Page 98 of 197 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 4912
    I rarely turn mine off except on flats or where I don't want to listen to the hum. I just don't like the way the bike feels when it's off. On eco it will beep loudly then shut off under very heavy loads like if it's super steep and I'm muscling through a tech move at the same time. It sux when this happens because it's usually at the most inopportune time and it can be really tough to bail successfully at that point so I put it in trail mode like I'm pre-shifting on an acoustic bike as I approach the move. It also does that on steep climbs in eco but I haven't had it happen in either of the two higher assist modes.

It hums? Always?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    https://formative.jmir.org/2019/3/e13643/

You get a similar work out but go 40% faster this study concludes. I would say this is going to be some ammunition in some battle areas.
    I don't get how they concluded that 10 beats per minute lower heart rate for a substantially shorter amount of time equals "similar work out."

155 bpm for 40 minutes is a way different workout than 145 bpm for 26 minutes.

Re: the lawsuit. Seems like it'll play out as more of a procedural battle concerning the FS following NEPA than a substantive inquiry into how e-bikes are handled.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I'm not wired to be fast either, but I'm at 45 minutes on a climb, vs 1h15 before my e bike. Western States, wallternate. Up.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
    I saw Levi just made that climb last week in a couple seconds under 12 mins. Ridiculous fast even for an ex pro

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    It hums? Always?
    When you're under a load yes. All of the mid drive units have an electronic noise but some are more significant than others. I know that it's a strong focus at Shimano to reduce it as much as possible in the next generation Steps motors. The hub motor on my folding bike isn't bad but that may be my perception because I've never ridden it anywhere really quiet so it might just be blending into the ambient white noise.

The brose s is the quietest motor I've ridden so far. Its got a very natural and efficient feel when it's pedaled turned off and when it's powered. The rest have a more sudden take off and a bigger dead spot on the initial pedal stroke. It makes them a handful in technical terrain. Especially when starting off. It's possible that the others have improved since I tested 2 years ago.

We also have 4 year old commuter bikes with the Yamaha PW motors. They're fine for the road but would not have bought an emtb with that motor. Way too noisy. The brose is belt driven while the Yamaha and many others use gearing. It's a big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Any land use policy that significantly changes the use patterns on Federal land needs to go through NEPA. It was the reason why the spokesperson was so mealy mouthed. The trails around South lake and Tahoe City are going to be hit hard with mid western tourists on emtbs. Who is paying for the increased trail maintenance and rescue efforts this is going to cause. This suit will stand and the USFS is going to have do some environmental analysis, and they know it. Long live Boomer tree huggers!!!
    I'd differ with the significantly change part. It's already been going on for 4 years. There are only two scenarios that class 1 ebikes change anything, greater uphill speeds which are still lower than an regular mtb going downhill, and on the flats. No ebike is going to go faster than what a regular bike has been doing on good descents, anywhere. I do agree with you on one thing, the wilderness society and their horsey friends will probably win this one, it was a bit of dumbass mistake on the TNF's part. I know the people that did the planning and I'm a little surprised they didn't see this happening.

The trail maintenance and rescue nonsense is just that. It's a slippery slope/red herring or whatever you want to call it. The outdoors have been commoditized, no new device changes that. Instagram has been the source of far more maintenance and rescue burden than anything.

You can thank your boomer tree hugger friends for campgrounds and roads that close for no reason that you used to drive on to get to the 'real' camping. Fuck those geriatrics. We're not dealing with LA asthma and rivers catching on fire anymore like when they were in their 20s. They need to learn when to quit. Their arguments have transformed from 'save things' to 'we just don't approve.' It's not the same thing.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 11-28-2019 at 11:55 AM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I am not going any faster uphill on ebike than regular bike, granny gear is about the same. I get a little help is all.

On the flats yeah, I do go faster but also slow down around bipeds and animals. Some times I even pass slower folks, always ring the bell and say on your right. If that gets their nickers in a knot that is their problem.

Its a shame to loose territory to what is really selfish interests. Where I live there is a National Historic Military park. They have been anti recreation for ever. There are miles of fields, woods and rivers with trails for walking and nothing else. These are barely used. Park police sit in their air conditioned or heated vehicles most of the day and only get out to write tickets to people who let their dogs run off leash or hassle folks to pay the "day use" fee which amounts to legal extortion.

So many lost possibilities due to thin skins, ego attitudes and bureaucrats with big NO rubber stamps.

So I go ride my bike.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I am not going any faster uphill on ebike than regular bike, granny gear is about the same. I get a little help is all.

On the flats yeah, I do go faster but also slow down around bipeds and animals. Some times I even pass slower folks, always ring the bell and say on your right. If that gets their nickers in a knot that is their problem.

Its a shame to loose territory to what is really selfish interests. Where I live there is a National Historic Military park. They have been anti recreation for ever. There are miles of fields, woods and rivers with trails for walking and nothing else. These are barely used. Park police sit in their air conditioned or heated vehicles most of the day and only get out to write tickets to people who let their dogs run off leash or hassle folks to pay the "day use" fee which amounts to legal extortion.

So many lost possibilities due to thin skins, ego attitudes and bureaucrats with big NO rubber stamps.

So I go ride my bike.
    It's on your left, not your right

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I'd differ with the significantly change part. It's already been going on for 4 years. There are only two scenarios that class 1 ebikes change anything, greater uphill speeds which are still lower than an regular mtb going downhill, and on the flats. No ebike is going to go faster than what a regular bike has been doing on good descents, anywhere. I do agree with you on one thing, the wilderness society and their horsey friends will probably win this one, it was a bit of dumbass mistake on the TNF's part. I know the people that did the planning and I'm a little surprised they didn't see this happening.

