park side and have some of the big mountain skiers say, 'Holy shit, we never even thought of that.' "

and then put down the run he did in the tamest, most slopestyle venue. Kye's switch 5 was the most new-school thing I saw. Some flat 3s and a 7 were pretty cool. Nothing like Eder's nosebutter 3 last year.

edit, source: https://www.powder.com/stories/news/...48#sf190593248
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I watched Eder's nosebutter in person last year. It was so fucking sick. Spoke to him after and he (and really, all the athletes too) was so stoked on it. He could hardly believed he'd pulled it off.

Murray's 7 yesterday was badass too.

THblahblahblablah.

I watched Eder's nosebutter in person last year. It was so fucking sick. Spoke to him after and he (and really, all the athletes too) was so stoked on it. He could hardly believed he'd pulled it off.

Murray's 7 yesterday was badass too.

THblahblahblablah.
    I wonder what the other athletes on tour think of thall? I bet this is the first time being around him for the vast majority so they can see if public perception matches the reality. Regardless, pretty cool a living legend like thall is on tour and so far is doing well. So many folks in rooting for this year!

Can't wait for next round!

Ok, so I love these guys but Tanner's run was loose as shit, and how did Aymar beat thing #2? And Kye? He fucking crashed! Grrrrr.

Thanks for all the vibes. Time for a fucking cocktail.

FWIW, He had a good time but was kinda bummed about his score.
    I think Berk was robbed like 3 points... That said, Kye got a little lucky without a big deduct.

Hope Berkley doesn't change his skiing though... I like his style... and his control. It was hard on this non hairy slope to get that control bump in points for no hands down, back seat shenanigans that would screw you on the bigger gnarlier faces.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    I wasn’t at all suggesting judges are crooked, I even stated that judging is hard. I was observing that in my experience the most “ famous “ person a lot of times receives generous scores. That includes Olympic figure skating or Red Bull rampage or even UFC fighting. I watch events not because I care who wins but because I like to see people throw down at a high level. Nothing but respect. We all have our own opinion on what is best even within the stated judging criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Good points, sorry I wasn't quite understanding where you were coming from.

I never saw Kye fall, oftpiste. Clearly he lost control for a bit but he didn't fall. Berkley's run didn't hit enough features, IMO.

As for ugly style, I think Bimbo has the most awkward pole plants and style of anyone.

^^I dunno man, I don't want to be the dad arguing for parental sake so I'll quit after this, but I disagree.

Watch the runs back to back. They skied very similar lines. Kye had way more control issues than B and was on his butt badly when he's behind the trees and comes up with one ski akimbo. He had a couple other less than spot-on landings.

Kye probably got a slightly higher line score for skiing that steep section, but that part wasn't very fluid or charge-y. B opened up some new features that noone had hit, and Kye used a couple of them. B charged hard the whole run and looked more in control.

If you count the features B was maybe down by 2 or three small ones, and had the flat and much better control. The short line score bump doesn't really justify the score differential with the rest of those things considered.
    B won't change his skiing. He's always been on the power over finesse side of things and I doubt that'll change.

Don’t let me stop you! I could rewatch and try to pick apart your opinion but I’m lazy and also that would be lame.

Not lame at all. I'm stopping me! I've always been a freak about studying this stuff since their early days in the juniors. I know it often makes no sense, but I enjoy the conversation and debate.

I have score sheets and judging breakdowns going back 12 years. Two things I do know for sure: scores will always be nearly incomprehensible, and the FWT is a business.

Not lame at all. I'm stopping me! I've always been a freak about studying this stuff since their early days in the juniors. I know it often makes no sense, but I enjoy the conversation and debate.

I have score sheets and judging breakdowns going back 12 years. Two things I do know for sure: scores will always be nearly incomprehensible, and the FWT is a business.
    So I watched both back to back several times, as well as Navarro's, Tabke's, THall's, and Eder's. Having never competed and knowing little about the judging process: I think Kye had control issues for sure, but he took a more technical line albeit with a slight drop in fluidity, had more hits with bigger air as a whole, and pushed the envelope a bit with his switch 5 (which nobody else threw). Also, his major control issue (fall) may have been partially out of view of the judges. But it could also just be judging bias.

Was I disappointed overall? Absolutely. I think Kye could have skied much better, and I wish Tabke threw a 3 or something near the top. But what do I know.

Question: who do you think should have placed second if not THall or B?
    Last edited by auvgeek; 01-20-2019 at 12:06 AM.

photos