Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    He's on my FB but I only get on FB once or twice a year, I guess I should log on and get him hooked up with Musk.

How much weight would that steel pod require to be neutral buoyancy? A lot.

Options are good though. Rain could trap the last few longer, or they could be too weak. Even if it’s just one.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    A likely takeaway based on his Tweets of a "second one that is 30cm shorter is almost complete" is that this a laudable sideshow bordering on stunt but a sideshow nonetheless due to the fact they're already iterating the design even though he claims the first one will fit.

I hope they get the kids out safely before they get a chance to evaluate Musk's tube because even though it's an interesting concept, .....
    this is pretty much how it looks to me. seems like there a number of reasons why global tweeting isn't the way to go about this and a number of reasons musk apparently chose to or couldn't resist.

Looking like I should have popcorn for breakfast. Jesus H Christ. TRG summer mode in full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thanks a girl has the goods in technical aspects. Pretty insane.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Where_is_...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Yes seems like a 7th has been reported.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

8 out! And the pumps are holding out against the rain!

ETA: Rescue operations on hold for resupply and rest, resume tomorrow.
    Last edited by Summit; 07-09-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Jesus what a first world tech bro over engineered solution to the problem. Yeah no problem let’s just fabricate and ship titanium tubes with assorted attachments and linings and handles across the world and up the mountain and down into the cave up and down diving with them deep into the cave system. You’ll probably only need a couple hundred more divers and the related thousands of tanks of additional air to ferry them in and out. Jesus will the fucking tubes even fit through the narrowest opening in the flooded or Unflooded sections? I doubt it from the videos of the rescuers passing tanks through narrow openings. Maybe if we had to extract 13 infants or something but these are basically healthy adolescents.

Instead you could just pull them out one diver to one kid who learned the basics of scuba diving like the tens of thousands annually who learn in 2 hours in Discovery dive programs all over the work before jumping into the deep without drowning. Tie them to their diver and put helmets on them and lash those regulators to their faces. Yeah that’s basically what theyre doing. Of course since you got politicians and the military involved it’s become a full on seige. Send someone to slip in and unlock the back gate? No, we need seige towers, 50,000 men, catapults, etc etc and maybe a tech bro genius who can specially engineer something radically new in between building his environmental cars that have carbon and environmental footprint way higher than a used ford pickup.

Maybe build a cave rescue app too while we’re at it.

Perhaps Musk should just shut his pie hole, stop squandering billions shooting rockets into space in some vainglorious mission to find another planet and save 13 Thai soccer players and instead spend his money saving the starving and educating the billions of undereducated breeding and building and mining and combusting this planet to death.

Tech bros. 🤪

Tired of waiting for you Model 3, are you?

Soccer team lost in Flooded coves

I don't think many people fully grasp the amount of pumping taking place. for all we know they have the cave pumped down substantially with a few shorter dives along the escape route. that's currently my guess.

either way this rescue mission is epic to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I don't think many people fully grasp the amount of pumping taking place. for all we know they have the cave pumped down substantially with a few shorter dives along the escape route. that's currently my guess.

either way this rescue mission is epic to say the least
    Yes, that was the surprise. But really, the only thing to do while they worked on a rescue plan, but thanks to the weather, they got lucky.

I wonder what the output of those pumps were?

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

No doubt folks downstream know and are dealing with it. Might also impact the wells that use the water that filters through those caves and the mountain. First things first though. Only three to go then a massive clean up operation.

So Musk is trying to help and the tgr proz are typing their hate. So, what exactly are YOU doing to help?

Because Musk is using this to further his brand, not actually help.
    Live Free or Die

sometimes the best help is staying clear of it. or at least not publicly promoting the capacities of your business and additional possible headaches for the already stressed capacities of the people on the ground. musk could have given all the same "help" without telling the world. but if the divers rescue the kids without his help, the world would never know about the casual selflessness, outside the box thinking, and high-speed production.

Worth noting that it is very much Musk's style to brainstorm publicly and act on public design feedback... the guy has more PR than he knows what to do with. Seems to me that he is genuinely interested in helping. Demanding he help but not mention it would set an entirely different standard vs any other organization, agency, or government involved in the rescue effort. Nobody is bashing them for offering support and publicly mentioning it, including the ones whose solutions are not being used (such as the inflatable tube people).

This guy on twitter claims that this is video of the tight spot in the cave.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/areta/sta...779520/video/1

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

That's not the cave. The thread mentions that all over below that post

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    This guy on twitter claims that this is video of the tight spot in the cave.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/areta/sta...779520/video/1

fuck. that.

I've dove in zero viz and overhead (ice), I've dove current... but I'm not a confined space diver... the number of times I've taken my BC and tank off to pass an obstacle because I had to I can count on one hand, because fuck that.

Confined space + current + overhead = fuck. that.

edit: ah I see that is not the cave in question... I was thinking the water suddenly cleared up a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Worth noting that it is very much Musk's style to brainstorm publicly and act on public design feedback... the guy has more PR than he knows what to do with. Seems to me that he is genuinely interested in helping. Demanding he help but not mention it would set an entirely different standard vs any other organization, agency, or government involved in the rescue effort. Nobody is bashing them for offering support and publicly mentioning it, including the ones whose solutions are not being used (such as the inflatable tube people).
    nobody demanded he help and nobody demanded he not mention it. his social media presence, wealth and potential to benefit far surpass everybody else involved.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    That's not the cave. The thread mentions that all over below that post
    Sorry as I can’t see the comments since I don’t have an account in Twitter - it not savvy in twitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

^now that's hilarious... although I had to google who Grimes was...

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

There's a lot of really big pumps. I'd bet a couple millions of gallons per minute.

An article I read had it at 400,000 gallons an hour. That was a couple days ago so I bet it is more now. Which is a shitload of water but probably not enough to change things if its being actively refilled by an entire aquifer.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

This is TGR.

Some cretin will come up with a better solution.
    POTD