The trail maintenance and rescue nonsense is just that. It's a slippery slope/red herring or whatever you want to call it. The outdoors have been commoditized, no new device changes that. Instagram has been the source of far more maintenance and rescue burden than anything.

You can thank your boomer tree hugger friends for campgrounds and roads that close for no reason that you used to drive on to get to the 'real' camping. Fuck those geriatrics. We're not dealing with LA asthma and rivers catching on fire anymore like when they were in their 20s. They need to learn when to quit. They're arguments have transformed from 'save things' to 'we just don't approve.' It's not the same thing.
    The root of the problem right there, "we just don't approve". I'm so completely fed up with that generation telling me, in the one right behind them, that we don't count and they still run the show. 40+ years of getting treated like little kids and being told we don't know what's good for us has really gotten old. Time to step away from your pedestals you old farts.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    It's on your left, not your right

Well most people do not know what to do often go to the left. Had people cut me off when trying to pass them on the left as normally one would do.

Passing on the right is what ends up happening most of the time.
    watch out for snakes

I'm at the tail end of the boomers and I'll readily admit that my generation has made me feel embarrassed and ashamed on many fronts. The primary being the war on climate science and action. I'm not sure it's a generational thing tho. Maybe greed is the dominant human condition. It was there in my parents generation with cigarettes and cancer denial, and several other atrocities. I see it in young successful people now too - selfish consumption that has a steep price on a world under stress and attack. I was more optimistic 20 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Calling bullshit on that one, unless you're purposefully going really slow.

When I've ridden ebikes, I make it up my normal climbs 30-40% faster. With less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

When I've ridden ebikes, I make it up my normal climbs 30-40% faster. With less effort.
    On the road that's true, it's a joy to fly up the hills 5 or 6 mph faster than normal. On the emtb, it depends on a few things like trail condition and your intentions. The only time I really use it to go faster is to escape a hoard of mosquitoes in the summer. And even then, it's only a few mph added speed due to the rocky trails around here. Maybe on flow trails it'd be different but I don't think by much -for me anyway

Agree with Toast. Sure you can go uber slow on an Ebike, but it's silly. I get it if you're riding with someone on an analog bike, but honestly you have to TRY to go slow enough to stay with them. On fire roads, I've gotten pretty good at pushing them with one arm while we "pedal assist" together!
    The roadie/XC/Spando/StravaClimb crowd is another story. I have to be in maximum assist to climb faster than them. So special.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Happy Thanksgiving! Go ride off all the butt hurt cunting up this thread.

Been following advice from I. Here and not automatically plugging batteries in after every ride.
    Hey, squeeze a bit of longevity out of theses things, right?
    Drove an hour to trailhead yesterday and realized my bike was at 38% and wife’s was at 60%.
    She’s pissed at me. I did 75% of our 1800’ climb with no assist in an effort to conserve. Let me tell you how much that sucked.
    Ended up barely squeezing in one lap instead of two. Wife still pissed at me.
    Fuck that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

LOL. Yeah I'd be that guy too I'm still gonna try not to shorten the battery life by treating it poorly, that's an unnecessarily expensive kind of laziness. I'm pretty sure that my faulty brain syndrome will fuck me at some point though. :shrug:

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Yea it’s bullshit, I mainly use mine for getting deep to do trail work, “recovery days” and staging or retrieval of shuttle vehicles. You can definitely pick your level of assist and can go the same speed as a regular bike, but you can go much faster if you want.

As far as the lawsuit goes, it’s not gonna make any difference IMHO whatsoever in ebikes being used. Even in the Tahoe Basin where there only allowed on moto legal trails there is zero enforcement, and no plans to enforce, there studying which trails there gonna open up officially right now, a funded project started this summer.

Probably met horses 8ish times on the trails this summer, I doubt any of them even noticed I was on a ebike, common sense trail courtesy goes a long way.

I use granny gear a lot so yeah, I go slow on the up.

If it is gradual up then I can use a some what higher gear or so. Never really time myself and I get there when I get there.

Not into racing or competition so y’all can have that. And I carry my own beers so you do not have to wait for me. ��
    watch out for snakes

Haa #winning

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    LOL. Yeah I'd be that guy too I'm still gonna try not to shorten the battery life by treating it poorly, that's an unnecessarily expensive kind of laziness. I'm pretty sure that my faulty brain syndrome will fuck me at some point though. :shrug:
    Sorry bud! But for the record, ending a ride at 38 pecent isn't what I recommended. That's actually bad for the battery too. Under 55 you should charge back to 60 to 80 percent as soon as you get home. Seeing how it's getting late in the season many places, charge to 65 - 75 percent and store in a cool place. Refrigerator if possible. Not the freezer

^^ Dude it wasn't me jm2e is the bad guy here...

I'm with SB, i tend to go pretty slow on the ups too. Sometimes I'll cruise up things but then I'm just sitting around waiting for people anyway so why not enjoy the time out in the woods? Pretty much the only time I go up fast is so I can get a few minutes to smoke a bowl without my daughter giving me shit.

Just got home from riding.
    Plugging in.
    Unplug just before riding tomorrow.
    Pug in after.
    Repeat.
    This shall work just fine for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Uggh I topped up my battery yesterday because I was going to go ride and get in one last good dry ride before winter gets here today but my foot is wrecked and I didn't go so now it's probably going to go into hibernation with a full battery. At least the basement never gets above 50 degrees and unless we go days near zero it never goes below freezing so it's like cold storage.