Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ford vs Chevy Reliability (in 15+ year old trucks)

I'm in the market for a pickup for ~$10k. Ideally I'd like an older toyota tundra but those seem to drift north in price if the miles are moderate (150k). Looks like I can get an older Chevy Silverado or Ford F150 for my price with decent miles and around the year 2005.

Can anyone chime in about those engine's reliability? Poking around on Ford/Chevy forums is just an exercise in circle jerking.

For mid-2000s Chevy/GMC in half-ton, you're looking at the 5.3 or 4.8 V8 motors. I don't think you save much in gas with the 4.8, and give up some HP, so go with the 5.3, which should be plenty reliable. All the 1/2-ton transmissions are the 4L60E, which is OK -- try to find one that wasn't used a bunch for towing. One problem area on them is the transfer case in 4WD models -- google "pump rub" so you know what to look for.

I am a lot less familiar with Fords. Only significant problem I know of -- offhand -- is the 5.4 V8 had spark plug thread problems (stripping out the plug holes easily when changing them, or actually blowing out the plugs while driving). Google this issue for what years to avoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yeah, the Chevy and Ford forums are no help due to rampant bias.

Chevy pre-AFM engines vs. Ford is pretty much a wash. If you're looking at an AFM engine, plan to disable it (if the owner hasn't already done so.) In a word, AFM is a fucking disaster -- oops. that's 2 words -- but it can be disabled via any of numerous aftermarket devices.

Frequency of Triton V8's spitting spark plugs is overstated. It happens, but rarely. If you're looking at a truck with a Triton V8, the Romeo engines are less risky for spitting plugs and piston slap. You can ascertain the engine plant (Romeo or Windsor) via the VIN.

If I were in your position, I'd expand your market to include pre-AFM Chevy 350 V8s and maybe go old school and find a truck with the bomber Ford 300/6.

Coils and rusted manifolds are issues with older Ford's. Fortunately coils are easy and cheap. Look for rust in the rear corners of the cab too.

I think the reliability bias goes to the 5.3 GM but at that age and mileage over all care and recent maintenance will be the greater factor.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Yeah, the Chevy and Ford forums are no help due to rampant bias.

Chevy pre-AFM engines vs. Ford is pretty much a wash. If you're looking at an AFM engine, plan to disable it (if the owner hasn't already done so.) In a word, AFM is a fucking disaster -- oops. that's 2 words -- but it can be disabled via any of numerous aftermarket devices.

Frequency of Triton V8's spitting spark plugs is overstated. It happens, but rarely. If you're looking at a truck with a Triton V8, the Romeo engines are less risky for spitting plugs and piston slap. You can ascertain the engine plant (Romeo or Windsor) via the VIN.

If I were in your position, I'd expand your market to include pre-AFM Chevy 350 V8s and maybe go old school and find a truck with the bomber Ford 300/6.
    Pre-AFM Chevy 350/8s were found in Chevy trucks pre-1999? 1999 is when the Silverado (GMT800) was introduced with the Vortecs.

I've read about the spark plug problem in the 5.4L. I also heard it was corrected with adding another thread in a certain year (would need to double check).

It sounds like the 5.3 Vortec vs. 5.4 Triton is kind of a wash then?

I'm entirely when it comes to american made cars. I've owned a 1995 Toyota Landcruiser (FZJ80) with the 1FZFE engine for the last 10 years

I think the 5.4 Ford motors had more problems with the spark plug holes stripping out when changing plugs than actually spitting out the plugs. Either way, it is a problem you want to avoid.

None of the GMT 800 GM trucks had cylinder deactivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I’m driving a 1997 Ford with the 5.4. Had a plug blow out about 2 hours from home. Called my mechanic he said it was ok to drive home. Left it with him a few days and he said it shouldn’t happen again. Not sure what he did but haven’t had any problem since. Had a few coils go out as well. Nothings been very expensive to fix. I did just get it back because the AC compressor went out. That’s been the biggest expense so far.

Was a Chevy man for a long time had 4-5 different Chevys between 1990 and 1998. Bought the current Ford because I got it for significantly below book and couldn’t pass up the price. Turned out I’m still driving it 19 years later. I would say it’s the best truck I’ve had.

It’s time to start looking something new. Will probably go with another Ford but it’s hard to get rid of the 97 when it still runs so well.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

2011 Chevy w/ 6L v8 gasser has been solid

Why are you getting a pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Pre-AFM Chevy 350/8s were found in Chevy trucks pre-1999?
    GM 350 (aka 5.7L) was available 1969 to 2002

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    5.0L
    solid engine

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Why are you getting a pickup?

My needs have changed since moving to Montana and the land cruiser.

1. Functionality. I need to throw an animal in the bed and then hose it down twice a year. Haul all manner of crap (not throwing a ton of brush into the cruiser) which I didn’t before. My ideal camping style is now a truck bed camper.

2. Modernity. Long term upgrades include better mileage, modern Amenities. Don’t think I’ll get #2 in this go round.

I’ll prolly get 17k out of my cruiser when I sell.

We have a 2006 F150 with the 4.2 V6 5 speed manual. It's the truck we love to hate on, but honestly it's been good to me. Had an engine issue in 2010 but whatever voodoo the mechanic did has kept it at bay. The V6 gets better gas mileage than our V8 GX470.

We definitely love our Toyota much more and will most likely swap the F150 for a second gen Tundra.

Actually, you should just chop your LC into a pickup and have the best of both worlds:

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical...kvark_main.htm

Not helpful for your Ford/Chevy debate. But that's my ideal pickup.

I would think you could find a Tundra with reasonable miles for around $10k, but maybe they're less common and therefore more expensive in Montana.

I don't know much about the major mechanicals in the mid-2000s GM pickups, but having owned several other GM vehicles from that era, I can say that the durability of the accessory stuff (switches, window motors, interior bits, that sort of thing) was generally pretty poor around that time. If buying a GM from that era I'd certainly look for one that had as much manual stuff as possible.
    In contrast, my 2004 Tundra with 210k pretty much refuses to break. I had a power steering rack go, that's about it.

I would really suspect that it comes down to maintenance and mileage more than brand - with very specific exceptions. You can often find very lightly used, well maintained 10 y/o trucks that will run for a long time to come. You can also find very heavily abused 2 y/o trucks that are juuust about done.

The thing I appreciate (especially now as a Tundra owner) was how available and cheap parts are for american trucks. Maybe the Toyota breaks less - but it is going to cost twice as much... and let's face it all trucks are going to eventually break. Nothing lasts for ever.

At that age though - no matter what you go with I would look for the base model. Keep it simple.

We have an 01 and 03 f150 both with the 5.4, both have over 200k and runs like a champ. We overload them and beat the hell out of them daily for work.

We also have an 02 GMC That is the biggest hunk of shit and is always breaking down and needing repairs.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maybe I just hold out for a Gen 1 Tundra then. Or a 2003 F150. Here's what I found on the ford spark plug issue on another forum

1997-2003 5.4 trucks were known for spark plugs ejecting while going down the road due to not enough plug threads. I don't think that happens too often, but they were known to, nonetheless.

2004-2007 5.4 engines had better threads and didn't have the plug blowing issue but instead they had 2 piece plugs (the bottom of the plug was a porcelain shell and a separate piece from the top part) and they were known for breaking off in the head upon removal. They had plug problems for a long time until finally in 2008 they started using 1 piece plugs again and there were no more issues afterwards.

In late 2002 (December) they supposedly switched to 8 threads vs 6 which helped but did not solve the problem.

the unicorn ford engine to me is the 4.9l inline 6
    Xtra cab F150 with the fuel injected 4.9L, MT, reasonable miles, non-rusted, non-clapped and clean title is definitely my unicorn.

Here is what's local to Missoula + 100 mile radius for Tundras. Not a bad mix

https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/...631895593.html (17k)

https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/...628191057.html (10k but rebuilt title)

https://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/...624447319.html (13.5k probably a good deal but outside my strike zone)

https://missoula.craigslist.org/ctd/...617337678.html (10k, 170k miles)

P.S. anyone wanna by my Land Cruiser? I'll deliver.

the unicorn ford engine to me is the 4.9l inline 6
    I mentioned the Ford 300/6 in my first post. Fantastic engine

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    P.S. anyone wanna by my Land Cruiser? I'll deliver.
    How much?

They all have issues. Pick which badge looks best to you. Get one that wasn't used to tow stuff. Anticipate repairs.

Been pretty happy with the 5.0 Ford coyote motor in my Ford, it's a long term proven design. I had nothing but issues with my 08 Tundra, all kinds of electrical gremlins that they could never figure out and ended up replacing a bunch of the wiring, front/back end both went out by 100K. I'm pretty sure we got a lemon though, so not knocking Toyota, but it did keep me from buying another Tundra. I will say that the Tundra was hands down much better in deep snow, likely due to the increased use of all that traction control crap in the newer F-150. You can partially disable it in the 14 Ford, but not completely, might be different with the older versions. Often wish I had my 68 Chevy with a 327 back.......

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Xtra cab F150 with the fuel injected 4.9L, MT, reasonable miles, non-rusted, non-clapped and clean title is definitely my unicorn.
    There was a decent one for sale here about a week ago.
    I'm still partial to the 5.0 though. And I've owned both the 5.0 & the 4.9.
    Fucking amazed @ how well my bros truck runs @ 390k+